Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MENTIONED ON EUROSPORT: Séan Kelly, Tourmalet centenary

• 21-07-2010 6:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭

Sean Kelly rode up the Col du Tourmalet today in 1910 clothing to mark the centenary of 100 years of Col du Tourmalet in Le Tour de France.
    Sean-Kelly.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Black socks and hairy legs!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Did they really have nice rain jackets like that back then??? Wow, here was me thinking life back then was tough...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭BryanL

class

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭velopeloton

kenmc wrote: »
    Did they really have nice rain jackets like that back then??? Wow, here was me thinking life back then was tough...

He only put the jacket on at the summit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

A hardy sinpe ,is our Mr Kelly .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

The real question is: did he use a 1910 bike?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭Single Malt

If he didn't use a 100 year old bike, then its not a huge achievement for Kelly. He is one of cycling's greats after all

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Yup:

37838_449996020933_763205933_6222741_7774424_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭The Crunch

niceonetom wrote: »
    The real question is: did he use a 1910 bike?

Dunno how old it was but it was bloody old! Myself and the other half are camping on the Tourmalet and when all these old blokes on ancient bikes came past one of them shouted 'C'mon the Paddies!' having seen our Irish flag.
    We clocked it was Kelly, gave him a shout and then lashed up to the top to soak up the atmosphere. Had a chat with Kelly and had a sandwich with Hinault, Indurain, Fignon (looking well but sounding rough), Danguillaume, Pensec and a few others I've probably forgotten.
    Excellent buzz!
    OH took some photos and I took some iPhone video. Check out our little fan blog at http://lespoursuivants.wordpress.com

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Liamo08

What a legend the man is, they don't make them like this anymore:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_onBx2ZSHA

Quality commentary as well ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,291 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

...but no gaffer tape.:D

Genealogy Forum Mod

Yup:

my new screen saver

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭CheGuedara

Legend.

What else can I add?!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

Great pics on your site Declan!

some miles in them legs .

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭The Crunch

Diarmuid wrote: »
    Great pics on your site Declan!

Cheers (on behalf of Georgie). She's particularly proud of the portrait of Indurain who was there with his family, his modern Pinarello and his hairy legs. Loads of ammo for Shaungil here!
    I asked Kelly what gear he had up and he reckoned a 24 on the back and 42 up front although the latter was the subject of some discussion.
    Either way it looked a damn sight harder than the 39x28 I used on my carbon lightweight the other day...
    Great atmosphere. Cycling is a pretty accessible sport in comparison with others I could think of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

The Crunch wrote: »
    Cheers (on behalf of Georgie). She's particularly proud of the portrait of Indurain who was there with his family, his modern Pinarello and his hairy legs. Loads of ammo for Shaungil here!
    I asked Kelly what gear he had up and he reckoned a 24 on the back and 42 up front although the latter was the subject of some discussion.
    Either way it looked a damn sight harder than the 39x28 I used on my carbon lightweight the other day...
    Great atmosphere. Cycling is a pretty accessible sport in comparison with others I could think of.

Fantastic photo of Indurain I must say. The man looks well

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭alibabba

The Crunch wrote: »
    Dunno how old it was but it was bloody old! Myself and the other half are camping on the Tourmalet and when all these old blokes on ancient bikes came past one of them shouted 'C'mon the Paddies!' having seen our Irish flag.
    We clocked it was Kelly, gave him a shout and then lashed up to the top to soak up the atmosphere. Had a chat with Kelly and had a sandwich with Hinault, Indurain, Fignon (looking well but sounding rough), Danguillaume, Pensec and a few others I've probably forgotten.
    Excellent buzz!
    OH took some photos and I took some iPhone video. Check out our little fan blog at http://lespoursuivants.wordpress.com

Excellent post. This is what boards is all about. Well done

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭Single Malt

Thats some serious stuff, nice

• Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭levitronix

Yup:

Standing in the face of the Euro Cyclist !! Class

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Fixie up the Tourmalet... that is no fcuking joke :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 31,001 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

davyjose wrote: »
    Fixie up the Tourmalet... that is no fcuking joke :eek:

Coming down wouldn't be much fun either. Are those rod brakes? :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Lumen wrote: »
    Coming down wouldn't be much fun either. Are those rod brakes? :eek:

Yee-Haaaw. Stage ends at the top though - which is probably why SK is still alive right now.

TV's and Camera's never truly do justice to the kind of climb the Pyr's and Alps demand. Take a look, though, at the slope on the mountains over Sean's left shoulder... There's nothing in this country even close to that.

More pics anywhere? I want to see him on the bike.

I reckon Kelly would have fitted right in amongst the hard men of the first tours.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭velopeloton

Kelly was just on the French TV news. He was walking and pushing the bike on part of the climb. It is very cold here this morning with very heavy rain, thunder & lightning. Not a great day for Col du Tourmalet. If it stays like this there will be no TV coverage, rain is so heavy our BBC satellite is not receiving any signal.

121105.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

At the risk of sounding daft - are there any gears on that bike????

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Guybrush T

niceonetom wrote: »
    More pics anywhere? I want to see him on the bike.

I reckon Kelly would have fitted right in amongst the hard men of the first tours.

Couple of good ones of him here but this event doesn't seem to have got much coverage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Just read the excellent blog - "a 42×24 single speed gear":eek:

Hopefully it'll have knackered him out so I can catch him in the Etape next month

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

Fantastic photos here

Advertisement