Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bumper Accomodation Thread *Put ALL Accomodation queries here*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Gitiana

Ashcarz wrote: »
    Brookfield literally just cancelled with me too ffs

They cancelled on you??? Im really worried now :/

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Dave47

anyone know anything about lancaster hall? considering taking a room there- ty.

http://www.daft.ie/lettings/63-sundays-well-road-sundays-well-cork/1476411/

if any postgrads are interested in a viewing of this gaff wednesday next week let me know. Can't find much accomodation around- everytime I ring an ad they say it's been taken!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,304 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

Dave47 wrote: »
    anyone know anything about lancaster hall? considering taking a room there- ty.

I stayed there a couple of years ago and it's grand. A good location although there may be some noise and disruption due to Penny Dinners being next door. I never had a problem that way though, just something to be conscious of. Also you'll get the odd few knacker drinking at weekends but shouldn't really cause anyone bother but you can always go along Dyke Parade/Sheare street and around to avoid it anyway i.e turn left at the front door.

The rooms are spacious enough, I was in a single bed room. The doubles are even bigger. The kitchen/living area is small enough but grand the smoke/heat alarms are a bit sensitive though. I couldn't fault the place really though.

Might be better or worse now 2 years later.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭the_big_shmoke

Two single bedrooms available in a 5 bed house just off college road with 3 lads. €75/week. Ring 087 9737561 asap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 Ashcarz

Gitiana wrote: »
    They cancelled on you??? Im really worried now :/

Yeah they did :( but i think thats because i booked it quite late ? idk

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Colour Insanity

Brookfield ALWAYS overbook to cater for people suddenly moving to other places in the country apparently :/

• Registered Users Posts: 22 chelseafan2895

just wondering does anyone have any vacancies ? i am a 2nd year male

• Registered Users Posts: 10 kaiju

I think Student Village might still have some vacancies-- at least, that's what they're advertising. They're on Victoria Cross sort of near Vic Mills and UCC Uni Hall, but down the road towards where Kingsley Hotel is (basically if you see Kingsley Hotel, it's on the opposite side of the road). You can email them, they usually take a day to reply but they're nice people.

Good luck!

ring a good few places- there were a few I had rung that were expecting some cancellations etc. Few houses still around as well check out daft.ie

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 202 ✭✭Arnold Tanzarian

kaiju wrote: »
    I think Student Village might still have some vacancies-- at least, that's what they're advertising. They're on Victoria Cross sort of near Vic Mills and UCC Uni Hall, but down the road towards where Kingsley Hotel is (basically if you see Kingsley Hotel, it's on the opposite side of the road). You can email them, they usually take a day to reply but they're nice people.

Good luck!

They are absolutley NOT nice people. They are a horrible crowd to deal with. I stayed there 2/3 years ago and had numerous problems with them, they are a bunch of cowboys only looking for a quick buck of naieve students. They havent a clue how to run the place, there is a cowboy on the gate at night time doing "security" gerry is his name and my god hes an absolute fool of a man, you would swear its alcatraz he is running , hes on a power trip completley and if you coming home anytime after 10ish he will have the complex gates locked so u have to buzz in and if you have any friends coming in he wont allow them near your apartment. I mean if you are paying for accomodation surley to god you should be alloweed to have 1or 2 of ur friends come to ur apartment for an hour or two rather than having the awkard conversation with them " oh no sorry u cant come in the security man wont let u in even tho im paying 400 a month to live here"

I have heard also countless stories about how they try and make up stories and tell the students parents that there was damage done to the apartment just so they can keep the deposit. As i said i stayed there and i should know, and also heard countless accounts of the same story of how they would ring the parents and say " hey the oven is actualy damaged , we wont be refunding your deposit" stuff like that is normal to them, as i said cowboys of the highest order , any students looking for a place to stay , stay well clear of the place trust me,. The fact that they still have places left just goes to show that people are finally coping on and staying away from it thank god

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 173 ✭✭LasTime

They are absolutley NOT nice people. They are a horrible crowd to deal with. I stayed there 2/3 years ago and had numerous problems with them, they are a bunch of cowboys only looking for a quick buck of naieve students. They havent a clue how to run the place, there is a cowboy on the gate at night time doing "security" gerry is his name and my god hes an absolute fool of a man, you would swear its alcatraz he is running , hes on a power trip completley and if you coming home anytime after 10ish he will have the complex gates locked so u have to buzz in and if you have any friends coming in he wont allow them near your apartment. I mean if you are paying for accomodation surley to god you should be alloweed to have 1or 2 of ur friends come to ur apartment for an hour or two rather than having the awkard conversation with them " oh no sorry u cant come in the security man wont let u in even tho im paying 400 a month to live here"

I have heard also countless stories about how they try and make up stories and tell the students parents that there was damage done to the apartment just so they can keep the deposit. As i said i stayed there and i should know, and also heard countless accounts of the same story of how they would ring the parents and say " hey the oven is actualy damaged , we wont be refunding your deposit" stuff like that is normal to them, as i said cowboys of the highest order , any students looking for a place to stay , stay well clear of the place trust me,. The fact that they still have places left just goes to show that people are finally coping on and staying away from it thank god
    What about you? Did you get your deposit back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭CaoimheCweeva

I find that really funny, I lived there myself for a whole year and loved it! Gerry is a dote, leave him alone! Nicest security man I've ever encountered, sure he didn't let people in some times (though I'd no problem ever having friends over) it was only during RAG week they were strict which is understandable. They never claimed I'd done damage to either apartments I stayed in. During the summer months my boyfriend and I got rabbits and they didn't mind, they just asked us to keep them in our room. We had horrible roommates during that time too that complained about us any chance they got, and the owner Michael would come up to us himself and not give out to us, just tell us that there were complaints about us, but I think he understood himself that it was ridiculous because the complaints were very very stupid. He also let us have an apartment at 100 euro a week instead of 120.
    I'd say they're far more competent then many MANY other student accommodations around, it has to be a different student village you're on about :P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 179 ✭✭Electric Boobs

sure he didn't let people in some times (though I'd no problem ever having friends over)
    But what if I was bringing a broad home? I'd need to know that I could get her in. Especially since it isn't often it happens!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭CaoimheCweeva

But what if I was bringing a broad home? I'd need to know that I could get her in. Especially since it isn't often it happens!!!

I'm sure you'd be fine! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 10 kaiju

Agh sorry, I'm a first year who just booked into the place a few days ago (residents are supposed to come in on the 2nd but they let me in early) so I probably shouldn't have posted like I know what I was on about-- that being said, I'm glad Caoimhe seems to have had a different experience.

Either way I hope you get accommodation sorted!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 biscuitbummer

Hey, does anyone know how to deal with an awkward landlord??
    wev just moved into our first student house (deposit paid, contract signed) only to discover a long list of missing things. the list includes a mop, bucket, washing line, floor brush, bins in the kitchen and bathrooms, storage in the bathrooms, not enough cutlery no bedroom furnishings other than a bed, wardrobe and a TINY desk that a chair wont fit under. also the house was filthy when we arrived. there are tea stains on walls,webs everywhere, grease covering oven microwave etc) and we had to spend the last few days cleaning it, including clearing mold from inside the washing machine.

we gave him the list and he flew off the handle altogether, saying we needed a "reality check" and that he "wasnt running a hotel". when he had calmed down the next day he agreed to get us a few of the items (cutlery bins mirrors) and we have decided to just buy our own desks and bring lamps from home. we dont know what to do about the rest of the stuff?

I have sleep there 3 nights now and have discovered that there is no filling/foam in my mattress at all. I had to sleep on top of my duvet all 3 nights as the springs were too uncomfortable to lie on. I hate the thought of pilling this on him as well especially as it is unlikely to get me anywhere and only bring more unpleasantness into the equation, but i really can`t sleep on it.
    on the plus side the house is spacious enough, loads of windows, no damp so we dont want to leave it.
    What would ye advise me to do about the sleeping situation?? (i dont have the money or transport to buy a new mattress)

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭ciaradx

Hey, does anyone know how to deal with an awkward landlord??
    wev just moved into our first student house (deposit paid, contract signed) only to discover a long list of missing things. the list includes a mop, bucket, washing line, floor brush, bins in the kitchen and bathrooms, storage in the bathrooms, not enough cutlery no bedroom furnishings other than a bed, wardrobe and a TINY desk that a chair wont fit under. also the house was filthy when we arrived. there are tea stains on walls,webs everywhere, grease covering oven microwave etc) and we had to spend the last few days cleaning it, including clearing mold from inside the washing machine.

we gave him the list and he flew off the handle altogether, saying we needed a "reality check" and that he "wasnt running a hotel". when he had calmed down the next day he agreed to get us a few of the items (cutlery bins mirrors) and we have decided to just buy our own desks and bring lamps from home. we dont know what to do about the rest of the stuff?

I have sleep there 3 nights now and have discovered that there is no filling/foam in my mattress at all. I had to sleep on top of my duvet all 3 nights as the springs were too uncomfortable to lie on. I hate the thought of pilling this on him as well especially as it is unlikely to get me anywhere and only bring more unpleasantness into the equation, but i really can`t sleep on it.
    on the plus side the house is spacious enough, loads of windows, no damp so we dont want to leave it.
    What would ye advise me to do about the sleeping situation?? (i dont have the money or transport to buy a new mattress)

You should call to the accommodation office on College Road and talk to them. They can inspect the house and mediate between you and the landlord.

(I'm also really curious about who your landlord is because the one we had last year was exactly like that - flew off the handle over anything and was completely inept. Doesn't sound like the same house though.)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 biscuitbummer

thanks for that, ill call to them on monday morning (he wants to meet us all monday evening to "set us straight"). Its at the lough, could it be the same?? he has 3 other student houses around so u never know! how did ye deal with it last year if u dont mind me asking?

thanks for that, ill call to them on monday morning (he wants to meet us all monday evening to "set us straight"). Its at the lough, could it be the same?? he has 3 other student houses around so u never know! how did ye deal with it last year if u dont mind me asking?

id say call down and meet them monday morning with pics as well if you have them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 didsir

Hey guys,

Just looking for a house share. I'm 4th year Zoology 22 year old girl. It doesn't matter what kind of room it is. Single or double. Makes no mind to me. :D I'm fairly relaxed and quiet enough. I play Xbox and enjoy having a bit of banter. I enjoy the odd night out but I really don't need help missing my early morning lectures! :P I'm looking to move in immediately. If there's anything else you want to know, just give me a message. :D

Cheers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭closeline

Where would I find accommodation at this late stage?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭magicianz

Many people in the same boat, I still see people in labs looking at daft and such!

I'd get onto ucc's accomodations office and see if they're keeping a list of people looking for homes so you might be able to put a house together as landlords seem to only want to take that at the moment!

Check noticeboards around campus, can't remember seeing anything recently but it doesn't hurt to spend the few minutes checking.

Try posting on any house share facebook groups you can, go to some societies events and meet some people, good chance you'd come across someone looking for a house too.

If you're mature/postgraduate, try getting onto their respective offices and see if they have any leads!

Honestly situation is ****ing ridiculous at the moment! Rent prices shot up, demand shot up, stress shot up, and quality of the university shot down.

.....that final one may be a cynical personal opinion :P

• Registered Users Posts: 17 didsir

Hey,

Myself and another UCC student are getting together to do a house share. We're looking for any people who want to join in on it. We're both female students doing biological degrees. If you're interested, just PM me and i'll get back to you asap. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1 cndiaz

Hello! I will be a visiting student from the US at UCC this Spring term and have been offered accommodation at Jennings Pool Apartments and the Student Village.

I've heard some pretty terrible things about Brookfield and mixed reviews about the student village.

Anybody kind enough to give me an overview/ pros and cons of both? What do these apartments look like on the inside/ are the pictures on their websites accurate? How social are they, like will I have trouble getting to sleep at night because of crazy parties? How close are they to UCC? What kind of students live there (first years, 2nd, 3rd, international, Irish, etc)?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 juneai

Hey! there are six of us who are going to ucc for a year as visiting nursing students. However all the student accommodation seems to be booked out now. Any recommendations? Our last resort would be arcadia hall which is way too far from the brookfield campus :(

juneai wrote: »
    Hey! there are six of us who are going to ucc for a year as visiting nursing students. However all the student accommodation seems to be booked out now. Any recommendations? Our last resort would be arcadia hall which is way too far from the brookfield campus :(

eodriscoll@ucc.ie

Try emailing her shes admin for student experience- she might be able to help you find a place. Don't even consider arcadia hall I'd say :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭maughantourig

There are a certain amount of students who are only in UCC till Christmas. There might be spaces freed up in a few weeks. I've noticed Dean's Hall in particular has quite a few visiting students. Might be worth looking up :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭xLisaBx

Which is the best place for parties? I know it sounds stupid but I want to make more friends next year :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 jellybeangreen

Hi, I'm a 6th year with no college experience. However I will have to start thinking about accommodation soon. See me and my boyfriend want to live together during college and I was wondering if that was possible in student accommodation? I mean is there strictly a boys section and a girls section? Are you mixed? Can you share a room? And if so, can it be with a partner? Or if not are they strict about staying in each other's rooms? Is there rules about any of that kinda stuff? I just don't know what to expect. Is it anything similar to a hostel setting?

Advertisement