Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How come Atheists are against anti blasphemy laws but are OK with bashing other .....

12345679»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

Pace2008 wrote: »
    Star-nosed mole, I choose you!

Star-nosed_mole.jpg

tumblr_lvm5ky5HpV1r5knofo1_250.png

There is no God.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭legspin

Northclare wrote: »
    Yeah another sick answer.
    Nice one kylith.....good to know the type of sick Muppets that come up with this kinda ****e be careful what you say about that kind of thing you twat.

Get the fúck over yourself.
    Enough with the name-calling while we're here.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Northclare wrote: »
    good to know the type of sick Muppets that come up with this kinda ****e be careful what you say about that kind of thing you twat.
    That was a reference to the "atheists eat babies"-level stuff that religious people produce from time to time. It's a joke.

Anyhow -- apart from directly insulting another poster which is against the forum charter -- as per my request earlier today concerning your posting style, you are now banned for a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I won't bother replying to Northclare's last post except to say two things. 1) I didn't even notice who I was replying too (not that it would have made any difference to me) and 2) doesn't it look like something that would eat souls?

Oh, and I haven't been called a twat in years! How quaint :)
    Newaglish wrote: »

There is no God.
    I think that it's quite cute, actually. If you want to see ugly google 'ugliest dog in the world'.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

robindch wrote: »
    That was a reference to the "atheists eat babies"-level stuff that religious people produce from time to time. It's a joke.

Anyhow -- apart from directly insulting another poster which is against the forum charter -- as per my request earlier today concerning your posting style, you are now banned for a week.

Actually, robindch I think you are being harsh on Northclare. I suspect that post may have actually been written by a shoal of mackerel. Think about it - it is the first one posted under that username that made sense - I still disagreed with it mind, but I least I didn't say '?????!!!:confused:'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Oranage2 wrote: »
    I havent seen the evidence to say we evolved from some sort of chimp,

I truly want to give you the benefit of the doubt, but when you say stuff like this after it has already been explained to you that no one in evolutionary biology thinks or says we evolved from chimps, it is hard not to think you are feigning ignorance for the craic.
    Pace2008 wrote: »
    No, he's right on this one. Language is an entirely human faculty, distinct from simple communication, that contains a syntax and is capable of forming an infinite (in practical terms) number of combinations from a finite number of discrete elements. To the extent of human knowledge, no other species is capable of producing language.

What about sign language apes?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,131 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

CiaranMT wrote: »
    Plenty of animals 'speak', and use language. Just because they don't use the same method as ours doesn't disqualify it as a language.

Chimps (or bonobos, not sure which) even have different dialects.

Hell, even plants communicate.

'Enough'? You're referring to mountains and mountains of evidence as not being 'enough'?

And it isn't a case of 'believing', you either accept the evidence for the idea or you seek to disprove it.

If you don't accept evolution, grand. But when you actively seek to debate it, or at least request information on it, you should be prepared to look into the topic.

Ha, well the part in bold, I come here, I did ask about evolution and I was given very nice answers, I have looked it up a little, and I have learned more, the fact that I havent asked why chimpanzees dont give birth to human babies should be testimony to that. Also I dont think I've been ramming my opinions on evolution down people's throats like some but not all posters here!
    Could you expand on this? So far this you've been pretty vague on what this cartel exists for.

Well I have some thoughts but I wont bore you with them now anyway.

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Just in case that is a serious question - I will give you a serious answer. It is 2012 because European Christians worked out that Jesus was apparently born 2012 years ago - so the year of his birth became year zero. Anything before that is termed B.C = Before Christ, and after is A.D = Anno Domini http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anno_Domini.

This is slowly being replaced by B.C.E = Before Common/Christian Era and C.E. = Common/Current/Christian Era.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_Era

For the Chinese it is the year 4709 http://www.chinapage.com/newyear.html

For Muslims it is the year 1433 http://www.al-habib.info/islamic-calendar/islamic-calendar-ummulqura-2011.htm

For Jews it is the year 5772 http://judaism.about.com/od/holidays/a/Jewish-Holiday-Calendar-5772-2011-2012.htm

Thanks for that, I didnt want to waste your time I just wanted to show people that I do have a sense of humour :)
    Nice, now can you answer the question?

Why even ask such a question.....twice?

If I was to remember off my head it would to do with the sun's gravitation similar with the moon and the earth. Of course I could just google the answer but then I'd be accused of googling the answer, but if I didnt know that would that make me thick? Does not knowing something make somebody unintelligent? And if somebody isnt intelligent does that make them a worse person?

The fact that you'd ask such a question really gives me an insight to the type of person you are.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Why even ask such a question.....twice?

If I was to remember off my head it would to do with the sun's gravitation similar with the moon and the earth. Of course I could just google the answer but then I'd be accused of googling the answer, but if I didnt know that would that make me thick? Does not knowing something make somebody unintelligent? And if somebody isnt intelligent does that make them a worse person?

The fact that you'd ask such a question really gives me an insight to the type of person you are.

Woah, someone's getting defensive. It's not my intention to make you look foolish, you manage that perfectly without any outside interference.

My reason for asking the question in the first place was because you say you don't trust scientists, but I see from your answer here that you are rather selective about which scientists you distrust. Let me guess, any scientist who offers an alternative to ''God did it'' are the ones that are conspiring together, yes?

And one has to ask a question a second time when it is not answered the first.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

As an aside, I do get a bit of a chuckle every time someone expresses their mistrust of science via the medium of a computer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

Woah, someone's getting defensive. It's not my intention to make you look foolish, you manage that perfectly without any outside interference.

My reason for asking the question in the first place was because you say you don't trust scientists, but I see from your answer here that you are rather selective about which scientists you distrust. Let me guess, any scientist who offers an alternative to ''God did it'' are the ones that are conspiring together, yes?

Who needs an alternative? It's got ALL the hits:

http://www.amazon.com/God-Evelyn-Turrentine-Agee-Warriors/dp/B00004NH6M

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭sephir0th

Galvasean wrote: »

Phew Koko got new kittens! You had me wasting loads of time on youtube - I got to a video of a dog and a crow playing with a ball...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

So far I've no problems with this, I do believe mountains exist and also I do believe that we evolve but through genetic variation. I just dont think it's possible and I havent seen the evidence to say we evolved from some sort of chimp

There is plenty of evidence out there. For example, you can see in human genetic code where DNA fused in our ancestor but not in other apes.

There is plenty of other evidence that is out there to view and research to any level you are satisfied with. The question to you would be how interested are you in this research.
    if that was the case how come we're the only animals that speak. I know other animals do communicate but not through a language.

I'm not sure how humans being the only species able to form complex language is evidence against common ancestry with other primates.

It should also be pointed out that there is strong evidence to suggest that Neanderthal also had primitive language.
    Perhaps ignorance but I call it just not being enough facts to believe in evolution.

Again though you seem quite ignorant of what facts there are to support evolution. Would it not be prudent to not make up your mind (or defer to the scientists) until you have researched it more. Dismissing it off hand seems rather rash.
    Again I cant argue with really, I just have my opinions that there's a science cartel out there.

Can I ask based on what evidence, and what motivation would there be to prop up an unsupported and inaccurate theory that both the scientists and businesses are pouring billions of dollars into but which is known to be wrong?
    When I said I dont care too much for I meant I dont care enough to put hours of research into looking up evolution or even reading a book. The past is the past, intersting stuff but not vital for me to know what's it about as my life goes on lally dally regardless.

That is fair enough, again there are plenty of things I don't care enough about to bother doing much research on (medeval folk dance for example). Again though I would consider it rash for me to decide something about medeval folk dancing that is contradictory to the consensus of the historians who do actually care about 12th century folk dancing, given how little I know about it and how much they do know about it.

I certainly don't think anyone should blindly accept what they are told. But there is a difference between simply not knowing or caring about a subject to form a solid opinion on it and rejecting a subject despite not knowing or caring about a subject enough to form a solid opinion about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,131 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

What you talkin bout Willis?

Scratch that i don't care.

I shall take a little break from this forum for atleast a week, too energy draining.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

I shall take a little break from this forum for atleast a week, too energy draining.

yeah, sticking your head in the sand for so long must get tiring

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

Galvasean wrote: »

"Sign language apes" may not be as accurate a term as "Apes that have been taught some signs." Certainly, chimps and gorillas have, under instruction, learned to utilise signs to covey simple desires or feelings, but there has not been a majority consensus amongst linguists and cognitive scientists that the brief symbol strings displayed by the apes constitute a syntax, which is required for communication to qualify as full-blown language. "bad-frown-sad" is an expression of emotion but it is not a sentence.

Interesting stuff all the same, and worthy of further research.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭sonicthebadger*

sephir0th wrote: »
    Phew Koko got new kittens! You had me wasting loads of time on youtube - I got to a video of a dog and a crow playing with a ball...

That dog and crow video is amazing! I want a pet crow now. My Granny actually used to have two but the idea of having pet crows lost some of its shine when one of them spotted her walking on the Main Street one day and came down to say hello. She needed to go home and get clean clothes. :pac:

Advertisement