Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3e NOW on Saorview

• 17-11-2010 4:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Onthe3rdDay

Was turned on at exactly 4 pm.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭tlaavtech

The attachment shows the effect on the bandwidth availible. Needs looking at :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭ShaneOC

On here too - was showing up under RTÉ NL but a rescan now has it on 3e.

HD Test channel back on too.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,452 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

tlaavtech wrote: »
    The attachment shows the effect on the bandwidth availible. Needs looking at :(

It's only a trial service at the moment and subject to change. This from the recent Dept of Comms Saorview content consultation.

The sample mux information from RTÉ indicates the HD Mux will use approx 6.00 Mbps, at the moment it's using almost 7.5 Mbps (wow factor during the trial at a guess) and the others will use approx 2.00 Mbps.

3e was also included.

rates.jpg
    (Courtesy Apogee)

2pquekz.jpg
    (Courtesy tlaavtech)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Yes, I have TV3e, but all the RTE Digital Radio apart from RTE Pulse are gone. Only 13 Channels. However this is a nearly 9 year old laptop. I'll recheck on "proper computer" later!

VBR is very variable "Good" HD can vary from 0.5Mbps to 10Mbps even if average is 6Mbps. A good Stat mux helps :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Pangea

Just seen it myself, a nice suprise ,I thought you had to pay to get this channel everywhere else?
    Nice one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭Blink182rock

so what does this mean then ??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Newtown90

It means its free on dtt!! Well so far its just a trial but how bad:D:D

do we have to tune that in then ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Mayo Exile

watty wrote: »
    Yes, I have TV3e, but all the RTE Digital Radio apart from RTE Pulse are gone. Only 13 Channels. However this is a nearly 9 year old laptop. I'll recheck on "proper computer" later!

VBR is very variable "Good" HD can vary from 0.5Mbps to 10Mbps even if average is 6Mbps. A good Stat mux helps :)

Rescanned. All 17 services there still. Surprised to see 3e so early. How many would desert the pay TV platforms now if you told them ALL the Irish channels were now on DTT, plus a Freesat box would look after your UK channels need.

EDIT: noticed its not autoswitching to the correct aspect ratio. FYI, normally 4:3, is stretched widescreen. Seems to be the opposite of 3e on Sky, where everything goes to 4:3 regardless of content.

How do you scan for the channels ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭pa990

just spotted 3e now.

nice to have it, even though i never watched it before.

roll on mux2

Yep. all there on DVBprog, it's only the free version on laptop, so only shows EPG.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

How do you scan for the channels ?

That depends on what you are using to receive DTT.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

do we have to tune that in then ?

No just appeared.

i have the ould sky box and nothing came up !!

Can this thread be renamed 3e Now on Saorview.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Saorview is received via an Aerial from the various transmitters around the country and has nothing to do with Satellite or Sky.

To receive Saorview you will need a saorview receiver and a UHF aerial.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Sky is satellite. DTT is terrestrial.

• Absolutely delighted with this,It will encourage me and more to watch three [I've not much idea whats on 3e though yet].

Sky's worst nightmares are thankfully being realised with combo boxes and hopefully combo tv's and for many in UK freeview overspill areas that option too, meaning people have a real alternative,a real free alternative with all the important channels without Sky.

Whats lacking coming up to Christmas is a marketing drive now.
    Get to it Saorview people.
    Get to it retailers.

Absolutely delighted with this,It will encourage me and more to watch three [I've not much idea whats on 3e though yet].

???? Why would encorage you to watch more of TV3????

I some how don't think Sky are too worried about 3e going FTA on Saorview.

I expect the new Sky One, Sky Living and Sky Atlantic in Jan to provide a great change (well I hope).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭ISAA

Not a bad start,

RTE1,RTE2,TV3,TNg,News 24, 3e.:D

getting there very slowly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭galtee boy

Elmo wrote: »
    ???? Why would encorage you to watch more of TV3????

I some how don't think Sky are too worried about 3e going FTA on Saorview.

I expect the new Sky One, Sky Living and Sky Atlantic in Jan to provide a great change (well I hope).

I think you're missing Leilani Millions Pimple's point. For the first time, we now have all of Ireland's tv channels freely available on a crystal clear, widescreen etc digital system. We don't have to pay Sky or indeed UPC for a digital version of our own channels anymore and don't forget, however good or bad 3e is, it was a pay tv channel up until 4pm today. As someone else said, it's a small start, but it's a lot better than what we had four weeks ago. Lets all get behind Saorview and give them a chance I say.

galtee boy wrote: »
    I think you're missing Leilani Millions Pimple's point. For the first time, we now have all of Ireland's tv channels freely available on a crystal clear, widescreen etc digital system. We don't have to pay Sky or indeed UPC for a digital version of our own channels anymore and don't forget, however good or bad 3e is, it was a pay tv channel up until 4pm today. As someone else said, it's a small start, but it's a lot better than what we had four weeks ago. Lets all get behind Saorview and give them a chance I say.

Not that I ever suggested that the BAI go out an seek Licence applications for new Irish channels on Saorview. Of course I was suggesting Channel 6 be on DTT way back in 2006. Lets have a new TV company :). After all Pay DTT won't happen until 2013 at the earliest IMO. I amn't knocking Soarview at all, you seem to think I am. I am being critical of the process which has got us to this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭galtee boy

Elmo wrote: »
    Not that I ever suggested that the BAI go out an seek Licence applications for new Irish channels on Saorview. Of course I was suggesting Channel 6 be on DTT way back in 2006. Lets have a new TV company :). After all Pay DTT won't happen until 2013 at the earliest IMO. I amn't knocking Soarview at all, you seem to think I am. I am being critical of the process which has got us to this stage.

Ok, point taken and I agree, we've stuttered and stumbled to this stage, but at last, Saorview is taking shape, dare I tempt fate !

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭lgs 4

galtee boy wrote: »
    i totally agree roll on the HD versions ;)

I just tried the Dual DTT stick on a Compaq-HP "mini" 11" (1366 x768) Atom Netbook that has Nvidia Ion. The "Total Media 3.5" app has all the codecs etc..

"Why are RTE NL putting TV3e in a box on the HD Test loop"? "Oh, it's Picture in Picture"

I didn't think that would work :) All 17 channels fine
    No idea why since TV3e has started that the old Laptop has lost most of the "digital radio" channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭Rick_

TV3 and 3e are showing as 16:9 for me. Any 4:3 content is with black bars as my TV auto switches to add black bars if 4:3 content is showing. The Apprentice on 3e earlier was in full screen 16:9, so it appears they have sorted out their switching, or does it show everything with a 16:9 signal, meaning 4:3 content is streched?

Paddy C wrote: »
    TV3 and 3e are showing as 16:9 for me. Any 4:3 content is with black bars as my TV auto switches to add black bars if 4:3 content is showing. The Apprentice on 3e earlier was in full screen 16:9, so it appears they have sorted out their switching, or does it show everything with a 16:9 signal, meaning 4:3 content is streched?

TV3's in house shows seem to be still in 4:3 but FYI was stretched on 3e.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭gtg60

Crackin' news, where are all the nay-sayers now?

Now you can get all the Irish channels* for free it's actually worth your while looking into getting a cheaper UK Sky sub (assuming you still want to stay with them!)

*Via the Sky platform.

• Advertisement

gtg60 wrote: »
    Crackin' news, where are all the nay-sayers now?

Now you can get all the Irish channels for free it's actually worth your while looking into getting a cheaper UK Sky sub (assuming you still want to stay with them!)

Still missing City Channel and Community TV :D

Advertisement