Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much is too much pay?

• 01-04-2012 11:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,345 ✭✭✭

I have been at various different points in my life employed poorly paid, unemployed, emplooyed highly paid, over worked and under worked.

At present I am lucky enough to have recovered from illness and back to highly paid with a reasonable amount of work. The recent census figures released had people in a fit over how disposible income increased for the wealthy. Ignoring the fact the figure are actually a few years out of date I see why people were annoyed.

Just wondering how people really feel about people who earn more money them. I personally feel tax should never be over 50% on any part of your income. It just seems to be a disincentive after that.

A friend of mine said any individual on over 70K should be taxed at 70% on the remainder. Having earned good and bad money I can say this would stop me earning more.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Born to Die

£250K a week for kicking a ball around a field is obnoxious.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,459 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Three Fiddy

/thread.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Nobody's business unless it comes from the public purse

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭AngryBollix

So is $27,500,000 a year for hitting a baseball

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭SmilingLurker

What the market is willing to bear.

This comes with the following assumptions:
    * Free and fair market.
    * People spending their own money.
    * Strong limits on pay where it is run by government or controlled markets.

If people hand over their hard earned cash for a service that is being provided, that is their business... however, I do agree that the amount people get paid in some professions is obnoxious. (McDonalds maybe not, but the legal and medical professions as well, moving down the pay scale a bit).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,345 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Well maybe take out the sports people move star types that is a totally different group of people. For example a systems architect can be paid 100K pretty easily, I'm not one but the money is justifiable in my eyes.

Friends of mine have no idea what I do and have no idea what I get paid. One has said a lot about "high earners" and works in a trade. He is always trying to figure out what I make. It kind of funny consider how often he mentions doing cash in hand jobs and doesn't see that as tax evasion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

I think I would be totally satisfied earning 2 grand a week take home for 35 hours a week. I don't think I would want more then that, I earn a lot less and cope and in this lifetime I don't think I will ever earn my dream wage and employment conditions.

But I can wish.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

I think we should just go back to selling cows and daughters to each other like in the good old days:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Paco Rodriguez

If an office worker gets injured at work he can get compensation in the thousands. Footballers put their bodies through pain and risk of injuries every week as part of their job.

If an office worker gets injured at work he can get compensation in the thousands. Footballers put their bodies through pain and risk of injuries every week as part of their job.

Would you go and....I don't begrudge them their wage, they are talented people, but they are doing something they love for a massive remuneration.I really don't think any of them would swap with me for my office job.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Paco Rodriguez

44leto wrote: »
    Would you go and....I don't begrudge them their wage, they are talented people, but they are doing something they love for a massive remuneration.I really don't think any of them would swap with me for my office job.

How many people are affected by work that I, individually or any other ordinary citizen does. Thousands and thousands who love football are affected by what their favourite footballer.
    When my team wins i am happier and my work production increases. It shouldnt really be like that but it is. Footballers can give a happiness benefit to the population.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭MickySticks

€188 p/w for doing nothing is even more obnoxious IMO.

How many people are affected by work that I, individually or any other ordinary citizen does. Thousands and thousands who love football are affected by what their favourite footballer.
    When my team wins i am happier and my work production increases. It shouldnt really be like that but it is. Footballers can give a happiness benefit to the population.

HUH
    Work give me a wage to live on, work has a greater effect on me and all those individuals then football. How many would give up their job to go see a football match.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭forfuxsake

Three Fiddy

/thread.

Is that per day or week and is it gross or net?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

You can never have too much.

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    You can never have too much.

I am of the opinion you can, at least for me. I am a simple fellow, I don't want a yacht, a jet, an original art piece, I don't even want a car over 30,000.

Just enough for security and a healthy bit to save.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

Actually they're getting paid so well for market rights, shirt sales, putting asses in the staduims and trying to win trophies.

I hate this footbballers only kick a ball ****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I am of the opinion you can, at least for me. I am a simple fellow, I don't want a yacht, a jet, an original art piece, I don't even want a car over 30,000.

Just enough for security and a healthy bit to save.

Can I have your yacht so?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

Footballers put their bodies through pain and risk of injuries every week as part of their job.

So do Gardai, paramedics, nurses, bus drivers, prison officers, doormen, and about a thousand other professions. Footballers risk a groin strain or a twisted calf ligament. Other professions risk getting stabbed or shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

All depends on what industry you are in, and if you are disposable or indispensable.

Soccer players create incredible revenue, and their pay reflects this. It may as well go to them, they bring a lot of joy to the lives of some people.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭secretambition

I don't think there is any amount of money that I would consider too much. I was reading about a hedge fund manager that earned nearly 4bn, and tbh as long as he pays his tax, I don't care. I also don't think the tax rate should ever go above 50%. Actually 50% might even be a bit high.

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Can I have your yacht so?

OK but the upkeep is a bastard, berthing fees, maintenance and it ates the juice.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

One Billion Dollars for megalamaniacs is a bit too much
    OK but the upkeep is a bastard, berthing fees, maintenance and it ates the juice.

Haha, quite so old chap, those basterds that mind the yacht when I'm not there for 340 days of the year cost a fortune. Luckily I have started using Child Labour, illegal yes, cheap, yes, yes yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

wyndham wrote: »
    So do Gardai, paramedics, nurses, bus drivers, prison officers, doormen, and about a thousand other professions. Footballers risk a groin strain or a twisted calf ligament. Other professions risk getting stabbed or shot.
    Ah i forgot how all these pofessions are broadcast world wide and have millions upon millions made off there backs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

Arawn wrote: »
    Ah i forgot how all these pofessions are broadcast world wide and have millions upon millions made off there backs

You might be surprised if you read the financial accounts of some of the biggest clubs in the world. How many of them are continually haemoraging money annually and are kept afloat only by rich benefactor/"investors" pouring money into them. Who is making millions praytell?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭I_smell_fear

Just want to make one point. 90% of footballers are not on £100,000 a week.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 994 ✭✭✭carbon nanotube

andy carrols wages are nice for what he does...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Just want to make one point. 90% of footballers are not on £100,000 a week.

Yes, but they are still paid ridicolousy high salaries.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

I think I'm not paid enough for what I do, but I've had enough of having nothing, I won't take just anything! I got my mind set on something, all I want is everything. It's my life Mr., I ain't running, I'm no puppet on a string. I want more than I see coming, all I want is everything, all I want is everything!!!

• Advertisement

Haha, quite so old chap, those basterds that mind the yacht when I'm not there for 340 days of the year cost a fortune. Luckily I have started using Child Labour, illegal yes, cheap, yes, yes yes.

Indeed, indeed and you can't have them flogged anymore except on open seas, the last time I was on it would you believe the champagne wasn't chilled enough, my trophy girlfriend fainted with the shock.

Advertisement