Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Beacon on Tractors

• 05-10-2006 9:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24,948 ✭✭✭✭

Hi lads/ladies,

Does anyone know the current legal situation regarding beacons on tractors? I was always under the impression that they were technically illegal but that, in the interests of safety, this regulation was not enforced by the Gardai . The beacon on new tractors used to be disconected when sold because they was not legal here. I remember the IFA campaigning several years ago for the legislation to be updated but I haven't heard much lately.

On a similar note, my brother was recently reprimanded at a Garda checkpoint, for driving his tractor and unladen low loader, with the beacon off. He explained to the Garda that, at a Health and Safety course, he was informed that his beacon must only be used with a loaded trailer. The Garda said that he didn't care what he had been told at any course and to switch it on.

Any thoughts/opinions?

(PS I tried Googling this subject but didn't really come up with much.)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭Scawgeen

Don't know the law but the orange beacons on Tractors, Vehicle ambulances etc. are to be encouraged especially this time of year as the dark evenings come in. I think you may be refering to the blue beacons on Garda cars and Ambulances which might be illegal on ordinary citizens vehicles.

On a slightly similiar vein, the flag-man with the red flag seems to be a thing of the past, all you need nowadays is one of those illuminous yellow jackets to put up your hand to stop traffic or direct it. We have 'road works' at present in our town, one wonders whether one should pay heed to the red temporary traffic light or the yellow-coated man waving you through a red light.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,948 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Scawgeen wrote:
    I think you may be refering to the blue beacons on Garda cars and Ambulances which might be illegal on ordinary citizens vehicles.

No, I know that they are specificly reserved for emergency vehicles. I am referring to amber flashing beacons.

Road Traffic (Lighting of Vehicles) Regulations 1963

42. No lamp (other than direction indicators) fitted to a vehicle shall show or be constructed or adapted so as to be capable of showing a flashing light unless such light is invisible to persons outside the vehicle.

Exemptions:

(18) (a) The requirements of Parts II and VI of these Regulations shall not apply to a lamp which is carried on an ambulance, a fire brigade vehicle or a vehicle being used by a member of the Garda Síochána in the performance of his duties as such member and which complies with the provisions of this sub-article.
    (b) (i) The lamp shall where possible be fitted on the roof of the vehicle on a point on its longitudinal axis.
    (ii) No part of the illuminated surface of the lamp shall be less than 5 feet from the ground.
    (iii) The power of the lamp shall not exceed 50 watts.
    (iv) The area of the orthogonal projection on to any vertical plane of that part of the lamp through which light is shown shall be capable of lying wholly within a square having sides of 9 inches in length.
    (v) The light shown by the lamp shall be blue.

In 1979,under the Road Traffic (Lighting of Vehicles) (Ammendment) Regulations 1979 this was amended to include amber flashing lights on recovery vehicles, road works vehicles, snow ploughs, hedge cutters and road maintenance vehicles.

The 1979 ammendment made no mention of agricultural vehicles and I don’t know whether there has been any amendment since. It still appears to be illegal to drive a tractor in a public place with an amber flashing beacon and in the interests of safety, this would need to be rectified.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,268 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Are you not obliged to have an amber flashing light if driving a tractor on a M-way or dual carriageway. I was sure I read this in legislation somewhere.

Also IIRC I have seen ESB and County Council vehicles with flashing amber lights and I don't believe these vehicles were "recovery vehicles, road works vehicles, snow ploughs, hedge cutters and road maintenance vehicles."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Occidental

Brian,

I'd imagine CoCo & ESB fall very loosely under road works and maintenance.

I'd prefer to use amber beacons, as they would much more help to other road uses in dark or near dark conditions. At the moment people complain about front and rear beams, but these are often the only way to highlight that you are not just another fast moving, agile car. At 200m off on a dark lane I'd much rather a flashing beacon as a sign of a hazard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭golden

it is illegal for a tractor to be on a Motorway.

• Advertisement

golden wrote:
    What if they are capable of exceeding 50kph? The JCB Fastrac, MB Unimog, the larger Fendts and others can do 65/70 kph. Are they not permitted to use motorways? I occasionally see a JCB Fastrac on the M1/M50.

(I have a vague recollection of a speed limit of 24mph for agricultural tractors but I'm not sure if it is still valid.)

golden wrote:

Not when you're cutting the verges, it's not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭golden

I rang the Guards and apparently they said it is illegal for tractors to drive on the Motorways. However I did not mention the maintenance aspect of things. The tractors if they are required to maintain any hedges from a safety point of view would be working in a cordoned off area or another vehicle before the tractor advising of maintenance work being carried out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭maidhc

What if they are capable of exceeding 50kph? The JCB Fastrac, MB Unimog, the larger Fendts and others can do 65/70 kph. Are they not permitted to use motorways? I occasionally see a JCB Fastrac on the M1/M50.

(I have a vague recollection of a speed limit of 24mph for agricultural tractors but I'm not sure if it is still valid.)

In the Uk this was definately the case. In Ireland I think it was always a bit of a grey area. I remember legislation was going to be introduced allowing work vehicles run at up to 50k on green diesel, but I have never seen it.

Either way, a tractor with a 50k box can use a motorway:
    3. (1) Any mechanically propelled vehicle or combination of vehicles (other than an invalid carriage) which—

( a ) is driven by a person holding a driving licence referred to in section 22 (1) of the Act of 1961 authorising him to drive the vehicle, and

( b ) is so constructed that its entire weight is transmitted to the road surface by circular wheels which are equipped with pneumatic tyres, and

( c ) being propelled by an internal combustion engine is so propelled by an internal combustion engine exceeding 50 c.c. in cylinder capacity, and

( d ) is so constructed and in such a condition and so loaded as to be capable of maintaining a speed of 50 kilometres per hour on the level, solely under its own power,

may use a motorway

To the best of my knowledge amber beacons are illegal on tractors, despite the safety benefits attached.

Occidental wrote:
    Not when you're cutting the verges, it's not.
    That's a different matter anyway as it would be "roadway maintenance".
    maidhc wrote:
    To the best of my knowledge amber beacons are illegal on tractors, despite the safety benefits attached.
    That's what I thought. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,234 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I'm not certain, but I think there are new regulations relating to flashing blue or orange lights. I'm not sure how it affects tractors.

SI 342 of 2006 Road Traffic (Lighting of Vehicles) (Blue and Amber Lamps) Regulations 2006
    Road Traffic (Lighting of Vehicles) (Blue and Amber Lamps) Regulations 2006
    SI 342 of 2006

These Regulations consolidate and update the statutory provisions in relation to the use of flashing blue or amber warning lights on certain vehicles. Under the Regulations, blue flashing lights may be used on vehicles used by the Garda?´, the fire service, an ambulance service, the Irish Marine Emergency Service, the Irish Prison Service and vehicles used for the delivery or collection of human transplant organs, human blood or human blood products.

Amber lights may be used on a breakdown vehicle, a road clearance vehicle, a road works vehicle, a vehicle used in the collection and disposal of refuse, a vehicle used in the provision or maintenance of telephone services or of gas or electricity supply and a Customs and Excise patrol vehicle.

Source: Iris Oifigiúil 11/07/2006

Also skips mobile cranes and oversized loads, both of which use amber lamps.

Occidental wrote:
    Also skips mobile cranes and oversized loads, both of which use amber lamps.
    Good point - I must have a dig through the regulations governing oversized loads to see if there is any mention of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Xenophile

I know that this thread is almost exactly nine years old, but it relates directly,

While half listening to the radio yesterday I heard that orange flashing beacons are to become mandatory on all Irish Tractors.

Has anybody got more info or a link to the new regulations.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭dohc turbo2

Xenophile wrote: »
    I know that this thread is almost exactly nine years old, but it relates directly,

While half listening to the radio yesterday I heard that orange flashing beacons are to become mandatory on all Irish Tractors.

Has anybody got more info or a link to the new regulations.
    Look at the rsa website , beacons were made mandatory on tractors since Jan 1 st other lighting and reflectors is explained on there site

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭rushvalley

It says tractors taking part in vintage rallies are exempt from needing a beacon. Does this mean the likes of a 135 need one if they are been used for farm work or will they be exempt aswell ?

rushvalley wrote: »
    It says tractors taking part in vintage rallies are exempt from needing a beacon. Does this mean the likes of a 135 need one if they are been used for farm work or will they be exempt aswell ?

Think safety my friend, the most dangerous place to work is on a farm. There are more work place deaths on farms than anywhere else !

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Craggy Island

The problem with making every tractor have to use beacons is that people will take less regard for them, at night for example where you might expect a forage harvester/combine of wide load coming towards you previously, now it could be a small tractor and transport box, no bigger than a transit van.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,853 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

The problem with making every tractor have to use beacons is that people will take less regard for them, at night for example where you might expect a forage harvester/combine of wide load coming towards you previously, now it could be a small tractor and transport box, no bigger than a transit van.

It's more to make other road users aware that there is a slow moving vehicle ahead, so slow down when you see the beacon and be prepared to pull over if it's a big yoke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Craggy Island

My point was that the assumption is there's a wide load coming when you see beacons.
    It's kind of a 'boy who cried wolf' scenario now.
    I remember a fella I know was behind a mf 35 and transport box that had 2 beacons going. He overtook him in his jeep and drove ahead of him with his hazards on.
    Left them on, crawling in front of him for a few miles. I don't think yer man got the point either.
    If you don't have an oversized load and are lit up front and back, I don't think there should be a need for them generally, unless you've fast oncoming traffic from behind or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭emaherx

My point was that the assumption is there's a wide load coming when you see beacons.
    It's kind of a 'boy who cried wolf' scenario now.
    I remember a fella I know was behind a mf 35 and transport box that had 2 beacons going. He overtook him in his jeep and drove ahead of him with his hazards on.
    Left them on, crawling in front of him for a few miles. I don't think yer man got the point either.
    If you don't have an oversized load and are lit up front and back, I don't think there should be a need for them generally, unless you've fast oncoming traffic from behind or something.

It sounds like you know a fella that is an ass! My biggest issue with most 35 type tractors is they have little or no lighting. Beacons are now a requirement and it is for the better. Don't see many tractors of any description with beacons on regardless of type of load yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭X6.430macman

Exactly, but I love them on I have the doubles on every where I go even around the yard.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Farmer

+1

Also very distracting when driving behind them at night

They should just enforce existing laws on lighting for smaller vehicles and leave the beacons for bale trailers, silage wagons, low loaders etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭rushvalley

Exactly, but I love them on I have the doubles on every where I go even around the yard.

Jaysus you're pure agri spec lawd 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

A orange beacon should be fitted to tractor and also any trailer fitted at rear as to warn others of their very slow presence.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭emaherx

Actually around the yard I find them very good especially if people on the ground are wearing hi-vis as they really highlight them. Have been a requirement on sites and all industrial complexes where there are a mix of vehicles and pedestrians for many years.
    Farmer wrote: »
    +1

Also very distracting when driving behind them at night

They should just enforce existing laws on lighting for smaller vehicles and leave the beacons for bale trailers, silage wagons, low loaders etc.
    A orange beacon should be fitted to tractor and also any trailer fitted at rear as to warn others of their very slow presence.

Strange thing is the new law only requires beacons attached to the tractor and not any mounted or trailed machinery.

Also on the distraction issue there is a huge variation of brightness's and flash/strobe effect from some of the beacons on the market some of them are crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Do the becons need to be on?

ganmo wrote: »
    Do the becons need to be on?

Yes....

• Advertisement

emaherx wrote: »
    Actually around the yard I find them very good especially if people on the ground are wearing hi-vis as they really highlight them. Have been a requirement on sites and all industrial complexes where there are a mix of vehicles and pedestrians for many years.

Strange thing is the new law only requires beacons attached to the tractor and not any mounted or trailed machinery.

Also on the distraction issue there is a huge variation of brightness's and flash/strobe effect from some of the beacons on the market some of them are crazy.

I like the spinner beacons but also like the repeater square block LED ones that flash 3 times in quick bursts.

If fitted correctly they are a great device to warn others.

Having a light on the tractor on paper is great but what happens when pulling large high side/back trailer or load as from the rear the beacon light would be obstructed.

Anything using the road at less then 50k should be fitted and lit.

Advertisement