Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fassbender = Cuchulainn

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,825 ✭✭✭Patser

Have always wanted to see a Cuchulainn based film (or Brian Boru), hopefully based on the Morgan Llewyllyn books, but it's funny to see it's being financed by Finn McCool:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

I always thought that if the Cuchulann story would make a good movie(s). Fassbender's involvement could only help it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Skinfull

Finally a movie where he wont have to change his accent!

This could be really good. I'd love to see an adaptation of the Cuchulainn story, as long as it is done right and not cheesy.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭spankmaster2000

I wonder will they make an "Irish Braveheart", or will it be a full-blown off the wall fantasy film?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Skinfull wrote: »
    Finally a movie where he wont have to change his accent!

This could be really good. I'd love to see an adaptation of the Cuchulainn story, as long as it is done right and not cheesy.

Well, given he's a Kerry lad and this is the Ulster Cycle, I'm pretty sure he'll have to!

It'll certainly be interesting to see the Ulster Cycle turned into a blockbuster, we all grew up with these stories and have a soft spot for them. I only passed Rathcroghan on Saturday, the stories still resonate but it'll be about translating them so that international audiences understand them with having to rip the heart of them out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭CdeP

I wonder will they make an "Irish Braveheart", or will it be a full-blown off the wall fantasy film?

Is wonder is this the film the Variety article is referring too. If so, I get the feeling the film will be more like 300 than Braveheart.

I can't imagine Fassbender would attach himself to anything other than quality so hopefully the film will do justice to our wonderful mythology.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

300pubc.jpg
    This could be epic. What is the cattle raid of Cooley only an Irish equivalent of the battle of Thermopylae?

Syferus wrote:
    Well, given he's a Kerry lad and this is the Ulster Cycle, I'm pretty sure he'll have to!

I'm not sure that will matter. Generic irish accent will win out. Wont matter on the larger international scale.

CdeP wrote: »
    I can't imagine Fassbender would attach himself to anything other than quality so hopefully the film will do justice to our wonderful mythology.

You must have missed Haywire. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

With that cast and that director, he, like I, could not have seen how rubbish it would being!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

So long as we get to see Cuchulainn kick seven shades of shyte out of everything! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

Wow, I'm really excited about this. A quality actor with a quality story. I hope it turns out well. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

He'd be a bit old for the part surely.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,319 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Wasnt Mark Mahon trying to get Leonardo di Caprio to play hero Cuchulainn orBrian Boru in a film at some stage?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118050444.html?cmpid=RSS|News|LatestNews

Cuchulainn / Ulster Cycle film on the way apparently.

Good news, or bad?

(I'm excited for it anyway!)
    Variety article says Fassbender is from Northern Ireland ?

He'd be too old to play a teenage Cuculainn surely? Agreed though, a 300-sort've adaption would be the way to do it reckon.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,609 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

His mother is from NI but he was raised in Kerry.

Surely they'd get a kid to play the Setanta parts?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

Vokes wrote: »
    Agreed though, a 300-sort've adaption would be the way to do it reckon.

That would be the way to go. Although the slaying for Culainns Hound would be almost identical to when the young Leonidus slayed the wolf while becoming a man in 300.

A ridiculously monstrous Brown Bull of Cooley would look cool. I think Guinness had a marketing campaign a few years back for the GAA Championship with Cuchalainn facing the Bull armed only with his Hurley.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,073 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I'd rather not have another lousy 300 clone like Immortals. Real locations with proper practical FX work thank you very much. They should be aiming for something somewhere between LOTR and Conan the Barbarian with less of the respective melodrama and silliness.

Even better than that would be a film thats unique in its own right and plays to the strengths of the source!

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Wasnt Mark Mahon trying to get Leonardo di Caprio to play hero Cuchulainn orBrian Boru in a film at some stage?

That was never going to be anything other than wishful thinking on his part. Strength and Honour was not a successful film and was savaged by critics bother here and in the US. Last I heard he was trying to raise 20 million to do a sequel set in L.A. called Strength and Honour L.A.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,073 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

That was never going to be anything other than wishful thinking on his part. Strength and Honour was not a successful film and was savaged by critics bother here and in the US. Last I heard he was trying to raise 20 million to do a sequel set in L.A. called Strength and Honour L.A.

According to IMDB its in pre-production and will be coming out sometime this year. Although I'm not sure how reliable that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

I'm not sure that will matter. Generic irish accent will win out. Wont matter on the larger international scale.

Must have missed Jonah Hex as well, although I have a soft spot for that film thanks to the performances of Brolin and Fassbender.

• Advertisement

Mickeroo wrote: »
    According to IMDB its in pre-production and will be coming out sometime this year. Although I'm not sure how reliable that is.

Ignore imdb and thier listings for upcoming films. They also say that the budget is 20 million and while he was suposed to be looking for that amount I doubt he'll get anything near that. No ones going to give that much for the sequel to a film that made less than half a million worldwide during it's theatrical life. Don't get me wrong I do hope he raises the money he needs to make his film, I know how hard it can be to get backers but if the filmis made it'll be on a much more modest budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

I'd rather not have another lousy 300 clone like Immortals. Real locations with proper practical FX work thank you very much. They should be aiming for something somewhere between LOTR and Conan the Barbarian with less of the respective melodrama and silliness.

Even better than that would be a film thats unique in its own right and plays to the strengths of the source!
    Sure, we should stick strictly to realism in a story about a guy who took on an army by himself (before the invention of the sniper rifle), has a hulk-life ability to go berserk/invincible and required a spell and a magical spear to kill. And we should certainly avoid melodrama like him being forced to kill his childhood friend, or silliness like him wounding a guy after he died.

mikhail wrote: »
    Sure, we should stick strictly to realism in a story about a guy who took on an army by himself (before the invention of the sniper rifle), has a hulk-life ability to go berserk/invincible and required a spell and a magical spear to kill. And we should certainly avoid melodrama like him being forced to kill his childhood friend, or silliness like him wounding a guy after he died.

What you talking about willis? Realism? I mention LOTR and CONAN THE BARBARIAN (I'd actually throw a sprinkling of highlander in there too) and you think I want realism? You could easily have him kill his brother and tone down the melodrama in comparison to LOTR levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭chprt

Thinked he nailed the accent in hunger so nordie accents wont be too tough for him.

paddy

www.onlinemathsgrinds.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

It would be utterly ridiculous and a fast way to tell the lack of quality in the adaptation if Fassbender (who flawlessly played Bobby Sands) starts spouting a Kerry accent in the trailer. It's called the Ulster Cycle for a reason.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 34,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I doubt very much Cuchulainn had a modern-day Belfast brogue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

What you talking about willis? Realism? I mention LOTR and CONAN THE BARBARIAN (I'd actually throw a sprinkling of highlander in there too) and you think I want realism? You could easily have him kill his brother and tone down the melodrama in comparison to LOTR levels.

The myth and fantasy around Cuchalainn surely surpaces the likes of Conan and highlander. The guy became a physical monster in battle...

"The first warp-spasm seized Cúchulainn, and made him into a monstrous thing, hideous and shapeless, unheard of. His shanks and his joints, every knuckle and angle and organ from head to foot, shook like a tree in the flood or a reed in the stream. His body made a furious twist inside his skin, so that his feet and shins switched to the rear and his heels and calves switched to the front... On his head the temple-sinews stretched to the nape of his neck, each mighty, immense, measureless knob as big as the head of a month-old child... he sucked one eye so deep into his head that a wild crane couldn't probe it onto his cheek out of the depths of his skull; the other eye fell out along his cheek. His mouth weirdly distorted: his cheek peeled back from his jaws until the gullet appeared, his lungs and his liver flapped in his mouth and throat, his lower jaw struck the upper a lion-killing blow, and fiery flakes large as a ram's fleece reached his mouth from his throat... The hair of his head twisted like the tange of a red thornbush stuck in a gap; if a royal apple tree with all its kingly fruit were shaken above him, scarce an apple would reach the ground but each would be spiked on a bristle of his hair as it stood up on his scalp with rage."

I'd say Cuchullain would have made Conan the Barbarian his bítch with that kind of power. I think the makers have two roads to take: Protray him as a somewhat realsitic invincible warrior like Achilles or Conan, or go completely off the wall fantasy film with mythilogicol creatures and morphing warriors.

I think he also killed his son by mistake, can't get more melodramatic that that.

Syferus wrote: »
    It would be utterly ridiculous and a fast way to tell the lack of quality in the adaptation if Fassbender (who flawlessly played Bobby Sands) starts spouting a Kerry accent in the trailer. It's called the Ulster Cycle for a reason.

Yeah his bobby sands was good but in movies where he has had to portray an english or american accent he always ends up slipping in and out and it gets annoying, point in case his Magneto! But if he is playing a nordie accent, which by all accounts here is half his birthright, then it will be more relaxed and natural for him and we might not get any slippage.

But what I meant was that they wont expect a specific dialect, especially harsh nordie, which can be near indecipherable, and will go for a softer, irish brogue with nordy hints.

Wow... thats a lot of bull crap about which accent he will play. i for one am very excited and hope for less 300 but not quite LOTR. There has gotta be a happy medium!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

The Brian Boru movie was supposed to be happening 6years ago. Heard Mel Gibson wants to do a big Viking movie, not sure if it will be shot in Ireland. Another king arthur scale movie would be great for the industry here, pity that was ****e, training day was such a great movie(same director), think the director wasnt allowed make the movie he wanted to.

• Advertisement

The Brian Boru movie was supposed to be happening 6years ago. Heard Mel Gibson wants to do a big Viking movie, not sure if it will be shot in Ireland. Another king arthur scale movie would be great for the industry here, pity that was ****e, training day was such a great movie(same director), think the director wasnt allowed make the movie he wanted to.

King Arthur was remake of Tears of the Sun which was also by the same director. And both of them are pretty much Seven Samurai remakes.

Advertisement