Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domiciliary Care Allowance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29 lillypopkins

is he over 18 as far as im aware he is entitled to disability allowance did u receive a payment for him until he turned 16 /18.dom care or any other payment if you ring the disability section they will explain all to you thats what i did if he lives with you full time then you may be entitled to carers as the new rule states you have to live under the same roof .how many hours is he at college a day all this matters you can also get your full social wellfare payment plus half rate carers eg;dole single parent etc if you get carers you get respite grant in june plus all the household extras i would ring them they very helpfull and will tell you the requirements .best of luck he is a qualified adult so he should be getting his own payment now hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Kate1968

Thank you very much for your reply. My son is full time student and he lives with me. I never got for him payments. He was diagnosed a few days ago as an adult with ADD. Do I need to work and leave my work to get carers allowance? Can my partner claim for carers allowance? I am on Back to Education Allowance and have two adults dependant. I will start Internship in one month but we will still have the same income of euro 342.
    Thank you very much for quick reply. It was really very helpful.

no problem , no you dont need to work at all to qualify forcarers but you must not be attending any course or working for any more than 15 hours a week as you must need to be caring for him the rest of this time i think for him to claim himself is probably what will work as he attends college i dont think they will pay carers so dont quote me on that you should ring them 1890927770 ... found this piece of info on the disability allow might hep ..This Allowance is paid to a person with a disability over the age of sixteen. If you are in receipt of the Domiciliary Allowance and your child reaches his/her sixteenth birthday, the Department of Social Welfare, Disability Section will automatically send you an application for this benefit. This benefit is paid weekly, usually by bank transfer to the account of the person with the disability. It is approximately €185.00 per week. If your child was not in receipt of the Domiciliary Allowance up to the age of sixteen, he/she can apply for this allowance in their own name. Any new or fresh application should be accompanied with all the relevant documentation such as reports from consultants, doctor’s reports, clinical and educational psychologist’s reports. The person with ADHD/ADD receiving this allowance must notify the Department of Social Welfare should they gain employment on a temporary, part-time, fulltime or permanent basis. The Department will adjust the payment in relation to other earnings.

I was awarded the domi care allowance today so happy got it 1st go and dont have to go thru an appeal

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Kate1968

CONGRATULATION!!!! This is really big step. I hope my son will get disability allowance in a few weeks. I am also not sure about it because 70% of applications are put down. Finger cross!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭ladsmammy

Oh well done. Mine was refused and is now gone to appeal

thanks all its a huge worry gone now ladsmammy please god u get it soon i think the report i got from enable irl got it for me they wrote so much info onit about him keep pushing for it

• Registered Users Posts: 10 lionheart09

I was awarded the domi care allowance today so happy got it 1st go and dont have to go thru an appeal

Hi lillypopkins
    Congratulations on getting your doms great news for you and your family and the relief that comes with this. I feel so better since I was awarded a month ago and have been able to provide more for son. I hope everyone else that have applied get a good outcome also because it get very stressful waiting for this.

i was so stressed with the wait and money was tight im so happy now can see a better future for my son with less stress thanks lionheart i know how you feel i danced when i recieved mail last week , hope you all get good news soon x

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Busybee4

Hi all! Just applied for dca for son (5) with autism, am in receipt of it for daughter (6) with epilepsy since june 2012, and carers since jan 2013 (took 53 weeks for that!) just wondering how waiting times are this year?
    From reading through posts re. Autism it seems most are refused unfortunately, would love a medical assessor to spend 12 hours in my house!!

• Advertisement

hi all are not refused from what i read 60 % are refused but i got mine first go thank god waiting time max 11 weeks ring and ring i rang twice a week and they kept checking up on it for me so even if you feel a bit anoying like i did stay ringing i waited 10 weeks good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 1 yfrankyd

Jasssss wrote: »
    Smellysocks, I wish you all the best with your application.This letter you got from the HSE Has to be a good thing.I applied back in 09/2010 for this and I was refused.I appealed and I was refused. I spent months looking at where my application might have went wrong.I rang support groups all over Ireland to get as much information as i could. This is the story. You will need as much medical evidence as possible that states that your child not only has a disability but that they need care and attention above that of a child of the same age.These reports and letters have to nearly tell these people in the Dept that.Its not about the disability as far as they are concerned its the care that you have to give to this child.My advice is torment everyone that you have seen to write these letters.I paid out thousands to professionals over the years for my child and I am now going back to them for letters as I am about to apply again.Can anyone tell me what the waiting time is at the moment.

Hi, i have just been turned down for the doms allowance and i am gathering together more information for a review. i am just wondering how did you go about getting one of them letters from the HSE. Also what help was your local td able to provide.

i think the detailed report i had from enable ireland is what got me mine they explained all i need to do in a daily routine did you get a report from them, i had no hse letter at all i also got the carers two weeks later so definately speech therapist and occupational psycholgist report needed

also my report stated :that for the benefit of applying for dom car my son is well entitled to this payment she worded like that and said he needs above and beyond the care of another child of this age and will do for the forseable i had no other medical things sent in so it was enable irl letter that helped best of luck with it all waitn time ten weeks guys but ring and ring i annoyed them twice a week

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭Pixied

Hi

Hope someone can help. My son is severely hard of hearing in both ears, has lots of appointments, severe speech problem, balance issues. He is three

My application for the Dca has been refused and I need to appeal. I did write out his daily routine and they hae said that while his disability is not in doubt they do not believe he needs are beyond that of another child his age.:(

Can anyone who has been sucessful maybe give me some pointers?

Im paying for lots of stuff, therapy ect for him and its killing us. Now I have been told we need technology in our house to help him hear at home. So we really need the DCA

All help appreciated
    Pix

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭ladsmammy

Hi Pix,

Just keep appealing. I applied for my son who has ADHD back last September and kept getting refused. We had an oral hearing with an officer from the appeals office on Tuesday and he awarded the DCA to us.

I think it's hard to explain all the things you need to do in writing but found it very easy to get across what we need to do at the appeal.

IMO they are refusing everyone to see who will give up and who will keep going with it.

Keep appealing and request an oral hearing - best of luck

T

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭BrookieD

for anyone that has DC allowance there is a cock up in the payments today and as such all payments will be made tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 mamasean

:eek:hi there im new on this and hope someone has some advice for me im a single parent to a 4 year old in the early intervention services they havent really diagnosed him with anything only delays in all areas and gave me a letter stating he need extra care more than a child of his age ,with this i applied for dca along with any reports i had and a full diary of all he extra care and attention i applied at the start of june but have not heard anything yet :( can someone advise me on how long i have to wait for a decision ,money is very tight and i have no support from family :( every day is a struggle emotonally with my son my doc told me based on his reports it looks like dyspraxia ,i love him to bits and only want te best for him but this waiting is driving me crazy :(( thank in advance for any advice xx

• Registered Users Posts: 2 lucialarkin

Am in a similar situation with my 3yr old did you get domiciliary allowance as in afraid ill be rejected.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Diog1

Hi all,

I am a parent with a child with ASD and ADHD. I was looking for a current thread and found this one. Does anyone know what the waiting period is currently for DCA and CA? haven't got report yet from Psychologist so just tryng to stay one step ahead. Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Thank You.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭angelll

Hi Diog1, the wait is about 10-12 weeks for dca, it's now recommended that you send ca form at the same time as dca form with a note to say you have applied for dca and leaving the medical part blank. Then if you get dca you get carers backdated to when it was received.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Hi DIOG,

Are you hopeful of being granted the DCA?

They use to be a nightmare to deal with but things may have changed since then.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 cry boy cry

Get all assessments/reports done for all allowances.

May cost a lot to get done but gets rid of the hassle when applying for the allowances. The assessments/ reports can be submitted for tax back using the MED 1 form.

DCA claim should have be no issues once you have the correct wording on the application and reports to back it up also The cut off for DCA is age 16.

Another allowance that you may qualify for is a tax credit worth 3330 which can be back dated 4 years ( up to €3330 x 4 or depend on how much tax you have paid)
    Search for incapacitated child tax credit

The wording has to be correct when applying for this..It states "This is not an exhaustive list."

* For those people who do not believe ADHD exits need to live with it first before judging...

Keep applying for all allowances as the help with the monthly cost of medicine (to keep kids in schooling system) and ongoing assessments of €350 - €500 per time.

Chances are at some point one parent will need to cut back or give up work due to the care needed for a child with ADHD.

You may qualify for a GP ONLY card or even a full medical card (won't know unless you apply)

HTHs

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Joelda

Hi.
    I'm a Mom to a newly diagnosed 2.5 year old with Autism.
    I actually feel completely overwhelmed by this news. What do I do now?
    Is there any specific things that have worked for any of you when doing your own intervention at home with a kid this age?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 sunflower48

Busybee4 wrote: »
    Hi all! Just applied for dca for son (5) with autism, am in receipt of it for daughter (6) with epilepsy since june 2012, and carers since jan 2013 (took 53 weeks for that!) just wondering how waiting times are this year?
    From reading through posts re. Autism it seems most are refused unfortunately, would love a medical assessor to spend 12 hours in my house!!

Is it possible you could pm me about this. My daughter has recently be diagnosed with epilepsy and would love some advice
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭soap1978

hello we r getting dca,but in the letter they said they would review it in 3 years,is that the way it is?my child has austism thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

soap1978 wrote: »
    hello we r getting dca,but in the letter they said they would review it in 3 years,is that the way it is?my child has austism thanks

Hi,

We originally got ours in 2012 for five years. Due to be reviewed next year.

I'm not to worried though in that he still has Autism, always will. Some of his behaviours have improved some have gotten worse.

I think with the DCA if you have gotten it once, you'll get it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭kala85

sorry to bring up an old thread, but how have people faired out with DCA in recent years . It is still as difficult to get.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Boler

kala85 wrote: »
    sorry to bring up an old thread, but how have people faired out with DCA in recent years . It is still as difficult to get.

Took me almost a year to get it for my son, initial application which took 6 months was rejected, I had read most applications are rejected due to lack of info, so I submitted an 11 page document with the application detailing the additional care required. I then appealed and asked for an oral hearing which took another 4 months. I had to wait another 6 weeks for a decision and eventually after 11 and a half months my application was successful.

It's as if the process is designed to frustrate you in the hope that you give up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭kala85

Thanks.

What criteria do you think that they are looking for in order for the application to be successful

Advertisement