Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minister to introduce new online copyright legislation

• 20-12-2011 12:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

The Irish Times sez:
    THE GOVERNMENT is set to tackle illegal downloading of music and films in January by plugging a gap in the Republic’s laws that allows internet users access to sites that “pirate” this material.

Minister of State for Enterprise Seán Sherlock is to publish an order early in the new year that is expected to allow music publishers, film producers and other parties to go to court to prevent internet service providers from allowing their customers access to pirate websites.

Does anyone know how this measure will be implemented on a technical level? I am aware of a similar block in Denmark, but this can be circumvented simply by changing the DNS settings on your PC to OpenDNS or something similar. I'm wondering if the same measure can be adopted in this case, or whether one would need to connect to a VPN or TOR instead. Any information would be appreciated...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

r_mac wrote: »
    The Irish Times sez:

Does anyone know how this measure will be implemented on a technical level? I am aware of a similar block in Denmark, but this can be circumvented simply by changing the DNS settings on your PC to OpenDNS or something similar. I'm wondering if the same measure can be adopted in this case, or whether one would need to connect to a VPN or TOR instead. Any information would be appreciated...

The present block of ThePirateBay by Eircom, is probably using the same method as will apply in other cases. Using a proxy gets around it ......

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭phileeoonskee

Very worrying trend, considering sopa's being passed in a few short hours. It's circumventable, but it still criminalises the everyman.

Very worrying trend, considering sopa's being passed in a few short hours. It's circumventable, but it still criminalises the everyman.

I am not sure about the 'criminal' aspect of it ....... if I access thepiratebay for instance, I do not believe I am doing anything criminal, even though the site is blocked by Eircom.

....... or do you mean they are moving the 'copyright infringement acts' into the criminal sphere?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

SOPA is still being debated and discussed. It looks like nothing is going to happen now until the new year

Blacknight wrote: »
    SOPA is still being debated and discussed. It looks like nothing is going to happen now until the new year

I understood they were bringing it back up again today in some form of special session ....... did not pay very much heed to it to be honest ..... but recall that some thought it would be delayed until new year until this was announced .....

• Advertisement

I understood they were bringing it back up again today in some form of special session ....... did not pay very much heed to it to be honest ..... but recall that some thought it would be delayed until new year until this was announced .....

Last I heard was that this morning's session was cancelled...

Last I heard was that this morning's session was cancelled...

Yes ..... sorry, my info was not current .... was coming back to correct my post ..... it is postponed until Jan apparently ...

Yes ..... sorry, my info was not current .... was coming back to correct my post ..... it is postponed until Jan apparently ...

Don't worry about it :)

Some of us are tracking this very very closely, as it has very big ramifications for our businesses

Don't worry about it :)

Some of us are tracking this very very closely, as it has very big ramifications for our businesses

Speaking of which ...... I read today that GoDaddy have reversed their stance on supporting SOPA ...... it would seem to be as a result of customers moving from their service ......

http://techcrunch.com/2011/12/23/godaddy-no-longer-supports-sopa/

Just checked ...

http://support.godaddy.com/godaddy/go-daddys-position-on-sopa/

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭MrGarak

r_mac wrote: »
    Does anyone know how this measure will be implemented on a technical level? I am aware of a similar block in Denmark, but this can be circumvented simply by changing the DNS settings on your PC to OpenDNS or something similar.
    Is Eircom not doing something similar already with the block of TPB?

I don't know if theres some sort of packet-sniffing going on but I'm on Eircom using OpenDNS and still see the block in place if I attempt to connect to ThePirateBay. Not sure how this is possible since I have OpenDNS servers only in my router config and I have set up the ethernet connection manually on my computer also using their DNS servers, yet a quick traceroute diagnostic to OpenDNS shows this:
    1 10.0.0.1 (10.0.0.1)

2 b-ras2.cld.dublin.eircom.net (159.134.155.4)

3 ge-1-1-8.pe1.cld.cld-dbn.eircom.net (86.43.246.129)

4 tenge-2-1-1.core1.bdt.core.eircom.net (86.43.252.213)

5 tenge-1-2-1.pe1.thn.the-thn.eircom.net (86.43.253.82)

6 ge7-1-0.corea.thn.london.eircom.net (86.43.244.194)

7 gi0-2.rtr1.lon.opendns.com (195.66.225.70)

8 resolver2.opendns.com (208.67.220.220)

A bit off topic from Irish SOPA I realize, but still pretty relevant in the grand scheme of things. Maybe there is simply a problem in my setup.. however I can't see where it could be.

• Advertisement

A bit off topic from Irish SOPA I realize, but still pretty relevant in the grand scheme of things. Maybe there is simply a problem in my setup.. however I can't see where it could be.

Not in your set up ..... TPB is blocked at Eircom ...... regardless of DNS addresses you use.

Well the new SI has been signed ...... now the 'fun' can start .... :(

Advertisement