Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sport/Hobbies in Leaving Cert

• 24-02-2007 4:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭

What are everyones views on activities during the year?

Personally I feel sport helps you relax, to stay focused and keeps you fit during LC. I particiate in sport this year and I think helps me mentally and physically in the school day.

However, it does take up alot of time out of your week and leave you tired in the evenings.

Do ye think it's a good or bad idea?

Sort during the LC 20 votes

Yes, has many benefits
    0% 0 votes
    No, takes up study time
    50% 10 votes
    Occasionally
    15% 3 votes
    Suits different people
    35% 7 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Haven't a Clue

Healthy body, healthy mind. So yeah, I'd try and get to the gym a couple of times during the week...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭md99

depends on points and whatever...

i was big into the gym last summer, gave it up totally as the year went on, just became too time-consuming and also.. puts you into a different mindframe than what you need for study, so you spend more time readjusting which I disliked.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭yurmothrintites

Ya, I went to the gym alot last year but I gave it up this year because it consumed alot of my time. It does however he focus the mind. There is such a thing as too much study and regular breaks benefit more if exercise is incorporated into them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Fobia

I'm the opposite to the last few posts actually. Whereas last year my exercise consisted solely of walking home each day (in fairness, it's 4 miles), I took up the gym over the Summer and loved it. I stopped at the start of leaving cert, but found I was missing it alot, I felt weaker and more tired even though I was getting enough sleep.

So since Christmas I've been going to sleep at 10.30 on weeknights and getting up at 6.45am to go to the gym each morning. I find it helps me concentrate, and the extra time lets me eat a proper breakfast which keeps me awake all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,098 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Well, gaelic training is only back now, so hopefully I'll see some improvements over the next few weeks. I always go to bed early, half 10 at latest, just so I can concentrate more the next morning. The only nights I wont study, apart from weekends, are training nights, so thats only two midweek days. Even then, if I've no homework, I'll get some done before it so its fine. Keeping the balance is what its about, hopefully I can do that now. Its great to get outside into the cold,wet, winter/spring evenings, for something that resembles boot-camp.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

I'm terrible for staying up on the Internet and going to bed at 1 or 2. I try and get to be before 11.30 most nights though.

I played a load of basketball up until 2 weeks ago when we got knocked out of the All Irelands. Now I dunno what to do sportwise. I don't like the gym. I might take up running again(did it up to 4th year, then gave it up in 5th year) and perhaps see if I can get myself fit enough for the 1500m in the Dublin Track Championships, but I doubt I'll be motivated enough...

I play guitar and recorder also. Recorder lesson is at 9:30 on Sat morning so that's grand(I got grade 8 last year and amn't doing LC music, so that class and the odd bit of playing between studying to relax myself is all I do now). I've missed a fair few guitar classes since it's at 6:30 on Tuesday evening and I tend to have history tests on Wednesdays. I play guitar a good bit in my free time though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭madgal

I'm going to start using my teachers for kick-boxing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,179 ✭✭✭FunkZ

I'm gonna go for a jog now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭yurmothrintites

I think any hobbies like sport, music, walking or even using your teachers for kickboxing:) are essential for a healthy variation of activities during this stressful year. Although television is great watching it after study can sometimes be unbeneficial after a hard day at school.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭no leaf clover

me personally, i train four to seven times a week, by payin more attentionin class than in 5th year, its hasnt been much of a burden.. tis good to have a hobby, i said depends on the person though, as it does..!

• Advertisement
Advertisement