Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My experience with the Black Magic Intensity Shuttle

• 30-07-2012 1:10pm
    Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I often find it difficult to find straight up advice for gear on the net so I thought I'd collate mine about the BMI Shuttle here.

First of all- most importantly- THIS IS NOT CURRENTLY A 1080P RECORDING SOLUTION. Do not buy this if you're looking to record gameplay footage in 1080p... right now.

They claim it is, but the firmware only allows up to 1080p at 30 FPS. Coupled with the restriction that you have to manually set the frame rate and definition yourself or the shuttle will fail to capture, you already have a big issue here. It simply cannot see an Xbox or a PS3 at 1080p.

BM have said several times the hardware in the shuttle is up to it and as USB3.0 improves they will release new firmware for it to do so. But they've been saying that since 2010...

Which leads me onto the second problem: Research the shuttle (or any other BM product) before you buy it. I did and I knew my dell was up to it before purchasing, but it will only work with certain mobos and with certain USB3.0 adapters.

I also had a hard time getting the USB drivers up to the correct level for it to work: the site BM recommend did not have the driver I needed, thankfully Intel did.

Tonight I will start experimenting with 720p capping and getting it to work with Xsplit. I'm expecting a lot of trouble :D.

Although it still has many advantages over the hauppage, I must say I am disappointed with it, I find the situation with 1080p to be... unreasonable. They should give us the option, let me deal with my hard drive speeds and the like- people like me aren't going to be using uncompressed video anyway from the shuttle, Xsplit will be shrinking it to a much more reasonable size anyways, I reckon I could get it to work. Coupled with the fact that I bought it because of an issue with 720p downscaling causing too much lag for competitive gaming on a lagless 1080p monitor, it's a bit of a bugger.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Was hoping you'd post something on this. Once you get things up and running you'll have to do a definitive tutorial for the sticky :) Pity it hasn't worked out as hoped! Maybe it'll surprise you and be really easy with XSplit.....

Maybe.........

🤪

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

It actually was quite easy, funnily enough it has huge problems capturing on it's own but it's smooth as silk with Xsplit. lol

I'll work out something tutorial- ey with it.

I just took delivery of the last piece of the puzzle for my current set up, a swanky hdmi up/ downscaler.

I'll let you know how I get on with it, and maybe make some videos/ a tutorial later.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 twotonewolftone

good luck with that doctor keep us posted.i recently got rid of my hauppauge but im really looking at buying the elgato game capture hd it looks good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,569 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Put in my order for the Colossus.. Will review it when I get it

Edit: Actually, think I'll give the Black Magic a go too!

Where did you get it, and how much?

• Advertisement

Tallon wrote: »
    Put in my order for the Colossus.. Will review it when I get it

Edit: Actually, think I'll give the Black Magic a go too!

Where did you get it, and how much?

I just found the cheapest on amazon.co.uk- It was his last one, at 180, but there's other sellers there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,569 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Colossus doesn't suit me at all since I can't record PS3 in HDMI :(

Have to sell it now :(

Tallon wrote: »
    Colossus doesn't suit me at all since I can't record PS3 in HDMI :(

Have to sell it now :(

You can if you get a wee HDMI to component converter, cos about 40 quid.

This will be the case with 99% of PS3 hdmi recorders :(

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭JaqenHgarr

hey guys i know this is a bit of a newb question but what does a usb3 port look like ? lol sorry

JaqenHgarr wrote: »
    hey guys i know this is a bit of a newb question but what does a usb3 port look like ? lol sorry

It looks exactly like a USB2 port except it usually has an "SS" written over it and sometimes is coloured blue.

The only way to really be sure is to check the specs of your comp online.

There's cheaper USB2 HDMI solutions than this if that's what you're after, I think avermedia do one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭JaqenHgarr

no im not interested in the shuttle i just wanted to see if my comp had usb3 lol i know its prob the wrong forum to post in

Advertisement