Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clonmel, No digital?

• 04-02-2011 11:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭Rojiblancos

Bought the Tv in Lidl thursday, it has mpeg4 and mheg 5 . But I can't seem to get the channels on digital. I can pick up Rte1,2 and TG4 on analog, even then they are a bit grainy. Have a Uhf aerial on the roof so I should have no problem, anyone know what's wrong or what I can do?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Mayo Exile

What are the frequencies of your analogue stations? Could then maybe work out what mast they are coming from. It's also possible that the mast supplying your analogue reception may not yet transmit a DTT signal. Wouldnt know the area. Is DTT available in Clonmel?

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭Rojiblancos

Rte1 623.25, Rte2 647.25, TG4 703.30

I think Dungarvan and Suir Valley are the nearest for DTT. Don't know if its available, I know theres plans to put a mast in Clonmel by the end of 2012 though but Im hoping I can get DTT now

• Registered Users Posts: 15,452 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

I think Dungarvan and Suir Valley are the nearest for DTT. Don't know if its available, I know theres plans to put a mast in Clonmel by the end of 2012 though but Im hoping I can get DTT now

RTÉ1 40H, RTÉ 43H, TG4 50H is the local Clonmel relay. No DTT from there that we know of yet.

Will it be one of the lucky 51 sites to be upgraded? You could drop RTÉNL an email and ask if they plan to upgrade the Clonmel transmitter for DTT.

Suir Valley (CH 52) and Dungarvan (CH 55) are both DTT active.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

Cahir and Kilduff will be on in the Summer. One serves Tip Sth the other Tip Nth AFAIK.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 damo642

Hi,

I bought the following mpeg4 box yesterday and it doesnt work in clonmel

http://www.powercity.ie/?par=10-23-WP11DT&brands=WALKER

if anyone knows when freetoair will work in clonmel that would be great

• Advertisement

The answer above your post ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I doubt Cahir will offer coverage in Clonmel. I think Suir Valley would be a better bet. I don't know if the Clonmel relay will have DTT, RTENL are the best ones to ask on that.

Of course the Clonmel DTT relay serves Tip/Waterford. Infact the Clonmel transmitter is actually described as being in Waterford.

All relays are due to come on between now and June/July.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,338 ✭✭✭cml387

I'm getting DTT up the Cashel Road (not far up) from the transponder.
    The transponder actually is in Waterford,being across the Suir.

im right beside the cashel road roundabout.....and nothing!!

• Advertisement

cml387 - what sort of aerial are you using - i just tried rabbit ears- they work fine for the analog signals but nothing comes through on the walker freeview box

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

STB wrote: »
    Of course the Clonmel DTT relay serves Tip/Waterford. Infact the Clonmel transmitter is actually described as being in Waterford.

All relays are due to come on between now and June/July.
    There's no DTT currently from Clonmel transposer if The Cush is to be believed...

There's no DTT currently from Clonmel transposer if The Cush is to be believed...

Its not on yet. Clonmel is one of the relays due to come on between now and June. Watty's list on Techtir is the list people should consult in the absence of "official" info. RTE will be launching a coverage map fairly soon.

ok - i emailed rtenl and asked them. i will respond when they do...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,338 ✭✭✭cml387

damo642 wrote: »
    cml387 - what sort of aerial are you using - i just tried rabbit ears- they work fine for the analog signals but nothing comes through on the walker freeview box

Sorry,back again.

Loft UHF aerial on Channel 52.

If not from the transponder it must be Suir Valley, maybe it's just that bit of extra height makes the difference.
    The signal strength is not great,but it's perfectly ok picture wise.

Can you not put the aerial on your roof? or even a gable end facing towards pilltown co kilkenny where the suir valley tx is located.
    You lose 20db signal or more by having it in the loft.
    With digital,once you have enough signal,you get picture.
    It's digitally composed.
    It's not like analogue.
    But with low signal,you run the risk of losing pictures at times.

Response from RTEnl:

I’m happy to say that the Clonmel Transposer is due for a DTT upgrade later this year. All going according to plan it will be on air before the summer. Clonmel DTT will be on channel 55, horizontally polarised.

Please note that many areas of Clonmel are already covered by Mt. Leinster, on channel 45, horizontally polarised.

Based on the response above from RTEnl - can someone please tell me what a horizontally polarized aerial is and where i can buy one? is it the same as rabbit ears?
    thanks

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

damo642 wrote: »
    Based on the response above from RTEnl - can someone please tell me what a horizontally polarized aerial is and where i can buy one? is it the same as rabbit ears?
    thanks

Any aerial can be polarized Horizontal (the pins are parallel with the ground) or vertically polarized (pins point up and down).

TVtrade.ie do them for about 10 euro up.

here is what i have : http://www.ricability-digitaltv.org.uk/pages/products/indoor_aerials/index.asp?Product=One%20For%20All%20SV-9140-00-002

- should this work when freetoair is enabled in clonmel?
    It picks up analog fine
    thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Outdoor aerials are recommended. That's as basic an aerial as is possible.

If it doesn't, then forget indoor aerial and get an outdoor one.

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭andrewdeerpark

Just letting all know the DTT from Clonmel is working on channel 55 as posted earlier.

I am up the Cashel Road and using a loft antenna it is perfect.

Only issue now is the Triax TR 110 box with the blank RTE 2; however RTE 2 works on the alternative channel, anyone know when their is a firmware update for this issue and how its downloaded and installed?

Only issue now is the Triax TR 110 box with the blank RTE 2; however RTE 2 works on the alternative channel, anyone know when their is a firmware update for this issue and how its downloaded and installed?

Its a hardware issue, there will be no firmware update.

The receiver can only decode SD video (MPEG4 AVC/H.264 HP@L3.0 SDTV), RTÉ 2 HD (epg# 2) requires MPEG4 AVC/H.264 HP@L4.0 HDTV.

The low bitrate RTÉ 2 SD Temporary channel will disappear on April 18th. To receive RTÉ 2 after that date you will require a new iDTV or STB. The replacement for the Triax TR110 STB is the Saorview certified TR112 (discussed here & here this week). A list of other certified products are on the Saorview website.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Mr McBoatface

The Triax TR110 is incompatible with Saorview as it only has a MPEG4 decoder that works with SD transmissions (MPEG4 Level3) RTE2 is HD which is MPEG4 Level4. Many of these boxes where mis-sold as compatible if you can bring it back to the retailer and get your money back. There is no fix for this.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056113027&highlight=Triax+TR110

Thanks Guys ordered the TR112 from the local supplier: Doyle TV. Just curious is the TR112 a HDMI connection to the TV so?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭Teddy455

Thanks Guys ordered the TR112 from the local supplier: Doyle TV. Just curious is the TR112 a HDMI connection to the TV so?

Its HDMI or SCART.

Do dolye tv have a website?
    who much did i cost?
    where did they purchase the stb?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭ Daniel Small Quote

How much is the TR112 retailing at and whats the waiting time

HDMI and scart - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=70586489&postcount=63.
    Using an approved STB:

• HD and / or SD services carried on DTT will be viewable on any HD-ready TV (SAORVIEW approved or not) via a HDMI lead connected between the TV and a STB. HD services will appear as HD and SD as SD.
    • HD and / or SD services carried on DTT will be viewable on legacy TV set with a SCART socket, via a SCART lead connected between the TV set and a STB.
    • HD and / or SD services carried on DTT will be viewable on legacy TV sets, without a SCART socket, via a SCART to RF Modulator/Adaptor and SCART lead connected between the TV and a STB.
    • SAORVIEW approved iDTVs will display HD as HD and SD as SD.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

ALL Saorview Certified and "Freeview HD" certified TVs must support SCART and HDMI.

HDMI can have upscaled SD, SCART is always Down scaled HD.

• Advertisement

Contact Details are

Benard Doyle
    Doyles TV
    5 Parnell Street
    Clonmel
    Co. Tipperary
    052 6122170

Man is old school, does not do website.

I do not have a price, I just ordered it, he had 1 spare TR110 that he loaned me (explaining the RTE 2 issue) the lead time for TR112 is the end of the month and I believe that is countrywide.

Advertisement