Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert '11/'12 Off-Topic 2

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

Left early too :/ nobody in and even though there were a few teachers wasted time complaining bout it :( goin to library in town much better than that tbh :o

I only went to one class I came in for that , and we only did exam papers. I didn't go to geography again as nobody would be going plus the teacher is only on regional . I had a free class before lunch then after another free as my English class on friday on had 4 people and my teacher said shes doing the same on Tuesday and not to bother going to the class. I don't mind going in for English people may think it's odd only going in for the one class but they're in the afternoon anyway. I had maths but I wasn't bothered waiting an hour just for maths.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Canard

Spent the day pissing myself at that post by kitty9 that Cian linked and the context omg, every time someone mentioned the elections it came to mind.

The change of tone was just hilarious in my head.
    "poor carla bruni :("
    and the next carriage on that sympathetic train of thought was
    "id smash her back doors in"

:L :L :L

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

Hmm, my boyfriend will be finished college in about 2 weeks, and I'm stiiiill in school. So glad it's nearly over, so sick of being an adult at the weekend and being treated like a child during the week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

Patchy~ wrote: »
    Spent the day pissing myself at that post by kitty9 that Cian linked and the context omg, every time someone mentioned the elections it came to mind.

The change of tone was just hilarious in my head.
    "poor carla bruni :("
    and the next carriage on that sympathetic train of thought was
    "id smash her back doors in"

:L :L :L

Sliiight contrast there! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭UnholyGregor

Anybody else gotten really complacent lately? I've sort of just realised that my mocks points are more than enough for my 1st choice on the CAO, and now I just can't be arsed working...
    It's scary though, the thoughts of falling at the final hurdle and all that... but I literally have 50 points of buffer room between my mocks and my 1st choice..... I mean, it's relieving and all , but still, im terrified that il actually do worse than my mocks, but at the same time, my good mocks results are making it really hard for me to put in any work nowdays...
    I have a feeling that 20 years from now, future Greg will be saying , ''jesus christ, it was only 3 weeks of studying...'' But still..... just... the effort lol :(

• Advertisement

Anybody else gotten really complacent lately?

I always have complacency issues. :cool: That 'be grand!' attitude will be the death of me! I'm worried mostly about maths because I did a lot better than I expected in the mocks, but I still can't rule out a fail. Then there's English, I still have to come to terms with the fact that I need to work my ass off to get a B in it. (Last year's B1 isn't helping with that.) :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

Anybody else gotten really complacent lately? I've sort of just realised that my mocks points are more than enough for my 1st choice on the CAO, and now I just can't be arsed working...
    It's scary though, the thoughts of falling at the final hurdle and all that... but I literally have 50 points of buffer room between my mocks and my 1st choice..... I mean, it's relieving and all , but still, im terrified that il actually do worse than my mocks, but at the same time, my good mocks results are making it really hard for me to put in any work nowdays...
    I have a feeling that 20 years from now, future Greg will be saying , ''jesus christ, it was only 3 weeks of studying...'' But still..... just... the effort lol :(
    EXACT SAME. I got 60 points over what I need for my Course in the Mocks (somehow got 510) and lately I can feel myself slipping back slowly. I just keep doing papers at this stage. Going to go off now and do 2 more French essays. Learn some Market Structures for Economics and so exam questions and do some Hamlet. I might try and learn about his character and the Importance of Soliloquy's before I finish up tonight! excitement is palpable.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Manic2

Ok so I have a few questions relating to study! :D

1. I'm working from exam papers, and say for example business or biology, should I go over a section, and then do past questions relating to that section, or should I just do full papers which dips into many sections?

2. Also, in subjects like english and geography, should I do essay plans rather than full essays? Also is it better to type them, write them, or just recite them?

Thanks bitches :P

Regarding short stories, do you need to have a detailed plot? I generally just do descriptive stories with a short, slight plot. I got a B1 in a story a while ago and let my friend use it when she got the same title but she got a B3 for it because the plot isnt exactly huge, but its a short story ffs :confused:

I've always wondered whether I should've gone down the short story route... I've only done one in the last three years but I think it was the highest mark I've ever gotten in an essay (bar the actual Leaving). And my teacher said I was suited to them. It took me sooooo long to plan though, I can't write a story in a week nevermind an hour. :(

Ah well, too late now anyway! :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

Regarding short stories, do you need to have a detailed plot? I generally just do descriptive stories with a short, slight plot. I got a B1 in a story a while ago and let my friend use it when she got the same title but she got a B3 for it because the plot isnt exactly huge, but its a short story ffs :confused:

Sounds right no? A short plot with 1 key event, well presented and well written.

Re: people leaving school to study, I'm much better off in school no matter why I'd tell myself, and on top of that attendance is as high as ever in my school.

I will never hear the name Carla Bruno the same way ever again:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Fergus_

I get more work done in school as it's impossible for me to study at home with the distractions.

What's everyone learning style? it's kind of helpful and interesting.
    http://www.squidoo.com/what-s-your-learning-style

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭FaoiSin

I'm honestly not seeing any reason to stay in school for the next few weeks either. I could probably do with a bit of help in Probability but in every other subject it's just a matter of buckling down and putting in the work. Except Project Maths... **** Project Maths

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Fergus_

What's everyone learning style? it's kind of helpful and interesting.
    http://www.squidoo.com/what-s-your-learning-style

Linguistic 58%
    Logical-Mathematical 56%
    Visual-Spatial 50%
    Intrapersonal 63%
    Interpersonal 56%
    Musical 25%
    Bodily-Kinesthetic 33%
    Naturalistic 17%

Eathrin wrote: »
    Sounds right no? A short plot with 1 key event, well presented and well written.
    Thats what I do - the story in question was a 'modern love story', in short the guy's ex-girlfriend who moved away for work moves back, they meet up, she admits she pretty much came back because of him and I put in subtle things like how he realizes she went to see him before she even went to see her family, then they end up getting back together. Most of the story was emotions and subtly describing how he still loved her without actually saying it. I was really proud of it. ;_;
    Togepi wrote: »
    I've always wondered whether I should've gone down the short story route... I've only done one in the last three years but I think it was the highest mark I've ever gotten in an essay (bar the actual Leaving). And my teacher said I was suited to them. It took me sooooo long to plan though, I can't write a story in a week nevermind an hour. :(

Ah well, too late now anyway! :P
    Never too late to start! It's sooooooo easy I think, often I just put in random descriptions to take up space/show off vocab, but without going off the purpose, e.g. "I stared longingly through the door but all I could see was the wall. It was a repulsive shade of green, as if someone had painted it with the contents of a swamp". Not too impressive I know but that was back in the day (:cool:), though it was my first A1 story :P

My learning style is 67% linguistic, no surprise there :L Barely any kinesthetic or visual-spatial, a little odd I thought. 75% intrapersonal too, definitely me :D

Only 31% logical/mathematical :o

I'm an intrapersonal learner. <3

Linguistic 67% @Patchy OMG SNAP!! :P
    Logical-Mathematical 50%
    Visual-Spatial 50%
    Intrapersonal 88%
    Interpersonal 50%
    Musical 75%
    Bodily-Kinesthetic 50%
    Naturalistic 17%

Careers suggested for me are in teaching and psychology - the two things I've been considering lately but probably won't do. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Siobhnk

Is that just for biology or for everything?! :eek:

Just biology! I'm getting worried now because I was really hoping for an A in th subject, but last years paper was just plain weird, and I'm expecting the same this year :/

69% Mathematical, 69% Interpersonal.
    Yup that's me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

This is mine:

Linguistic- 58%
    Logical-Mathematical- 13%
    Visual/Spacial- 0%
    Intrapersonal- 50%
    Interpersonal- 38%
    Musical- 38%
    Bodily- 13%
    Naturalistic- 25%

How do you find out about jobs that would suit you?

• Advertisement

I'm Intrapersonal too totally me . No wonder I learn better by myself.

Linguistic 33%
    Logical-Mathematical 50%
    Visual-Spatial 58%
    Intrapersonal 88%
    Interpersonal 38%
    Musical 25%
    Bodily-Kinesthetic 25%
    Naturalistic 33%

Googled some more learning quizes there... Skipped the first one because the it claimed to be 'extreamly accurate'. :rolleyes: And the URL made me think it wouldn't be great anyway. :P The second one was weird, but it said I'm an auditory learner. Kind of makes sense, and it's fairly useful seeing as you're usually expected to learn by listening. :P In the third quiz I got 8 in visual learning and 7 in auditory. Hmm. :cool: Think I'll leave it at that. :P

I envy all of you intrapersonal learners!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭leavingcert.

Guys, how long should an english poetry essay be in general, I have average writing- is 4 poems enough as well?

Logical-Mathematical 81%
    Visual-Spatial 75%
    Intrapersonal 69%
    Interpersonal 63%
    Linguistic 58%
    Bodily-Kinesthetic 42%
    Naturalistic 33%
    Musical 31%

Meh

I don't know if I'm really visual-spatial, I hate those spider diagrams etc. I'd say I'd be more linguistic. Logical seems about right though, if something doesn't make sense I'll forget it right away :L

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Superbus

Linguistic - 75%
    Logical-Mathematical - 38%
    Visual-Spatial - 17%
    Intrapersonal - 56%
    Interpersonal - 81%
    Musical - 50%
    Bodiliy-Kinesthetic - 17%
    Naturalistic - 8%

Accurate enough, but unfortunately, pretty meaningless.

@finality I love how you ordered them in such a logical manner! :P

Eathrin wrote: »
    I envy all of you intrapersonal learners!:D

Lol why do you envy the intrapersonal learners?

http://www.learning-styles-online.com/overview/

It has a lot of information about all the styles :).

• Advertisement

Togepi wrote: »
    @finality I love how you ordered them in such a logical manner! :P

It's how they belong.

:L

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement