Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

what litre engine is most efficient?

• 31-03-2012 3:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭

hi,
    what litre engine is most efficient/cheap for driving in the city? i'm looking at a 1.1 seat ibiza but would be dropping from a 1.4 and I am a bit reluctant...however with rising petrol prices i might be better off with a 1.1?

not too clued in on cars so any insights are welcome..thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,088 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

In general bigger engines are more efficient for fast motorway driving, while smaller engines are more efficient for city driving.
    However under some treshold, when engine is too weak for the car, it will be less efficient than bigger engine.

This is all very generall, as there are plenty of exceptions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭Daniel S

Depends on the car and type of driving.

Motorway/bigger cars need bigger engines. City/smaller cars don't need big engines.

I suppose a rule of thumb would be the smallest engine that will allow your car to be driven with a light foot.

A 1litre in an Audi A4 would not be efficient as you'd have to floor it and rev the bejaysus out of it to get it to move anywhere, which is very inefficient.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

As a very general rule, smaller engine are more efficient, but it depends on far too many factors like the car type, gearing, driving style, city/motorway use etc etc

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

In Ireland always about 600cc less than in the rest of Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭Daniel S

In Ireland always about 600cc less than in the rest of Europe.
    Hahaha! :D

'Hon Paddy spec t'fcuk! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

Why not look into a moped or a bike? If it's just for city driving?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Piriz

Samich wrote: »
    Why not look into a moped or a bike? If it's just for city driving?

I like cars, and passengers... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

I hate passengers, dirty shoed, grubby handed leeches...

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

I think you're an awful obnoxious billix having a big car like that for just one passenger. The likes of you make me sick! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭realgirl

There is info on fuel usage of individual cars on the sustainable energy ireland website
    http://www.seai.ie/Power_of_One/Getting_Around/HCIYC/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭gollywog

Me too,
    Spent about an hour cleaning my interior yesterday, had the car like new inside, seats cleaned and all, then my girlfriend informed me i had to collect her niece from school... In she jumps, mucky feet first onto my back seats, felt like screamin'!! The back of the car looks like a farmers backyard now, worse than when i began cleaning it!! But sure what can ya do!! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

Oh, you've met my kids then? :)

OP, it really depends on what the car will be mostly used for - mostly short commutes / shopping trips then a small petrol (up to 1.2, say). If lots of motorway / long journeys then a larger petrol (1.6+) or diesel engine is what you need. Your annual mileage should be taken into account too, the received wisdom is that 15-20k km a year is the sweet spot for justifying the extra outlay for a diesel compared to a petrol model of a similar car.

Are you buying new, nearly new etc? What's your budget?

As you can see, there are quite a few variables to consider =/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

anything over about three litre is wasteful as it wont get you there any quicker. anything under three litre is wasteful as it is too slow. i have a three litre

corktina wrote: »
    anything over about three litre is wasteful as it wont get you there any quicker. anything under three litre is wasteful as it is too slow. i have a three litre

A perfectly sensible argument. I'm sold!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    I think you're an awful obnoxious billix having a big car like that for just one passenger. The likes of you make me sick! :mad:

Haha, I tell a lie, I love passengers, they get to share the opulence.
    Just don't touch anything!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

gollywog wrote: »
    Me too,
    Spent about an hour cleaning my interior yesterday, had the car like new inside, seats cleaned and all, then my girlfriend informed me i had to collect her niece from school... In she jumps, mucky feet first onto my back seats, felt like screamin'!! The back of the car looks like a farmers backyard now, worse than when i began cleaning it!! But sure what can ya do!! :pac:
    Do that with three of your own kids and see how long you can sustain the washing/waxing/interior cleaning!! There comes a point!

Yakuza wrote: »
    Oh, you've met my kids then? :)

OP, it really depends on what the car will be mostly used for - mostly short commutes / shopping trips then a small petrol (up to 1.2, say). If lots of motorway / long journeys then a larger petrol (1.6+) or diesel engine is what you need. Your annual mileage should be taken into account too, the received wisdom is that 15-20k km a year is the sweet spot for justifying the extra outlay for a diesel compared to a petrol model of a similar car.

Are you buying new, nearly new etc? What's your budget?

As you can see, there are quite a few variables to consider =/

Hi,
    im moving back to Dublin and reckon i wont be doing too much on the motorway or doing anything over 8,000 a year... I do drive a 1.4 Rover 200 at the mo and i tend to drive it fast (not recklessly however). I like the 1.4 for power but am thinking i'd save with a 1.2 2002 Seat Ibiza...? My budget is fairly low..; not spending high as i might not be in this country in a year but the car i have has no nct and its time to change it. Maybe a Seat Leon 1.4 would be the best way to go...

thanks for the replies..

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Dub XV

Use Autotrader.co.uk and use their info in the spec section of the car you are interested in. MPG will be in there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

3.8 litre as it makes the driver instantly attractive with the minimum expenditure of energy and melts outer clothing as well as underwear, saving all that unbuckling, unhitching and unwrapping. Simplez.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

Piriz wrote: »
    Hi,
    im moving back to Dublin and reckon i wont be doing too much on the motorway or doing anything over 8,000 a year...
    At 5L/100k you would use 400 litres, at 6L/100k you will use 480 litres, at 7L/100k you will use 560 litres.

It hardly makes a difference what you drive at your mileage! Get something you are happy with and won't spend too much time fixing and live your life!

• Advertisement

"It hardly makes a difference what you drive at your mileage! Get something you are happy with and won't spend too much time fixing and live your life!"

Ok sound...Leon it is then...that clears that up... time for beer!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭gollywog

shedweller wrote: »
    gollywog wrote: »
    Me too,
    Do that with three of your own kids and see how long you can sustain the washing/waxing/interior cleaning!! There comes a point!

Yes, that's exactly why I know I'm not ready for kids yet! :)

Piriz wrote: »
    Hi,
    im moving back to Dublin and reckon i wont be doing too much on the motorway or doing anything over 8,000 a year... I do drive a 1.4 Rover 200 at the mo and i tend to drive it fast (not recklessly however). I like the 1.4 for power but am thinking i'd save with a 1.2 2002 Seat Ibiza...? My budget is fairly low..; not spending high as i might not be in this country in a year but the car i have has no nct and its time to change it. Maybe a Seat Leon 1.4 would be the best way to go...

thanks for the replies..

That is not a sentence I thought I would ever hear, unless someone took said engine and strapped it to a skateboard.

Advertisement