Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows Phone 7 Launch Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

AntiVirus wrote: »
    Sounds like you've got a messed up firmware or OS. Your best bet is to flash on the firmware your self in emrgency mode. Select a firmware of your choice from the list in the link below and flash away. If I was you I'd flash the Open EU firmware.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=935578

Okay cool thanks. That's what I was looking it there.

They basically said to me that the screen and digitizer were clued together and was really hard to get off. So just wondering if they managed to do some damage to it or something. He also mentioned something about moisture damage, but can't see how that happened. And again it was working perfectly before I gave it to them.

I suppose I'll try that now and see what happens.

Thanks for your help AV. Always great about these parts.

Unless I'm missing something the DLL link isn't working. Just wondering do you have that DLL I remember you flashed your phone with the open eu firmware ages ago. Or is the an alternative link?

Quite scared and confused doing this haha. Hope it all goes well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

T-b0n3 wrote: »
    Unless I'm missing something the DLL link isn't working. Just wondering do you have that DLL I remember you flashed your phone with the open eu firmware ages ago. Or is the an alternative link?

I'll have a look tomorrow. I'm pretty sure if I don't have it I'll find it. Its not the easiest thing in the world to do but it does work. I'll refresh my memory in the office tomorrow.

I'll have a look tomorrow. I'm pretty sure if I don't have it I'll find it. Its not the easiest thing in the world to do but it does work. I'll refresh my memory in the office tomorrow

I'll have a look tomorrow. I'm pretty sure if I don't have it I'll find it. Its not the easiest thing in the world to do but it does work. I'll refresh my memory in the office tomorrow

Thanks man, really appreciate it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

chrislad wrote: »
    Anyone have issues syncing the Lumia 800 with Zune? Keeps telling me to disconnect and reconnect the phone. Seems to be a common issue with Windows 7 but can't seem to find a solution.

On this note, I fixed the issue by using a different make of microUSB cable (specifically my Kindle one). Weird as I had tried two different Nokia MicroUSB cables on two different PCs.

Thanks man, really appreciate it.

check your PM's for my link to the file.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Odaise Gaelach

Apparently, allegedly, Tango is coming out in April.

Microsoft have also identified about 5% of apps that won't work on phones with less than 256MB of RAM, and they're getting in touch with developers to let them know. Which is quite cool of them - the more time developers can have to ensure their apps work, the better!

Apparently, allegedly, Tango is coming out in April.

Microsoft have also identified about 5% of apps that won't work on phones with less than 256MB of RAM, and they're getting in touch with developers to let them know. Which is quite cool of them - the more time developers can have to ensure their apps work, the better!

Whats pretty good too is that Microsoft are going to help the developers get their apps to work with the new tango OS. They're confidant that 100% of apps can work with tango too. Good to hear!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

I've had a chance to use the Skype app a bit more, both on wifi and data connections and I've found the call quality excellent with both.

It will be great when it is fully integrated so that you can sign in and leave it running in the background, it's a pain at present that you are only signed in when in the app and you can't multi task. I didn't realise that the first time and tried to answer a text message whilst on a skype call and got dropped.

invest4deepvalue.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

Do-more wrote: »
    I've had a chance to use the Skype app a bit more, both on wifi and data connections and I've found the call quality excellent with both.

It will be great when it is fully integrated so that you can sign in and leave it running in the background, it's a pain at present that you are only signed in when in the app and you can't multi task. I didn't realise that the first time and tried to answer a text message whilst on a skype call and got dropped.

It appears that Skype will not be integrated into the OS, but will be a standalone app, even at the Apollo stage.

gman2k wrote: »
    It appears that Skype will not be integrated into the OS, but will be a standalone app, even at the Apollo stage.

I'm interested to know where you picked this up from? Considering the leak confirmed an app would be released first and integration would be built into Apollo. So far the leak has been correct about this and other previously unknown Apollo details.

I'm interested to know where you picked this up from? Considering the leak confirmed an app would be released first and integration would be built into Apollo. So far the leak has been correct about this and other previously unknown Apollo details.

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/microsoft/windows-phone-8-whats-on-the-feature-list/11802

"A separate but improved Skype application, but not integration of Skype into the operating system"

gman2k wrote: »
    http://www.zdnet.com/blog/microsoft/windows-phone-8-whats-on-the-feature-list/11802

"A separate but improved Skype application, but not integration of Skype into the operating system"

There will be a separate skype app that hooks into the os alright but there is no mention that there will be no integration. This is something that they added to that report themselves, which you'll see if you read the links where they've got the information from.

There's a good reason why they will have a separate Skype app, and that reason is tango. There was always going to be a separate skype app, just like there is for facebook, twitter, etc..

EDIT: Just found the link with "Skype app. Still a separate but better app and not integrated into OS. Still optional."

Here's a clip from CES where Skype say they're working on integration with Microsoft on Windows Phone, xbox and on Lync which we know will all have skype integration.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ldGb11XVG8

• Registered Users Posts: 37 moc63

Hi
    I got myself an nokia 800 over the weekend.This is my first windows phone so i am on a learning curve at the moment.Maybe i am missing something,but is there a tile connection for wifi etc,or do ineed to go to the market place.if so any suggestions to which one.
    regards
    moc63

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭DjFlin

moc63 wrote: »
    Hi
    I got myself an nokia 800 over the weekend.This is my first windows phone so i am on a learning curve at the moment.Maybe i am missing something,but is there a tile connection for wifi etc,or do ineed to go to the market place.if so any suggestions to which one.
    regards
    moc63

You'll need this app from the marketplace:

http://www.windowsphone.com/en-US/apps/430cf007-731f-4357-af7b-b897bff25a2c

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Excellent app, didn't know about that one, thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Trevor451

Its so annoying the way that MS filter the reviews by region. Windows phone 7 has a relatively small user base in Ireland and some of the lesser known apps have no reviews. Is there any way to view the US/UK reviews on your phone without creating a UK/US windows live account?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

Trevor451 wrote: »
    Its so annoying the way that MS filter the reviews by region. Windows phone 7 has a relatively small user base in Ireland and some of the lesser known apps have no reviews. Is there any way to view the US/UK reviews on your phone without creating a UK/US windows live account?

Yeah, search for an app called AppFlow, it helps you find high quality and popular apps, but also lets you set a different region for reviews and the like. The US marketplace has the most reviews, but the UK reviews would be more relevant for Irish users.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

Got a white Lumia 800 yesterday! Initial impressions:
    Phone itself it outstanding.
    OS is lovely, I really like the Mango UI.
    Everything integrates superbly.

Negatives (would like input on this):
    Youtube app is ass compared to the Android equivalent. It's disappointing to see IMDB and Twitter make lovely WP-focused apps, playing to the strengths of the UI, and Youtube rely on a crappy portal to a mobile web version... not good enough.
    Netflix isn't in the marketplace... How do I get this on my phone!?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Got a white Lumia 800 yesterday! Initial impressions:
    Phone itself it outstanding.
    OS is lovely, I really like the Mango UI.
    Everything integrates superbly.

Negatives (would like input on this):
    Youtube app is ass compared to the Android equivalent. It's disappointing to see IMDB and Twitter make lovely WP-focused apps, playing to the strengths of the UI, and Youtube rely on a crappy portal to a mobile web version... not good enough.

Agree to that. Too bad you weren't around for MetroTube. It was the nicest YouTube app I ever used. Nicer than iOS or Android. But they stopped working on it cause of YouTube messing around with API's.

You can still use SuperTube. Its not as nice but it does the job. Even though the way they access YouTube doesn't let me see my subscriptions via data :(

So played around with the Nokia 710 in the shop the other day. Have to say its a great little phone. It doesn't feel cheap and is very nice and grippy. Its comfy to hold and stylish. Though I would have prefered capacitive buttons.

Screen is probably one of the biggest areas I was impressed with. Their clear black LCD filter does a great job. A lot better than SLCS on my titan. You don't get that washed out black colour and it actually comes really close to AMOLED colours. So if ya don't really need a front facing camera its a really good buy I think. Even compared to same range android models.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I have the Netflix app on my phone. Don't have an account though so I don't know if it's any good. Maybe it got removed?

When using IE the back button only seems to allow you to go back one page. Is there any way to have more of the history available to the back button?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

ScumLord wrote: »
    When using IE the back button only seems to allow you to go back one page. Is there any way to have more of the history available to the back button?
    Mine lets me go back more than that, I'm not sure how many pages but a lot anyway. What can happen though is if you go out of IE and then go back it seems to lose the history, and then the back button takes you out of IE again.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭stevenf17

I have the Netflix app on my phone. Don't have an account though so I don't know if it's any good. Maybe it got removed?

Just press the ... in IE and go to recent, brings up all the pages you've been on for the last week or so!

And how the hell did you get netflix on yours? its not out in the UK or Ireland marketplace yet, did it come pre-installed?

The current Netflix app doesn't work outside the US. I've tried to side load the one from US marketplace and it doesn't work. It starts up but doesn't let ya log in.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

stevenf17 wrote: »
    And how the hell did you get netflix on yours? its not out in the UK or Ireland marketplace yet, did it come pre-installed?
    I saw it on the marketplace one day and downloaded it.

The back button just doesn't work right on the phone. Sometimes it works and goes back a few pages sometimes it won't go back even one page.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭DjFlin

The back button just doesn't work right on the phone. Sometimes it works and goes back a few pages sometimes it won't go back even one page.

I have a similar issue. It only happens with touch.boards.ie for me. Hitting back only works until I get to the main boards page, then it doesn't do anything, won't even close IE. Closing the tab seems to solve the problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Trevor451

DjFlin wrote: »
    I have a similar issue. It only happens with touch.boards.ie for me. Hitting back only works until I get to the main boards page, then it doesn't do anything, won't even close IE. Closing the tab seems to solve the problem.

I think that might be a bug with boards.ie touch. I think its caused by the broken ad frame at the bottom of the front page (when you hit back it reloads the broken ad frame)

• Advertisement

I get an error on the back button, if you link to a webpage on IE from Twitter

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement