Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

operation transformation 2013

• 03-01-2013 9:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭

Sorry if this is already posted somewhere!

But it's Starting back next Tuesday night! I love it! I've decided to follow some of the leaders this year too :) (should be fun!:))

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Apple tree

Anyone know of any groups I can join for operation transformation 2013. Drogheda, bettystown area?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭DenMan

Thanks OP. I really like the idea of splitting the show into two half hour episodes rather than a once off, one hour, once a week show. The very best of luck to all the participants (on screen and those off). :)

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭foggy

I've been looking at the webpage on RTE.ie but there seems to be alot of problems with the links. The breakfast options and lunch options open up the shopping list for weeks 2 & 3. Is anyone else having that problem too?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

foggy wrote: »
    I've been looking at the webpage on RTE.ie but there seems to be alot of problems with the links. The breakfast options and lunch options open up the shopping list for weeks 2 & 3. Is anyone else having that problem too?

I went into Charlottes page. In her biography after one paragraph it suddenly changes to "Linda"

Maybe it was a bit rushed.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

I think it was a bit rushed in places but hopefully they'l iron out the kinks. So peeved I wanted to sign up for the 5k already but registration doesn't open until the 22nd according to the website. I am hoping to best myself on last year. I did it walking in just under an hour which was a MAJOR achievement for me. I think I am going to follow Charlotte's exercise plan and see how I get on. I am only going to use some of Eva's recipes though as I don't often like them, and use some of the Hairy Bikers Hairy Dieters cookbook and probably my Biggest Loser one too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Gee_G

Yeah I couldn't download a lot of things off the website! Ah well, will try again tomorrow! Is there no app for OT?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Howjoe1

foggy wrote: »

Lots of errors, date for walk seems wrong too. Maybe the crowd running the SUSI grants are in charge:D

ah I'm sure it's only a few teething problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

I really don't get this programme. Watching it for the past two nights, I reckon some of them need to see a therapist or a psychiatrist to deal with the problems they're encountering first.

I'll probably get shot for saying this but losing weight is not rocket science. Eat less and exercise more. They don't need Eva Orsmond shouting down the phone at them and they certainly don't need a camera crew following them around 24/7.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

The website is awful this year.

The recipes have no calorie counts on main meals

They don't say what brand or size of products to use (e.g. tortilla wraps, huge differences between brands).

The lunches do have calorie counts but they're way off, I presume the ingredients are for 4 portions but it doesn't say that. (e.g. 4 x wraps in a 200 calorie lunch???)

They have no meal plans up.

The shopping list doesn't have ingredients for the recipes that are up so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

I would agree largely with what you are saying.
    I enjoy this series, Its a motivation and I enjoy seeing the joy the participents eventually experience.

However, so far this series though seems to be quite "X factor-ish".

It feels like it is more about the leaders personal journey, instead being about weight loss. & health improvement.
    The "experts" seemed to be harsher straight off the bat, Simon Cowell-esque.

The Nordic woman (name escapes me) appears to be mid-transition to ooompa-loompa status!

Though whoever does her makeup has the gun on the wrong setting. :pac:

homers-makeup-gun.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

I really don't get this programme. Watching it for the past two nights, I reckon some of them need to see a therapist or a psychiatrist to deal with the problems they're encountering first.

I'll probably get shot for saying this but losing weight is not rocket science. Eat less and exercise more. They don't need Eva Orsmond shouting down the phone at them and they certainly don't need a camera crew following them around 24/7.

They're associating all their problems with their weight though and probably not wrongly.

But yeah, I wouldn't fancy going down this route in my weight loss. That circle of truth thing, fair play to them and all, but I wouldn't want family, friends and most of all work colleagues knowing about such personal issues.

The website is very sloppy with details. Hopefully they will sort it out.

Agree with most of the comments about the opening week of this year. Daily Mail meets TV3 meets X-Factor crass approach.

The use of personal issues and tears and the humiliation of leaders was a bit much. Losing weight is not gonna solve marriage break-ups etc.

And an on-going issue (from all years) I don't get is why can't the Leaders be weighed each week in T-shirts & track bottoms, instead of the public humiliation of warts and all:mad:

But I will continue to watch it for the support and encouragement to get me out walking and exercising and trying to eat healthier.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭Bigus

If you use the online guide and put yourself in seriously underweight for your height , it will still guide you to lose the same percentage weight,
    Ie 5' 10 weighing 106 kg drop to 95 over seven weeks or 7 ft tall gives same answer.

5' 10 weighing 30 kg drop to 27 kg. or now 4.7 stone drop to 4.25 stone for a nearly 6 foot man !
    5' 10' man weighing 10 kg advised to drop to 9kg or 1.41 stone

Ridiculous and potentially dangerous

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Quite contrary

I would agree largely with what you are saying.
    I enjoy this series, Its a motivation and I enjoy seeing the joy the participents eventually experience.

However, so far this series though seems to be quite "X factor-ish".

It feels like it is more about the leaders personal journey, instead being about weight loss. & health improvement.
    The "experts" seemed to be harsher straight off the bat, Simon Cowell-esque.

The Nordic woman (name escapes me) appears to be mid-transition to ooompa-loompa status!

Though whoever does her makeup has the gun on the wrong setting. :pac:

homers-makeup-gun.jpg

Was that the same woman, that did the walk at the end, and was second to pull out of the walk.Was making the most comical faces,trying to do the walk.

I think they should have picked some heavier leaders, that really needed it.I wouldnt class that other woman who 13st, as being hugely overweight for the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

I think they should have picked some heavier leaders, that really needed it.I wouldnt class that other woman who 13st, as being hugely overweight for the show.

Isn't that exactly the point they're trying to make though? That as a nation we look at that woman (sorry don't know her name) and say 'yeah she looks fine' when in reality she's probably about 2 stone overweight.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Quite contrary

I get what your trying to say. I would not have thought her that overwight, which proves the point. I suppose Im comparing it to other weight loss, shows, were the contestants are much heavier.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭deelite

Is OT available on RTE Player (on the television not PC) - I can't find it?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

deelite wrote: »
    Is OT available on RTE Player (on the television not PC) - I can't find it?

What do you mean by on the television? Do you mean through a playstation or something? Cos it isn't for some reason avail on the player on playstation :/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭deelite

hdowney wrote: »
    What do you mean by on the television? Do you mean through a playstation or something? Cos it isn't for some reason avail on the player on playstation :/

Sorry I mean through the UPC Box thing - it's not there - it mustn't be available.

I get what your trying to say. I would not have thought her that overwight, which proves the point. I suppose Im comparing it to other weight loss, shows, were the contestants are much heavier.

If they had heavier contestants though (like the Biggest Loser etc) it would just reinforce the idea that most people have that they themselves are not fat and only carrying a few pounds and the typical Irish love handles! I think that's the power of the show, to be honest. That they get people who represent as wide a cross section of society as possible and show how measurably better your life can become by even losing those few extra pounds a lot of people carry.

I do think this show though seems to be focusing a bit too much on the emotional issues as well (only 2 eps in so not sure yet) but losing weight etc. isn't going to fix broken marriages etc though it all does work towards self-esteem. Maybe we haven't gotten into it yet but I'd like to see how they got to that weight, what their exercise and diets were like before this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

deelite wrote: »
    Sorry I mean through the UPC Box thing - it's not there - it mustn't be available.

The UPC box is very slow to update with new shows, you'l notice there's no "Latest" section on the menu, a real pain when you just miss a show an want to watch it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sillysmiles

Meathlass wrote: »

I do think this show though seems to be focusing a bit too much on the emotional issues as well....

That's one of the positive aspects of the show, that it shows that there is a psychological reason behind (some) of the over-eating done and tackle that. Question's why we eat the way we eat.

Though I feel for the guy with the broken marriage, I would hate to think that he thinks that this is a way to recover his marriage and I sincerely hope that it doesn't get pushed that way for "entertainment".

That's one of the positive aspects of the show, that it shows that there is a psychological reason behind (some) of the over-eating done and tackle that. Question's why we eat the way we eat.

Though I feel for the guy with the broken marriage, I would hate to think that he thinks that this is a way to recover his marriage and I sincerely hope that it doesn't get pushed that way for "entertainment".

Gavin was on the John Murray show this morning and said the show over played the break-up issue and he was more embarrassed by the show's producers.

Evra could end up being as irratating on the (non)Dr Gilian McKeith.

Howjoe1 wrote: »
    Gavin was on the John Murray show this morning and said the show over played the break-up issue and he was more embarrassed by the show's producers.

Evra could end up being as irratating on the (non)Dr Gilian McKeith.

Yeah that's what I meant by focusing too much on things. That's editing for you, I'm afraid though, when you're in these reality tv shows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 696 ✭✭✭coconut5

I thought it was interesting when Karl said that the guy with the four kids had a void in his life and he could use exercise to fill it. I think that could definitely help him, rather than sitting at home feeling lonely, he could do something that would have a positive impact.
    They said at the start of the series that they would be looking at people's emotional connection to food, so I don't have an issue with that.
    To the person who said it's not rocket science and a reality show is prob not the best way to lose weight, I think these people put themselves forward cos they can't do it by themselves, and having this extra focus and pressure is giving them the push they need. I wouldn't like it, but these people obviously want to do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

Ah here. He can't cook.

Ah here. Poor chap.

Ah here.

This guy is shocking. The young fella.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,066 ✭✭✭Silvio.Dante

20 stone..:(

• Advertisement

The mother can chat all she wants. She could have stopped when she seen him growing a pair instead of letting him go. Take the hard line. And why was he not wheeled out and weighed like everyone else?

Advertisement