Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Game development tool(s)

• 27-02-2012 4:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm currently learning Obj-C in college but, as part of an upcoming project, i'm going to have to know how to do some game programming. As far as I can tell, we will not be covering game development in our course. Before anyone mentions it, i know how silly this sounds.

So far we've been doing things like using switches, buttons, images and doing the usual if, for, and while things. I am nowhere near being able to code for a game. But i was hoping someone could tell me what the most popular/accessible tool there is available for game development for iOS?

I really wouldn't know how to approach it. There will likely be things like animations that i wouldn't have a clue how to incorporate into an application. I would appreciate some input. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

Cocos2D is worth taking a look at for 2D games. You could integrate Box2D for physics too. If you understand the basics of Cocoa/Cocoa Touch and ObjC you should be able to lash together a basic game, albeit an ugly one unless you're good at the art stuff!

In terms of tools for making content, there's Tiled and if you want to pay, SpriteHelper and LevelHelper on the App store.

Take a look at the tutorials on Raywenderlich.com for tutorials. It's more than enough to get you up and running with a basic iOS game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭gnolan

Cocos2D is worth taking a look at for 2D games. You could integrate Box2D for physics too. If you understand the basics of Cocoa/Cocoa Touch and ObjC you should be able to lash together a basic game, albeit an ugly one unless you're good at the art stuff!

In terms of tools for making content, there's Tiled and if you want to pay, SpriteHelper and LevelHelper on the App store.

Take a look at the tutorials on Raywenderlich.com for tutorials. It's more than enough to get you up and running with a basic iOS game.

Thanks for the feedback.

When you mention "tools for making content", what do you mean? I have a team for my project, some of which will be handling the content creation - using mostly the Adobe suite as far as i know. Is content created with the Adobe suite easy/straightforward to integrate into an application?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

Take a look at the apps I suggested and see if you will need something like that for your game. If you want to make a platform game or a scrolling shooter, something like Tiled would be invaluable for example. These tools take your art and let you lay it out for levels or sprite animations.

Advertisement