Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do tall people have a running advantage?

• 13-04-2011 8:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭acurno

Just talking to a colleague of mine about marathon running. Now she's 5 foot while I'm 6'2. Obviously my natural stride is far longer than hers, so would I be right in assuming if two people had the same level of fitness, but at different heights, then clearly the taller person would run a quicker marathon?Or any distance really?

Anyway of calculating how to negate this handicap!? Is my 3.08 marathon pb for a 6'2er comparable in energy spent to a 3.30 5 footer?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,099 ✭✭✭plodder

I was just about to agree with you, and then checked Haile Gebrselassie's height. He's only 5'5", so I don't know. I guess the length of your legs (as opposed to simple height) is one of many factors that affects ability. But, then some people say that it's all down to work, rather than talent. Interesting question though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭RoyMcC

You have to factor in rate of stride turnover as well as stride length. I suppose if both were equal then a trained 7-footer would be unbeatable :confused: But I don't see that happening generally.

• It's not really a rule - but taller people tend to have slower turn over than smaller people and spend more time in the air between strides (bounce).

If you think about it, your stride may be covering more ground, but you are touching down less often and propelling yourself at a slower rate. Importantly, you are also likely heavier.

I've never known it not to balance out and I've never seen a trend that favours height or a lack of it. That said - African atheltes tend to be shorter so the opposite of what you are saying might be true!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Kenenisa Bekele is 5'4''.

Importantly, you are also likely heavier.
    That seems to be a bigger factor allright. article
    Distance running is different. Tall people naturally have longer strides, but stride length, it turns out, does not determine speed. Running requires that you lift your body off the ground with each step, propelling yourself forward. The more you weigh, the harder you have to work to lift your body and the slower you will be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭acurno

Good points and an interesting article. It's clearly not black and white so!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Didn't one or two sports scientist type guys on the James Cracknell MDS episode say that someone his size wasn't suited to being a long distance runner at all ?

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭BornToRun88

For sprinting, I would say yes. The vast majority of the top Irish sprinters, bar Chris Russell and Dean Adams, are tall fellas. I know a guy in my club, short guy around 5'3, great stride when starting to sprint but gradually loses his speed past 50m. His short legs fail to keep him consistent over 100 or 200m etc.

For running in general, I notice small people have an advantage in indoor competitions over tall people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

re stride turn over. i've often heard it said ' incraese stride turn over' as if it was a simple option. is it just not another way of saying ' get fitter' ?

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Didn't one or two sports scientist type guys on the James Cracknell MDS episode say that someone his size wasn't suited to being a long distance runner at all ?

Cracknell has a high level of fitness with alot of grit and determination which is well suited for ultra distance (high endurance) events. Can't see him doing well in shorter distances, such as the marathon and shorter, since running at a fast tempo would be required.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭myflipflops

It;s generally proven that shorter guys are much more suited to top class marathon running due to the likelihood of a more economical style and less pressure on joints due to less weight.

Paul Tergat was considered 'too tall' for the marathon and he is only 5'11. Guys around the 5.4-5.8 mark (Geb, Bekele, Tadese, Wanjiru, Baldini, Goumri, Kebede, Kirui and dozens more) appear to have the natural physical advantage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

The article above refers to small people (short and slight) and big people (tall and muscular). There's no reference to those of us who fit neither category. What short would my body type have been best suited to? I'm tall-ish 6'1 but swimming and rowing certainly wouldn't suit due to my pathetic girl-like arms (71kg-ish)!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭myflipflops

The article above refers to small people (short and slight) and big people (tall and muscular). There's no reference to those of us who fit neither category. What short would my body type have been best suited to? I'm tall-ish 6'1 but swimming and rowing certainly wouldn't suit due to my pathetic girl-like arms (71kg-ish)!

Asbel Kiprop is 6'2 and probably weighs less than you. He's Olympic champ over the 1500.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭ThePiedPiper

I think it probably all evens out. Smaller guys have shorter stride but less weight to be dragging along. Look at Tsegaye Kebede. The guy is only 5 foot 2 so his stride is fairly short. But he's only 50kg so he has very little mass to be carrying along.

I know there's probably more of the elite East Africans who are small but look at some of these guys:

Robert Kipkoech Cheruiyot, a four time winner in the Boston marathon and winner of Chicago is 6 foot 3!!! However, he is 70kg in weight versus 52kg for the likes of Wanjiru, Haile, etc who are around 5 foot 5.

Paul Tergat as mentioned is 5 foot 11 and was a world record holder and considered one of the all time greats on the road and the track.

David Rudisha at 6 foot 3 is head and shoulders above most of his fellow 800m competitors.

Sprinting would seem to favour taller athletes in general. Tyson Gay looks tiny on the track but he's actually 5 foot 11 and 75kg. Alongside Bolt and Powell at 6 5 and 6 3, he appears lightweight but again it seems to even out. However, I can't think of any high profile successful sprinter who was less than 5 foot 10, and certainly there are none who were 5 foot 5 or under.

Body Mass Index would seem to be more important than height. All of the long distance guys probably have BMIs of 17 or 18 so they're extremelly light weight for their relative heights. The sprinters BMIs are probably more like 22 or over as their muscle mass is much greater.

Asbel Kiprop is 6'2 and probably weighs less than you. He's Olympic champ over the 1500.

So you're saying middle distance, not long distance? I'm not all that hot as a runner anyway. Well above average, but I'll never challenge the top 20% in races around the country. Maybe if i had started 20 years ago, instead of 18 months ago!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

I wouldnt give up hope just yet. The only white man to ever break 27 min for the 10k is 6-1 and 74kg so distance running not off the cards just yet. Do what you enjoy and try not to worry too much about genetics do something enough and you will improve, that applies to all sports including running

http://www.usatf.org/athletes/bios/Solinsky_Chris.asp

ecoli wrote: »
    I wouldnt give up hope just yet. The only white man to ever break 27 min for the 10k is 6-1 and 74kg so distance running not off the cards just yet. Do what you enjoy and try not to worry too much about genetics do something enough and you will improve, that applies to all sports including running

http://www.usatf.org/athletes/bios/Solinsky_Chris.asp

I'm not letting it worry me much. Just stirring up some conversation. Genetics has a lot to do with all sports and its interesting to see what I could have been best at if i hadnt spent my late teens and most of my twentys playing soccer (which i loved and was pretty handy at). My main reason for giving up hope is that Chris Solinsky is 3 years younger than me and I have yet to go under 40min for 10k. Should do this year, but its a long way off 27 minutes!!

Actually, arms are less important than you might think for rowing. Long legs and back are where most of the power comes from. I'm 6'1" as well and did a bit in collegr many years ago. The best rowers tend to be > 6-4 or 6-5 though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

David Rudisha at 6 foot 3 is head and shoulders above most of his fellow 800m competitors.

Sprinting would seem to favour taller athletes in general. Tyson Gay looks tiny on the track but he's actually 5 foot 11 and 75kg. Alongside Bolt and Powell at 6 5 and 6 3, he appears lightweight but again it seems to even out. However, I can't think of any high profile successful sprinter who was less than 5 foot 10, and certainly there are none who were 5 foot 5 or under.

There are exceptions to every rule. Mo Greene was probably the most successful sub s5 10 sprinter - 60m world record holder, 2 golds in 2000 olympics, etc. Calvin Smith (2 individual gold in Worlds ++) claimed to be 5 10, but I am not convinced.

I think the key factor limiting bigger guys in distance running is thermoregulation - how the body controls temperature which apparently is dependent on body surface area. I think there was a good article on it on sportsscientist.com but I can't find it now. Here's another one from Brian Mackenzie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

RoyMcC wrote: »
    You have to factor in rate of stride turnover as well as stride length. I suppose if both were equal then a trained 7-footer would be unbeatable :confused: But I don't see that happening generally.

Yep but then Mass is another factor that will take from the 7 footer...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 806 ✭✭✭woodchopper

Maurice Green was about 5:8

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭ Kairi Clever Reindeer

Jesus, if you think 71kg arms are girl-like, i'd hate to see what you consider 'big' !!!! :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Rawhead

YFlyer wrote: »
    Crackwell has a high level of fitness with alot of grit and determination which is well suited for ultra distance (high endurance) events. Can't see him doing well in shorter distances, such as the marathon and shorter, since running at a fast tempo would be required.

I think his time for the marathon is 2:45. Nearly sure it was mentioned in the first episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,100 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

dna_leri wrote: »
    I think the key factor limiting bigger guys in distance running is thermoregulation - how the body controls temperature which apparently is dependent on body surface area. I think there was a good article on it on sportsscientist.com but I can't find it now. Here's another one from Brian Mackenzie.

Surely muscle composition would be a huge factor? West African and Caribbean athletes tend to be predominantly fast twitchers, while East Africans tend to be slow twitchers.

Thermoregulation would play its part, but primarily in hot weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Bugsy2000

Pherekydes wrote: »
    .......West African and Caribbean athletes tend to be predominantly fast twitchers, while East Africans tend to be slow twitchers.......

Twitchers??????

Rawhead wrote: »
    I think his time for the marathon is 2:45. Nearly sure it was mentioned in the first episode.

I think it is 2:54.

Advertisement