Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ITB Library...

• 17-01-2012 11:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

Used the library over the last couple of days for the first time as I am a part time student and take classes at night-time.

At the risk of sound like an old fart (I'm 34) - when I was in college for the first time in 1995, when you went to the library you kept quiet and studied.

Everyone knows that a library is not for talking and your supposed to be quiet.

I swear to god I nearly went postal at a group of four clowns in the library yesterday who were laughing and joking, talking and then to top it all off making phone calls on their mobiles.

Why bother going to the library in the first place if your not even going to bother studying?

Seriously, there is a huge lack of consideration for other people in the world today.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭brendanL

Yeah was upstairs the other day and two lads had a full blown conversation while a girl went mad opposite me... in the end someone said something to them.

I think the real problem at the moment is... that most of the library is sectioned off for group work.. at non exam times and now that the exams are on every spot is supposed to be a silence area... but people wander in used to the group work and sit down and have a nice chat :rolleyes:

To be honest I'm guilty of talking up there last week myself with lads in my class but to be fair it was about 5:30 and we were the only ones left ;D

If it really irks you.. and it did me you can just go to a room in the college... there's plenty open at the moment... and even if there are people in them generally they're quieter then when in the library XD

The weird thing is the library is far louder at the moment then when it's normal rules and the numbers seem similiar. The staff do tell people to be quiet but they have other work to be doing, rather then constantly policing the place. I don't see it improving but the zones system does work at other times of the year really well.

To be honest my only gripe with the library is the 5e fine for accidently setting of the door alarm.. that is a joke it's worth atleast one good meal in the cantine ;) maybe if they swapped it for making 'excessive noise' and that would make everyone aware... eventually

But yeah.. noisy library.... go elsewhere.. I was in e all today and totally alone in a lab.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 2,588 Mod ✭✭✭✭KonFusion

Last year there was a library attendant walking around (during exam time) who's specific job was to ensure students maintained quiet study. I wonder why there was none this year?

I'd just ask them politely to be quiet. Usually works for me. If they continue to be loud I'd ask them to go elsewhere.

I'd like to see a 3 strike system. Loud in the library = 1 strike. 3 strikes and you're banned for the year. Seems completely fair to me. People being loud during exam time have absolutely no consideration for others.

If they're still loud, especially during exam time, I'd say it's without your rights to drag them outside and beat them into silence :pac:

Also with regards to people talking on their mobiles- It's a 5 euro fine, same as setting off the alarm.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭brendanL

There is still staff wandering around occasionally... as a result of this sometimes everythings super quiet... or as soon as they wander off people have a chat... and then it's an age before another library person is around again... bit of a pain.

...there's always the Konfusion avenue..

talking in the library at exam time?
    thats-a-paddlin.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

Ok, so if people are talking about projects or exams then I can turn a blind eye (or in ear in this case)...

But falling around the place laughing at crap on facebook and on mobile phones??? Joke...

The staff didn't patrol once while I was there on both occasions - having said that, they shouldn't have to. We're all adults.

Anyway, rant over...

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭EclipsiumRasa

Had the same BS in the library of my IT a few years ago.

Didn't exactly help that the place had opera house accoustics either...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

Noise in the library is a huge issue. I don't know if any of you have been in other college/uni libraries but you would be afraid to talk, it is just not tolerated!

The students need to speak up to those making the noise to stop it. Throwing filthy looks and getting pissed off will get us nowhere. Next time you hear someone talking in the library don't just accept it!

Yep agree 100%.

Normally id I need silence I'll just go to the library in the centre or find another room. The only time I go into the library is when I can't find any other free rooms.

The last time I was in it, last week, I was there for 40 mins and one person came around telling people to be quite, and as said before, as soon as he leaves, the noise starts again.

They should just block all social networking sites etc on the wireless while exams are going on! I watched some muppet breaking his shi*e at some video on Facebook (didn't really bother me though as I was just waiting for an exam and playing a game on my phone :p)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 2,588 Mod ✭✭✭✭KonFusion

Judging from recent texts/emails, seems that they are doing something about the noise in the library, and bringing in students to monitor it.

For those who don't check their email:
    From Monday next, the 13th of Feb, there will zero tolerance of food, drink and excessive noise in the Library. You may only bring water bottles into the Library. If you eat or drink anything else, you will be asked to leave.
    If your mobile phone rings and/or if you speak on your phone, you will be fined €5.
    If you make excessive noise in the Library, you will be asked to leave.

Advertisement