Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

French Charm? - French Bulldogs

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

OP, I would agree with the other posters that your dog is not a French Bulldog or at least not a purebred one. Black and white is not listed as an acceptable colour in the breed standard of any country I've looked at- the AKC standard dictates this colour as a disqualification. Therefore there's no way this dog was going to be used for breeding. I'm not having a go, but I do not understand why anyone would spend 650 euro on a dog when they don't even know what colour it's supposed to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 SaleAgreed

Magenta wrote: »
    OP, I would agree with the other posters that your dog is not a French Bulldog or at least not a purebred one. Black and white is not listed as an acceptable colour in the breed standard of any country I've looked at- the AKC standard dictates this colour as a disqualification. Therefore there's no way this dog was going to be used for breeding. I'm not having a go, but I do not understand why anyone would spend 650 euro on a dog when they don't even know what colour it's supposed to be.[/Quote

Magenta, pied is a very common colour in French Bulldogs, they are disqualified from showing in the US but not here or UK. They are heavily bred from as it is a desired colour for show and pet homes alike. It is the formation of the coat here that is the giveaway, normally you will see pied as black or brindle patches on the back as opposed to an even blanket, along with the lack of nose ropes and obviously the ears in this case.

SaleAgreed wrote: »

Magenta, pied is a very common colour in French Bulldogs, they are disqualified from showing in the US but not here or UK. They are heavily bred from as it is a desired colour for show and pet homes alike. It is the formation of the coat here that is the giveaway, normally you will see pied as black or brindle patches on the back as opposed to an even blanket, along with the lack of nose ropes and obviously the ears in this case.

Sorry, but if you read the UK breed standard, it says "PIED: white predominates over brindle. Whites are classified with pieds for show purposes; but
    their eyelashes and eye rims should be black. In pieds the white should be clear with definite
    brindle patches and no ticking or black spots." The OP's dog is not Pied, he is not predominantly white and has no brindle, it is black and white, not white with brindle patches- it specifically says "no black spots" let alone the dog being mostly black. The dog visibly does not meet the breed standard. If he is a pied, he's a very mismarked one (though his markings are still lovely!). Hence why I don't buy the breeder saying that he intended to breed from him.

Magenta wrote: »

Sorry, but if you read the UK breed standard, it says "PIED: white predominates over brindle. Whites are classified with pieds for show purposes; but
    their eyelashes and eye rims should be black. In pieds the white should be clear with definite
    brindle patches and no ticking or black spots." The OP's dog is not Pied, he is not predominantly white and has no brindle, it is black and white, not white with brindle patches- it specifically says "no black spots" let alone the dog being mostly black. The dog visibly does not meet the breed standard. If he is a pied, he's a very mismarked one (though his markings are still lovely!). Hence why I don't buy the breeder saying that he intended to breed from him.

I never said he was pied, I said that the blanket of black/brindle on the back was the giveaway

I never said he was pied, I said that the blanket of black/brindle on the back was the giveaway

I said " Black and white is not listed as an acceptable colour in the breed standard of any country I've looked at- the AKC standard dictates this colour as a disqualification" and you replied "pied is a very common colour in French Bulldogs, they are disqualified from showing in the US but not here or UK". I didn't bring up Pied dogs, you did. It was completely irrelevant to me talking about regular black and white dogs like the OP's unless you decided the OP's dog was pied and were trying to defend it accordingly.

• Advertisement

You're right, totally irrelevant

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭crazyFeet

ok, after getting a few replies from other dog owners (thank you all) we and Coop decided to go for Allianz!
    now we need just one advice, what to put down as excess?
    excess insurance cost per month
    75e - 22e
    100e - 19,5e
    300e - 16.5e

http://www.allianz.ie/Blog/Pet-Health-Insurance.1184.shortcut.html

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Seb_bixby

The excess is what you pay out of a claim if you have to make one as far as I know. So it really just depends how much you can afford to pay out of a claim. That's why the premium goes down as the excess goes up.

Oh and Cooper is even more lovely in real life than in the pics and videos!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

crazyFeet wrote: »
    ok, after getting a few replies from other dog owners (thank you all) we and Coop decided to go for Allianz!
    now we need just one advice, what to put down as excess?
    excess insurance cost per month
    75e - 22e
    100e - 19,5e
    300e - 16.5e

http://www.allianz.ie/Blog/Pet-Health-Insurance.1184.shortcut.html

Do Allianz offer excess of €75 per claim? I thought it was €100?

Millem wrote: »

they do yes, 75 - 300, was checking it today!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

crazyFeet wrote: »
    Millem wrote: »

they do yes, 75 - 300, was checking it today!

Ok cool, I knew it used to be €75 in 2010 but they had since increased it to €100. I would go for the lower excess for sure
    As long as it covers €4000 worth of fees.

A little update couple weeks as we got Cooper. He is 6kg now and 3.75 months, no problems so far, he is quite a clever little lad with an interesting character :) He seems to be developing and looking quite as a proper frenchie, however i wouldn't know the specifics of the rules they are usually being jundged by
    P1050023.jpg
    P1050042.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Oh, he's beautiful!! Lovely dog...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Congrats great looking dog. His face Reminds me of Marv from Tron Legacy, although Marv was a Boston Terrier.

Well, Cooper is 4 months and a week now, he seems to do the business every time we bring him out (4-5 times a day, 2 minutes away from the apartment). We take him to sleep with us as it is easier for us to wake up together and go outside straight away, when we leave him in the kitchen for the night he just goes everywhere then. Is he still not able to control his bladder properly or just doesn't understand it? He pied on the couch today (first time ever) and i'm really pissed off, don't want to snap at him like i did today, please advice, any...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,016 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Crate train OP

Cooper's still a baby, so his bladder control won't be great.

Another suggestion is to watch for triggers, then take him outside. With mine, when he slept, ate, woke up, played, we took him out to do his business. When he peed, we said 'wee wee', and when he did a poop, we said poo, poo. Soon, he learnt to pee on command, which is useful. Last thing at night, I take him out and tell him to 'do his wees'. He does it, and generally we get a quiet night!

When he 'performed', he was praised like mad when he got in. Within two weeks, he'd got the idea, and was dry as in he didn't do his business in the house.

Hope this helps!

ok, cooper is 6 months now and 9kg weight, and growing :) toilet problems fade away shortly after the last post, as soon as we moved to our new big house and he got used to having the privacy of the back garden :) started obedience training couple weeks ago (full blast this time) and he is doing very well, no sleeping in bed, feeding time and command to wait till allowed to go for it, stay etc etc... it is a joy to bring him anywhere with us, very patient and obedient, all friends and family are more happy to see him at the door than us at this stage :rolleyes:
    523958_4341688219446_1507565219_n.jpg

Cooper looks great! I love his ears...

Advertisement