Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Top 10 Favorite songs

• 27-02-2012 3:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,367 ✭✭✭

I restrained myself for a while making these threads but since the top 10 bands thread was a huge success I thought to do this one. What's are you're top 10 songs? Should be a hard one to think of I think.

Mine
    (1)Nothing Else Matters- Metallica(First song I ever trully loved, it's a masterpiece to me)

(2)Hurt- Johnny Cash(I like both versions by Cash and Nine Inch Nails but prefer Cash's one)

(3)Bohemian Rhapsordy- Queen(It's a classic that's still good to listen to even if it's a little overplayed but I think you'll find a lot of my favorites are overplayed

(4)Dream On- Aerosmith(i've got a thing for ballads and Dream On to me is my favorite ballad)

(5)Jeremy- Pearl Jam(I didn't know much about Pearl Jam up until two years ago but when I heard this song I became an instant fan. Eddie Vedder's vocals on this song are epic)

(6)Rooster- Alica In Chains(You can't snuff this rooster, it's too awesome)

(7)Bother - Stone Sour(Beautiful song, Corey Taylor did an awesome job with this)

(8)Heaven and Hell- Black Sabbath/Ronnie James Dio(I could proberly pick out a load of Black Sabbath songs tbh, but I always thought Ronnie's vocals on this song were amazing)

(9)Tribute- Tenacious D(I love this song, and I love the band too. can't wait for their next album)

(10)If I Die Tommorow- Motley Crue(It's a great song and does the trick for me)

That's my list anyway. I know it's a little main stream and a lot of the songs are either overplayed or could be replaced with better picks but I stand by my list nonetheless. They are my top 10 favorites.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Witchy.ie

Nice list mate, several of those would would make my top 20 but here is my top 10:

01. Mein Herz Brennt – Rammstein (love everything about this song from the orchestral intro to the spine shivering chorus)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-1fXW-_3Ig

02. Sonne – Rammstein ( the first song and video of theirs I heard/saw If you haven’t seen the video it’s epic and well worth checking out. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=kIBeYoP9Wi0

03. The Ballad of Dwight Fry – Alice Cooper (showing my advanced age here. I bought the album “Love it to Death” when it was released in 1970 and fell in love with at once http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjrgZPhuL9o

04. Ain’t Talking about Love – Van Halen. ( Was in Dublin’s Sound Cellar on the day the album was released and Tommy behind the counter said “you’ve GOT to hear this” left the shop financially poorer but immeasurably richer) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuyvT8nFMLY

05. Down in a Hole – Alice in Chains ( what can I say, it moves me) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8hT3oDDf6c&ob=av3e

06. Red Water – Type O Negative ( the most epically depressing Christmas song every written) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PewKtLL9nJA

07. When the Angels Sing – Social Distortion ( ballsy Rock n Roll cure for everything from a hangover to getting dumped by a girlfriend) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOt6EFqUubk&ob=av2e

08. Judith – A Perfect Circle (it was the video originally that sold me on this one, the sexy bass player tying up her hair during the bridge and coming back in at the perfect time) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTgKRCXybSM&ob=av2e

09. Overkill – Motorhead ( been a fan ever since seeing them play Belfield in Dublin in 1980) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlecTBevmzc

10. Mistral Wind – Heart (I used to work @ Tower Records in Dublin and George Collins, a mate from Glasgow used this song to demonstrate the shops sound system late one night before we opened for the first time http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAd9u2h_pRA

• Registered Users Posts: 8,367 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Off topic but did you see Rammstein on Monday?

Nice list too

Riddle101 wrote: »
    Off topic but did you see Rammstein on Monday?

Nice list too

Yeah I was there, what an amazing gig, I'm still buzzing from the experience

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Witchy.ie wrote: »

07. When the Angels Sing – Social Distortion

My bro called me from San FrAn sum night to tell me he is going to a party in anime ness's house. Apparently
    My bros missis lives with his sons nanny!! Jammy git!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Witchy.ie wrote: »

07. When the Angels Sing – Social Distortion

My bro called me from San FrAn sum night to tell me he is going to a party in anime ness's house. Apparently

• Advertisement

frag420 wrote: »

Wow, you said it mate :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭dcr22B

My top 10 would be (in no particular order):

1) Season in the Abyss - Slayer

2) Aesthetics of Hate - Machine Head

3) Jeremy - Pearl Jam

4) Territory - Sepultura

5) Dirty Women - Black Sabbath

6) Child in Time - Deep Purple

7) Disposable Heroes - Metallica

8) When - Megadeth

9) We've Come for You All - Anthrax

10) Estranged - Guns n Roses

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭hellyeah

in no particular order.
    Machine head :imperium
    Alice in chains :would / god am
    Type o negative: love you to death / anethesia
    Fear factory :replica
    Mastodon oblivion
    Metallica :turn the page (cover)
    Soulfly :babylon
    Korn :got the life.

Could probably edit this for eternity. So much good metal out there.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭evillive

hmmmm - all a bit old school - but

Creeping Death - Metallica
    Beneath The Remains - Sepultura
    Are You Ready - Thin Lizzy (where it all started for me)
    Mother - Danzig
    Antichrist Superstar - Marilyn Manson
    Dr. Feelgood - Motley Crue
    Liar - Rollins Band
    Welcome to the Jungle - Guns 'n' Roses
    Slave to the Grind - Skid Row
    Highway to Hell - AC/DC

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Nephilim Wolf

It's a very though choice to pick just 10 my absolute favourite songs, but I would have prefered to pick 20 instead, but anyway here are my favourites:

Iron Maiden - Caught Somewhere in Time from Caught Somewhere. An awesome opening song. Fantastic riff, bass, vocals, musicanship etc.

Fields of The Nephilim - The Watchman. I never tire of this song. From the opening guitar appregio to the occult lyrics, it's a class song.

Guns 'N Roses
    - Nightrain - I also heard 'Caught Somewhere in Time' by Iron Maiden around the same time as I was only getting into metal. For me I definitely think it's a major standout song on the album.

Emperor - Into The Infinity of Thoughts. This was the first Emperor album I heard and this song really blew me away big time.

Paradise Lost - Enchantment. I actually took a chance on 'Draconian Times' and it turned out to be an incredible album from start to finish. This songs opens the album with a very very memorable piano intro, and then goes into a stunning riff with great vocals and lyrics.

David Bowie - Moonage Daydream. I think this song might be a bit underated, but it's amazing and Mick Ronson's guitar work is truly amazing.

Rush - The Trees. I first heard Rush, when a colleage gave me a lend of Rush's fantastic live album 'Exit...Stage Left'.

Dissection - Thorns of Crimson Death. An incredible song, and I love the frozen guitar riff at the start. It's one of those incredible metal songs that has an outstanding guitar riff at the start, and then it comes in again in the middle of the song.

Dimmu Borgir - In Death's Embrace. It took me a while to get this album, but when I did it did take a while to get into. This song is unforgettable.

Amorphis - Summer's End. I got a lend of 'Tuonela' way back in 2001 and I was listening to it and 'Am Universum' all summer long. 'Summer's End' is a stunning and unforgettable song to a really class album. Anytime I hear this song it always takes me back to that summer when I first heard it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭waltersobchak

1. Dream Theater "A Change Of Seasons"
    Basically if i had to live on a desert island this would be the song i'd take with me..

2. Rush "Time Stands Still"

This song isnt exactly one of Rush's most famous or complicated songs, but i absolutely love this song, and the older i get the more i've related to Neil Pearts lyrics in this one.

3. Pink Floyd "Dogs"

A song i've listened to a million times and one i can listen to a million more.

4. Transatlantic "We All Need Some Light"

Fu*king beautiful song, amazing playing from all involved. And Neal Morse's melodies are incredible in this song.

5. Alice In Chains "Nutshell"

Fu*king incredible song, hauntingly beautiful. Just everything about it is perfect.

6. Tool "46 & 2"

One of the greatest songs of the 90's full stop.

7. Pearl Jam "Alone"

How this song never made it onto a PJ album i'll never know, its unreal

. Iron Maiden "The Evil Men Do"
    Absolutely love this song, the chorus is so memorable and the solo is one of my favourites of all time too, unreal.

9. Black Sabbath "Sabbath Bloody Sabbath"
    Could've picked more than one Sabbath song tbh but this is by far my favourite

10. Queensryche "Eyes of A Stranger"
    From the unbelivable album "Operation Mindcrime" This song fits within the concept of the album but also works as a stand alone song aswell which is a credit to the great song writing on that album. And the chorus is beyond awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Joe_Dull

1. Dream Theater "A Change Of Seasons"
    Basically if i had to live on a desert island this would be the song i'd take with me..

I'll think of a list later, but what a fantastic choice this is. The song that has everything!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Quite hard to narrow it down, but I'd probably say (in no exact order):

1) Cannibal Corpse - Hammer Smashed Face
    2) Mayhem - Deathcrush
    3) Misery Index - Exception to the Ruled
    4) Dying Fetus - Schematics
    5) Dying Fetus - One Shot, One Kill
    6) My Dying Bride - My Body, A Funeral
    7) Children of Bodom - Silent Night, Bodom Night
    8) Anaal Nathrakh - Do Not Speak
    9) Mayhem - Freezing Moon
    10) Type O Negative - Unsuccessfully Coping with the Natural Beauty of Infidelity

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Dark Artist

These aren't all rock or metal but here we go:

1. Ghost Love Score - Nightwish
    2. They Don't Care About Us - Michael Jackson
    3. Evanescence - Lithium
    4. Resign to Surrender - Epica
    5. Million - ReVamp
    6. The Quantum Symphony - Unexpect
    7. Scream - Michael Jackson (feat. Janet)
    8. Fatal Tragedy - Dream Theater
    9. The Boys - Girl's Generation
    10. Panic Attack - Dream Theater

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭rednik

1. Pink Floyd - Echoes
    2. Rainbow - Stargazer
    3. Iron Maiden - Phantom of the Opera
    4. Led Zeppelin - No quarter
    5. Van Halen - Unchained
    6. Peter Gabriel - Red Rain
    7. Rory Gallagher - Messin' with the kid
    8. Rush - Limelight
    9. Thin Lizzy - Emerald
    10. Black Sabbath - Children of the sea

• Registered Users Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

In no particular order:

1. Metalica - Creeping Death. Could have said any number of metallica song but this one just edges it.

2. Social Distortion - Reach for the Sky. Again, hard to narrow it down to one, but If I was picking more than one song from a band my list would be full already :D

3. Misfits - Hybrid Moments. See above.

4. Overkill - Ironbound. Fantastic bit of trash.

5. Gamma Ray - Armageddon. Epic. Just epic.

6. Bad Religion - Sorrow. Yep, More punk.

7. Iron Madien - Everything. If I had to pick though...

8. Rush - Red Barchetta. Enough said.

9. Ramomes - I don't wanna grow up. Great band, great cover.

10. Ghost - Ritual. Really can't get enough of this band.

Note: This list will probably have completely changed within 24 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭brownstone

My top ten would be:

1. 'Nightrain' Guns N' Roses.
    2. 'Ride the lightning' Metallica
    3. 'Polly' by Nirvana
    4. 'My Michelle' Guns N' Roses
    5. 'Killing in the Name of' Rage Against the Machine
    6. 'Sonne' Rammstein
    7. 'She's only 18' Red Hot Chili Peppers
    8. 'Overkill' Motorhead
    9. 'Run to the hills' Iron Maiden
    10. 'Enter Sandman' Metallica

On a different note, anyone going to Red Hot Chili Peppers or Guns N' Roses this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,573 ✭✭✭lord lucan

In no particular order.

Orion - Metallica
    Out ta get Me - GN'R
    Imperium - Machine Head
    One Vision - Queen
    Leper Messiah - Metallica
    Raining Blood - Slayer
    Symphony of Destruction - Megadeth
    Mandatory Suicide - Slayer
    Antisocial - Anthrax
    Jizzlobber - Faith No More

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

This is only my top 10 favourite rock tunes, I'm a hip hop fan so i wouldn't really consider many of these an overall favourite.

In no particular order

Comfortably numb - Pink floyd
    Old man - Neil Young
    Is there a ghost - Band of horses
    I wanna be adored - Stone roses
    Walking on the moon - The Police
    Hey you - Pink Floyd
    Mykonos - Fleet foxes
    Bang - Blur
    Talk tonight - Oasis
    Under the bridge - RHCP

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭TheStickyBandit

I'm going to list my top 10 metal songs, I couldnt choose an 'all time top 10 songs' list, there'd be to much chopping and changing.

1. Lamb of God - Laid to Rest
    2. All That Remains - Erase (From their death metal era, which is waaay better imo)
    3. Mastodon - Iron Tusk (The pinched harmonics rock in this song)
    4. Lamb of God - Descending (I love the muted guitar at the start and the coarse vocals on this)
    5. KSE - The Element of One
    6. As I Lay Dying - Through Struggle
    7. Threat Signal - Faceless (off their first album Under Reprisal, well worth checking out)
    8. Gojira - Oroborus
    9. Lamb of God - Walk With mMe In Hell
    10. Testament - Sewn Shut Eyes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Dark Artist

I'm going to list my top 10 metal songs, I couldnt choose an 'all time top 10 songs' list, there'd be to much chopping and changing.

1. Lamb of God - Laid to Rest
    2. All That Remains - Erase (From their death metal era, which is waaay better imo)
    3. Mastodon - Iron Tusk (The pinched harmonics rock in this song)
    4. Lamb of God - Descending (I love the muted guitar at the start and the coarse vocals on this)
    5. KSE - The Element of One
    6. As I Lay Dying - Through Struggle
    7. Threat Signal - Faceless (off their first album Under Reprisal, well worth checking out)
    8. Gojira - Oroborus
    9. Lamb of God - Walk With mMe In Hell
    10. Testament - Sewn Shut Eyes

Oroborus is really great. Not a huge death metal fan but that's a good chewn.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,367 ✭✭✭Riddle101

lord lucan wrote: »
    In no particular order.

Orion - Metallica
    Out ta get Me - GN'R
    Imperium - Machine Head
    One Vision - Queen
    Leper Messiah - Metallica
    Raining Blood - Slayer
    Symphony of Destruction - Megadeth
    Mandatory Suicide - Slayer
    Antisocial - Anthrax
    Jizzlobber - Faith No More

Master of Puppets ftw;)

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭etloveslsd

In no order

Disposable Heroes - Metallica
    Aces High - Iron Maiden
    Du Riecht So Gut - Rammstein
    The Laper Afinity - Opeth
    The Coffin Ships - Primordial
    Hey Satan You Rock - Therapy?
    Holy Wars....The Punishment Due - Megadeth
    No Good - Prodigy
    The Wolf is Loose - Mastodon
    Fear of a Blank Planet - Porcupin Tree

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Joe_Dull

Purely from the Rock and Metal stable, and keeping to one track per artist...

Dream Theater - Fatal Tragedy
    Korn - Right Now
    In Flames - Colony
    Trivium - Ascendancy
    Enter Shikari - Enter Shikari
    Soilwork - Follow the Hollow
    Dark Tranquillity - The Wonders at Your Feet
    Scar Symmetry - Morphogenesis
    Biffy Clyro - Time as an Imploding Unit/Waiting for Green
    System of a Down - Soil

And in honour of my post count, I'll break my own rule...

In Flames - Episode 666 :p

Advertisement