Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Local Politician Does His Bit For The Disabled..

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

While your at it, tell him to learn how to park :D

Thanks for clarifying and welcome to the forun. Hope to see you debating away!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I'll give credit where's its due for Andrew registering on boards and posting, it was a nice simple way of clarifying the matter for everyone reading this thread. :)

Hope to see him give his 2c's on different issues that pop-up in Kilkenny in future that are discussed on this forum...after all isn't that what every politician should do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭TheElf

D_Red_Army wrote: »
    79098.jpg

Did you take this picture D_Red_Army? If you did you've made it into the national press!

http://www.herald.ie/national-news/city-news/campaigner-was-entitled-to-use-disasbled-bay-says-councillor-1732974.html

I'd demand a by line,and payment for the use of your picture. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭ChristIsMurph

Andrew McG wrote: »
    Hi,
    I decided to join Boards.ie so I could respond to this post. I see that there are other local election candidates commenting on the post also.

The van is obviously owned by a supporter of mine who volunteered to carry my election details. He tells me that he used the space to drop his elderly grandmother off.

I have contacted him and told him that he was wrong to use that space and I have advised other volunteers to act responsibly.

Andrew McGuinness

Andrew,

Why did you mention on the Herald that it was the drivers disabled mother (who you and I both know is not disabled at all), then mention here it was his elderly grandmother, whom I also know and is a perfectly capable woman.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

TheElf wrote: »
    Did you take this picture D_Red_Army? If you did you've made it into the national press!

http://www.herald.ie/national-news/city-news/campaigner-was-entitled-to-use-disasbled-bay-says-councillor-1732974.html

I'd demand a by line,and payment for the use of your picture. :p

I never thought it would make it that far!!! Might send the Herald my address so they can post the check.....;)

• Advertisement

Andrew,

Why did you mention on the Herald that it was the drivers disabled mother (who you and I both know is not disabled at all), then mention here it was his elderly grandmother, whom I also know and is a perfectly capable woman.

I took the pic and I clearly saw the driver of the van arrive at the parking spot unaccompanied, there was no elderly grandmother to be seen, and he also left on his own. I would not have been so irresponsible as to post the pic if i had seen an elderly lady get out of the van. The driver was being lazy, simple as that.......

• Registered Users Posts: 10,631 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

haha great find man, these people are like a plague in kilkenny.

Happens all over the country, mate.

I took the pic and I clearly saw the driver of the van arrive at the parking spot unaccompanied, there was no elderly grandmother to be seen, and he also left on his own. I would not have been so irresponsible as to post the pic if i had seen an elderly lady get out of the van. The driver was being lazy, simple as that.......

Because there was no elderly grandmother or disabled mother. Plain and simple. That driver had no right to park in that spot. Andrew has a lot of explaining to do realistically. Is this person still on his campaign team?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

- So nobody was disabled in the van
    - He parked it arse ways
    - "Appears" to have a disabled sign in the front windscreen?
    - Just being plain lazy then?

Am I right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

nope isn a disabled sign in the front windscreen, tis the tax disc and a magazine. Gotta love photoshop and zoom ha ha

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Andrew McG

Sully and Cabaal thanks for the response and I will do my best to keep an eye on the forum and take part in the discussions. I have been reading a few threads here and it seems to be a good way to keep informed.

Christ is Murph, if I am correct you are Darren Murphy, another local election candidate. Firstly, good luck in the election, we will all have a long slog for the next four weeks.

Secondly, I first found out about that van parking in a disabled bay when a friend told me to check this forum. It was here I read that the van owners relative was in a wheelchair. Then the Herald phoned me and and I told them exactly what I read here. After speaking with the owner of the van, whom you also know, he informed me that it was his elderly grandmother that he was taking to the shop. I was not there and I can only go by what I have been told in good faith. Like I said, I asked him to park responsibly in future. I think thats an understandable explanation Darren

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

Sully and Cabaal thanks for the response and I will do my best to keep an eye on the forum and take part in the discussions. I have been reading a few threads here and it seems to be a good way to keep informed.

Christ is Murph, if I am correct you are Darren Murphy, another local election candidate. Firstly, good luck in the election, we will all have a long slog for the next four weeks.

Secondly, I first found out about that van parking in a disabled bay when a friend told me to check this forum. It was here I read that the van owners relative was in a wheelchair. Then the Herald phoned me and and I told them exactly what I read here. After speaking with the owner of the van, whom you also know, he informed me that it was his elderly grandmother that he was taking to the shop. I was not there and I can only go by what I have been told in good faith. Like I said, I asked him to park responsibly in future. I think thats an understandable explanation Darren
    If thats what you were told we'll have to take your word for it, The fact still remains there's no disabled sign in the window(I know what they look like as my grandfather has one) So it would appear to me that your friend is bulling you andrew, which begs the question is that the kind of guy you want campeigning for you??

(Oh by the way the only reason I'm even commenting on this thread is cos I hate when people use disabled spaces when their not since my grandfather is I have no problems with Andrew in real life!)

I agree with you. I hate when people abuse disabled bays so I would be extremely annoyed if a van bearing my name abused a disabled bay. Like I said I can only go on what I have been told as I was not there myself and I have advised anyone with my election stickers on their cars or vans to park responsibly. By the way, I appreciate your concerns and I do take them on board.

Well i suggest you go back to him and ask him again. The person who took the photo stated here that he clearly saw him get out of the van on his own and drive off on his own. I'm not telling you how to run your campaign it's your own thing, but this carry on can not happen. Plus you know the mother of the driver, you know she is not in a wheelchair, so no matter what is said on this forum you should still know yourself the situation.

Andrew I wish you the best of luck yourself, now is not exactly an ideal time for any Fianna Fáil candidate (entirely to blame on the part of your party)

Darren your response to my comments are clearly influenced by the fact that you are a local election candidate in an opposition party. I spoke with the owner of the van and I am satisfied that I have dealt with this matter.

Darren your response to my comments are clearly influenced by the fact that you are a local election candidate in an opposition party. I spoke with the owner of the van and I am satisfied that I have dealt with this matter.

My response is not influenced by that factor. It is influenced by the factor that you couldn't just admit something was wrong. I only got involved on this issue purely because people are talking about the fact that he had a right to park there. There was no elderly woman or disabled mother. You weren't driving the van that's fair enough, but you could have admitted a mistake was made rather than trying to get around it.

Maybe you should read back over my comments. I never tried to get around this issue. If he did abuse this parking space then yes of course he was wrong but like I said, I have spoken to him and advised him to park responsibly in future and I am satisfied that I have dealt with this. I have nothing more to add and I will not be drawn into a political debate on this because I have dealt with it appropriately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭RxQueen

;) how do people think this will effect his votes?

it wont my vote is and always was with dustin.. one day it will happen! betcha he can park better to

ahhh i love this thread! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

Anyone know if this would be a parking offense?

79423.jpg

Back wheel on the footpath, plus parking like that makes it difficult for cars coming off the junction (Michael St onto John St), as the vehicle is protruding onto the street as well.

Also, the reg plates on that vehicle are illegal according to the rules set down by the Revenue Commissioners.

http://www.revenue.ie/en/press/2005/pr_plate.html

Think that's a fine of €1,265...

mick_irl wrote: »
    Anyone know if this would be a parking offense? (see attached photo, no idea how to embed it)

Back wheel on the footpath, plus parking like that makes it difficult for cars coming off the junction (Michael St onto John St), as the vehicle is protruding onto the street as well.

Also, the reg plates on that vehicle are illegal according to the rules set down by the Revenue Commissioners.

FFS! This guy is a joke!! So much for "asking the rest of his volunteers to act responsibly"!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Hey Andrew, I thought you had sorted this problem out with your staff. You posted this already
    Anyone can make a mistake and fair play for coming onto boards to defend your position.

So what's with the second photo? Got a sob story about a disabled person that means you or your volunteers must park on a footpath?
    You talk to your volunteer, post here that the issue is sorted and then get your vehicle parked on a footpath right beside a pedistrian crossing?
    I don't have the technical knowledge to know if your number plates are illegal but they aren't standard, that's for sure

Good man Andrew, do as I say and not as I do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 nameuser

Guys are ye stalking out all vehicles with his face on them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭fabbydabby

Apparently so. Still amusing though.

nameuser wrote: »
    Guys are ye stalking out all vehicles with his face on them?

Nope. I only get home to Kilkenny the odd weekend. Was coming back from my lunch when I spotted that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

This thread is hilarious. Keep 'em coming!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 nameuser

Nope. I only get home to Kilkenny the odd weekend. Was coming back from my lunch when I spotted that.

Ah you couldn't resist getting a photo of him.:p
    Probably easier ways.:D

nameuser wrote: »
    Ah you couldn't resist getting a photo of him.:p
    Probably easier ways.:D

I take lots of photos. Only a selected few make it onto boards.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

I'm getting my new Canon EOS this weekend, so I'll be out and about with my eyes peeled for candidates vans illegally parked!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

Anyone know if this would be a parking offense? (see attached photo, no idea how to embed it)

I felt sympathetic to Andrew when I saw the first photo posted, but this is ridiculous. There's no excuse for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭fabbydabby

tiananmen-square-herocopy.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement