Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Violin Pegs keep Slipping

• 06-02-2008 6:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭

Hey,

This is my first post on boards, even though ive been reading here for years strangely enough! (Apologies if this is the wrong forum)

Anyway, i recently bought a cheap fiddle because I want to take it up, ive been playing mandolin for a while so I thought id give it a go. In any case my knowledge of fiddle workings is practically zero, but one thing im having problems with is tuning it up because whenever i do the pegs slip right away and won't hold. There are also small tuning adjusters below the bridge but id imagine these are for fine tuning?

Sorry for my ignorance on this subject but hopefully someone could give me some advice? Ive heard if you rub chalk on the pegs it helps, and im going to try that when I get home from work but im a little dubious and dont really want to be disappointed again....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Make sure when you've twisted the peg that you push it hard into the scrolly yoke thing (after 11 years playing, i still don't know the name of it).
    If it's not that, it's possible you need some peg glue. I had a problem with my violin before and the pegs slipping, brought it into the shop and they did some peg glue magic to fix it. That said, I always use the fine tuners if at all possible. It's probably less "pure" than using the pegs (and indeed not every violin even has fine tuners), but after traumatising experiences involving mass string breaking/slipping, the pegs scare me a little.
    The chalk thing is probably just increasing the "grip" of the pegs, could work I guess, if the wood's gone all smooth and slippery.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

Hey thanks for the reply, the pegs are pretty smooth alright even though its brand new, as it stands I cant even get up to within two tones of the proper tuning, maybe ill work more with the fine tuners....

Just wondering as well, is this peg glue specifically for violins or is it just normal glue?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Hm, if you're out by 2 tones I'd say your fine tuners can't help you much. What I tend to do is, if it's seriously out of tune, get it somewhere in the vicinity with the pegs, then do the rest with the fine tuners.

I actually didn't see the glue, it was a case of "help my violin is broken!" "hmm that looks like a case for peg glue *takes violin, gives it back some time later fixed*"
    I'd say it's not normal glue though, you wouldn't want it to dry, just something to help increase the friction.

Yeah good point, thanks again for your advice!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

When I tune my fiddle, I use the pegs and get it right up to the pitch before using the fine tuners to finish off. And when you use the pegs, make sure to push them in as you twist, otherwise it doesn't work

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 muzhix

I teach 5th graders and buy "inexpensive" violins for them to start on.
    There several ways you can keep the peg from slipping'
    1. One fix would be to rub pencil lead on the peg. I have personally used this many times.
    2. dust the peg with baby powder.
    3: the best fix: Heiderseid peg dope or
    W.E. Hill Peg dope http://www.mysticviolin.com/hill-peg-composition/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Shadowdancer

Keep all those little bits of resin you end up with and crush one up into a fine dust. Sprinkle it on the pegs and then tune up. That will hold them in place.

Old fiddlers trick ;)

Thanks for the replies everyone, forgot all about this thread!

Advertisement