Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving cert outside school?

• 01-11-2010 5:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hello.

I am 17 and living in Dublin I am in 6th year finishing my last year of LCA (leaving cert applied)
    I'm having alot of difficulties with the course as it is not what I wanted at all.
    I really want to go back and do the Traditional leaving cert.
    I'm just looking for information as I don't know where to go and look for this.
    I want to drop out of 6th year take time to study and do my traditional leaving cert in a outside place, not a school.

Would anyone have information on this??

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭readystudypass

You can do the leaving cert as an external student. That means studying at home by yourself. Would you be interested in this? There's lots of information on the net like www.examinations.ie where you can get past papers, marking schemes and chief examiners reports. Also www.education.ie has the syllabus for every subject. www.youtube.com has helpful videos for the sciences. www.sparknotes.com is useful for english. You need a lot of discipline however to study by yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 DW1234

You can do the leaving cert as an external student. That means studying at home by yourself. Would you be interested in this? There's lots of information on the net like www.examinations.ie where you can get past papers, marking schemes and chief examiners reports. Also www.education.ie has the syllabus for every subject. www.youtube.com has helpful videos for the sciences. www.sparknotes.com is useful for english. You need a lot of discipline however to study by yourself.

Hi Thanks for the reply! :)
    Yeah that would be something im intrested in.
    where would i get the lists of books i need, What exactly i need to study and
    when to change subjects and all that sort of information?
    How do you go about this, and is there anything else involved in proceding with this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

I think it would be very hard for you to do a full Leaving Cert programme on your own, despite all the resources that are out there.

I can understand why you don't want to go back and start again in your current school, but I think you should seriously consider transferring into 5th year in another school in your area.

You could also contact the VEC to see what other options might be available to you. Here's a link to the City of Dublin VEC website:
    http://www.cdvec.ie/en/index.cfm/do/home

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭readystudypass

Lists of books:
    After you decide which subjects you would like to do or which ones are necessary for any entry requirements to college, you can ask on here for which books people find best. A browse through Easons or a schoolbook store will show the options also. If you are not near a suitable store you can look online at www.schoolbooks.ie

What you need to study:
    The syllabi on www.education.ie is your friend here. Keep going over past papers.

When to change subjects:
    If you are not happy you should change now. It's a big step to take pulling out of school especially when you only have a few months to go. However, the longer you leave it, the longer you will have to wait to sit the traditional leaving cert because you'll need extra time to study for it.

How to go about this:
    Applications for external students close around the end of January for the leaving cert that year. Information is on www.examinations.ie . Note that some subjects like geography, history , religion, home economics, ag science (and others) have teacher supervised projects as part of the exam so unless you can find a teacher willing to supervise your project you can't do these subjects externally. Also the sciences have mandatory experiments which are supposed to be carried out in a lab. Some colleges run leaving cert lab days in January so you should attend one of these if you are doing a science subject.

Anything else involved:
    An awful lot of catching up for you to do. If you can just get your LC applied, you could then do something that you'd enjoy. The worst thing would be for you to drop out of the LCA and then in 2 months find that the traditional leaving cert isn't all you expected.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,088 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The worst thing would be for you to drop out of the LCA and then in 2 months find that the traditional leaving cert isn't all you expected.

This.

At least finish what you've started. You should know by now (from your Session 1 and 2 results) what sort of result you will get in the LCA. Maximise your credits for the rest of the year. If you are aiming for a FETAC/PLC course (and possibly associated college entry) following whatever flavour Leaving Cert. you are doing, you may well have the entry requirements with the LCA and could be a year into your college course by the time you would be waiting on standard Leaving Cert. results.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 DW1234

Yeah all good points, Thanks!

What about FAS or Youth reach or anything like that where i can finish it?

Thanks.. :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,088 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Some Youthreach centres offer the LCA, but if you are not currently attending, you will lose many of the key assignment credits for this session for having less than 90% attendance.

Drop in to your local Youthreach and see. As far as I know, you can always repeat one session of LCA, so if for example Session 3 has been a bit of a disaster, you can carry on, do Session 4 and repeat Session 3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 gwenc

hi all, i read this thread with interest.... i am employed as a home school tutor this yr, teaching a LC student, to be honest i hadn't expected it to be as challenging as it is.. were doing eng, irish, french, maths, bio, home ec and ag sci.. i am just asking if anyone can give me any help tips or advice on any of these subjects it would be greratly appreciated..
    thanks in advance :)
    gwen..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

gwenc wrote: »
    hi all, i read this thread with interest.... i am employed as a home school tutor this yr, teaching a LC student, to be honest i hadn't expected it to be as challenging as it is.. were doing eng, irish, french, maths, bio, home ec and ag sci.. i am just asking if anyone can give me any help tips or advice on any of these subjects it would be greratly appreciated..
    thanks in advance :)
    gwen..

As a Home tutor, you should be liaising with the Year Head and subject teachers in the school that the student was attending previously to this. You are not expected to 'teach' all of these subjects by yourself - how would you access resources for Home Ec practicals or Biology experiments for example? Make sure the school is providing you with enough support - eg curriculum resources, year planner, assignments, notes etc. If there is a SENCO, get them involved if you feel you are being overly challenged. For practical resources, check out Second Level Support Services (http://slss.ie/) and sites like scoilnet.

Advertisement