Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ear drops - dogs

• 17-08-2012 3:57pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Anyone know if I can buy ear drops over the counter. My collie x is shaking his head a lot, the last couple of time ( usually once a yr) I took him to vets who said they couldnt see anything but gave him drops which seemed to do the job. Thing is I really can't afford a vets visit at the minute so wondered if I had another option?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

angeldaisy wrote: »
    Anyone know if I can buy ear drops over the counter. My collie x is shaking his head a lot, the last couple of time ( usually once a yr) I took him to vets who said they couldnt see anything but gave him drops which seemed to do the job. Thing is I really can't afford a vets visit at the minute so wondered if I had another option?

Make up a mild solution of apple cider
    Vinegar, clean out the ears using cotton wool. That should help!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Was it mites the last time that caused the head shaking or was it just a build up of ear wax? If it was mites if not already no harm in getting a tube of Advocate from the vets to treat him with it, just squeeze the drops onto the back of the neck and it should help clear any mites on the body.

Be careful of the ear though as it's pretty delicate, if you notice a smell or the dog is whining when scratching he'll need to see the vet. You can warm a bit of olive oil ..just place some in an egg cup and put the egg cup in a bowl of hot water for a minute or so make sure it's only body warm not hot, and drop a few drops in each ear and run the ear gently this is handy for softening up ear wax but if the ear isn't blocked and it's mites causing the problem then advocate or drops from the vet will help.

Sometimes you can just explain the situation to the vet and they'll give you the stuff over the counter obviously if it gets worse they'll want to see the dog.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

It wasn't mites and I don't think it was a build up of wax, I remember him saying that collies can overheat? I can't remember if they were antibiotic drops or not, I think I might give them a quick call and find out
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Irishchick

Some vets will give ear drops such as orydermil or surolan over the counter if your pet has a record of being there and suffering from the problem previously. The best way to find out is to ring up and ask.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Canaural ear drops. My vet prescribed them and when I ran out I bought them from a pharmacy that also sells some pet supplies. I found them very good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,076 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

angeldaisy wrote: »
    It wasn't mites and I don't think it was a build up of wax, I remember him saying that collies can overheat? I can't remember if they were antibiotic drops or not, I think I might give them a quick call and find out
    Thanks
    My spaniel has a problem with hot,red ears. We had him at the vet for his annual shots and it was then the vet noticed it and gave us drops. However I wouldnt think the vet will give you them without examining the dog first

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

Okay so I took him to the vets and she had a good look, no sign of infection or mites, just a small bit of redness in one ear. She said it is probably down to the humidity causing irritation. She gave me Surolan ear drops to use on him for the next week or so.

My question is - does anyone know of anything I can get over the counter that would help to calm this irritation in future? I know he's my baby and I don't like seeing him suffer however if there is anyway I can avoid handing over 50 euro each time it would be great :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I have a cat that has problems with irritation of one of his ears, the vet prescribed Canaural drops. They are designed for dogs but work on cats too. I keep a bottle for when his ears are irritated and its great for soothing the ears. Its available in pharmacies.Canaural is under 10 euro a bottle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

A few years back I was back and forth to the vets with 2 of my dogs who I thought were getting ear infections/mites etc.. Every time I went the vet said he could see nothing wrong but gave me Surolan to use.

Then one visit I got a stand in vet and she said that there is nothing wrong with the dogs ears but to use an ear cleaner on a regular basis which will dissolve hidden wax, clean out irritants etc... She gave me Epi-Otic - its a dog ear cleaner available over the counter at the vets so you dont need to pay for consultation fees.

Its brilliant altogether - I clean their ears about twice a month and whenever I see shaking head episodes starting I clean them again. No more vets visits and no more medicated ear drops (I dont like giving medicine unnecessarily). A large bottle of Epi-Otic costs 12 euro and lasts a good while.

Advertisement