Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ten Years After Decriminalization, Drug Abuse Down by Half in Portugal

123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

The difference is, based on this report, that the Portuguese seem to have a mature attitude to recreational drug taking.

Ireland needs to grow up and sort out its attitude to alcohol first, before tackling the other stuff. And this is coming from a weed smoker.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭fish fingers

uch wrote: »
    Me too, but I dont remember much :o

Its a reference to the best tv show ever made "The wire"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

Oh and it's always mentioned in threads like this that we could make so much in tax from legalisation.

but that may not actually be true..... Sadly.

http://www.slate.com/articles/business/moneybox/2012/07/how_much_would_legal_marijuana_cost_a_new_book_says_it_would_be_nearly_free_.html

But weed could be practically free!

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Dionysius2

Wonder if the powers that be here would ever be courageous enough to adopt the Portuguese approach ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

Dionysius2 wrote: »
    ...powers that be here...courageous...
    Hahahahahahahahahha.

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,067 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Oh and it's always mentioned in threads like this that we could make so much in tax from legalisation.

but that may not actually be true..... Sadly.

http://www.slate.com/articles/business/moneybox/2012/07/how_much_would_legal_marijuana_cost_a_new_book_says_it_would_be_nearly_free_.html

But weed could be practically free!

that's assuming it's not taxed and regulated. There are plenty of things like hops and poppies that you need to get a licence to grow.

the best way to regulate it would be to issue licences to collectives and growers. And people can only grow anything more than 4 plants if they are under licence. When you get a gun licence, you have to say where you're going to shoot and get confirmation from the farmer etc.... With a grass growing licence, you have to specify where you're going to sell and get a stamp from the coffee shop you sell to.

Also tax the finished product. If it can be manufactured and sold for €5-10 a gram, tax it so it's €15-20 per gram. It'd still be cheaper than dealers currently sell it for, it would be guarenteed to be good quality and you would be getting good revenue.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭VEN

portugal is a filthy dump, you think ireland is corrupt?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 262 ✭✭pcworldisajoke

Dionysius2 wrote: »
    Wonder if the powers that be here would ever be courageous enough to adopt the Portuguese approach ?

we have no powers in this country. Only idiots with their head in the stand looking after themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

That's rubbish.
    How is someone that willingly does something considered to have a "disease"?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

VEN wrote: »

Uh, no it's not. I think it's a stunning country. Wasn't there long enough to witness any corruption mind, but as for it being a filthy dump? No way.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 262 ✭✭pcworldisajoke

is it really?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

OP: There's a difference between decriminalising drug use and condoning drugs. I'd be happy to consider decriminalising drug use if it was coupled with more policing in respect to the growing of drugs domestically, and the importation of drugs. Shift the emphasis onto the supply.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭VEN

Sauve wrote: »
    Uh, no it's not. I think it's a stunning country. Wasn't there long enough to witness any corruption mind, but as for it being a filthy dump? No way.

minus the scenery, sun etc. the rest, south of portugal is the worse part. ok it is very poor there, but i walked on enough dog and cat **** to do me a lifetime.
    lisbon is a dangerous spot at night, mostly from non-nationals.
    don't let the brochure with its tourist areas fool you. they're paid to be nice.
    try living there. never again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭Ms.M

Decriminalise cannibas anyway.
    People who grow at home should be allowed to.

Off topic, I think there's a bit of high-horsing from users on this thread. People who pay for it from drug-dealers do have a choice. They choose to be scumbags. I really don't give a crap about their rights. They're arseholes. Seriously, there are people who would like to but their pesky morals get in the way.... don't presume everyone lacks them and anyone who wanted to do drugs would do the same. Not everyone has the same sense of entitlement. Talk for yourselves!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

minus the scenery, sun etc. the rest, south of portugal is the worse part. ok it is very poor there, but i walked on enough dog and cat **** to do me a lifetime.
    lisbon is a dangerous spot at night, mostly from non-nationals.
    don't let the brochure with its tourist areas fool you. they're paid to be nice.
    try living there. never again.

We found parts of it edgy but no real fear. Unless the locals were scared of us, me & the wife being non-nationals and all...

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Dionysius2

In Ireland, our desire to beat illegal drug usage through law enforcement is just stupid. If it was possible to get the whole Iriosh nation to tour the world and in so doing to take in all the vagaries of life that abound in the world and to face the reality that there are countless different beliefs and practices that must be accommodated in life, the we would begin to understand that private behaviour cannot be regulated.

Let's just take a peep at what we thought we could regulate, suppress, defeat, control, through legislation.

* Birth control......I won't even go into it because anyone who would not see how utterly stupid our governments egged on by rampant clericalism, behaved, cannot be enlightened by words from this quarter. Irish solution for an Irish problem....eh ?...Irish problem....?...Huh.

* Divorce......Oh no, not for the people of this fair land. Not in Patrick's plan for the salvation of the Gael.......but where is it now ?

* Abortion......thorny one but hey reality is the ultimate ruler.
    The 5000 per annum crossing the Irish sea for terminations provide concrete evidence of what needs to be done. The rest is just mood music.

Clericalism has been wonderful and awful in terms of it's impact on Irish society but it's time for it's promoters to leave the stage and I'm glad to say that young Ireland is already delivering that reality.

As regards contreolling drugs by law enforcement as some think we should be able to do, just consider this point. It is probably true that 60 to 70% of our Univ students in Ireland have used some, at least of the drugs controlled by law. If they were all detected and criminalised........how would that contribute to a better society ? If Sir Walter Raleigh had brought back Cannabis rather than Tobacco then the drug controls would be reversed. All that vast tax that governments collect on tobacco would be collected on cannabis.

The OP is very meritorious and we should take more note of it.

Never ask to know for whom the bell tolls..../.

Advertisement