Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Fantastic hurler, great pace and incredible control on the stick. If there's one enduring image of him it would be sprinting away from an opponent and splitting the posts with ease. Really classy player.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 Mod ✭✭✭✭SeaFields

They are a massive pair of boots to be filled in his absence. A great servant to Cork hurling. Thanks for the memories Ben.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,022 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Cork 2-13 v 2-17 Galway.

Poor first half with Galway clearly suffering from a 3hr drive this morning as they had wide after wide. Second half was much better as Galway played with a much greater intensity. Cork took a while to get going but were leading with a few mins left. A late goal sealed a good win for Galway. Cork will take some positives from the game but a few players were just not up to scratch today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭teednab-el

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Cork 2-13 v 2-17 Galway.

Poor first half with Galway clearly suffering from a 3hr drive this morning as they had wide after wide. Second half was much better as Galway played with a much greater intensity. Cork took a while to get going but were leading with a few mins left. A late goal sealed a good win for Galway. Cork will take some positives from the game but a few players were just not up to scratch today.

Desperate day in Cork, with hurlers and now footballers loosing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,022 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Cork 0-11 v 0-13 Kerry
    A brutal first half display laid the foundations for this loss, only scoring 2pts. Cork came back well in the second half, as Kerry seemed to sit back on their big ht lead.
    Canty had the 2 best goal scoring chances for Cork but it wasn't to be. Noel and Paul had a go at eachother - wouldn't be a Cork/Kerry game without that I suppose.
    Surprised we got to within 2pts in the end.

• Advertisement

Cork 0-11 v 0-13 Kerry
    A brutal first half display laid the foundations for this loss, only scoring 2pts. Cork came back well in the second half, as Kerry seemed to sit back on their big ht lead.
    Canty had the 2 best goal scoring chances for Cork but it wasn't to be. Noel and Paul had a go at eachother - wouldn't be a Cork/Kerry game without that I suppose.
    Surprised we got to within 2pts in the end.

Poor by Cork. Canty had a glorious chance to get 1or2 goals.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭Treble20

Well a disappointing day for both codes in the Park. After 2 good wins for the hurlers they came a cropper today against Galway. While it was a disappointment for the hurlers to lose at the same time it was a dose of reality for them because 1 or 2 pundits were starting to lose the run of themselves claiming Cork were going to be a force this year which in reality is far off the mark. JBM has done good work so far with the team but as he said himself he needs a few years to get the hurlers back to the greatness they once were.

As for the footballers I thought they were flat today and lacking energy and Kerry were the deserving winners in the end. The 1st half performance from Cork was shocking in the 1st half and something the selectors will have to look at. Major work ahead for the footballlers before championship time IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Rebel1977

Cork 2-13 v 2-17 Galway.

Donal Og made a right mess of the first goal don't know what he was trying to achieve. Gardiner looks past it awful again today, Sean Og is not at the races a all Conor Lehane is a breath of fresh air. I was surprised Niall Mac did not get more game time today he only got 2 mins!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,034 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Bad day alright, but they say you learn more from your defeats.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 Mod ✭✭✭✭SeaFields

Treble20 wrote: »
    The 1st half performance from Cork was shocking in the 1st half and something the selectors will have to look at. Major work ahead for the footballlers before championship time IMO.

This is a bloody understatement. The crowd below were getting fairly pissed off with their brutal first half display of short, lateral handpassing going now where. I was pulling out the little hair I have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

• Registered Users Posts: 10,361 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Orizio wrote: »
    Great write-up on both games, though I think ye all are selling Cork short a bit.

If it was anyone other then Canty on the ball for those 2 chances, ye would have won the game. Kerry's first half was great, but we didn't make use of our dominance.

Kerry never really looked like getting a goal against a really strong Full Back line, whereas ye scythed through on 2 or 3 occasions. Still don't think Brosnan is the real deal at CHB, though he got a telling hand on Canty to put him off for the first chance.

Man of the Match lads?
    Though Donaghy was magnificent all around the field. For a guy I had written off, andthought needed a spell on the sidelines, he has transformed himself. Instead of mouthing about bad ball in, and having a go at referees, he's now playing a big part in winning possession, and working back to help the defence.

For Cork. Canty was given the run around by Galvin for a lot of the Game, but when he was on the ball he was brilliant. He should have ended the day with 2-1. Fintan Gould and Paddy Kelly picked up a rake of ball in the Second Half, and Eoin Cotter was solid in Defence.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,764 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Donaghy was nowhere near magnificent. It was a good game from him, but he marked Cadogan in the second half and almost everything good Cork did started with him. There was some good and bad about Donaghy today but he's certainly moving in the right direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,361 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

keane2097 wrote: »
    Donaghy was nowhere near magnificent. It was a good game from him, but he marked Cadogan in the second half and almost everything good Cork did started with him. There was some good and bad about Donaghy today but he's certainly moving in the right direction.
    Were you at the game Keane or did you watch it on Tv?

I watched the game back on TV, and Donaghy didn't show up much at all.

But at the game, the work Donaghy put in was immense. He looked shagged from 13mins in, but kept running and running all day. He was a great link between Defence and Attack. How many times was Donaghy the man back to pick the ball up from a Defender who had run himself into trouble.

He dropped two balls he should have held onto, and gave one terrible pass, which Cork kicked wide towards the end. Other then that I thought he was magnificent. Im no Donaghy fanboy either. I wanted him dropped after the game against Armagh, due to his attitude, his mouthing and his ineffectiveness. He turned all that around yesterday. Was effective, no mouthing (save for a few words and a shoulder in O'Leary's direction) and his attitude was top class.

A lot of it didn't come through on Tv though.

Any Corkonians, sorry for the off topicness, feel free to wade in ;)

Sheehan MOTM.

DDC1990 wrote: »
    Great write-up on both games, though I think ye all are selling Cork short a bit.

Thanks, although I don't think I am selling Cork short as we (a) have been very poor all league and (b) lost at home to a Kerry side barely even trying.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Cork ladies have a 5 from 5 record of wins so far in the league this year - away to Tyrone in the final match, having already qualified for the league semi finals!

Looking forward to the KK game now on TG4 and the footballers are on at 4.30 also.

Beautiful day down the Páirc. Hope they perform today, I tihnk it could be a bit of a cracker.

Cork 1-08 v 1-10 KK

Very enjoyable game of hurling. Cork forwards look lively, especially Lehane who KK cannot handle.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,257 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Cork 1-08 v 1-10 KK

Very enjoyable game of hurling. Cork forwards look lively, especially Lehane who KK cannot handle.

It's an exciting game so far. Cork were unlucky to be 2 points down going into half-time.
    There is some poor shooting from both sides though.

• Advertisement

Cork 1-17 v 1-15 KK

Super win by Cork. Our defence did very well. Our forwards hassled the KK defence and took them on at every opportunity. KK had some poor wides. Power saw red at the end for kk.
    Very enjoyable game of hurling.
    Conor Lehane given MOTM

It's always nice to beat the Cats down the Páirc:D:D

Cork 1-17 v 1-15 KK

Super win by Cork. Our defence did very well. Our forwards hassled the KK defence and took them on at every opportunity. KK had some poor wides. Power saw red at the end for kk.
    Conor Lehane given MOTM

Classic win by Cork, Cork made KK look very ordinary.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,257 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Cork 1-17 v 1-15 KK

Conor Lehane given MOTM

Cork deserved the win, with Lenane having a very fine match. It's good to see Cork getting into some good form.
    KK missed a lot of shots, particularly Richie Hogan. Poorest display of shooting that I've seen from them in a long time.

Mayo 0-13 v Cork 0-14

A simply fantastic result for Cork. Ht they were losing 0-07 v 0-03 I think and had a man sent off on the stroke of ht, things were not looking good. A far more direct and faster gameplan in the second half paved the way for a super win.
    They scored 4pts in the last 10 mins. Mayo had a man sent off on 70 mins but it mattered little at that stage as the rebels were in full control.
    Aidan Walsh scored a fine point off his left, which is not a real surprise as his efforts with his right were brutal.
    Kerrigan, who came on at the start of the second half had a fine game.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭Treble20

Great day for the 2 Cork GAA teams,great comeback by the footballers and a great gutsy display by the hurlers against the cats.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Mayo 0-13 v Cork 0-14

A simply fantastic result for Cork. Ht they were losing 0-07 v 0-03 I think and had a man sent off on the stroke of ht, things were not looking good. A far more direct and faster gameplan in the second half paved the way for a super win.
    They scored 4pts in the last 10 mins. Mayo had a man sent off on 70 mins but it mattered little at that stage as the rebels were in full control.
    Aidan Walsh scored a fine point off his left, which is not a real surprise as his efforts with his right were brutal.
    Kerrigan, who came on at the start of the second half had a fine game.

Yeah fair play to Cork. For the second game running Mayo bottle a lead and having a man extra for a whole half of football. A blind monkey could see that Horan wasnt utililising the free man properly and Cork had a free reign once Dillon got sent off. O'Connor was immense again for ye, gave Higgins torrid time

• Registered Users Posts: 34,034 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Great display b the hurlers and good comeback by footballers.

great stuff!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

brilliant stuff, hard to see games abroad so cant wait to see both displays on youtube during the week! A bit of revenge for recent bad championship defeats!

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    brilliant stuff, hard to see games abroad so cant wait to see both displays on youtube during the week! A bit of revenge for recent bad championship defeats!

I think Cork beat KK in 2010 in the league and lost by a point in 2011.

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement