Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seven-year old announces he's gay

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭xsiborg

What tell tail sign are there that a child is straight at 7 years old? Are there any? Do you just assume they're straight?

i think you actually answered your own question further down in your own post PP, or was that meant to be a rhetorical question?

there are no such things as "tell tale" anything that will allow you to determine a person's sexual orientation, that is something only the person themselves can determine for themselves, unless of course as i alluded to earlier, an observer uses stereotyping to determine another person's sexual orientation so they can label and assign them a specific category that makes the observer feel more comfortable within themselves-

"ok, he has flimsy wrists, classic tell tale sign, he must be the ghey, and check out that salmon colored shirt, no straight man would wear THAT! ahh, category assigned, i can sleep easier now at night assuming that".

you see where im coming from? as i said, you really answered your own question in your own post- in an ideal world we would assume nothing, as it only serves to cloud and prejudice our judgement, but, we're all human, we all do it, as hard as we try not to.
    People seem to think that your sexual orientation is something that is imparted on you by your parents, it's not.

I'm gay, and I think, looking back now to some of my earlier memories from primary school, that there may have been some tell tail signs that I was gay - but I would never have had the ability at that age to define it.

It wasn't anything to do with how I acted (if you think all gay people are effeminate, you're wrong - I've always had a masculine disposition and being gay doesn't hinder that) but the way I looked at other guys my age.

It more or less occurred to me in stage that I was attracted to guys at about 11/12, then I realised that I was gay (to put a word on it) by about 14/15.

If this 7 y/o was genuinely gay, it would become far more apparent by the time the child reaches puberty. If the child wasn't genuinely gay, then it would become progressively harder for the child to conceal this fact when they reach puberty.

I'd also like to point out, a male child who like "girly" stuff doesn't really mean he's gay or straight. Let's be clear on this, being gay is a matter of sexual attraction, not disposition. Sexual orientation doesn't point towards gender confusion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Pacifist Pigeon

xsiborg wrote: »
    here's news for her- her child is no longer unique or special, "my kid is gay" is so 2000 and late, the media has now moved on to "my kid is transgendered" as the next big "lets all gawk voyeuristically at the freaks" story, not so cleverly disguised as an "aren't we all so accepting and tolerant", "informative article".

Let me point this out, for a parent to say "my 7 y/o son is straight" is wholly premature as well, in my opinion. Given the fact that apparently around 10% of males are gay and another 20% of males vary from bisexual to bicurious, statistically, the parent could never be 100% sure that her prepubescent child was totally straight.

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    Ah, but you labeled her loony liberal in your... post... ages ago... ****, I really am harping on, amn't I? Sorry! Seriously, she's a journalist reporting a cutesy child story. That's about it. It's a bloody blog, for heaven's sake!

i did label her a loony liberal because this is the way she wants to be perceived, ok not as a loony, but certainly as a liberal, taken from the word liberated, which would imply that she perceives herself to be non-judgemental. but, as i also pointed out in that post, she feels the need to explain herself in the "im not racist, but..." fashion.

you are absolutely not harping on either Ikky, you are making some interesting and valid points, and normally i would dismiss this as a harmless and cutesy child story, if i was told it by my next door neighbour. yes, their attitude would raise an eyebrow, but i'd think no more of it as they are not exposing the child to the world's media to be foisted upon some sort of imaginary liberated revolutionary thinker's pedestal.

it IS a blog Ikky, and that was my point, as a journalist, her blog garners her an already captive audience over which she would have considerable influence for her cutesy child stories. i just dont see her putting up there how he came home from school today with an A in maths, no, more important to her is the fact he now identifies himself as gay.

and that might be fine for her, but when her little boy goes into school and announces to his classmates that he is gay (and chances are he will, you wouldn't believe the embarrassing stuff my child writes in his news copy that HE doesnt see as embarrassing!), chances are that some of his classmates may not take so kindly to his newly discovered sexual identity, and will we then see the same blog author write a cutesy story about how her son "suffered his first gay-bashing today!".
    I said she didn't make an issue to the child. He seems quite happy the way things were handled. Certainly no shame or guilt and i doubt he's going to be reading the blog!

she didnt make an issue to the child simply because she's a loony toon, and before you accuse me of labelling her, i never said i was immune from the practice either, in fact i admitted that as i am merely a human being, it's in my nature to label and assume, based on the facts presented before me, and i think it's pretty safe to say that her twisted sense of what it is to be a tolerant and liberated thinker, falls way short of general societies standards.

the child seems quite happy with the way things were handled simply because as another poster said- he received positive reinforcement for his attention seeking. he now sees that the way to get his mother's attention and affection is to announce every so often that he wants a character on a tv show to be his boyfriend. other people though that he might seek such positive reinforcement from though, may not share the same sentiments as his mother. all she said to him was "i love you too son", as she rubbed his nose.

i wanted pamela anderson to be my girlfriend back in the days of baywatch. i was rather abrubtly and rightly so told that she is just an actress in a role, playing a tv character, it's not real. its simply meant for entertainment.

as for feeling shame or guilt- why would he feel any shame or guilt if its not pointed out to him that such behaviour is not appropriate, neither is it appropriate for a child of his age and mental development to be watching a show that in an attempt to turn stereotyping on it's head, has done nothing but tried to tick every one of society's stereotypical "minority groups"-

we have the jock, we have the bad girl who feels like an outcast, we have the kid in the wheelchair (who can actually walk in real life, but best not to spoil the child's enjoyment of the show by explaining he is only acting in a role), we have the chinese girl, and of course the two-in-one combo, the overweight black girl.

as for the chances of the child reading the blog, do you remember a band called "the offspring" that had a comeback in the mid 90's with that song "pretty fly for a white guy"? i happened to be friendly with the lead singers ex-wife for a while, and their daughter, now in her 20's, has her own solo career as a singer. their daughter will still be able to read about her father's exploits on blogs, vlogs, hell, pretty much any medium you can think of, even print media.

this wagon's woman's child will be able to do the very same thing. how many times have we heard the classic taunt uttered in the school-yard- "hey, i saw your mother on the internet last night!". now it's a case of, they really WILL be able to see this child's mother on the internet last night, and a couple of mouse clicks through her archives, or a non too resourceful throw a couple of keywords into a wayback engine- boom! "my seven year old identifies himself as gay!". that'll be an awkward one to explain to the girlfriend. already people do google and facebook searches on their potential partners, so imagine another ten years of the oh so cutesy child stories that are going to blow up in that kid's face. already i can see the epic facepalms and "awh mom!"s.

But if you can get someone to pay you for writing about your child in a harmless unintrusive way, wouldn't you?

to be perfectly honest, even as i write this now, i am more than acutely aware that i have violated my child's right to privacy by posting about his personal life on an internet forum. once you reference another person, you are immediately invading their right to privacy. you have not asked their permission, and certainly if this woman can make the proud boast to the world that her child has the maturity or is at the mentally developed stage to be able to "identify himself as gay", then surely she should assume that he also has the mental capacity to grant or deny her permission to proclaim said claim to the world.

ps. you hardly think im going to see a penny from boards.ie or daft media for writing this now, do you? so the answer to that question is no, i would not take payment for invading my child's right to privacy, because to me that'd be like pimping out my child so i could collect a fat cheque to go buy myself a new laptop, enabling me to write even more cutesy child stories, thereby invading his privacy even more so i had something to write about, and if i was a journalist and getting paid by the word, hell, i'd be minted with this post alone!

Seriously, it's like the plush pieces you read about in womens mags all the time.

seriously, hard to believe and all as it may be, this is the very reason i avoid most womens magazines (i say most, because the odd time i will find an interesting piece in cosmo, which my wife buys). consider this post as a futile attempt to vent my frustration at exactly these types of "vacuous bumf" attention seeking opinion pieces masquerading as articles, unworthy of any sort of recognition and devoid of any journalistic integrity. this woman has let her profession down, she has let herself down, and worst of all, she has let her son down.

Let me point this out, for a parent to say "my 7 y/o son is straight" is wholly premature as well, in my opinion. Given the fact that apparently around 10% of males are gay and another 20% of males vary from bisexual to bicurious, statistically, the parent could never be 100% sure that her prepubescent child was totally straight.

absolutely agree with you here PP, without even giving any regard to your statistics, but my point is that "my 7 y/o son is straight" will never catch on as a headline, unless we were a predominantly quiltbag or other sexuality society and cisgender persons were in the minority.

my issue here is not with the child's sexuality, and i would prefer if the discussion didnt descend into a terminology session, i am merely an average intelligence observer of a person who i deem to have behaved in a completely inappropriate manner who forgot that she is a mother first and foremost, with a duty of care towards the safety, welfare, and well being of her child, before she is ever a journalist.

she knew what she was doing, you don't get to be a journalist without some level of academic intelligence and knowledge of privacy laws and a journalistic code of ethics. she blurred the line between her role as a mother, and her role as a journalist, knowing full well the potential consequences her sensationalist actions would cause.

but she chose to take an action that would gain her popularity among her peers and friends, and not to mention website traffic so the world's media could indulge in yet more of her inane ramblings. she chose to be selfish, and in doing so has created an environment now where the child as i said, has been so cruelly "outed" on the internet, and even for now, without his knowledge, just so mommy dearest could collect a fat cheque, and pats on the back all round. good for her. idiot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭IrishEyes19

hmm, I wouldn't even take my son saying that at seven until he reached the age where "the talk" has to come up and Id be more observant then. A seven year old is innocent and open to anything, they believe anything and are more accepting to society and oddities than adults are.

as for the mother, just a quick observation, but she seems almost proud of her "project" they way her reaction is described. I'm not exactly sure how credible that is to be honest.

• Advertisement

hmm, I wouldn't even take my son saying that at seven until he reached the age where "the talk" has to come up and Id be more observant then. A seven year old is innocent and open to anything, they believe anything and are more accepting to society and oddities than adults are.

as for the mother, just a quick observation, but she seems almost proud of her "project" they way her reaction is described. I'm not exactly sure how credible that is to be honest.

thank you, every word of this, puts it far more succinctly than my rather long winded attempts.

i went back to the OP last night, clicked on the link, saw that she writes for the gay huffington post, read a few more of her blog posts, and was actually disgusted with myself for having bothered taking this so seriously in the first place.

it made me want to bathe my eyes in bleach so saccharine sweet was its content and oh boy how it smacked of self importance and 'how great am i people? eh? eh? let me know in the comments, and on twitter too!'.

her embarrassing musings she calls her blog should actually carry the headline 'mother willing to pimp out her son, seeks validation and approval from "the gheys"'.

i think any individual, regardless of their sexuality or orientation, should regard this woman and her motivations for blogging about her 6 year old 'might be gay son' to 'outing' him, with an incredibly high degree of scepticism.

i still didnt see any sign of a maths report for her son though, only more verbal diahorrea about her sons assumed "crush" on said tv character, which, even now i would call under suspicion, given the fact that she is obviously is trying to push her own 'idiots agenda'- 'its oh-kay to be ghey'...

yeah, we've known that since the sixties and early seventies sweetheart, when better and far more intelligent people than yourself fought for equality and the rights of gay men and women all over america, and lived and breathed their cause, sacrificing themselves for it, and not their innocent offspring!

people that it was far easier to believe in and admire, people like harvey milk to name but one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Pacifist Pigeon

i think you actually answered your own question further down in your own post PP, or was that meant to be a rhetorical question?

there are no such things as "tell tale" anything that will allow you to determine a person's sexual orientation, that is something only the person themselves can determine for themselves, unless of course as i alluded to earlier, an observer uses stereotyping to determine another person's sexual orientation so they can label and assign them a specific category that makes the observer feel more comfortable within themselves-

"ok, he has flimsy wrists, classic tell tale sign, he must be the ghey, and check out that salmon colored shirt, no straight man would wear THAT! ahh, category assigned, i can sleep easier now at night assuming that".

you see where im coming from? as i said, you really answered your own question in your own post- in an ideal world we would assume nothing, as it only serves to cloud and prejudice our judgement, but, we're all human, we all do it, as hard as we try not to.

I wasn't posing a question, it was merely rhetorical.

By tell tail signs, I wasn't talking about the stereotypes that I was alluding to in my previous post.

The tell tail signs I alluded to were, looking back now, probably an indication of greater attraction to the male figure rather than the female figure - nothing to do with my disposition; how I carried myself. Again, this is looking back at childhood memories, it would have been impossible for me to quantitatively understand these feelings then and I imagine they would have been hard for anyone else to record or quantify because they were so slight. I am the only person who can wholly reflect on these memories, and given the fact that I am a lot older now and still posses these memories, it is possible for me to quantify them a little now.

Referring to my first point about not being able to define a 7 year old's sexuality (straight/gay or other), this is true. You would not really be able to define these things because (a) the child wouldn't be able to understand his/her feelings at that point and (b) would not have been able to act on those feelings.

I agree with you though. I think it's highly inappropriate for the mother to represent her child's sexual orientation at such a young age. He might not turn out to be gay, then what?

In hindsight, it'd be a bit like what gay people have to deal with when they come out to their parents, who initially thought that they were straight; most parents would initially suspect their child to be straight.

Parents have their expectations, they'd natural expect their child to be straight, to get married (non same-sex) and have kids of their own; they'd advocate this before their child had the ability to reason. I'm sure if you ask an average parent of a 7/8 y/o child if they thought their child was gay, more often than not they would say they thought their child wasn't gay. I would say that that's also an inappropriate position as, again, I don't think a parent can represent their child's sexual orientation at that age.

I think parents should be completely ambivalent and non-representative of their child's sexual orientation until the child reaches maturity, perhaps. Let the child figure it out for themselves whether it be straight or gay.

The woman who wrote that article seems to me to be using her child and putting him on the spot. Quite worrying come to think of it. I don't know if it was her career or the welfare of her child she had more in mind.

was just organising some stuff here and i came across this post i made a while back in a thread about parents who were purporting to raise their child as genderless, or "gender neutral" if you will, i just thought i'd post it here as it seems relevant to the topic of parents nowadays who seem to foist their children on pedestals as role models for society, as opposed to the parents themselves being role models for their children-
    i dont mean any disrespect to you deirdre but what really now are the chances that a couple has three intersex children? these parents are supposed to act as role models for their children. that means they should be guiding them, not letting them decide anything for themselves because as i previously stated, their brains are not yet developed enough to understand the concept of gender identity, let alone stereotyping. the idea of a child deciding what gender they are suits deirdre based on hindsight of HER OWN personal experiences, not those of her parents, who chose to raise her in what i can only assume is the best way they knew how, based on THEIR own personal experiences.

the parents of these children in this particular case, could have raised their children by their own beliefs and need not have courted the media's attention in doing so. simply the fact that they chose to court media attention puts even more pressure on the children. again we do not know the long term effects this attention will have on the children, or how it will influence their thought processses.

the point i guess i am trying to make here is that these parents decisions have far more reaching consequences for their children than just playground taunts and so on, they will perhaps unnecessarily face issues that deirdre will have faced. i think deirdre you will accept that now that your sexual identity matches your gender identity, you finally feel like you "fit in" to society? these parents however, seem intent though on creating problems for their children where there werent any- "fix" one problem (gender stereotyping), but create a hundred more, as it were (social, educational, future employment prospects, future relationships).

it is impossible to qualify without hindsight, the pros and cons of the parents decision to effectively and knowingly, raise their children in abstentia from the influence of their typical role model genders. and yes, i understand that the parents believe that what they are doing is the "right" thing to do, but to effectively fly in the face of millions of years of evolution does seem a tad huberous.

im past the whole "genderless" idea at this stage because to me the term is a bit of a misnomer, as deirdre said you ARE born with a gender, but its the stereotype of that gender that these parents seem to be trying to dismiss.

i just think there are better ways of going about it, like educating your child to form independent thought, not just abdicating your responsibility as a parent to teach a child what it means to have an independent thought, teach a child that society is not always accepting of those that do not follow the stereotypical norm, but instill in them a strength and courage so that they can face the consequences of decisions that the children themselves make, so that they grasp the concept that decisions they make can have both positive AND negative consequences.

these parents seem to want to have their cake and eat it too, they stand back from being gender role models for their children, yet i cant see the father wearing a dress, or the mother shaving her head any time soon, (the idea being to practice what they preach), they home school their children, in effect sheltering them from society, yet court the world's media to further their own agenda, regardless of having asked whether the children want to be paraded as an object of (lets be honest here) scorn and ridicule, for the media. again the children are not old enough to grasp the concept that the world's media really couldn't give a flying f*ck about the parents idealogies, they just want to parade the "freak show family" for ratings and headline grabbing, it has nothing to do with creating awareness of an the issue of gender stereotyping.

hell i even see now that the discovery channel, which used be about interesting and factual thought provoking documentaries has gone down the "shock factor" route with a program on the other night something along the lines of "my seven year old transgender child", something like that, headline grabbing sensationalism basically of what for many is a very serious issue and quite distinct from gender stereotyping in the societal sense of the phrase gender stereotyping.

actually this comes only a week after there was an oprah show about this very subject of a couple raising genderless children. in fact im seeing an awful lot more of this kind of thing on television and in the media lately, perhaps that's what's getting on my wick about this issue, the fact that the media treats it as a freak show masquerading as "creating awareness of a serious issue".

this for example-

http://www.queerty.com/all-of-america-is-falling-in-love-with-princess-boy-dyson-kilodavis-20110103/

EDIT: jesus christ, i hadn't meant to go on THAT long! sorry for TL;DR... :o

from here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=72432323&postcount=210

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭rainbowdrop

i was at a relative of my wife's birthday party one day, it was her child's birthday, i was having a great day, few whiskey's down, next thing i heard a voice behind me say "get out of my way, gay-boy!", i turned around and had to look down and there was a little six/seven year old girl with an unpleasantly scowly face on her. instinctively i suppose, i just came out with "go fúck yourself!".

I thanked your post just for this bit. You should have drop-kicked her on her forehead, that'll learn her not to be calling adults names..........:P

• Registered Users Posts: 32,951 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

[QUOTE=xsiborg;77241343 but i'd think no more of it as they are not exposing the child to the world's media to be foisted upon some sort of imaginary liberated revolutionary thinker's pedestal.
    [/QUOTE]

But in a candid and upbeat way. She's just commenting on one of her life experiences, she's not puttin gthe child up ona pedestal or using him for a politcal stance or anything.
    it IS a blog Ikky, and that was my point, as a journalist, her blog garners her an already captive audience over which she would have considerable influence for her cutesy child stories. i just dont see her putting up there how he came home from school today with an A in maths, no, more important to her is the fact he now identifies himself as gay.
    Because that would bore the pants off people! The situation heer is both intersting and an unsual angle.
    and that might be fine for her, but when her little boy goes into school and announces to his classmates that he is gay (and chances are he will, you wouldn't believe the embarrassing stuff my child writes in his news copy that HE doesnt see as embarrassing!), chances are that some of his classmates may not take so kindly to his newly discovered sexual identity, and will we then see the same blog author write a cutesy story about how her son "suffered his first gay-bashing today!".
    That may or may not happen, but the chances of it happening are not going to change because she wrote about it in her blog.
    she didnt make an issue to the child simply because she's a loony toon, and before you accuse me of labelling her, i never said i was immune from the practice either, in fact i admitted that as i am merely a human being, it's in my nature to label and assume, based on the facts presented before me, and i think it's pretty safe to say that her twisted sense of what it is to be a tolerant and liberated thinker, falls way short of general societies standards.
    Wow, dangerous ground here. "General societies standards" -- which are what exactly? And dictated by whom? If Society dictates that she NOT be tolerant and liberal, something's gone wrong with society. That or you're in Oklahoma.

Also, sre you suggesting, from the first sentence, that makign an issue would be the non "loony toon" way of dealign with it?

the child seems quite happy with the way things were handled simply because as another poster said- he received positive reinforcement for his attention seeking. he now sees that the way to get his mother's attention and affection is to announce every so often that he wants a character on a tv show to be his boyfriend. other people though that he might seek such positive reinforcement from though, may not share the same sentiments as his mother. all she said to him was "i love you too son", as she rubbed his nose.

i wanted pamela anderson to be my girlfriend back in the days of baywatch. i was rather abrubtly and rightly so told that she is just an actress in a role, playing a tv character, it's not real. its simply meant for entertainment.

as for feeling shame or guilt- why would he feel any shame or guilt if its not pointed out to him that such behaviour is not appropriate, neither is it appropriate for a child of his age and mental development to be watching a show that in an attempt to turn stereotyping on it's head, has done nothing but tried to tick every one of society's stereotypical "minority groups"-

we have the jock, we have the bad girl who feels like an outcast, we have the kid in the wheelchair (who can actually walk in real life, but best not to spoil the child's enjoyment of the show by explaining he is only acting in a role), we have the chinese girl, and of course the two-in-one combo, the overweight black girl.

as for the chances of the child reading the blog, do you remember a band called "the offspring" that had a comeback in the mid 90's with that song "pretty fly for a white guy"? i happened to be friendly with the lead singers ex-wife for a while, and their daughter, now in her 20's, has her own solo career as a singer. their daughter will still be able to read about her father's exploits on blogs, vlogs, hell, pretty much any medium you can think of, even print media.

this wagon's woman's child will be able to do the very same thing. how many times have we heard the classic taunt uttered in the school-yard- "hey, i saw your mother on the internet last night!". now it's a case of, they really WILL be able to see this child's mother on the internet last night, and a couple of mouse clicks through her archives, or a non too resourceful throw a couple of keywords into a wayback engine- boom! "my seven year old identifies himself as gay!". that'll be an awkward one to explain to the girlfriend. already people do google and facebook searches on their potential partners, so imagine another ten years of the oh so cutesy child stories that are going to blow up in that kid's face. already i can see the epic facepalms and "awh mom!"s.

to be perfectly honest, even as i write this now, i am more than acutely aware that i have violated my child's right to privacy by posting about his personal life on an internet forum. once you reference another person, you are immediately invading their right to privacy. you have not asked their permission, and certainly if this woman can make the proud boast to the world that her child has the maturity or is at the mentally developed stage to be able to "identify himself as gay", then surely she should assume that he also has the mental capacity to grant or deny her permission to proclaim said claim to the world.

ps. you hardly think im going to see a penny from boards.ie or daft media for writing this now, do you? so the answer to that question is no, i would not take payment for invading my child's right to privacy, because to me that'd be like pimping out my child so i could collect a fat cheque to go buy myself a new laptop, enabling me to write even more cutesy child stories, thereby invading his privacy even more so i had something to write about, and if i was a journalist and getting paid by the word, hell, i'd be minted with this post alone!

seriously, hard to believe and all as it may be, this is the very reason i avoid most womens magazines (i say most, because the odd time i will find an interesting piece in cosmo, which my wife buys). consider this post as a futile attempt to vent my frustration at exactly these types of "vacuous bumf" attention seeking opinion pieces masquerading as articles, unworthy of any sort of recognition and devoid of any journalistic integrity. this woman has let her profession down, she has let herself down, and worst of all, she has let her son down.

I'm getting the impression here that you want everyone to fit into little orles and little boxes and anyone who doesn;t should be treaeted as a "loony toon" to use your phrase. Life doesn't work like that.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement

ikky do you read my posts at all or even the posts of others here to see the efforts that have been made not to make this a classic "i wins the internet" debate?

you are picking and poking and then taking broadstrokes at my posts while i have attempted to address each of your points individually, which, to be honest IS an effort with all the quoting, copying to new window, refer back to your post, address your next point, etc.

at least i am making some attempt to see eye to eye with you so that we all could have a better understanding of where each other is coming from, so if you will bear with me as i certainly will attempt to address each of your points and explain myself better with each one.

unfortunately my brain has switched off for the night so i lack the focus and concentration at the moment to be able to formulate a coherent reply to each of the points you made there in your last post, so if you will bear with me, i will come back to this thread in the morning and do my best to give you a better understanding of where im coming from.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

Quick comment -More like seven year old announces he'd like to be gay so much that he claims he is gay. Is traditional masculinity failing to capture the imagination of this young boy for some reason?

ikky do you read my posts at all or even the posts of others here to see the efforts that have been made not to make this a classic "i wins the internet" debate?

you are picking and poking and then taking broadstrokes at my posts while i have attempted to address each of your points individually, which, to be honest IS an effort with all the quoting, copying to new window, refer back to your post, address your next point, etc.

at least i am making some attempt to see eye to eye with you so that we all could have a better understanding of where each other is coming from, so if you will bear with me as i certainly will attempt to address each of your points and explain myself better with each one.

unfortunately my brain has switched off for the night so i lack the focus and concentration at the moment to be able to formulate a coherent reply to each of the points you made there in your last post, so if you will bear with me, i will come back to this thread in the morning and do my best to give you a better understanding of where im coming from.

I've only made one point - it's hamrless and tolerant. Beyoind that, what's the problem? Should I not read everything? Is "I wins the internet" some sort of attempt at claiming the moral high-ground?

I've only made one point - it's hamrless and tolerant. Beyoind that, what's the problem? Should I not read everything? Is "I wins the internet" some sort of attempt at claiming the moral high-ground?

ikky honestly now, i respectfully suggest you take that chip off your shoulder, nobody is claiming any "moral high-ground" here, only a discussion of whether this woman showed any common sense, decency, or respect for her son's privacy and his welfare.

this is not just some one off cutesy filler story, i went and read her blog, several entries in fact, i made the effort to try and attain a better understanding of this woman's mindset that she would think it's ok to violate her son's right to his privacy first off, and then use him to actively promote only her one sided view of sexuality, therefore focussing the childs mind on their sexuality above the many other things she COULD be and actually SHOULD be teaching him, like perhaps sitting down with him when he's doing his maths homework and questioning does he understand the concepts of basic mathematics, or geography, rather than actively engaging him to focus and hone in on his sexuality at this stageof his mental development.

knowledge and informing your child ikky and bettering their understanding of their world around them should be a parents primary concern at the age her child is at. what she is doing is placing an unjustifiable emphasis on the child's sexuality, and almost pushing and pressuring him- "if you want to please mommy, and you want mommy to be happy, and you want mommy's affections, you'll be a good little gay".

to my understanding at least, the only time his sexuality will ever be relevant is if he decides he wants a career in the porn industry, although if the child is straight- gay for pay certainly pays more.

i would hope this childs parents have higher aspirations for their child than a very short lived career as a porn star.

have a read of this and see what you make of it:

reading the OP reminded me of an incident that happened to me once-

my own son was only about four at the time when a week earlier i had purchased a rather fancy universal remote control for €250; so i happened to be on the phone talking and when i came back into the room, there was no sign of the remote, i looked at my son, who was looking at the fish tank! i thought "no, no way!", but there it was, like a fancy aquarium ornament, and he looked back at me and he knew he'd done wrong from the withered expression on my face.

i thought "what could i do? its a bloody remote, i shouldn't have left it within his reach in the first place!", i just fished it out as if nothing had happened, and retrieved the sky remote from the drawer.

then later on when i thought about it, i remembered when I was about four years of age and i picked my mother some flowers i saw growing at the bottom of the garden, i had no concept of the idea that they were my fathers prized african lillies; of course when my father saw what i had done, i was beaten black and blue.

moral of the story?

you can always replace or repair material things that are damaged, but you can never undo the damage you do to a child.

the do-gooders can make all the excuses thay want for this woman, but the fact remains- it was a fúcking tv, there simply is NO "excuse" or "she might have done it because"... again, there is NO excuse to beat a child.

from here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=72901878

ikky honestly now, i respectfully suggest you take that chip off your shoulder, nobody is claiming any "moral high-ground" here, only a discussion of whether this woman showed any common sense, decency, or respect for her son's privacy and his welfare.

this is not just some one off cutesy filler story, i went and read her blog, several entries in fact, i made the effort to try and attain a better understanding of this woman's mindset that she would think it's ok to violate her son's right to his privacy first off, and then use him to actively promote only her one sided view of sexuality, therefore focussing the childs mind on their sexuality above the many other things she COULD be and actually SHOULD be teaching him, like perhaps sitting down with him when he's doing his maths homework and questioning does he understand the concepts of basic mathematics, or geography, rather than actively engaging him to focus and hone in on his sexuality at this stageof his mental development.

knowledge and informing your child ikky and bettering their understanding of their world around them should be a parents primary concern at the age her child is at. what she is doing is placing an unjustifiable emphasis on the child's sexuality, and almost pushing and pressuring him- "if you want to please mommy, and you want mommy to be happy, and you want mommy's affections, you'll be a good little gay".

to my understanding at least, the only time his sexuality will ever be relevant is if he decides he wants a career in the porn industry, although if the child is straight- gay for pay certainly pays more.

i would hope this childs parents have higher aspirations for their child than a very short lived career as a porn star.

have a read of this and see what you make of it:

from here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=72901878

I have read it. Pretty sure I've read all sorts of similar stuff. I've also read hundreds of journlaists write about their familes and kids, both anecdotallty and seriously. I think you're main problem with it is that you're either anti-liberal or anti-gay. That or you think any incident of a childs life can instantly traumatise him for life if a parent talks or writesabout it.

The problem is caused when people over react to it and drag it on and on and on. Won't someone plrase think of the children?

We did. It's done. Dusted. Move on. I am. Good night.

ToddyDoody wrote: »
    Quick comment -More like seven year old announces he'd like to be gay so much that he claims he is gay. Is traditional masculinity failing to capture the imagination of this young boy for some reason?

quick comment, but an even quicker answer as i am off to bed for now

quite frankly- yes, the reason that traditional masculinity is failing to capture this childs imagination is because the father is failing to step up to the plate and act as a role model to his son, thereby deferring all parental duties to his his wife and allowing her to shove her gay agenda views down the poor child's throat, leaving him ill-informed to be able to develop the necessary tools to be able to determine and express his own identity (notice i stress "identity" as a whole person, and not just his sexual identity).

I have read it. Pretty sure I've read all sorts of similar stuff. I've also read hundreds of journlaists write about their familes and kids, both anecdotallty and seriously. I think you're main problem with it is that you're either anti-liberal or anti-gay. That or you think any incident of a childs life can instantly traumatise him for life if a parent talks or writesabout it.

The problem is caused when people over react to it and drag it on and on and on. Won't someone plrase think of the children?

We did. It's done. Dusted. Move on. I am. Good night.

thank you for being so closed minded, i would have liked to develop a better understanding of where you were coming from, but because you have now judged and labelled me as anti-gay or anti-liberal (do you feel better now that you have been able to categorise me in those terms? don't worry, rhetorical question), and because you have closed your mind to further understanding, it is unfortunate that i too must endevour to seek answers and opinions to many questions i have from more well informed, articulate, tolerant and open minded sources.

as for the "think of the children" comment, this woman is a perfect example of what happens when we fail to put our children's welfare and well being above our own selfish needs, our own need for attention and our own need to feel validated.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 92 ✭✭missyb

Mummy is no doubt going to cash in on the exposure... you can just see her now doing all the Talk shows over there.

Whether the kid is gay is by the by (aghhhhh, pun again), why should she be advertising it to the whole world? Surely it is his business.

I agree,this is much more for her benefit than for his,its his business either way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

ToddyDoody wrote: »

quick comment, but an even quicker answer as i am off to bed for now

quite frankly- yes, the reason that traditional masculinity is failing to capture this childs imagination is because the father is failing to step up to the plate and act as a role model to his son, thereby deferring all parental duties to his his wife and allowing her to shove her gay agenda views down the poor child's throat, leaving him ill-informed to be able to develop the necessary tools to be able to determine and express his own identity (notice i stress "identity" as a whole person, and not just his sexual identity).
    I hope to feck your being sarcastic

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭cgcsb

When I was 7, Batman and Robin came out and I was completely madly in love with Chris O'Donnel(I'm a man btw). At this stage, I thought that every other boy in the world felt that way for other boys. Around the same time, I heard the word "gay" somewhere used in a negative context and I asked my brother what it meant, he told me that it was a boy who kisses other boys.

And from then on it dawned on me, that most people did not feel the same way as me and that "gay" was just the most taboo thing in the world, queue 10 years of repression and depression.

So considering my experience, I'm quite happy for this little chap to express himself. I don't think it would have been possible for me to be that open at that age.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

cgcsb wrote: »
    When I was 7, Batman and Robin came out and I was completely madly in love with Chris O'Donnel(I'm a man btw). At this stage, I thought that every other boy in the world felt that way for other boys. Around the same time, I heard the word "gay" somewhere used in a negative context and I asked my brother what it meant, he told me that it was a boy who kisses other boys.

And from then on it dawned on me, that most people did not feel the same way as me and that "gay" was just the most taboo thing in the world, queue 10 years of repression and depression.

So considering my experience, I'm quite happy for this little chap to express himself. I don't think it would have been possible for me to be that open at that age.

Did you not feel anything at all for George Clooney? :eek:

johnr1 wrote: »
    I gave my pocket money to my mum to buy a birthday present for a girl I liked when I was about 4. (this was before birthday parties were the norm) Then I was too shy to give it to her, and had to get my mom to give it to her mom for her :o

Awwwwww, very cute.

Caraville wrote: »
    having sexual feelings towards them at 7 is just a bit sad to me. Where's the innocence?? :(

I was an early bloomer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭paddyismaddy

i wanted to be ba from ateam actually still do so pity the fool that mocks me :o

the kid probably said as a joke and not mammy is cashing in

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Immaculate Pasta

From the international coverage this story has received, whether this kid turns straight or remains gay when he grows older, he'll still always be known as the gay seven year old kid. And for that I feel sorry for him. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

i have raised four children, and i know for a fact, they did not know what the word, gay, meant, but they did know all about santa, they were children one thought he was superman, he watched superman,

token101 wrote: »
    He doesn't have a crush on the guy in Glee, he's seen him and wants to be like him.

Did u not have crushes at that age? I know that I did.

Did you not feel anything at all for George Clooney? :eek:

not in the slightest. But my reaction to Chris O'Donnell was , to be honest an erectile one. I was an early bloomer as I said though.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Andy!!

Was is it the nipples on the suit that did it for you?

200px-Robin_Batman_%26_Robin.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Andy!!

it reminds me of the way that my own seven year old son here (well, not here right now, as he's in school), but he used sometimes act out in an uber-effeminate way because he knews it got him attention. he used see my facepalm reaction, but after a while i just became indifferent. now when he does a hips out to the sides walk towards me with the big "problem?" grin on his face, i just say "yeah, whatever!".

I can smell the fear you have of your son ending up gay from all the way over here.

Advertisement