Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Current best value Android Huawei Ascend G300

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

What's the camera like on this phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭iwo

snaps wrote: »
    What's the camera like on this phone?
    If you pm you email i can send you samples

• Registered Users Posts: 5,519 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Just unlocked this baby ,very impressed so far.
    Can I disable network data for the time being and just use wifi until I sort out a decent data plan off 02 ? Is this possible ?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭jgbyr

Zardoz wrote: »
    Just unlocked this baby ,very impressed so far.
    Can I disable network data for the time being and just use wifi until I sort out a decent data plan off 02 ? Is this possible ?
    Thanks

Settings - Wireless & Networks - Mobile Networks - untick Data Enabled

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭boatbuilder

Just killed my old nokia 2330. (Egg in my pocket, its a long story!)

I've never had a smartphone, but have played with ipads/android tablets etc.
    Would this make a good first smartphone for someone with big fingers?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,897 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭The_Thing

For anyone considering this phone http://www.theregister.co.uk/ has a review of it here.

And for those of you too lazy to click the link - Their verdict:
    I’d suggest this is the first budget Android phone that doesn’t require the user to sacrifice anything vital in the name of impecunity. The G300 does everything the majority of smartphone users will want, does them well, and is as cheap as chips. At £100 it’s the bargain of the year.

Just a query about how to get the €20 off by getting a Tesco sim....

So I have a vodafone sim from my old broke phone and want to use vodafone on the G300.

I have ordered the free sim from tesco. What do I have to do with this exactly? Do I have to put it in my old phone, do I have to top up with tesco etc.... I'm just not understanding the procedure here! At what point have I technically switched over to tesco?

And when I get the G300, do vodafone give me a new sim or do i use my old one?

Just a query about how to get the €20 off by getting a Tesco sim....

So I have a vodafone sim from my old broke phone and want to use vodafone on the G300.

I have ordered the free sim from tesco. What do I have to do with this exactly? Do I have to put it in my old phone, do I have to top up with tesco etc.... I'm just not understanding the procedure here! At what point have I technically switched over to tesco?

And when I get the G300, do vodafone give me a new sim or do i use my old one?

Do you do that online?

1 go online tesco and order sim, you should type in you voda numer and you will receive sim card from tesco with your old number.
    2 go online Vodafone and order g300 as a new customer, then you will asked for your tesco number. Type it in and this is it. You will receive new vodafone sim card with your phone.

I did it online to avoid bringing documents and answering questions... Online is hassle free. And phone came next morning...

Thanks iwo. Will my new tesco sim have the same number as my old vodafone one?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭choons

. . . I have ordered the free sim from tesco. . . .
    Thanks iwo. Will my new tesco sim have the same number as my old vodafone one?

Did you specifically request your Vodafone number to be switched to Tesco when you ordered the Tesco sim card?

If not, then the Tesco sim card will just be a new 089 number. When you switch to Vodafone with the new phone, this 089 number will be brought to Vodafone.

If you were already with Vodafone, you could just put that sim straight into the new phone and not worry about switching numbers ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭fionn_mac

choons wrote: »
    If you were already with Vodafone, you could just put that sim straight into the new phone and not worry about switching numbers ;)

If you are already with vodafone I would still do the tesco simcard malarkey to save you €20. you then end with a new sim card with a 089 number. ignore this and just starting use your old vodafone sim card in the phone (once your simcard is not a really old one). you save on the unlocking step the rest of us who arent on vodafone need to go through to get our other sim cards working.

I picked one up for the €109.99 (129.99-20), unlocked it via ebay (thanks for the link above). Was too impatient to wait for the free sim card in post from tesco, bought one instore for 2.50e. The phone seems good, better than the HTC I had previously. havent gone through the rooting process yet. with 48months network (being the ripe young age of 18!) have it working at 20e p/m for all texts,calls,data (tho no internet texts). not bad

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭choons

fionn_mac wrote: »
    If you are already with vodafone I would still do the tesco simcard malarkey to save you €20. you then end with a new sim card with a 089 number. ignore this and just starting use your old vodafone sim card in the phone (once your simcard is not a really old one). you save on the unlocking step the rest of us who arent on vodafone need to go through to get our other sim cards working.

That's what I meant, sorry!

Just don't go switching your actual number to Tesco and then back to Vodafone :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭phonejacker

if you switch your number to vodafone when buying the huawei ascent g300 they give 20e of the phone and up to 120e credit. is it 120e in one go or do you have to top up by 20e every month to get 20e a month of the "free" credit?

if you switch your number to vodafone when buying the huawei ascent g300 they give 20e of the phone and up to 120e credit. is it 120e in one go or do you have to top up by 20e every month to get 20e a month of the "free" credit?

You do it once only - when you purchase the phone.

Got the phone today.... my first smart phone and I'm pretty impressed so far....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

There's a CM9 rom on Modaco now. I couldn't get it to work properly though.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭Technique

Here goes small tutorial how to make most of the phone:

1. Go to Tesco Mobile and order Yourself a free sim card

2. After You have card at Your hand go to Vodafone shop and tell them that You want to switch netork from Tesco to Vodafone -- 20 euros off the phone price.

2a. If You have unwanted phone You can bring it with You and ask Vodafone if they want it - from 5 to 50 euros off the phone price.

3. GO to eBay to purchase unlock code for this phone.

4. Go to ModaCo and follow instruction there to root Your phone.

5. Go to ClockworkMod Recovery for Huawei U8815/Ascend G 300 to install ClockworkMod Recovery (so You can install custom room on it.

6. Go to de-branded Rom for G300 to install custom room on it.

7. At this point You should receive Your unlock code so You can put Your sim in G300 and start playing.

I went thru above and now have unlocked and de-branded phone.

If You have any questions let me know.

Tom

I'm already with Tesco Mobile, but I'm guessing I need a SIM card with a different number. When I'm filling out the online form for a free SIM it asks for my mobile number. Surely I can't give my current (Tesco) number?

You can use your your number but it can be not active for few hours. You will be on voda network for day or two and then you can switch back to tesco after you unlock your phone...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭wilser

All my Vodafone apps have disappeared,the screen froze while I was on wifi and when I got it going again the apps where gone :-)

• Advertisement

Watch for restarts etc.... It could be main board issue
    http://www.modaco.com/topic/355254-random-factory-reset-vodafone-apps-disappeared/

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭dakid

wilser wrote: »
    All my Vodafone apps have disappeared,the screen froze while I was on wifi and when I got it going again the apps where gone :-)

I have the same problem and the phone has wiped all my apps 2 times since it first happened.

I got this phone in the uk would i be able to return it here does anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭Technique

If I unlock/root/add a custom rom, will this affect the roll out of ICS for this phone later in the summer?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,643 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

got mine delivered today, still waiting on the unlock code but first impressions are pretty good. I've been using an Orange San Francisco - the Ascend is definitely quicker, and the screen seems much brighter and clearer (though I didn't get one of the OSFs with the OLED screen).

It feels like a quality phone too, it's solid and the screen is responsive. A good option for any OSF owners now looking for a cheap upgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Technique wrote: »
    If I unlock/root/add a custom rom, will this affect the roll out of ICS for this phone later in the summer?
    ICS is already out for the 8818 which is the Chinese version of the phone. However, installing it will lock your bootloader which means you won't be able to use custom roms anymore. apparently Huawei have provided instructions to undo the bootloader lock but they're in Chinese so it's not very clear.

To answer your question though, no it shouldn't. You won't be able to do an ota update but you could still install from an SD card. I think you'd be better off not installing the official ics until someone has made a foolproof method of defeating the lock or else use a custom ics rom like CM 9. CM9 is already avaiable but bluetooth and the camera aren't working yet.

Edit: It might already be happening. Happy days. Keep an eye on developments in the ICS threads here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 ORDOLAN

Hi I got the G300 and before I buy the unlock code on ebay I wanted to make sure there is not a specifc unlock code which needed to be used for vodafone Ireland? There are a number of unlock code sellers on ebay, will any of these work? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭Tony H

Got an unlock code for an Irish vodafone g300 here
    http://myworld.ebay.co.uk/specialize?ssPageName=ADME:L:OC:IE:1181
    Ordered it around 6.30 pm had the code by 11.30 next day

• Registered Users Posts: 3 ORDOLAN

Thanks a mil

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭k123456

I am planning to buy phone and flash ICS on it when available and one of the custom roms mentioned above ( in the meantime)

I need to get an unlock code

Is the unlock code permanemt, now matter how man roms i install

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,643 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

k123456 wrote: »
    If i buy the phone, and do not put any custom roms on it, or modify it, is then suitable for an ICS install

depends on whether Vodafone decide to push out an update I think. The VF ROM it ships with is fine btw, there are a few pointless custom apps that you can't remove but other than that there's no VF branding.

Advertisement