Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

***Motors Chat Thread*** Round 1

• 30-04-2012 2:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

This is a new thread which has been opened in total agreement by the motor mods.This is a completely new thread and is to be seen in a different light than how the old thread was.

1.This thread is for motoring topics which you feel are not worthy of starting a new thread for, banter from a meet or general motoring related chit chat.

2.No lonely hearts (This is not a personal dig at anyone, it's how we feel is the best way to describe what we want to avoid. )

3.Keep it clean.

4.The Motors charter applies.

this thread has now been replaced

And with that we move onto a new thread found here :)

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

success-kid.jpeg

Fair play!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

This is a new thread which has been opened in total agreement by the motor mods.This is a completely new thread and is to be seen in a different light than how the old thread was.

1.This thread is for motoring topics which you feel are not worthy of starting a new thread for, banter from a meet or general motoring related chit chat.

2.No lonely hearts (This is not a personal dig at anyone, it's how we feel is the best way to describe what we want to avoid. )

3.Keep it clean.

4.The Motors charter applies.

Wahey it lives! Nice one :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

BX 19 wrote: »
    Wahey it lives! Nice one :D

No, it's dead. This is a new thread as above.

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

That Maserati Club meet stopped in Kilkenny over the weekend, there was some savage metal on display including a Gran Turismo S with all the carbon trim. I'll stick up some pics in the HWIST thread later

• Advertisement

No, it's dead. This is a new thread as above.

Well a variant of the OT lives...

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Need to get a new battery for the feckin Polo. The thing is completely dead, not holding a charge at all any more. It barely lasts a day after jumping.

I wouldn't bother if you were getting rid of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Anyone know how to fix a head units cd player, the head unit in my ST made a few strange noise's over the weekend and decided to stop reading CD's then, everything else works fine, do those CD cleaners actually do anything or are they a bit of a gimmick?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

BX 19 wrote: »
    I wouldn't bother if you were getting rid of it.

You're probably right.

• Advertisement

You're probably right.

You'd get a used one for 20 quid or a new cheap one for 40, put a new battery in it. Silly to sell a car with a crap battery.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Veloce

Anybody on here have a 2007 3 Series Coupe? (320i or 320d) I have always wondered what the handling is like on these chassis? Sluggish or tight?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Jimbob 83

Pick one, or anyone else seen any nice ones on other sites ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

No obvious way of opening up the head unit once it's out. It's once metal box all the way around. Although to be honest I never looked at it from a "can I take this apart" kind of angle.

I'll check later for you Draf if you like and let ya know if it seems easy or not. I have the stereo removal keys anyway if you need a lend of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

You're probably right.

Get a Jag, they're the new Octavia in here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Jemmy

Nice to see a chitchat thread :)

I've so many little things to do to the car and I either don't really know what I'm doing or can't find the time :(:o

Squeaky brakes need to be de-squeaked, pads perfect though not quite sure what to do here I'll try have a look at the wknd
    Need to change gear oil after a few track days, can't do this myself need a pump
    Need to do oil change, this I can do once I find the time
    Locate rattle in the back & get rid before I crack up, need two for this because it only rattles when I drive lol

Think that's it for now, until I get into it later & remember something else!

Insurance up this weekend so need to ring around for that too, ugh probably only need a few months insurance seen as I might not be here anyway!

EDIT: Knew I forgot something....rattly heatshield which I haven't decided whether to take off or just fix

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

dar83 wrote: »
    No obvious way of opening up the head unit once it's out. It's once metal box all the way around. Although to be honest I never looked at it from a "can I take this apart" kind of angle.

I'll check later for you Draf if you like and let ya know if it seems easy or not. I have the stereo removal keys anyway if you need a lend of them.

Cheers :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

Jemmy wrote: »

I've so many little things to do to the car and I either don't really know what I'm doing or can't find the time :(:o

No mention of that wash, no? ...No? :rolleyes:

:pac:

dar83 wrote: »
    No mention of that wash, no? ...No? :rolleyes:

:pac:

Smartarse! It got washed & polished, all weather protection treatment! :p
    Then it rained for the next wk :rolleyes:

Confab wrote: »
    Get a Jag, they're the new Octavia in here.

There's already two mods with Jags! That's enough!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Well this has brightened my day right up! :D

Anyone know what causes the "TRANS PROGRAM" message to come up in an E34?

OSI wrote: »
    Have they got grease on the back of the pads? Might just need some to stop them squeaking.

Yea was thinking that's all it will need, have to get at them & have a proper look.
    May head down to the Daddy Garage in Wicklow at the wknd :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭superstoner90

dgt wrote: »
    Well this has brightened my day right up! :D

Anyone know what causes the "TRANS PROGRAM" message to come up in an E34?

Transmission starts to slip (flare), there is a low "boom" from the tranny, and a "bing" from the dash.
    Transmission locks in "limp" mode - 3rd gear so you can "limp" home or to your nearest dealer.
    Message on Dash "TRANS PROGRAM - Consult Owners handbook".
    NOTE: This only happens once the car has warmed up - usually after 15-30 minutes of good driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

I've an overwhelming urge to get a Quattroporte as my next car. They've started dropping into my price range, albeit the DuoSelects which have mixed reviews to put it mildly.

Yet everyone on the Maser forums are saying they are given undeserved stick and you just have to know how to drive them correctly.
    Anyone driven a DuoSelect model? The Automaticas are still a bit out of reach for me (late 07s onwards) at the mo. I'd love another 7 but the Quattroportes are infinitely cooler.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

This may seem totally against the grain but I don't think QP's or Maserati in general are particularly attractive.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

I'm delighted to see this thread is sort of back... Conzy was ahead of me with the meme this time though..:D

I really really like this... Would you land it here for €20k?

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201205446552202/sort/pricedesc/usedcars/body-type/saloon/engine-size-cars/3l_to_3-9l/fuel-type/diesel/transmission/automatic/model/c5/make/citroen/page/1/radius/1501/postcode/sw1a0aa?logcode=p

media?id=2006279341

• Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    This may seem totally against the grain but I don't think QP's or Maserati in general are particularly attractive.

I can understand people not liking the front end too much, but the rest of the car is exquisite. The only thing I don't like about them is the cheap green lit displays in the car, looks like a 1999 Corolla.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Veloce wrote: »
    Anybody on here have a 2007 3 Series Coupe? (320i or 320d) I have always wondered what the handling is like on these chassis? Sluggish or tight?

Can't speak for the e90/e92 but in terms of the e46, it's as tight as a ducks arse. Very stiff chassis. I'd assume BMW didn't completely throw their chassis design manual out the window on the newer model :)
    Squeaky brakes need to be de-squeaked, pads perfect though not quite sure what to do here I'll try have a look at the wknd
    Need to change gear oil after a few track days, can't do this myself need a pump
    Locate rattle in the back & get rid before I crack up, need two for this because it only rattles when I drive lol

EDIT: Knew I forgot something....rattly heatshield which I haven't decided whether to take off or just fix

Jesus, nearly sounds like you just described my car Jem. Rattly heatshield and squeaky brakes, and overdue a service...yup!
    MCMLXXV wrote: »

I'd agree tbh. Possibly one of the ugliest car brands IMO. If I was being a prick about it, I'd say it's a sure sign that money can't buy taste, but I'm not that guy :p

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Insurance up this weekend so need to ring around for that too, ugh probably only need a few months insurance seen as I might not be here anyway!

Snap, gearbox oil,diff oil and spark plugs to be done soon for me.The gearbox oil can be done without a pump, we managed it a few weeks ago on another s2000. My insurance is also due within 3 weeks, didn't think much of the renewal price I was given and I've never bothered to put back on my heatshield as the previous owner removed it. (Good old Honda's)

Also need to get the DA polisher out and put the new spoiler on aswell, may find the time soon. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Ugliest car brands? You been drinking again? Id love a quattroporte its a thinking mans Ferrari :)

In terms of premium cars anyway, obviously I don't mean an automatic polo is prettier than them :pac:

I can't honestly look at any of the maserati range and say that they'd give me the horn for one. Same as a veyron, I can appreciate what it is, but it's ugly as sin imo.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement