Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin to Cork Express Coach

124»

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,582 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

foggy_lad wrote: »
    It appears that all trace of the X1 and X33 Express services to Belfast and Derry have been removed from the Bus Eireann website. is this a sign of impending changes? for some time there was a notice on the X33 timetable stating that free travel passes were not valid for use on the service.

I'm not sure the rules on licensing for cross border services, but I know they are a little different without doubt. Also the X1 timetable was only valid for a limited period if I remember correctly.
    Got the 8pm Aircoach from Dublin to Cork about a month ago. Approx. 7 of us got in Dublin, nobody got on or off the whole way and we all got off in Cork

The 8pm coach was introduced at the end of November, I don't think it has been well advertised enough and people don't know that it exists, I've seen a crazy number of people waiting for the 7pm coach, the old last coach, but the 8pm coach has been quite lightly used. Hopefully that will change as an extra hour is beneficial without doubt to people.
    bk wrote: »
    Cork - Dublin
    Car 50%, Rail 40%, Bus 10%

Galway - Dublin
    Car 50%, Rail 25%, Bus 25%

Let me repeat that, if the Galway pattern is followed then Irish Rail could lose 40% of it's passengers!

I'm not so convinced, if the Galway is 25% each between Bus and Train, I can only see the train percentage being higher on the Cork route than the Galway, because of the fact the train will still be quicker. Business people will still use the train for obvious reasons. Of course Irish Rail will be hit, but not to the degree on which they were hit by Galway.
    As has been pointed out, they currently survive on a combination of both direct and intermediate passengers. Now I don't know what the percentage mix is, but I would be very surprised if it isn't at least 50% direct, if not more.

I would say direct would be 50% less. Thats my experience traveling on BE, AC, and Irish Rail. A lot of passengers are getting on at other stops.
    Also BE can respond to changes in passenger demand more quickly, they can reduce scheduled services more easily due to their heavy use of contractors.

Bus Eireann do not use contractors on the Cork route. They use all their own vehicles. Aircoach occasionally use Kearneys of Cork and very occasionally Pierce Kavanagh coaches. However these are normally when there is unforeseen heavy demand at the Cork end (Kearneys) or breakdown or service disruption (Pierce Kavanagh, based in Urlingford)

Of course that would put even more pressure on Irish Rail.

One thing that I do think that all these coach services need, is dedicated bus stations in both Dublin and Cork. It is my opinion that the NTA should take ownership of the rail stations and develop them as integrated mutli operator, multi transport hubs.[/QUOTE]

I agree we need proper bus stations for everyone to be able to use, but I can't see it happening in Dublin, where will it go? Busaras is FAR too full as it is, so it isn't going to happen there. In Cork one may be more likely however, something like the one in Galway would be excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,237 ✭✭✭markpb

Hogzy wrote: »
    Just go before hand?

What if you have to travel to get to the start of the IC route? What if you're late because you got held up in work/college/traffic? What if you go and, for whatever reason, you need to go again? Do you think a bus company telling you to just hold it for 3 hours is going to attract them many customers?

If nothing else, you've just ruled out every pregnant woman from your customer base. Also anyone with young children. Probably a lot of old people. I hope you're not going into the bus business anytime soon :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Jehuty42

Just go before hand?

Where? In the bus station that doesn't exist?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Do you people wet the bed every night or something? WTF!

If people have a bladder problem they can get the Bus Eireann bus that stops in some towns.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,237 ✭✭✭markpb

Do you people wet the bed every night or something? WTF! If people have a bladder problem they can get the Bus Eireann bus that stops in some towns.

My pregnant wife goes to the bathroom several times a night. She doesn't wet the bed because we have a bathroom :)

She won't take buses right now, because they don't have toilets, it's the only reason we contemplate taking the train anywhere these days and when the train is a bad option, we rent a car.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

devnull wrote: »
    I'm not so convinced, if the Galway is 25% each between Bus and Train, I can only see the train percentage being higher on the Cork route than the Galway, because of the fact the train will still be quicker. Business people will still use the train for obvious reasons. Of course Irish Rail will be hit, but not to the degree on which they were hit by Galway.

I admitted that in my post, but I also pointed out that the difference in ticket prices is much greater on the Cork route, then the Galway route, so that will also have an effect.

The price of the train to Galway is only 2 times higher then the bus, but to Cork the train is 3 to 4 times higher. That will certainly also have an effect.

I was talking to a friend of mine last night about this new service, a Corkonian living in the Dublin who also often takes the train. He would jump at such a new service, he has found the recent price increases hard and goes to Cork less often as a result.

However he did make an interesting point, he felt that if the trains was guaranteed max 2h30mins at all times and €60 max (walk up return fair), that he might take it instead of this new bus service.

He felt 2h47m or even 2h30m for €80 versus 3h for €20/25 just wasn't competitive. He wouldn't mind sitting in a bus for an extra 30 minutes to save €60.

Just something interesting to think about.

Aircoach vehicles have a toilet? Since when was this? All they were using is 2004 Setra's and those god awful Scania vehicles that are the same length as the Setra's, but having 10 more seats = squashed tomatoes. At least Bus Eireann use PB's that are much better vehicles.

You are very out of date. Of course I suspect that you know very well it is not the case and are just trying to be on one of your usual Aircoach rants, still just in case the casual passer believes your bull lets set you straight.

Firstly, those 2004 Scania's have been acting as backup vehicles and can now operate on any service should they be required pretty much since December when the Greystones timetable was cut back which also happened to co-inside with a change in the way the fleet is used with the end goal of increasing capacity on the Cork route which was leaving passengers behind.

The 44 seat Setra's have also been withdrawn from the Cork route, as they are nice and spacious, but not really economical on such a route when your ending up leaving a handful of passengers behind on a route which runs every two hours whilst meanwhile Dublin City routes have longer vehicles that have more seats not using them.

Now they have put 4 of the 2009 Volvo 53 seater tri-axle long coaches feed up from the above mentioned changes on the Cork route. These do not have toilets (as they were originally intended for other routes but are very nice coaches that Citylink use and GoBus also have a few of them. Very good leg-room, great aircon and a very smooth ride because of the extra axle. They also have Wifi and are a much nicer coach than the Scania.

With the other service changes this weekend it's possible it may have even more of these coaches on the route as they have been freed up from other duties.

They also have a Scania PB, similar to Bus Eireann that seats 53 and a 2011 Volvo on loan to cover one of the other tri-axle's that needs to have some repairs done to it under warranty. This vehicle has a toilet and I guess is what the poster was on. There's one more vehicle that also has a toilet that is used on the Cork route and that is a 2005 Setra with 51 seats, but I believe this may have left the fleet.

I know you would probably dispute the above, so I went to the trouble of posting a photo of them all operating a Cork route.
    Aircoach normally don't have toilets (and wouldn't make sense on their shorter Dublin routes), but it is possible they have one or two buses with toilets

See above.
    markpb wrote: »
    Lots of people can't wait 3+ hours. And even if they could, it's not comfortable and no-one wants to be uncomfortable for over 3 hours.

But they do have the option of stopping half way to go to the toilet on the current Bus Eireann and Aircoach services.
    Just go before hand?
    Not always appropriate with kids.

markpb wrote: »
    My pregnant wife goes to the bathroom several times a night. She doesn't wet the bed because we have a bathroom :)

She won't take buses right now, because they don't have toilets, it's the only reason we contemplate taking the train anywhere these days and when the train is a bad option, we rent a car.

Fair enough. Even if there were toilets on a bus I dont think they could accomodate a pregnant woman (im not trying to be insulting here).

I mean, i was on a bus in Spain that had on board toilets. They were absolutly tiny. Way smaller than what you would find on plane.

Why dont you take the regular buses? They stop in every town for a good 10mins. Im sure the driver would be more than obliging to hold on for a minute for a pregnant woman.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Do you people wet the bed every night or something? WTF!

If people have a bladder problem they can get the Bus Eireann bus that stops in some towns.

And it is exactly this sort of thinking, that bus coach services haven't meet their full potential yet. It is this sort of thinking that gives people the image of buses as been the cheap nasty option only suitable for students.

I had the same opinion until last year when I took GoBus to Galway. Then I found a very comfortable, fast, quiet bus ride with onboard toilets. A pretty excellent service, almost as good as rail.

In the US they have taken this concept even further, where they put just 25, large, fully reclinable, first class airline style seats on a 55 seater bus, with a host that serves food and drinks, to give a premium travel service.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

No - I was replying to xOxSinéadxOx who suggested there was toilets.

Yes, they did when I got it about a month ago from Cork to Dublin. Don't know much about buses but it wasn't the 'usual' aircoach bus. Although don't think it was on hire because it had Aircoach on the side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭dowlingm

The price of the train to Galway is only 2 times higher then the bus, but to Cork the train is 3 to 4 times higher.
    BE actually seems to run a fairly tight fare by distance regime if the Galway and Cork posted fares are a guide. The reason for the differential is the cheaper per-km cost Dublin-Galway by rail vs Dublin-Cork. Also Galway people were bustituted for a long time due to stock shortage and were chucked onto a 2700 the other week due to a Mayo club GAA match needing the stock.

Ignore dub_commuter - he has a chip on his shoulder when it comes to Aircoach, he continually posts deliberately misleading statements, rumors and information he knows is in accurate because he seems to have some sort of grudge against the company. When asked to factually back information up he cannot do it.

BK - are you referring to BoltBus/Neon/Megabus?

devnull wrote: »
    BK - are you referring to BoltBus/Neon/Megabus?

Sorry, not sure, read an article about it, but can't seem to find it now. I did however find these other interesting links:

http://chennaifocus.wordpress.com/2011/12/27/travel-in-olivea-luxury-bus-redefined/
    http://www.neoplan-bus.com/cms/en/starliner/starliner_ausstattung/ausstattung.html
    dowlingm wrote:
    BE actually seems to run a fairly tight fare by distance regime if the Galway and Cork posted fares are a guide. The reason for the differential is the cheaper per-km cost Dublin-Galway by rail vs Dublin-Cork. Also Galway people were bustituted for a long time due to stock shortage and were chucked onto a 2700 the other week due to a Mayo club GAA match needing the stock.

Oh, I wasn't complaining about the price difference. More just pointing out that there is a much greater difference on the Cork route, which will put even more pressure on Irish Rail on the Cork route then it does on the Galway route.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 DalkeyResident

<deleted>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 DalkeyResident

<deleted>.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,040 ✭✭✭Vic_08

Did you know they were a British company? Maybe next time you would like to support your own country? You have a very Irish name and I assume you are proud to be Irish?

Here in Dalkey our illegal Irish bus service got pushed off the road by the same British company.

Fixed your post.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

Did you know they were a British company? Maybe next time you would like to support your own country? You have a very Irish name and I assume you are proud to be Irish?

Here in Dalkey our legal Irish bus service got pushed off the road by the same British company.

Irrelevant much?
    I like supporting Aircoach because they offer me a better service.

Irrelevant much?
    I like supporting Aircoach because they offer me a better service.

Exactly. Survival of the fittest. Im fed up of this attitude of "support the Irish" at times when the "Irish" are providing a terrible service. Why should one support a business that lags behind its competitors.

Actually there is one branch of an Irish shop which I'm not going to name, that is in a right state and there are numerous problems in the store, whether that is out of date stock, or things in poor condition, badly stocked shelves, misleading prices and their answer to everything is "But we're Irish" that is the kind of attitude I really take a disliking to.

No problem with supporting Irish business, and will do so when something deserves to be supported and will always champion such great Irish things. However At the same time this is not my only consideration when buying or using a product or service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭BenShermin

Loving the xenophobic crap on this thread! All I care about is getting down to Cork cheap and fast to enjoy a few jars of Murphy's and quality time with my Corkonian friends and family. At the end of the day isn't that what being Irish really means!!

In reply to a question as to why I use BÉ instead of Aircoach, I do it because I find the SP class more comfy and at busy weekend times when I travel I'm almost guaranteed an extra "express" coach to/from Dublin that only takes 3hrs, the Internet fares are also cheap on BÉ and their loyalty club gives some good benefits that I use.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

BenShermin wrote: »
    Loving the xenophobic crap on this thread! All I care about is getting down to Cork cheap and fast to enjoy a few jars of Murphy's and quality time with my Corkonian friends and family. At the end of the day isn't that what being Irish Corkonian really means!!.

FYP

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Kumsheen

There was talk recently about GoBus launching an Express service on the Dublin-Cork route.
    Anybody have any update on this?

Kumsheen wrote: »
    There was talk recently about GoBus launching an Express service on the Dublin-Cork route.
    Anybody have any update on this?

Well according to the NTA website, it looks like they were award the license about 2 months ago. It also looks like Aircoach were award a direct license 4 months ago.

So possibly two companies operating direct non stop services Cork to Dublin :D

Haven't heard about them launching yet, hopefully soon, takes time to get the new buses, hire drivers, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭richard2010

Aircoach Recruitment Team
    RECRUITMENT - Would you like to be part of Ireland’s professional coach driving team? (Dublin or Cork based)
    23rd March 2012

Would you like to be part of Ireland’s professional coach driving team?

We are currently inviting applications from experienced coach drivers, with a passion for customer service, to be based at our depots in either Dublin or Cork.

We operate 7 days a week and therefore successful applicants would be required to work shifts that cover weekends, evenings, nights, daytime, and early mornings.

If you have a passion for driving, providing excellent customer service, and are interested in the role, please initially email your CV and covering letter (both in .doc, .docx, or .pdf format) to recruitment@aircoach.ie.

Please note that all successful applicants must be in possession of a full D-Category EU Driving Licence, 4 CPC Modules, and a Digital Tachograph Card.

We look forward to hearing from you.

Aircoach Recruitment Team
    http://www.aircoach.ie/news.article.php?ID=345

Well according to the NTA website, it looks like they were award the license about 2 months ago. It also looks like Aircoach were award a direct license 4 months ago.

So possibly two companies operating direct non stop services Cork to Dublin :D

Haven't heard about them launching yet, hopefully soon, takes time to get the new buses, hire drivers, etc.

Aircoach have two Licenses for Dublin to Cork, one granted years ago which was renewed last October or so, and another one which was granted 4 months ago for the 1.00am service which goes to Dublin Airport from Cork city bypassing Dublin City.

If it was an express it would be down as such in the table but it isn't, note that the GoBus one is down as this. We have nothing to suggest Aircoach will be starting up such service - extra recruitment may just be down to replacing staff who may have left.

Word on the street suggests nobody is near ready to get any service going at the moment and I'd be surprised to see anything for a few weeks at least.

Advertisement