Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

electric sheep shears

• 25-05-2011 8:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

thinking of buying a decent set of electric shears, something that would shear approx. 500 head a year. anyone any ideas what model to go for and wheres would you go to get a set, im around south donegal here...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

FORD 4000 wrote: »
    thinking of buying a decent set of electric shears, something that would shear approx. 500 head a year. anyone any ideas what model to go for and wheres would you go to get a set, im around south donegal here...

Lister is the tried and tested model for the last 50 years. Personally I wouldn't use anything else. There are a few on donedeal second hand. New ones are very expensive. The hand piece alone can be in excess of 200 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 FORD 4000

how much would the entire lister kit cost new do you know? id be prepared to buy a new set as hopefully they will do me my lifetime at sheep, any i need to look out for before buying a secound hand set?

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭knotknowbody

how much would the entire lister kit cost new do you know? id be prepared to buy a new set as hopefully they will do me my lifetime at sheep, any i need to look out for before buying a secound hand set?

Don't know about price for new kit, but if buying second hand make sure there is not too much wear and tear on the internal parts of the hand-piece the rest of it is pretty straight forward to repair.

Do you shear, I would recommend trying it before you buy a machine, for me it looked easier than it is until I tried it, luckily we had the machine so i could practice for free until I perfected it.

i never sheared with the electric shears before but myself and the uncle have been shearing over 500 head a year since i statred farming, it just that hes not fit to shear much anymore so i thiught the electric would speed it up a bit.. there much difference in the hand and electric??

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭knotknowbody

I never managed to shear one by hand but have done hundreds a year for about 15 years with electric, once your used to holding her from doing her by hand you should find it easy enough to switch to electric.

Do you know anybody to show you how to set-up the hand-piece, if you don't set the comb and cutter central you will nick them more, its common-sense really but a bit fiddly the first time or two.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭foundation10

i never sheared with the electric shears before but myself and the uncle have been shearing over 500 head a year since i statred farming, it just that hes not fit to shear much anymore so i thiught the electric would speed it up a bit.. there much difference in the hand and electric??

Electric will be much easier you will find it difficult at first to get used of the handpiece etc but stick with it especially on the half bred ewes such as suffolks which have dense wool

I have also used a lister.

i will, it gota be better than by hand.... what wattage does it take to run them as iv a small 1000 wat gennie, that will hardly run it????

Advertisement