Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nervous system whack

• 26-05-2012 12:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭

Hi,

I've been making steady progress since starting squats and deadlifts last September. The loads now feel heavy to me. I get to the gym twice a week and alternate exercises as follows:

Day one

Overhead press
    Squat
    Pull up (parallel grip)

Day two

Bench press
    Stiff-legged deadlift
    Pull up (wide overhand grip)

2 warm up sets and 3 work sets of six reps for each exercise.

After each workout I feel great but fairly wiped out until I get food in. In the following hours and lying in bed later on I feel wired. It's hard to explain. It's a twitchy, nervy, slightly spaced feeling that I'm attributing to the effect of the workout on my central nervous system.

Is there anything that can be done to dampen this effect?

Having run around the gym like a maniac doing millions of exercises for years with little or no results I'm very happy with this pared down approach.

Any advice will be much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

There's a name on it but I forget. I get that after long cycles sometimes. I read somewhere that it was due to not replacing salts. On long cycles I took a bottle of some sports drink with some sugars and salts (it's years ago so I forget the name) and it stopped happening.

*take this with a grain of salt, it's a long time ago for me and I know little about nutrition.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I doubt it's your CNS, tis more likely your nutrition.

What's your diet like?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 38,921 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

humbert wrote: »
    There's a name on it but I forget. I get that after long cycles sometimes. I read somewhere that it was due to not replacing salts. On long cycles I took a bottle of some sports drink with some sugars and salts (it's years ago so I forget the name) and it stopped happening.
    you are referring to electrolytes, and I doubts that's the issue when the OP is doing 2 warm up sets and 3 work sets of six reps across 3 exercises.
    I doubt it's your CNS, tis more likely your nutrition.

What's your diet like?

Agree.
    Not sure why you attributed it to a CNS issue first.
    What's your calorie consumption daily, and specifically around workouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

This is what I was inarticulately referring to:

http://www.livestrong.com/article/424440-electrolytes-restless-legs/

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Mickery

Thanks for the replies.

Height 172 cm
    Weight 71 kg
    Maintenance calories ~2700

On a workout day I'm eating around 3000 calories.

Rice, chicken, veg, fruit, beef, olive oil, fish oil, dark chocolate, milk, eggs, nuts, yoghurt.

I eat a rice, chicken and veg stir fry a couple of hours before the workout and everything else afterwards. I drink a litre of milk instead of water while working out.

• Advertisement

The reason I think it's something to do with the nervous system is because it feels like I have excess adrenaline hours after working out (and even the following day sometimes). Is this possible? Could I work this off by going for a long walk or something?

I thought it was a normal feeling \ response to the full body movements now that I'm getting used to them and adding more weight.

It doesn't matter anyway, I'm gonna keep going till my head explodes :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Mickery wrote: »
    The reason I think it's something to do with the nervous system is because it feels like I have excess adrenaline hours after working out (and even the following day sometimes). Is this possible? Could I work this off by going for a long walk or something?

I thought it was a normal feeling \ response to the full body movements now that I'm getting used to them and adding more weight.

I'd have said if you're going to feel anything after strength training it'd be doozy, slow and perhaps very fatigued/lazy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,920 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Mickery wrote: »

Are you taking a pre-workout supplement?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭token

I get this as well as I usually only have about 2-2.5 hours between finishing training and going to sleep and it's not really enough time to wind down properly. Try a magnesium supplement that helps knocks me out.

Hanley wrote: »
    I'd have said if you're going to feel anything after strength training it'd be doozy, slow and perhaps very fatigued/lazy.

Yes, this is exactly how I feel straight after a workout. Wiped out until I get food in. I get the other feeling hours later watching TV or lying in bed.
    Are you taking a pre-workout supplement?

No.
    token wrote: »
    I get this as well as I usually only have about 2-2.5 hours between finishing training and going to sleep and it's not really enough time to wind down properly. Try a magnesium supplement that helps knocks me out.

Thanks. I'll try that. It does interfere with my sleep.

• Advertisement

I came across this article on a blog I like:

http://suppversity.blogspot.ie/2013/02/a-double-dose-of-hiit-vs-aerobics.html

What interested me was a short side note at the very end.

Sympathetic overtraining fits my symptoms and again comes back to my feeling that it is a nervous system issue:

"associated with performance decrements and fatigue yet in combination with an almost stimulant like restlessness, disturbed sleeping patterns, weight loss, and accelerated heart rate".

Thought I'd post it to see if it rings a bell for anyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

I used to get something much the same, when Id be trying to chill out at the end of the day or get to sleep Id notice Id feel very twitchy.
    For me it was overtraining, Id take 3 days to a week off and Id be fine. Id also be stronger when Id start back.
    The only thing is for the most part I was doing much more than 2 sessions per week but then again if you never take a break or if yours stress levels are high then that could be a factor too.
    To find out if it is overtraining all you have to do is take a week off.

Thanks for the input. I had almost two weeks off over Christmas. It took 3 or 4 sessions to get back into it. I did lower the weights slightly but I had to bail on two of the sessions as I felt like I was about to pass out or throw up. Back into it properly now and enjoying it. I threw some glucose in my drink and it helped massively. Just reading some advice on deadlifts on another thread. I think pushing my absolute max every session might be the problem. I was trying to progressively overload and up the weight every couple of weeks but that isn't working for me at the moment. I'm going to try and follow some of the programming methods posted.

Advertisement