Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

• 03-03-2011 8:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Hammar

Breffni boardsies,check in.....

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Well this is going well ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭cherrytaz

Exceedingly well

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭scoopmine

Going really well cavan for sam!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭blackbelt

This is so great that it is epic.

All we need now is for Lemlin to arrive between the months of May and June and this thread will take Boards by storm.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Browney7

Yeah was wondering where Lemlin has gotten to alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Hammar

This thread is going aswell as the Cavan Hurlers are....

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

blackbelt wrote: »
    This is so great that it is epic.

All we need now is for Lemlin to arrive between the months of May and June and this thread will take Boards by storm.;)

Jesus Blackbelt, you have an awful fascination with me :)

And yes, why wouldn't I be back between May and June. Its when Cavan are in the championship and when I've a direct interest! I don't see alot of GAA happening at the moment to comment on to be honest.

As for Cavan GAA - my views at present.
    I was happy to see Val Andrews come back. I thought he left with unfinished business in 2001 and he was the last manager to get us to an Ulster final. I also thought the appointment of Terry Hyland, a local man with good knowledge of local football who is known for not mixing his words, would work well.

However, happy as I am with the appointments, it's certainly clearer than ever that the quality needed in the panel just isn't there to work with. The trouncing by Offaly in the first game of the League was a bitter pill to swallow as we'd just gone well in the McKenna Cup in making it out of the Group stages.

The next League game is vital as it will definitely be the difference between pushing for promotion or fighting relegation. Cavan's aim has to be getting out of Division 3 but, at the moment, we just aren't good enough and it'll be a big turn around if we are in the mix for promotion.

A nice run in the qualifers would be good too but, at present, I'm pleased to see that the last remenants of the 1997 team have left the panel and that Andrews and Hyland can set about working on the team. I think they should be left there for 3 to five years to allow a complete overhaul of the whole county setup.

Now that I'm the first person who has actually given an opinion, maybe the thread will get rolling.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Torlac

As a Cavan man living in Cork it is rare that i get to see the beloved Breffni play, either live or on tv.
    Media coverage outside the county is thin on the ground and even the Celt on-line edition gives little info.
    I must agree I'm glad to see Val back after his lenghty absence.
    As farr as the results go it's a long way from the buzz of '97.
    I hope the county board let management get on with what is a massive rebuilding exercise and that as Lemlin says perhaps in 3 to 5 years we have a team to be proud of.
    Anything would be better than the hiding we got by Cork last year !!

Torlac wrote: »
    As a Cavan man living in Cork it is rare that i get to see the beloved Breffni play, either live or on tv.
    Media coverage outside the county is thin on the ground and even the Celt on-line edition gives little info.
    I must agree I'm glad to see Val back after his lenghty absence.
    As farr as the results go it's a long way from the buzz of '97.
    I hope the county board let management get on with what is a massive rebuilding exercise and that as Lemlin says perhaps in 3 to 5 years we have a team to be proud of.
    Anything would be better than the hiding we got by Cork last year !!

There are a number of good young players coming through (Gearoid McKiernan, David Givney, Niall McKiernan) who look like they could make a difference and in Seanie Johnston we have a corner forward who can win any match given the service. Johnston is now 26 or 27 so he has a few years left yet.

A breakthrough is needed at U21 or minor level though. Reaching the Ulster U21 final last year was good but an Ulster title at one of these levels is needed. All too often Cavan have lost to an Armagh or Tyrone team narrowly at minor level only for that team to go on and win the AI. It always leaves you thinking what might have been.

Year after year, Cavan also perform well in the Hastings Cup and constantly beat most opposition in the minor league. For example, last year the Cavan minor team beat the likes of Dublin, Meath and Down in the league. The only team who beat them AFAIK was Armagh and that was by a point.

It's going to take a few years to build up a team though and, as stated, I hope Val and Terry are given the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭scoopmine

I would like to see a game plan developing so that the last few years of get the ball to jelly and we will be grand stopped.. That is too easy to defend..
    Hopefully u21s put in another good year..
    Commitment players like keating watters in and working people not dropping off the panel half wat through eg cullivan etc
    Coachs at underage have to be better..
    Weights systems have to be put in the long term for players to compete in ulster...

• Advertisement

To be fair,when looking at underage success,a key factor is to look at what we have been up against in Ulster over the last 15 years.
    On a number of occasions, we have been beaten by the eventual All Ireland champions very narrowly

2001 Derry Minors
    Marty Clarkes Down Minor team
    2008 Tyrone Minor team
    These are 3 examples.,there are more.

Look at what that 2008 Tyrone Minor team done to Meath in the All Ireland Semi Final???
    Ulster has been by far the strongest province at minor level
    winning 7 out of the last 10 Minor All Irelands. Different years, we could have had the 2nd or 3rd best team in the country and still failed to pick up any silverware.

There is a core bunch of footballers on the Cavan panel whom are talented.
    Outwith Miller and Jelly,whom we know are 2 of the best in the country.

Dermot Sheridan,Martin Cahill,Mark McKeever,Gunner,Michael H and Ronan Flanagan are talented players.
    John McCutcheon,Michael Brennan,Alan Clarke and Nesty in particular have emerged in the last year or two as being more than capable at IC level.

Ray Cullivan and Cian Mackey have only shown their undoubted talents in glimpses at IC level.
    Gerard Pierson is one of the most naturally talented footballers in the country,but has also just shown glimpses(His 10 point performance against Meath in Navan,for example)
    Keith Fannin is something similar.

Barry Reily,Gearoid McKiernan and David Givney are going to be stars at IC level.

Now im not for one second claiming,we have the talent to be winning all-irelands regularly,but we have enough talent to get out of Division 3, and to start climbing the pecking order in Ulster,instead of battling it out with Fermanagh for the wooden spoon at the bottom.

Hammar wrote: »
    To be fair,when looking at underage success,a key factor is to look at what we have been up against in Ulster over the last 15 years.
    On a number of occasions, we have been beaten by the eventual All Ireland champions very narrowly

2001 Derry Minors
    2008 Tyrone Minor team

Look at what that 2008 Tyrone Minor team done to Meath in the All Ireland Semi Final???
    winning 7 out of the last 10 Minor All Irelands. Different years, we could have had the 2nd or 3rd best team in the country and still failed to pick up any silverware.

Dermot Sheridan,Martin Cahill,Mark McKeever,Gunner,Michael H and Ronan Flanagan are talented players.
    John McCutcheon,Michael Brennan,Alan Clarke and Nesty in particular have emerged in the last year or two as being more than capable at IC level.

Ray Cullivan and Cian Mackey have only shown their undoubted talents in glimpses at IC level.
    Gerard Pierson is one of the most naturally talented footballers in the country,but has also just shown glimpses(His 10 point performance against Meath in Navan,for example)

Barry Reily,Gearoid McKiernan and David Givney are going to be stars at IC level.

Now im not for one second claiming,we have the talent to be winning all-irelands regularly,but we have enough talent to get out of Division 3, and to start climbing the pecking order in Ulster,instead of battling it out with Fermanagh for the wooden spoon at the bottom.

I'd have to disagree Hammar. I think alot of the Cavan football panel are overrated and there's a big problem with the standard or football in the county. For example, Kingscourt won the senior county championship last year. How did they fare in Ulster?

Cavan Gaels won the senior championship for a number of years and failed to make any headway in Ulster, at a time when they had several of the county starting team, as well as other players who would have made the county team but weren't interested.

I made the point myself about Cavan being narrowly beaten by eventual All-Ireland champions. For example, in 2005 the Cavan U21 team got to the Ulster final and ran Down close. Down then went on to win the All-Ireland. That was a year I thought we were really in with a chance.

However, it's telling of Cavan football. Great losses where we should have performed better. Just look at the Armagh game in 2004 or the Tyrone drawn game in 2005. Either of those could have been wins but IMO from underage level our players hadn't the conviction to get ahead and close the match out.

Success is needed at underage level to get our players used to winning.

Defeat to Limerick yesterday.
    0-10-0-5 down and a great comeback until Stephen Jordans sending off virtually took the wind out of our sales,when it was level at 1-11 to 0-14.
    We need to do something about all these sendings offs. Jordan got gate against Tyrone in the McKenna Cup earlier on,and you have to feel some sympathy for him,as he is not an IC corner back,and has never played there for Lavey, for whom he lines out at Centre Field or in the half forward line The selection of Alan Clarke,probably our best option at CHB in the corner is another ridiculous decision.
    The appearance of Michael Lyng,and Eugene Keating are good signs however.

15 points really should win you a game in the National Football League.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,325 ✭✭✭celt262

2001 Derry Minors
    2008 Tyrone Minor team

I would disagree with that also.

They are good footballs but to say that they are going to be stars is wrong as none of them have done nothing at IC level as yet.

Jelly does not seem to do it when he is needed and apart form the Wicklow game last year has not done much in Championship games.

Club football in Cavan is poor and the best club players are not making it at IC Level.

Defeat to Limerick yesterday.
    0-10-0-5 down and a great comeback until Stephen Jordans sending off virtually took the wind out of our sales,when it was level at 1-11 to 0-14.
    We need to do something about all these sendings offs. Jordan got gate against Tyrone in the McKenna Cup earlier on,and you have to feel some sympathy for him,as he is not an IC corner back,and has never played there for Lavey, for whom he lines out at Centre Field or in the half forward line The selection of Alan Clarke,probably our best option at CHB in the corner is another ridiculous decision.
    The appearance of Michael Lyng,and Eugene Keating are good signs however.

15 points really should win you a game in the National Football League.

Had Limerick not lost all of their games before yesterday too? Cavan are looking more like candidates for relegation than promotion at this stage.

As for Stephen, he's never played in the backline for Lavey as you say so not sure why Terry and Val decided to put him there but it looks like it's because they haven't a recognised corner back who's better.

The League campaign has been a poor one though. Plenty of work needed and I'd agree with Celt262 above that enough players aren't cutting it at IC level.

The lack of quality in Cavan football in general is also a problem. I often attend Meath club matches and I find that some of their intermediate teams would easily match some of our senior sides. The football up there just seems to be of a higher standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭blackbelt

There is a lot of debate on the Kilkenny football thread about weaker hurling counties and Cavan is a county that keeps cropping up.

What are the views of Cavan fans about the intercounty hurling team,the county board structures for development and the weekly thrashings they are receiving?Also can Cavan fans provide insight into the proposal to disband the hurling team?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,138 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

There is a lot of debate on the Kilkenny football thread about weaker hurling counties and Cavan is a county that keeps cropping up.

What are the views of Cavan fans about the intercounty hurling team,the county board structures for development and the weekly thrashings they are receiving?Also can Cavan fans provide insight into the proposal to disband the hurling team?

might be a case not just on Cavan though, but for a lot of counties who dont put the same level of interest into hurling. Liam Griffin came out against the Ulster counties who opposed changing rule 42, but did nothing to promote hurling. he saw the irony in that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭Martin567

I don't know the circumstances but it is the case that the Cavan hurlers are losing by phenomenal scorelines against teams which themselves would not be very strong, certainly immeasurably weaker than all the Div 4 football teams apart from Kilkenny. How is this happening?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

There are many problems in Cavan football.

The standard at Championship level on the club scene is very poor, the Gaels have very little competition, skill levels are poor.

The players when they reach county level are happy with that. Happy to be in possession of a county jersey and not interested in much more. Ive seen guys on the morning of Ulster Championship matches worrying about what clothes to wear out that night!!!

The drinking Culture is a joke, 2 day sessions after matches is a joke after a Championship match, win lose or draw. The players who have talent are arrogant and are of the opinion they know it all.

I could say more but I wont. Please feel free to comment agree/disagree

Blackbelt,i commented about the Cavan hurlers situation on that Kilkenny Footballer thread,
    The reason they are so poor this year,is due to them missing a fair few of their best players,many of whom are disillusioned with what was going on within the set-up and certain members of the county board airing views over disbanding the team,didnt help an already precarious situation. Cavan would have a very small Hurling pick as it is,,so taking away some of their best players would have the disasterous effects, we are seeing in the 2011 NHL .If you look at Cavans performances over the last few years,they have won multiple games, in 2010 we beat South Down and Layyytrum ,and lost narrowly against the rest(except for Monaghan who gave us a trimming)
    Yourself excluded, as at least you had the decency to ask about the situation,some of those having a go at the Cavan Hurlers on that thread, might want to look at the improvements they have made over the last few years(2011 excluded obviously), and find out about what is going on behind the scenes before they start their mud-slinging.

There is work going on at underage level,with Cootehill,Baileborough,Kingscourt,Ramor/Munterconnacht and more, all having established underage teams(under 8/under 10) and putting in the work.
    Its going to be 10/12 years im afraid before we will see the benefits.

• Advertisement

Lemlin,Celt262
    id agree with many of your points,and maybe im a bit too optimistic about the current situation in Cavan football.
    I was reading the Cavan GAABoard thread,and there was a comment from a Limerick view that
    "The Cavan defence was, by far, the most porous Limerick have come up against this year".
    What do ye reckon the solution is??

Martin Cahill Dermot Sheridan ??????

John McCutcheon Alan Clarke Mark McKeever/Ronan Flanagan

When you take Gunner and Michael H out of the equation,we are short of options big time.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,020 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Blackbelt,i commented about the Cavan hurlers situation on that Kilkenny Footballer thread,
    The reason they are so poor this year,is due to them missing a fair few of their best players,many of whom are disillusioned with what was going on within the set-up and certain members of the county board airing views over disbanding the team,didnt help an already precarious situation. Cavan would have a very small Hurling pick as it is,,so taking away some of their best players would have the disasterous effects, we are seeing in the 2011 NHL .If you look at Cavans performances over the last few years,they have won multiple games, in 2010 we beat South Down and Layyytrum ,and lost narrowly against the rest(except for Monaghan who gave us a trimming)
    Yourself excluded, as at least you had the decency to ask about the situation,some of those having a go at the Cavan Hurlers on that thread, might want to look at the improvements they have made over the last few years(2011 excluded obviously), and find out about what is going on behind the scenes before they start their mud-slinging.

There is work going on at underage level,with Cootehill,Baileborough,Kingscourt,Ramor/Munterconnacht and more, all having established underage teams(under 8/under 10) and putting in the work.
    Its going to be 10/12 years im afraid before we will see the benefits.

I can see how missing a few of the top players in a relatively small pond would cause the problems, but what I don't understand is why some members of the board were airing views of disbanding. They were doing ok upto this year. Were there a few dual stars and they wanted to make the decision for them? A tad confused by that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭eroo

The players who have talent are arrogant and are of the opinion they know it all.
    Not that I pretend to know anything about Cavan football.. but I had the.. experience.. of a certain Cavan footballer a few times. He fitted your description and more.

Cavan football needs to forget about past glories and start all over imo.

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    I can see how missing a few of the top players in a relatively small pond would cause the problems, but what I don't understand is why some members of the board were airing views of disbanding. They were doing ok upto this year. Were there a few dual stars and they wanted to make the decision for them? A tad confused by that.

To tell you the truth,its actually more than a few of their best players,that they are without,i only recognise about 3/4 names on the team that were annihilated against Longford at the weekend,all the best players from the last few years dont seem to be involved.
    I dont know the reasons behind those members airing their views over the disbanding of the team,they were calling for the money set aside for the senior hurlers set-up to be put entirely into the underage set-up. Those members obviously dont understand that you can have a senior team aswell as promote and improve the underage structures :rolleyes:

With regards to dual players,Supposedly there were problems with some of the Mullahoran players training with their Senior Footballers instead of the county hurlers and this caused ruptions with other players as training attendances were poor at times last year. Seeing as Mullahoran backbone the side,its easy to see how problems and arguments arose.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 poemboy

Does anyone agree that the demise of St.Pat`s,Cavan as a major footballing school has had an effect on the current standard of the blues?

poemboy wrote: »
    Does anyone agree that the demise of St.Pat`s,Cavan as a major footballing school has had an effect on the current standard of the blues?

Agree 100%
    Although the new introduction of the transitition year,hopefully will close that 1 year age disadvantage that St Pats have at McRory level.
    They have always been competitive at Dalton/Corn Na Nog/Brock and Rannafast,Its just the McRory and the age gap,that has always been the problem.
    They won the Dalton in 2010 and the same team finished runners up to Omagh CBS in the Corn na Nog a few weeks ago,so hopefully we will see this team and others coming through to compete with Ulsters elite at McRory in a few years time.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭KeepTheFaith

celt262 wrote: »
    I would disagree with that also.

They are good footballs but to say that they are going to be stars is wrong as none of them have done nothing at IC level as yet.

Jelly does not seem to do it when he is needed and apart form the Wicklow game last year has not done much in Championship games.

Club football in Cavan is poor and the best club players are not making it at IC Level.

I'm sorry but the point on Jelly never doing it when we needed him is just plain incorrect. He did it almost alone against Wicklow last year, the year before he played a stormer in the first round against Fermanagh and was double marked against Antrim, the year before that he destroyed Antrim in the preliminary round in Casement single handedly and was, along with Big Dermot and James Reilly, one of the best performers against Armagh. In the 2007 League he was responsible for something like 70% of our scores.. Johnston is petulant and sometimes selfish but he is our only quality consistent forward who would make any team in Ireland.

The huge problem is our defence.. The forwards against Limerick twice pulled Cavan back into the game after poor defensive play, coming back to level after halftime and again after the first goal. Cavan need to sharpen up at the back. Tactics can't be right if Limerick can walk through unchallenged, they could have had 5 goals. If the individual talent to man mark isn't there then the management need to introduce a system to consolidate the defensive weaknesses. Defend in numbers or employ a sweeper.

I'll be honest, I know nothing about hurling and I have no wish to know anything about Cavan hurling. Like alot of Cavan people, I've no interest in the sport and, to be honest, I don't see the point of having a hurling team either. I'd watch the odd game on television but wouldn't go out of my way to make sure I see it.

There are something like 2 or maybe 3 hurling clubs in the whole of Cavan. Cavan is a county of only 64,000 people. Only Leitrim, Sligo, Roscommon, Monaghan and Longford have a lower population. Have you seen any of them exceed at hurling?

The population just isn't there to support two sports in counties like Cavan. The GAA should focus on getting hurling going in counties like Meath where only one sport is strong despite a population of 160,000 people.

Also, because population is low, alot of teams struggle to field 15 players at some levels in football. I've often seen lads playing minor, U21 and senior football or U10, U12 or U14 for example. Do you think these lads have time for all these training sessions, matches and then hurling as well? It'd lead to total burnout and burnout is a big problem in Cavan as it is.

poemboy wrote: »

I'm not sure it has. St Pat's has dropped off but Virginia has become a force at schools level. The U14 team won the Ulster schools championship at their grade last week and they won a couple of all-irelands there a few years back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,325 ✭✭✭celt262

The huge problem is our defence.. The forwards against Limerick twice pulled Cavan back into the game after poor defensive play, coming back to level after halftime and again after the first goal. Cavan need to sharpen up at the back. Tactics can't be right if Limerick can walk through unchallenged, they could have had 5 goals. If the individual talent to man mark isn't there then the management need to introduce a system to consolidate the defensive weaknesses. Defend in numbers or employ a sweeper.

Point taken on Jelly prob expect to much from him and his good games out number his bad ones.

On the defence i think alot of the pressure that they find themselves under is coming from forwards not tracking back and being alert when the opposition have the ball. In the Waterford game they drove up the field in numbers time after time 3 or 4 of them and not a Cavan man within 20 yards of them. Im not sure if this was the case in the Limerick game but reports would seem to sugest it was. I think that this is an area that needs to be worked on.

Anyway is anyone heading to the U-21 game tomorrow night?

Advertisement