Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you change a wheel??

Comments

• mike_ie wrote: »
    Might sounds like a stupid question, but, do you know how to change a wheel on your car?

Yup. I do the whole winter tyres thing. So twice a year I have to change 12 wheels. Not paying someone to do it for me - waste of money - so I just go out twice a year and do my car and the girlfriends cars. Any excuse to get greasey and down a couple of beers while I work.

• Yup. I do the whole winter tyres thing. So twice a year I have to change 12 wheels. Not paying someone to do it for me - waste of money - so I just go out twice a year and do my car and the girlfriends cars. Any excuse to get greasey and down a couple of beers while I work.
    3 cars?? 2 girlfriends!!
    or two six wheeled cars. :pac:

• bnt wrote: »
    You're kidding, right? Rotating tyres reduces uneven wear. So what if you have to buy four at once, if they all last longer overall? If the manufacturer says do it, then do it. If you don't believe me, see Wikipedia, or (even better) read this.
    Only if the ones that are currently on the back are properly balanced, a lot of people skimp on getting the rear wheels balanced.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

I know how to do it but I was never shown how. The first time I needed to change a car tire I just put 2+2 together and got it done.

The problem is alot of people add 2+2 and get 50. Lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭SamAK

I know how to do it but I was never shown how. The first time I needed to change a car tire I just put 2+2 together and got it done.

The problem is alot of people add 2+2 and get 50. Lol.

Or people jack the car up without cracking the nuts first. Car rocks, car falls of jack, possible crushed foot.

Much LOL.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Yes I can.

Any car related queries, I go to one of my uncles for. My car once failed the NCT on the CV Boots, went to my uncle to get it checked out, who promptly told me to take the wheel off my self before he took a look, and then again left me to put the wheel back on.

Was the first time I had ever done it, and thankfully have only to do once since.

Have done the odd repair since and prior, inluding a quick fix when my gear linkage broke, losing half the gears when sitting in traffic, and a broken wiper linkage in lashing rain, was enough on both occasions to get the car home and to my mechanic.

Good to know some of the basics, giving you a better understanding of how thething works.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭veryangryman

I've seen it done and I get the procedure BUT.....

I'm a clumsy guy by nature and my biggest fear is that car could collapse if the Jack slipped or something.

It's the same irrational fear that stopped me learning to drive till I was 23 but I rather leaving risky stuff on my 4 figure machine to the professionals.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,802 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

mike_ie wrote: »
    Think I know it - it heads east out of Mountbellew. 10 miles of nothing, basically...

It'll bring ya to Ballyforan and Dysart from Mountbellow. 10 miles of nothing sums it up alright. Beware of the potholes if you're on that road for what ever reason!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Proud moment for me back in the day. Myself & Mrs Oldyouth were invited to the launch of a car (some Renault, I think) in the Burlington hotel. Loads of free gargle and food etc. Part of the evening was a competition where they had a car in the centre and you had to change the front wheel with the back wheel and tighten both up to the correct torque against the clock.

Mrs Oldyouth was the only lady to give it a go and won the thing. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Jurga78

phasers wrote: »
    yes, it was the first thing my Dad taught me when I started driving.

mine too, I was 17 yo girl and had to change all 4 wheels 3 times for a lesson with Dad :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭we'llallhavetea

be fairly fcuked if i didnt, them potholes, they come outta nowhere... i swear..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Yep sure can, have had to do it a couple of times.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Darraghgt4

It should be included as a task during the driving test to be fair

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Mr Keek

Girlfriend got a puncture, we were in an underground hotel carpark.

She had the hubcaps tied on with cable ties and no way of cutting them, and absolutely no idea of changing the wheel. She of course makes a big deal of everything and whipped out the phone to call her rescue service.

I had a little penknife on my own keys, so I cut the Cable Ties and got to work on changing the wheel for her. By the time she got connected to the breakdown service after being on hold for 10mins, I had the flat off, the new wheel on, the car lowered and was about tighten the lug nuts. Told her to hang up.

...the guy on the phone told her it would be 90mins before a van could come out..,she made them come out!!!

After hanging up the phone she wanted me to put the flat wheel back on the car and let the "professional" do it. I said feck that, tightened the nuts and put everything back under the boot

I wasn't waiting around to see the look and the breakdown guys face, so i went back to the hotel washed my hands and went for a pint. I left her waiting by the car for 90mins. Told her to call me when she got some sense, or after the breakdown guy came, which ever came first... She waited for the breakdown guy!

When she called me, she said the Breakdown service guy came, he just have her the dirtiest look wondered why she didn't ring to cancel the call out, and when she explained she didn't trust me to change it, he gave her a bit of a telling off for wasting his time when he has people in need of actual assistance waiting.

Birds!!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I could on my last car, but the tyres on this one are way bigger and I haven't practised yet
    Also it doesnt come with a spare so I kinda need one of them first

• Registered Users Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Yes I can..but I never get to practice as my car doesn't have a spare wheel! :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,027 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Yep and change the oil and all the other fluids and filters. In my time I've swapped out brake pads, a clutch, rustproofing, a radiator, alarm install, a turbo, even a head gasket. All done in the driveway with good mates, jack, axle stands, the wrong tools and much head scratching, tea/coffee/beer and/or ciggies. Well rounded mechanically minded man, or a petrolhead you may think? Nope. I'm just a full on tightfisted cheapskate bastard and that is the full of it. How much for a service? GTFO ya chancer. :D Luckily I have good mates that are equally tightfisted and more talented than me and willing to dig in(goes for plumbing and electrical work around the houses too). Bleeding brakes can be a right C U Next Tuesday though.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

It should be part of the driving test

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,027 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Mr Keek wrote: »
    Girlfriend got a puncture, we were in an underground hotel carpark.

She had the hubcaps tied on with cable ties and no way of cutting them, and absolutely no idea of changing the wheel. She of course makes a big deal of everything and whipped out the phone to call her rescue service.

I had a little penknife on my own keys, so I cut the Cable Ties and got to work on changing the wheel for her. By the time she got connected to the breakdown service after being on hold for 10mins, I had the flat off, the new wheel on, the car lowered and was about tighten the lug nuts. Told her to hang up.

...the guy on the phone told her it would be 90mins before a van could come out..,she made them come out!!!

After hanging up the phone she wanted me to put the flat wheel back on the car and let the "professional" do it. I said feck that, tightened the nuts and put everything back under the boot

I wasn't waiting around to see the look and the breakdown guys face, so i went back to the hotel washed my hands and went for a pint. I left her waiting by the car for 90mins. Told her to call me when she got some sense, or after the breakdown guy came, which ever came first... She waited for the breakdown guy!

When she called me, she said the Breakdown service guy came, he just have her the dirtiest look wondered why she didn't ring to cancel the call out, and when she explained she didn't trust me to change it, he gave her a bit of a telling off for wasting his time when he has people in need of actual assistance waiting.

Birds!!!
    At that Mr K, I'd have had the Dear Joan letter/We need to talk speech already in play. :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭juniord

i got a puncture on a wet night years ago, got the spare out and the jack but my wheel brace was missing , so i took a lump hammer and a small cold chisel and beat the wheel nuts off , changed the wheel and reversed the process to tighten , cost a set of wheel nuts but got the job done

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭crockholm

Yup,by law here,you have to have studded tyres for the Winter,so every november and april I have to change all the shaggers (btw,back brake discs looking Mighty rusty,have to change them in april).

Don't understand why peeps don't have jump leads with them the whole time either,and for those unsure-think racist: black=negative ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭akura

Yes I can. I had to take the four off last week, put on a different set of four and an hour later take them off and put the original four back on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

7ofBrian wrote: »
    There is NO excuse for not knowing how. If you cant do it... you shouldn't have a licence. Unless there's a physical reason of course.

I know how to do it. Only ever got a flat once in over 30 years of driving. In central London. At rush hour.

Wasn't strong enough to loosen the nuts, and had to call out the AA. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Wasn't strong enough to loosen the nuts, and had to call out the AA. :(
    somefeen wrote: »
    I've done it so many times that unless its been tightened to **** by a pneumatic gun I can usually do it in less than 5 minutes.
    Aineoil wrote: »
    I know how to change a tyre, but honestly I am not strong enough to undo the nuts on the wheel. My tyres are put on in the garage and they use a machine to tighten them.
    Leverage is what's needed here. Carry something like a length of steel pipe that fits over the tool for changing the nuts

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    Leverage is what's needed here. Carry something like a length of steel pipe that fits over the tool for changing the nuts

Good point. Swapped out the wheelbrace in mother and sister's cars for a telescopic breaker bar and socket that fits the wheelnuts. Bar extends to about 3' in length - even my mother can use it with ease.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

I'm....... reasonably adept at it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

I can indeed change a wheel

along with all this

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Yep, I can, you just reminded me OP that I need to get a longer wheel brace, last time I did it with the one supplied with the car, which is dinky, I nearly killed myself and got soaked, the longer ones apparently make it much easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Yeah I can, it's important to have a good jack as well, the ones that come with the car do be very poor quality I think.
    I gave €30 for one but it was worth it.

It's a good thing to know how to jump start a car as well, the battery in my car was flat one morning before the xmas and I asked my neighbour to help me jump it.

"Throw on the jump leads" I said to him assuming he knew how to do it but he went to put a minus with a plus, that wouldn't have ended well.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,127 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

If you think you are not strong enough to undo the nuts then put the wrench on the nut and stand on it with all your weight.

Pushing your weight down on it this way is easier to loosen it than pulling upwards.

The hardest part of changing a wheel is preventing yourself getting covered in dirt :)

Advertisement