Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gym Reviews

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Dubdude

NicoSanty wrote: »
    I live in Templeogue and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for gyms around or near this area.

Had a tour of the Carlisle earlier and it seems alrite but would like some other options.

You could try http://the-gym.ie/ in rathgar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Gav.80

Im thinking of the caryle also but looking into other options, there is a new gym in rathmnines/dartry, I got a flyer saying its half price in January but cant find any info on how much it is to join, I phoned them but they wouldnt tell me and its not on their site, has anyone joined LA fitness in Rathmines?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭jugger0

JJayoo wrote: »
    Got a years membership to the NUIGalway gym for 250. Its the current student price, but they seem very keen to get new members.

I was a member with Peak Physique before and they sent me 3 x 50 euro vouchers. These can be used against the current full year membership,so you can get it for 149.

If anyone in Galway wants them pm me, have to be used before the 1st jan.

whats your opinion on the nui gym?

• Registered Users Posts: 34 mobile w

Hey folks. My gym membership has expired and was looking around to see if there is anything in my area that might suit me better and i came across The Gym in rathgar.

Does anyone have any experience with it? how are the facilities? Is it excessively busy?

Its very close to where I live so would be tempting if it was good. Im currently doing de franco's BLABA programme to indicate what sort of equip i would be interested in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭tech

Gym Membership is up in the Cork City area,

been looking at the following

Leisureworld €535
    NRG Fitness € ?
    marydke arena €640
    Clarion Gym €495
    K2ny €? no pool
    Denneheny Fitness €495 no pool

Has anyone got any thoughts on the above, good / bad points

tks

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,643 Mod ✭✭✭✭Daisies

Hey guys,

I'm looking to join a gym in Galway city. Preferably no more than 15/20 min walk from Bridge St. I will ideally use in twice a week but if it has a wide range of classes that I can attend without paying extra I will use it more frequently.

I'm looking for somewhere not too expensive and with a decent cardio and weights selection.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭shortys94

jugger0 wrote: »
    whats your opinion on the nui gym?

Currently a member of NUIG Gym, go every two days, but if they bring in universal membership next year I dont know whats gonna happen

The weights section is already way too small, the whole top floor should have been open plan, without the studios, the scholarship gym is almost bigger than the weights section for normal members

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Suzanne30

mobile w wrote: »
    Hey folks. My gym membership has expired and was looking around to see if there is anything in my area that might suit me better and i came across The Gym in rathgar.

Does anyone have any experience with it? how are the facilities? Is it excessively busy?

Its very close to where I live so would be tempting if it was good. Im currently doing de franco's BLABA programme to indicate what sort of equip i would be interested in.
    I joined last week its got everything you need, really nice team and not excessively busy its close to me too so dead handy :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 hillaryclinton

happy.gif

You have probably seen The Total Gym on television or listened to an ad on the radio.
    The infomercial and commercials often star Chuck Norris and Christie Brinkley, whom are both known for having fit bodies and a healthy lifestyle.

But you probably didn't know that Chuck Norris has been using this home gym for over 30 years (yes, 30 years) to help build and keep lean muscle, stay strong and keep his body firm and masculine. I find it hard to believe that Chuck just turned 71 on March 10th 2011

Christie, as you may have imagined does a totally different workout on the Total Gym than Chuck, and Christie has been using the Total Gym for over 10 years to help stay slim, trim and keep her body curvy and feminine.

You have to admit, that both Chuck and Christie look great and look better than most people half their age and yes, they both believe in having a healthy diet is essential.

On this page we will take a look at the Total Gym, the exercises that can be performed on it, what results can be expected and more - so that you can decide whether the Total Gym is right for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭jugger0

shortys94 wrote: »
    Currently a member of NUIG Gym, go every two days, but if they bring in universal membership next year I dont know whats gonna happen

The weights section is already way too small, the whole top floor should have been open plan, without the studios, the scholarship gym is almost bigger than the weights section for normal members

Yeah surprised they haven't sorted that out tbh, useless staff for the most part too... worst thing is the fact that the scholarship gym is empty most of the time and unused.. such a waste.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 rockfist

I joined the one in sandyford just before it opened. Very cheap but it is nothing like what i expected. I thought it wouldn't be the best but for €195 its an absolute bargain. I usually go at around 9am so its never even near full.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 lainey_ie

recently left David Lloyd (wasnt going and was a waste of money) and was thinking of joining carlisle (close to work/home).Have heard a few stories about having to wait for machines and not being the cleanest so having second thoughts...

is this true anyone have any thoughts/experiences

money talks and the membership price is really tempting but not sure if should spend the extra or take a chance on it

havent made up mind yet but would be interested in hearing about it

thanks a mil:)

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭disneyonfire

I've been a member of the Carlisle gym for nearly 5 months and I find it pretty good. Admittedly, I would mostly be there at off peak times but I havnt really found any problems with waiting for machines and I wouldnt have any issues with the cleanliness of the place.

I have a good few friends who go there too and as far as Ive heard none of them have had any problems either. Its not a luxury gym but like you said, its really good value and for what you pay I think its well worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 clairel

I was a member 2 years ago and I am about to rejoin. All in all it was fine when I was a member, it can get very busy in the evenings but I never had problems with waiting for equipment.
    The biggest problem I had with the place was the staff, they were useless! There was never anyone around and when you managed to get someones attention they tended to fob you off.
    But the place was kept clean, the locker rooms were always clean and everyone seemed to follow the hand towel rule. Couldn't complain about the pool or sauna either.
    All in all it suited me as I use the pool and classes mainly and I am not someone that needs a trainer standing over me when I am using the equipment.
    If you are still joining let me know as it's a lot cheaper to join in groups!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭Dotcomdolly

Yeah it really is a skeleton staff, instructor wise.
    They have a load of new classes starting next week which should be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭faolteam

Major Issues, with Locker Thefts, they have removed there bags they gave you for wet clothes,
    They are only using one jacuzzi most days which leave the other one cramped,

I have found the gym equipment filthy, and not working,even when u report it at desk
    Most of them do not work, the Staff are poor they are hard to find and do not want to help you feel like begging and the inside of lockers and toilets are bad,

Cut down on there Passes too

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Rob87

1 more person needed for Carlisle gym triple membership - €185 each

Hi All,

Two of us are looking for one other to renew our memberships at the Carlisle gym. Looking to sign up before the end of the week.

PM me if interested.

Rob

• Registered Users Posts: 7 DOMMM

Def intertested am looking to re join.
    Dommm

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭LOLA08

my membership is nearly up in westwood leopardstown, and i just went onto Ben Dunnes site the time table is good and all the classes are free.
    for €200, compared to westwood €900 a year, what I would like to know is how busy is it in rush hour, from 5.30pm to 7pm those are the times i'd be going.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I did hear people say it was packed around that time you mention, they are not members, just looked in the big windows. It could become less as the year goes on and the new years brigade drop out.

I think it is 360 for a couple to join, not sure how this works, i.e. if it can be just 2 random strangers like you see people asking in other threads. At that price I was even thinking of it for showering facilities cycling to work!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭LOLA08

Like all ex t/f members my current membership is up in march it was this time last year that t/f closed. so i can only imagine that Ben Dunne will get a flood of new members in march, who are in the same boat as me.
    rang up ben in s/f and the chap said they have capped the classes its a 1st come 1st servied. i dont fancy q for a bike or to do a step class waste of time when you could be doing free weight and use that time for good purpose, hard to know after all as you said €200 is really a shower at the end of the

• Registered Users Posts: 7 DOMMM

Hi
    I am looking to renew my membership of the Carlile gym, there is a deal if 3 join together, anybody interested ???

Dommm

• Registered Users Posts: 19 fifi2

Hi there, im just wondering if anyone here is a member of Ben Dunne gym in Sandyford. I am thinking of joining as it is reasonable and close to where i live.
    I would be primarily interested in the fitness classes so i wonder if the evening ones get filled up very fast or are there usually spaces available?
    Any feedback would be much appreciated!!

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭roashter

I've been a member of Ben Dunne Sandyford for past 3 months and find it excellent value.
    It is very clean, and all machines are new and working. Theres a large weights area and unlike other gyms i've been in, most members are putting the weights back in their place. It gets pretty busy between half 5 and 7, but that is to be expected. Staff are friendly enough also.

I haven't done any of the fitness classes, so can't really comment on those, although they look to be fairly well attended.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Steeltoe

Body health and fitness in Sandyford. It's a great gym with better equipment than alot of commercial gyms. €29 per month, with no contract!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

Anyone in the Tallaght towards Kiltipper area should consider the Postal club gym, its pretty empty most of the time, free classes everything you need and its 230 a year I have lived in the area for three years and always avoided it because of the 600 euro price tag on other places, only con for Postal club is the opening times are limited and its smaller.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 fifi2

roashter wrote: »
    I've been a member of Ben Dunne Sandyford for past 3 months and find it excellent value.
    It is very clean, and all machines are new and working. Theres a large weights area and unlike other gyms i've been in, most members are putting the weights back in their place. It gets pretty busy between half 5 and 7, but that is to be expected. Staff are friendly enough also.

I haven't done any of the fitness classes, so can't really comment on those, although they look to be fairly well attended.

Thanks for that. I'm worried that the classes might get full very quickly which was the case in my last gym and you would have to be there a good bit before the class to get a space. I might take a wander up there some evening and suss it out at busy times. Would be interested to hear if anyone else knew about it??
    Thanks again for the advice!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Gav.80

Looking to join Carlyle gym this week, if anyone is ready to join by Friday it is cheaper for 2 and 3 people to join at same time, will be away for a week from sat 21st so hoping to join thurs or fri, pm if interested, Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭millymash12

Looking to join Ben dunne gym off abbey street with my friend soon. Pm me if you want to avail of the special offer with us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭CavanGal

Hey all

Anyone know anything about Figure 8 Leopardstown Shopping Centre? Positive or negative reviews? Are the weight loss programmes any good?

Thanks

Advertisement