Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Great 2011 PSN Outage Megathread *Post 1 updated*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

Quote from an Anon spokesman, apparently we're collateral damage ;)
    The consumers in this are as one might call, collateral damage. We are very cognizant of the fact that we are not making friends nor allies among the average consumer with our attack. This is unfortunate as a concern should always be, will the very people we seek to support not see what it is we are trying to achieve. In this case, many don’t. There has been a lot of hate spread throughout the internet and over forums that we are being reckless and simply punishing consumers more than Sony.

http://www.warpzoned.com/?p=5412

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Hmmm, i was assuming their goal was to piss off gamers and that in turn would piss off Sony.

Also, what exactly does switching to Googles DNS do? Does it effect the security of the connection?

Nah I'd say p1ssing off gamers is a side effect of the point they're making & how they're making it. But not the end goal.
    Headshot wrote: »
    God I ****ing hate hackers

Just spoiling the enjoyment for everyone, ****ing ***** anyway

I know, terrible of them isn't it wanting to own what they paid for. And to rub salt into the wounds by telling peoepl how to get psn back? Jeez, these guys have some neck :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 53,755 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

the big bad hackers throwing their toys out of the pram

I hopefully the judge throws the book at that geohot waster

You do know about the Sony rootkit scandal don't you?

Also, due to his efforts, its now completely legal to jailbreak a phone in the states. One mans criminal is another mans saint. Funny how there was none of this while OtherOS was still available. Would Sony just not restore OtherOS with modern security & be done with it?

• Advertisement

EnterNow wrote: »

I know, terrible of them isn't it wanting to own what they paid for. And to rub salt into the wounds by telling peoepl how to get psn back? Jeez, these guys have some neck :rolleyes:

go back to your modding forum for that ****

I paid to use sony ps3 for all its multi functions but since you bloody hackers have hacked the ps3, online play is at nightmare.

I dont want to change my network settings because of my open nat.

You do know about the Sony rootkit scandal don't you?
    ya but nothing to do with my ps3, so I dont give a ****
    Also, due to his efforts, its now completely legal to jailbreak a phone in the states. One mans criminal is another mans saint. Funny how there was none of this while OtherOS was still available. Would Sony just not restore OtherOS with modern security & be done with it?

wow, again I dont give a ****. this **** has ruined the ps3 online gaming community

There's a big difference between jailbreaking a phone and hacking a ps3.

go back to your modding forum for that ****

I paid to use sony ps3 for all its multi functions but since you bloody hackers have hacked the ps3, online play is at nightmare.

I dont want to change my network settings because of my open nat.

Then don't change them, & wait for the 'sporadic mainanence' to end :)

Then don't change them, & wait for the 'sporadic mainanence' to end :)

if your buddies would get the dummy out of their mouth, I wouldnt have too.

ya but nothing to do with my ps3, so I dont give a ****

wow, again I dont give a ****. this **** has ruined the ps3 online gaming community

There's a big difference between jailbreaking a phone and hacking a ps3.

There are no hacked PS3's on psn today, I can guarantee you that, so are you basing your information of media reported bs or were you just not aware of that?

• Advertisement

if your buddies would get the dummy out of their mouth, I wouldnt have too.

Real mature man :)

There are no hacked PS3's on psn today, I can guarantee you that, so are you basing your information of media reported bs or were you just not aware of that?

How can you guarantee that ?

I still see dodgy stuff on mw2
    Real mature man :)

Thanks

I dont like replying with the likes of a hacking fanboy, so im not bothering anymore

In all fairness alot of the dodgy MW2 stuff is down to a feck up on Infinity Wards part, not Sonys.

In all fairness alot of the dodgy MW2 stuff is down to a feck up on Infinity Wards part, not Sonys.

When the ps3 hack came out the game was unplayable

before that it was grand to play

I'm pretty sure that IW left a loophole open where a tech savvy person could access the Dev controls. And i was noticing that sort of stuff on MW2 even a few weeks after launch, albeit not as bad.

How can you guarantee that ?

Because there are authentication checks carried out on PS3's now when a user logs into PSN, any discrepancies will result in a refusal of access. That includes CFW & Jailbreak code.

There are some problems with the infinity ward server, where previous cheaters have retained their cheats I think, but that's got nothing to do with Sony as Wolforager stated.

You really should chill out, it's only a games console. Go outside, its a lovely sunny day :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,027 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Mod Note: Headshot, no need for childish personal abuse, hardly doing your argument any favours. Play nice guys.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Em, I highly doubt their goal is to p1ss off legitimate gamers ;)

Em, I'd say it is.
    Nobody is forcing them to attack the PSN - they are doing it willingly and knowing it will piss off gamers.
    They could take their grievances to court, just like Sony did with Geohot.
    If they have merits, the court will find in their favour.

Mod Note: Headshot, no need for childish personal abuse, hardly doing your argument any favours. Play nice guys.

personal abuse :confused:

how are you getting personal abuse over that ?

F1ngers wrote: »
    Em, I'd say it is.
    Nobody is forcing them to attack the PSN - they are doing it willingly and knowing it will piss off gamers.
    They could take their grievances to court, just like Sony did with Geohot.
    If they have merits, the court will find in their favour.

Well I meant their end-goal really, they're obviously making enemies on both sides now. Unfortunately the courts seem to favour the bigger wallet in the states, the recent youtube & google subpoena was clearly a blow for the protection of individual rights & privacy online.

I'm not anti-Sony, nor am I pro-hacker. I simply 'get' the point, that you should be freely available to do what you own to your own hardware. Starting from a neutral perspective, I also believe it was wrong to sue graf for a million euro on the basis of his Linux work. It's excessive, & it's purely a scare tactic as opposed to actual compensation for any wrong-doing.

I think what Anonymous' end goal here is to hit Sony in the pocket, where they'll feel it the most. If people can't get onto the PS Store, or have paid for PSN Plus subscriptions that they can't use, it will cause pain for Sony. Of course doing that will alienate legit gamers, who only want to use the service, I think Anonymous will be well aware of that. Unfortunately there's nothing you, or I or anyone can say or do about it. They've obviously pee'd these guys off, & these people seem to be the real deal. I can't see a quick end to it :(

Need I remind any of you, that Sony were & still are in trouble over the use of stolen LG technology. And there's also the rootkit fiasco, the harvesting of person info by the PS3 too. None of these warrant the current action, but to some people like myself, it shows that the good guys are far from angelic too. For those that just want to play online games though, all of the above will mean nothing, & I can understand that too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

This is annoying me now, the few days that I do get to play my PlayStation :mad:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Also, due to his efforts, its now completely legal to jailbreak a phone* in the states. One mans criminal is another mans saint. Funny how there was none of this while OtherOS was still available. Would Sony just not restore OtherOS with modern security & be done with it?
    Well I meant their end-goal really, they're obviously making enemies on both sides now. Unfortunately the courts seem to favour the bigger wallet in the states, the recent youtube & google subpoena was clearly a blow for the protection of individual rights & privacy online

Somehow, I don't think wallet size has anything to with it, I mean:
    due to his efforts, its now completely legal to jailbreak a phone in the states
    , so surely with his efforts anyone would be able to do the same with the PS3. :confused:
    Did his wallet shrink or is there something else that I (we?) don't know about?
    Apple are fairly protective of their IP, as are Sony (as are any other corporation you would care to mention).

*I'm sure you meant iphone. However, to me "jailbreak" is synonomous with the iPhone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

UPDATE:
    Sony has acknowledged that recent issues with PlayStation's online services could be connected to threats made by hacker group 'Anonymous', saying it's "investigating".

Speaking to IGN, Sony said today: "We are currently investigating, including the possibility of targeted behavior of an outside party. If this is indeed caused by such an act, we want to once again thank our customers who have borne the brunt of the attack through interrupted service.

"Our engineers are working to restore and maintain the services, and we appreciate our customers' continued support," added Sony.

This is the first time Sony has acknowledged the possibility of cyber attacks, with previous statements saying only that the firm was working to restore service.

The problems surfaced shortly after Sony was threatened by hacker group 'Anonymous', which said it would target the company's websites in protest over the "wholly unforgivable" legal pursuit of PS3 hackers George 'Geohot' Hotz and Graf Chokolo.

Earlier this week the US PlayStation Blog was completely down, as was PlayStation.com and the browser-based PS Store (via PC), while PSN was said to be "undergoing sporadic maintenance".
    Link

F1ngers wrote: »
    Somehow, I don't think wallet size has anything to with it, I mean:, so surely with his efforts anyone would be able to do the same with the PS3. :confused:
    Did his wallet shrink or is there something else that I (we?) don't know about?
    Apple are fairly protective of their IP, as are Sony (as are any other corporation you would care to mention).

*I'm sure you meant iphone. However, to me "jailbreak" is synonomous with the iPhone.

The American courts in parts are well known for this, why do you think Sony are trying so hard to have Hotz tried in California, & move the case out of NJ? So their lawyers have less travelling to do?

I don't make the distinction between jailbreaking an iPhone or jailbreaking a PS3. The very term jailbreak means to allow the device to run software thats not approved by a 1st party, whether thats a GPS app for your iPad, or a Media Center for your PS3...I fail to see the difference. Yes there are pirating tools, but that's fixable. Or are you associating jailbreaking with piracy & failing to see the many legitimate homebrew PS3 apps that are being written?

Ok I think they've seen the light, this is the most recent statement from Anonymous
    Anonymous is not attacking the PSN at this time. Sony’s official position is that the PSN is undergoing maintenance. We realize that targeting the PSN is not a good idea. We have therefore temporarily suspended our action, until a method is found that will not severely impact Sony customers.

I think they've realised that this was impacting their point in the wrong way, & attacking PSN was a bad idea. Whatever made them think it was a 'viable' target to begin with is beyond me.

They have however left a set of demands, for when they define new targets & attacks begin again.
    1. Sony must allow for end-user modification of the PS3, as was available prior to the 3.21 firmware update.

2. Sony must end any attempts to bring legal action to alter a product they own.

3. Sony must not pursue legal action against any collected IP address.

Source

In a nutshell, they want OtherOS back, no more suing people for doing what the likes of Graf has done, and no suing anyone who watched or commented on Hotz jailbreak video. I'm not sure how realistic those demands are, & I cannot see Sony restoring OtherOS due to cost. The suing action is a detterent method, & will likely continue. But I wholeheartidly agree with the last one, allowing Sony to access that info was a complete failure by the judge, as in my understanding, its no crime to watch a youtube video.

Anyhow I presume PSN is back by now?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Is it down again?

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Klair88

Is it down again?

I couldnt get onto it this morning again and was well p!ssed off, checked online and someone said to disable the media server connection in Network settings, and i logged on straight away and have had no problems since.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭wilser

is psn down again?

I cant sign in now:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Was working grand for me all night thank god

Advertisement