Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

How to service your car

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,976 ✭✭✭Barr

Great post Volvoboy - looks straight forrward , mite give it a go myself next weekend :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

I wouldn't should we do this for a few bits that can be done to cars. I'll be changing the front pads, and lowering mine soon. Might do likewise. Could become something:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

I wouldn't should we do this for a few bits that can be done to cars. I'll be changing the front pads, and lowering mine soon. Might do likewise. Could become something:D

lol your Oil Filter experience would put off most!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Bobo78

Lads one question from me, when you start changing spark plugs how do you know not to overtight the spark plugs?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I went at my brakes on Sunday. New set of pads and disks were needed on the front. The first side took a bit of messing about but once that was done and I new what I was at the second side took about 25 mins. Handy job tbh.

Been doing my own services for a few years now, started on the Missus A class first. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

Volvoboy wrote: »
    :eek: I'll fill it tonight at the end of me shift.;)

If you could get a Nigella Lawson type character to take over your role there OP you'd really be onto something! ;)

Fair play to you for going to the effort with that though...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭kluivert

Bobo78 wrote: »
    Lads one question from me, when you start changing spark plugs how do you know not to overtight the spark plugs?

All you have to do is tighten like a normal screw say, when you feel that it cant go no more and you would normally give it a bit extra to tighten that bit more......dont! Just gently tighten them, they dont have to be super tight.

Well done Volvo Boy. Theres something satisfying about servicing your own car.

There should be a sticky or seperate place to post "how to's"

Might have to put a disclaimer on it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭Sean Quagmire

lads what about dashboard warnings? before the last service my car had warning lights up to get a service..if i do the process my self will they turn off or should i do it before any warnings come up?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,352 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

One very important thing when changing spark plugs is not to cross thread them, cause its a right mess if you do!!

To avoid cross threading i always turn them anti clock wise, and you'll feel at a certain point the ends of the threads passing over each other.... do a few turns anti clockwise to feel this point, then when you feel it change direction and it should thread in fine.

Always thread them 90% of the way home by hand (with the deep socket + extension over the plug), then use the ratchet handle for to nip them tight....

The haynes manual normally suggests using a small piece of rubber tubing over the plug, but if you do the above you should need this...

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭cuculainn

lads what about dashboard warnings? before the last service my car had warning lights up to get a service..if i do the process my self will they turn off or should i do it before any warnings come up?

You will probably need to buy a gadget to turn off the service warning once you have the service done

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭cuculainn

1. Always change the sparkplugs when the engine is cold

2. always tighten down by hand as much as possible ensuring they are not to cross thread.

3. if the plugs are the washer type (and new) tighten with the rachet by a further 90 degrees.

This should have them to the correct torque

• Registered Users Posts: 24,462 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Nice one VB.

I recently did this (except for plugs) on my own car with the help of a friend and was suprised how easy it was. due to do it again over xmas and the plugs need doing too.

On a side note can anyone recommend a good place to get all the parts required around Dun Laoghaire area? Went to Halfords in Carrickmines last time but have been up there occasionally since and they never have the filters I need, didn't even get a pollen filter the last time and i can feel/hear that its getting blocked up with crap at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,234 ✭✭✭BrianD3

While the oil is draining, undo the oil filter, you can use many ways to get the oil filter off straps, or by hammering a screwdriver though the filter, because my last oil change was 5790miles ago i can get it off with my hand.
    I disagree with the hammering a screwdriver through the filter part. I have done this once and never again. If someone cannot get the filter off by hand or doesn't have a suitable tool then my advice would be to leave the filter in situ and think about what to do next.

IIRC "limerick man" who posts in this forum also had major hassle with an oil filter after he hammered a screwdriver through it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Bobo78

Thanks lads you made it much more clear for me now I ll only have to drive for another 3k miles and then i ll give it a go at trying to service it myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

cuculainn wrote: »
    You will probably need to buy a gadget to turn off the service warning once you have the service done

Usually you can turn off the service indicator with a combination of the Dash controls and key

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

Today i've purchased bit of elderly jap steel, 1989 Toyota Carina II 1.6 manual Tax and Nct'd. Was used as a taxi up untill last week she was put out to pasture and i knocked into the house and it was mine picked her up tonight.

She started without failure, the chap who owned it kept it in reasonable condition, interior very clean. Bodywork as you can assume it a bit tatty.

So There's a few jobs need doing

The clocks have packed in it's stopped at 248K miles nct that was done in Jan the mileage was 237K, so i need to replace the pinacle

Next up a service

Maybe a new radio

Timing belt

And replacing a interior door handle.

Think of it as the Boards.ie resto project, i'll take a few pics when i'm doing it as post it the same as the 1st post.

-VB-

• Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

Much obliged for the very informative posts VB, and I was actually going to suggest a thread or two devoted to a particular project if anybody had one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭biggus

i think thats called a binacle

biggus wrote: »
    i think thats called a binacle

Yea that too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Good thread VB.

I've been servicing my own car for a few years now and there it's hugely satisfying. I won't touch anything in the brake system though.

A Haynes manual is invaluable for anyone thinking of starting to work on their own car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭alo1587

macshadow wrote: »
    Do you need to gap the plugs anymore?

I would ALWAYS gap the new plugs out of the box to manufacturers spec if they were going into a performance car.Probably not if it was a standard family car.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

I got NGK plugs and they where pregapped (sp?).

alo1587 wrote: »
    I would ALWAYS gap the new plugs out of the box to manufacturers spec if they were going into a performance car.Probably not if it was a standard family car.
    Hal1 wrote: »
    I got NGK plugs and they where pregapped (sp?).

If ya want to gap the plugs buy and inexpensive feeler gauge & check the Spec's in the Owners manual.

But the majority of plugs on the market come pre-gapped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

fair play VB for that, if everyone did this think of the cash saved

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

First off fair play to VolvoBoy (AKA CarinaBoy :D) for putting those guides together
    fair play VB for that, if everyone did this think of the cash saved

x2 although not being pedantic, but there's only certain types that are 'capable' of doing stuff like this, myself I've never been afraid to do stuff like this changing MCBs in fusebox etc. I've mates that wouldn't know how to check the oil :rolleyes: let alone change it, Having said that theres people much better in other areas that I would completely fail.

First time I got under a car was April last year (armed with a haynes manual) , Had a company van for years but never worried about servicing

My NGKs are pregapped,well they were they exact same as the old ones from a previous service with Nissan but a bit over the Haynes spec.. I get my oil filter, cooper washer and NGK spark plugs from Nissan when I'm in the airside area comes to 28euro or soemthing to that effect. I change the oil every 6 -7 thousand or 6 - 8 months (Bardahl 10W40 €22 for 5 litres). The sparks every 12 months or 10,000. I've had a few bits to do on the car reckon I've saved myself around €1000 in labour last year.

First off fair play to VolvoBoy (AKA CarinaBoy :D) for putting those guides together

:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

putting all the mechanics in ireland out of a job :rolleyes:

S.I.R wrote: »
    putting all the mechanics in ireland out of a job :rolleyes:

No just helping people to save a few euro, ya know seeings how the whole Country is ****ed.

Maybe you could do the same S.I.R next time your doing a clutch ya could post a few pics on how to do it, it'd be great to see it in pictures.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

No just helping people to save a few euro, ya know seeings how the whole Country is ****ed.

Maybe you could do the same S.I.R next time your doing a clutch ya could post a few pics on how to do it, it'd be great to see it in pictures.

no worrys at all.

finally a fan !

i win at life ! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

aabf18_sarcasm_detector.jpg

:)

Advertisement