Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Anglers Rest - A plaice :-) for fishy tales - it was HOW big !!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

Doc Farrell,

If you need to get rid of any of your fly rods or reels to make space keep me in mind!!! Lol!

Jack(14)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭Doc Farrell

sorry jack, gave the lidl ones away.
    you'll feel better if u earn the money and get ur own, ur more than old enough to get a full time job now?
    good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 Mod ✭✭✭✭SeaFields

doc, that looks like a great trip you have planned. I fished schull reservoir a few years ago for stockies. Its a nice tidy little place so could be worth a try. I think there is a stockie lake in bantry too that is now a pike fishery? anyone any ideas on this?

Oh Doc, and on your post about using a wig you found in a car exhaust from a few days ago (i havent been online til now - was in sunny portugal :P) a favorite thing on mine for a bit of material is road kill. always handy for a bit of badger hair or rabbit fur. Just make sure its fresh ;)

Big spring tides this week - anyone getting any bass?

well, its 00.18.

in 6 hours i hope to be on the road.
    the hotel i hoped to stay in is booked out but i have my tent.

this weekend i'm hoping to sea fly fish, pier fish for mackeral with feathers, beach cast with frozen mackeral, bass fish with lures, loch fish for trout, posssibly tube float fish for pike (nervous about that one), estuary fish with fresh bait for flat fish and mullet, rock fish for pollock with rubber sea eels and trout fish in a stream with tiny little flies made by coolwings.

if i'm alive on tuesday i'll post as soon as i can. i'm going where there's no real internet reception near mizen head. gotta buy bait and a kelly kettle in clonakilty or skibbereen and then i'm ready.

if u get a chance to visit crookhaven before the summer's over please take it.

see you all next week.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Enjoy the trip Doc, looking forward to hearing about it all.

• Advertisement

Looking out the window at the mo there aint going to be much in the way of fishing over the long weekend...what happened to the summer lads!!! :mad:

Well we've had 3 or 4 summers already this year, so no more for at least 5 years I reckon :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

well, its 00.18.

in 6 hours i hope to be on the road.
    the hotel i hoped to stay in is booked out but i have my tent.

this weekend i'm hoping to sea fly fish, pier fish for mackeral with feathers, beach cast with frozen mackeral, bass fish with lures, loch fish for trout, posssibly tube float fish for pike (nervous about that one), estuary fish with fresh bait for flat fish and mullet, rock fish for pollock with rubber sea eels and trout fish in a stream with tiny little flies made by coolwings.

if i'm alive on tuesday i'll post as soon as i can. i'm going where there's no real internet reception near mizen head. gotta buy bait and a kelly kettle in clonakilty or skibbereen and then i'm ready.

if u get a chance to visit crookhaven before the summer's over please take it.

see you all next week.
    if you read this while you are still in west cork southerly gales at the minute rock fishing will be dangerous. with all the rain there will be a lot of fresh water in the bays mackeral are scarce,all the rivers and streams are un fishable today (friday) too much water, there are some sea trout running this week they are some fun on light gear.O yea the lake in bantry is stocked with rainbow trout it on the back road to dunmanway (lock bofinna) there are roumered to be pike in it but you have to buy a trout permit to fish it.

mp22 wrote: »
    if you read this while you are still in west cork southerly gales at the minute rock fishing will be dangerous. with all the rain there will be a lot of fresh water in the bays mackeral are scarce,all the rivers and streams are un fishable today (friday) too much water, there are some sea trout running this week they are some fun on light gear.O yea the lake in bantry is stocked with rainbow trout it on the back road to dunmanway (lock bofinna) there are roumered to be pike in it but you have to buy a trout permit to fish it.

got that, thanks,

never seen rain like this, anyway, here now, make the best of it,
    d.

stopped off at attangh next door to durrow and visited the irish fly fishing museum. fantastic place, got photos, will post next week, many of the exhibits are 200 years old, a national treasure, will post about it next week,
    thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Tinytony

This rain is sick. Had pencilled in a few hours this evening to get out fishing but not a hope of it now and if the rain doesn't let up soon the river will be unfishable for the rest of the week.

• Advertisement

well now,

i hope these pictures turn out.
    i stayed on an uninhabited island with a castle on it, the one in the picture. i fished for 6 hours but all i caught in the end was the tackle i lost 2 hours previously, which was quite satisfying.
    on Sunday morning i was awoken in my tent by a trickle of water running under my sleeping bag.
    today i went to gougan beara and i don't think i ever been in a place that was more beautiful. it also has 100 acres of lakes, but with all the rain i chickened out of using the float tube.

i mentioned previously that i stopped off at the Fly fishing and gun museum just outside Durrow run by a fine curator/owner called Walter. if you get a chance pay it a visit, he needs all the support he can get. the other two pictures should be of some of his exhibits, its a real step back in time.

i must have driven past 100 lakes and 20 rivers and hopefully over the next few decades I'll get a chance to throw a fly into a few of them.

when i find out the name of the castle in the picture i'll post it. it was bought by its current owner 30 years ago and a plastic roof put on it to keep the rain out. it cost 1100 pounds, that's the castle, not the roof.

i got a strong feeling that the island is haunted by murders and have never slept so badly in any place, i thought i heard the voices of children during the night but was too frightened and cold to open the tent.

Hard luck doc. To be honest it was the worst august long weekend I can remember in years for bad weather. I havent wet a line in a long time now because of the rain. :mad:

As for hearing things while fishing...was fishing a pool one night at about 1am for trout. Heard a little girl laugh from the opposite bank. Its amazing, there are probably dozens of logical, scientific reasons why I heard that but even in a grown man its amazing what the dark can do.

Talking to one of the lads in the club after it and he told me a family was washed away and drowned in a flash flood there in the last century and none of the locals will fish the place after dark. :eek:

Hope some of ye get a bit of quality fishing in soon lads...its frustrating i tell ye with this weather...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Was fishing in Courtmacsherry yesterday,great sport altogether.
    Our boat had over 60 mackerell,several very large polock and 30-odd congers up to about 40lbs.
    I hooked a skate and after an hour of pumping the braid frayed on something and the line snapped..i do weightlifting but this thing was like a minibus full of sand..the one that got away!

a few pics

pollack and chips?

what bait did you use for the congors?

courtmacsharry is a beautiful place. ow much did the boat work out at degsy?

pollack and chips?

what bait did you use for the congors?

courtmacsharry is a beautiful place. ow much did the boat work out at degsy?

All the pollack went straight back as did the congers..we kept a few ling though.
    The best congers were all caught on mackerel heads..i caught two on one bait without changing it.
    It cost us 60 quid each and a fiver for the rods and equipment hire..brilliant value..a top quality operation.

I'm going to post incidental nonsense here.
    Medlar Press is a beautiful website. I'd like to subscribe to waterlog magazine but its about 15 euro an edition.
    welcome back pullandbang, hope to see u down in clogher with more mackeral!
    i get a weekly newsletter from midcurrent.com and blueribbonflies.com which are both great, midcurrent is high tech 100% hardcore best of the best, while blue ribbon flies is a shop in Yellowstone park and is more laid back with beautiful photography.

looking forward to starting my flytying, hopefully about start of October, doing my ocd homework on it right now.

edit: and who the hell is cizia degsy?!

today's obsession is with this site:

http://learnflytying.co.uk/the-klinkhamer.html

a flytying site run by a fine retired gentleman named Dave Cammiss. and his grandsons i guess. anyway what a great collection of videos, ideal for beginners, all on youtube too.

looking forward to starting my flytying, hopefully about start of October, doing my ocd homework on it right now.

Thats not like you at all doc :D

Good luck with the fly tying. If its any help I started a few years ago by tying salmon flies on large hooks and gradually scaling back the size to trout flies.

edit: and who the hell is cizia degsy?!

http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cizia_Zyk%C3%AB

Apologies for the shaky translation.

• Advertisement

taking tomorrow off to go fishing.
    thinking of the avonmore river near rathdrum.
    or Lough Ouler near glendalough.
    decisions, decisions.

hard to believe there's probably one another half dozen fishing trips for wild brown trout this year. where does the summer go?

It was washed away in this years floods :(

As for the end of the season though, the mackerel were breaking last night around cork harbour. Every cloud....

ended up fishing on the estate of that well known nationalist Charles Stuart Parnell. Bought my ticket in Gala in Rathdrum for a fiver then paid another fiver to park inside the coillte run forestry. a very beautiful place.
    of course, as usual, didn't catch anything, but nothing was rising....!
    still, what a location.
    drove by lough Ouler in the Wicklow hills and it was completely clouded in, if i had have gone up there I would have been on the news as 'idiot gets lost in hills again'.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

OK Doc, ya got me !!!

Again ??????

:-)

if i had have gone up there I would have been on the news as 'idiot gets lost in hills again'.

That's some lovely subtle bait presentation there Doc :pac:

The season really has disappeared. I've the next two weeks off to try and go out with a bang, I'm hoping to get some trips to L.Ree this week for a bit of of pike fishing (was watching a Mick Brown video earlier with some surface lures, dying to try some), and hopefully a few nice trout as well, and then off to L.Mask for a week. Last year it seemed to get really good this time of year, I was out trolling in the boat one evening and there was a huge number of fish rising all around which prompted me to take up fly fishing, so if all goes to plan it'll be just the same this year and I'll get to catch a few of them :)

I'm just back from a days stockie bashing. Went to Lough Fadda, outside Kenmare in Co. Kerry. Brought home four 2 pounders all taken on a butcher, released two and lost half a dozen - two of which broke my 3lb leader!

All in all a good day and certainly a relief to get out after weeks of non-stop rain (even if it was after stockies! :D)

Hope the rest of ye manage to get out before that hurricane hits tomorrow :eek:

just finished work so my boss is letting me off work on saturday. so this weekend will be my goodbye to the season. i think i'll try to get another lesson from the battle of britain pilot on the Boyne. or perhaps head up towards the blackwater in kells.

i'm looking for a pretty little river with a good old fashioned b&b next to it. in the kind of location suitable for a 30's Hitchcock movie. looking forward to this, will mooch around the internet for the next hour.

jthis weekend will be my goodbye to the season.

Ah Doc, are you serious? There's another three weeks to go and theres even a few rivers open until the 12th October down south. Dont pack the rod away - shur the indian summer hasn't arrived yet!

not by choice seafields, can't get away.
    my little river the Nanny closes Sept 15th.
    was going to get a lesson from the battle of britain pilot David Whitren tomorrow but his club's stretch is a foot under water.

wil try to get out another half dozen times.
    going to West cork early tomorrow morning, hoping to sea fly fish near rosscarbery if the weather permits. hehe!

• Advertisement

wil try to get out another half dozen times.
    going to West cork early tomorrow morning, hoping to sea fly fish near rosscarbery if the weather permits. hehe!

If you are heading that direction bring the trout fly gear. There's a lake there called Ballinlough lake, just north of Leap. I have vivid memories of the legendary Jim Maxwell, a renowned fly angler, showing me how to cast a fly when I was about nine or ten. I think there are permits in a b+b close to the lake and theres a healthy stock of brownies in the lake stocked at bout 1/2 pound. Its a gorgeous spot but i haven't been there in five or six years.

Advertisement