Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Food before race

• 12-07-2012 7:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭

I have an eight mile race coming up next week. It's at 5pm and I am wondering what I should eat during the day of the race? Can some please advise the best food I should eat?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

HOS 1997 wrote: »
    I have an eight mile race coming up next week. It's at 5pm and I am wondering what I should eat during the day of the race? Can some please advise the best food I should eat?

Just have you normal lunch between 1-2pm. I would personally never eat anything within 3 hours of a race.
    Your body holds enough glycogen to last around 18-20 miles so for an 8 mile race you don't have to do anything special.
    Some people like to sip a sports drink an hour or so before the race, but the key is not to do anything that you normally wouldn't do. Assuming you have done some training runs, just do what you would normally do before them.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

As mentioned, don't do anything different on race day. Your pre race prep should be exactly the same as your pre training prep. Some people carb load but for that distance you don't need it. Stick to what you already do and you'll be fine, don't feel you have to eat extra to cope with the race.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭The Guvnor

Top advice above!

Race day is never the day for trying something new as from experience more often than not it throws you off mentally if not physically.

A 5pm race would mean your day is pretty much as it should be and your first few meals should be as they always are.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭HOS 1997

Cheers for the advice folks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭The Guvnor

Let us know how you get on!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

would you not need to load up on slow release carbs for 2 days before a race like that?
    ie wholegrain pasta and rice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    would you not need to load up on slow release carbs for 2 days before a race like that?

No, it's only 8 miles.
    Even for a marathon (or longer) I am not convinced of the need to 'carbo-load'. There is only so much Glycogen the body can hold and everything else will just weigh you down and leave you sluggish.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

You could run that distance on empty if you had to. The body is tougher and can cope with more than we give it credit for.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,920 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    Tying more petrol in the car doesn't make it faster.

Advertisement