Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New icerink!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

hockeymad wrote: »
    Did you all hear that there is a new Ice Rink after opening in Castleknock D15 across from bradys motors :)

They are only there for Christmas but they hope to stay open for good afterwards

They are on Facebook under Castleknock On Ice

They are the crew that ran Navan on Ice

Great stuff, not too far from me. I'll do my best to keep them in business...

Welcome to the forum by the way!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 hockeymad

Thanks man

Will prob see you down there some night

• Registered Users Posts: 34 victap8

Also a new rink currently being built in Dun Laoghaire

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭PMC83

victap8 wrote: »
    Also a new rink currently being built in Dun Laoghaire

Is it an xmas on ice job or a more perminant one?

PMC83 wrote: »
    Is it an xmas on ice job or a more perminant one?
    I think its an xmas job mate, look them up on facebook, they also have pics up of building stages of the rink.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭403 Forbidden

Just after seeing this thread now and I cant wait. Is there any update on it :)

Just after seeing this thread now and I cant wait. Is there any update on it :)

Which rink you want to know about ?
    The one in Castleknock is open near 6 weeks now and the have a web page http://castleknockonice.com and a face book page Castleknock on ice :D

There is also the new santry ice sports arena which will be open in January but not to the public

There is a new rink that opened in town at Wolfe Tone park beside the JERVIS STREET SHOPPING CENTER which opened on Monday :):):):):)
    Dun Laoghaire is only for the Christmas and they also have a FB page Dun Laoghaire on ice

hockeymad wrote: »
    Which rink you want to know about ?
    The one in Castleknock is open near 6 weeks now and the have a web page http://castleknockonice.com and a face book page Castleknock on ice :D

There is also the new santry ice sports arena which will be open in January but not to the public

There is a new rink that opened in town at Wolfe Tone park beside the JERVIS STREET SHOPPING CENTER which opened on Monday :):):):):)
    Dun Laoghaire is only for the Christmas and they also have a FB page Dun Laoghaire on ice

Im More interested in the one in Santry, I would love to get into Ice Hockey.

Im More interested in the one in Santry, I would love to get into Ice Hockey.

Here is the only shop in Ireland at the min
    http://thewarehouseni.co.uk/
    They are very helpful and will box everything off for you

Any word on whether the rink in Santry will offer skating/hockey lessons?

• Advertisement

MrJoeSoap wrote: »

They are calling the rink the national ice sports development center so I would think so but not sure if they are

If you can not skate they run lessons in Castleknock on Ice and then the team you join will teach you hockey through drills and training

Yeah according to IIHA they will be doing Learn To Play programmes so yeah they will.

And I'm pretty sure its gonna be called "National Ice Sports & Training Arena"

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Rookey

hey, anyone have any update on the new ice rink? I cant find any new updates on it....

Rookey wrote: »
    hey, anyone have any update on the new ice rink? I cant find any new updates on it....

Anyone?

Wonder when there will be an update was suppose to be opening in February :(

Wonder when there will be an update was suppose to be opening in February :(

apparently IIHA.oeg should announce on their website when the opening of the rink will be!

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Wisco

Unfortunately these pics aren't very new (saw them few months ago) so hoping they've made some progress lately!

Anymore word on this ?

Their Facebook page is also not working any more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭Crapbag

The disappointing aspect of those pictures is the lack of a spectating area but thats about the only thing I can see wrong with it. Its hard to build a sport without a spot for the fans. Do they have a Zamboni for the rink? Ive been playing up at Castleknock on ice for a few weeks now. Its not bad, rink is small but any ice is good ice at this stage. I hope it stays open if both rinks are up and running. Ive been chatting about the Santry rink to lads playing up there and its all just rumors as to when it will open. Some were saying it was meant to be open last week but there was an issue with ice laying. We are all waiting for it to open.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

cena wrote: »
    I would of took me 3hours too have gone too dundalk. Is there a reason Why they would bring nhl size rink here. I hope some nhl teams come here for a game

/me starts fantasising about a game between Brno Kometa and the Dublin Gurriers.

I'd imagine a Zamboni would be way over-budget for a place like Santry.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

Crapbag wrote: »
    The disappointing aspect of those pictures is the lack of a spectating area but thats about the only thing I can see wrong with it.

There is about 10 meters of space which isnt in that pic to the right and there are benches in storage which havnt been assembled yet. They will go the length of the rink and will also be at the foot of the rink. It would be about 5 tiers high all around. More than enough for a growing sport. There are offices lining the entire wall the length of the place to which a viewing could be put in - like an executive box space in a proper stadium.

No point in jumping to conclusions and saying its disappointing when you've never seen the place. This is being done out of yer mans pockets, theres no point in getting all this stuff if there is no ice down. So lets wait for that to happen first. I'd much rather a good slab of ice to benches for people to sit on while they look at the grid of pipes. Remember, they need ice to make money.
    Some were saying it was meant to be open last week but there was an issue with ice laying. We are all waiting for it to open.

Theres only a handful of lads working on the project, all these rumors your hearing are just that, rumors. The the first problem was getting the equipment in. That pic of the rink was taken before they even had chillers. Then they had to find people who know what they are doing to assemble it. They had to free up time to come over, then they have to build it, then test it. If a pipe has a leak its much easier to fix when there is no ice down. They can take another 6 months for all i care. If its done right we will have a good rink, and they are trying to do just that, there are no risks being taken with this project.
    I'd imagine a Zamboni would be way over-budget for a place like Santry.

You'd be wrong... x 2

red_ice wrote: »
    You'd be wrong... x 2

Savage!

red_ice wrote: »

No point in jumping to conclusions and saying its disappointing when you've never seen the place. This is being done out of yer mans pockets, theres no point in getting all this stuff if there is no ice down. So lets wait for that to happen first. I'd much rather a good slab of ice to benches for people to sit on while they look at the grid of pipes. Remember, they need ice to make money.

Point taken but relax mate. Im just going by the pictures. Its hard to see what the gap distance is in them. Ive been in rinks where its a 4 foot gap to the wall and no space to have seats. Im glad there are plans. Thanks for the info

I read the rest of the thread there. Im willing to lend a hand on cleaning boards or whatever is needed. Who should I contact?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

Point taken but relax mate. Im just going by the pictures. Its hard to see what the gap distance is in them. Ive been in rinks where its a 4 foot gap to the wall and no space to have seats. Im glad there are plans. Thanks for the info

I read the rest of the thread there. Im willing to lend a hand on cleaning boards or whatever is needed. Who should I contact?

Soz, i came across as being a dick there, it was unintentional! There is space for people and its been a key point in having the rink! I'm not gonna say who to talk to because Im not sure what the situation is right now!

No worries man. I just wanna play there. I know there might be politics but I just wanna help out where I can, get involved and play.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭goblin59

cannot wait to get back on the ice again and play icehockey!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 ExIIHA

No worries man. I just wanna play there. I know there might be politics but I just wanna help out where I can, get involved and play.
    An email to office@iiha.org will get you involved with the people in Santry.:)

Advertisement