Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

first car - where to start?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Realistically, that's then. You have to live today too- I wouldn't favour a starlet or a swift over a primera because in 2 years time someone else is going to be foolish enough to think that they'll save a fortune by getting a tiny car.

Two years service from a €1500 car and you're greedy enough to want ALL your money back?

Gyppo, you wouldn't tolerate a crappy car like that (c'mon) for 2 whole years, why should the OP?

Colm, you're right- usage is far more important than people let on when deciding what the most suitable car is for an individual case but most people aren't so hard up that they must spend as little as possible. I find most cases where people buy small cars, their usage means they are unsuitable but the allure of apparent saving of money clouds their judgement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

Maybe it appears like I'm settling or something... but I'd almost be happy to get something to keep me going for 6 months to a year and look at changing it then .. hard to decide really which is best.

I would settle for a cheap car but i would never settle for a small car. You have every chance of getting a decent car you can keep for a long time without 'outgrowing' it amd getting it very cheaply too.

Apart from a little dullnes, rep-mobiles (like primera/ carina/ vectra) tick as many boxes for as many people as possible because they are designed to be good all-rounders. Bigger depreciation means bargain for you and at this price range, they will depreciate no more.

Hatches are for housewives to go to the shops in (despite the marketing). If you settle for one now you will probably regret it. Get a primera or similar now for the same money and you probably won't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

cantdecide wrote: »
    Realistically, that's then. You have to live today too- I wouldn't favour a starlet or a swift over a primera because in 2 years time someone else is going to be foolish enough to think that they'll save a fortune by getting a tiny car.

Two years service from a €1500 car and you're greedy enough to want ALL your money back?

Gyppo, you wouldn't tolerate a crappy car like that (c'mon) for 2 whole years, why should the OP?

Colm, you're right- usage is far more important than people let on when deciding what the most suitable car is for an individual case but most people aren't so hard up that they must spend as little as possible. I find most cases where people buy small cars, their usage means they are unsuitable but the allure of apparent saving of money clouds their judgement.

My point was that the smaller type car would be more suitable for the OP to start driving in and gain confidence - then change it for something more suitable when they feel like changing.
    I never said ALL, btw, but looking from a cost perspective like the op is, you will certainly get a large proportion of it back. With the 1.6l types, next stop will probably be the scrapyard.
    I see where you are coming from, the 1.6L car will be a better drive - buy buy it when you can afford the insurance, tax, service costs,etc..

And yes, I have tolerated a 92 starlet (well, my wifes car :)) for 4 years.
    I'd be suprised at anyone who has ever owned one not rating them highly. Never gave a spot of bother, was economical, nice to drive, nippy enough, and I sold it last march for 900E with a 2 year nct on it. The 2nd caller to ring bought it - and I probably could have it sold 10 times over, judging by the amount of interest.

And for someone with no clue about cars is it better to pay a little more in a garage or should I just bring an AA mechanic or something with me?

I'm still very interested in peoples thoughts on a nice cheap (to buy, run, reliable enough, all rounder) car are. As I say, I'm named driver on a Yaris at the moment and I don't think I'd like any less space in the drivers seat! I don't want something tiny and don't want something massive either.

Thanks

• Advertisement

A bigger car will feel more expensive but it's as much an illusion as buying a small one. Unless you head on up to 1.8/ 2.0 litre country, they're all there or there abouts.

For me, it's a no brainer, value is the key IMO, yes, you can save a little by slashing your expectations but I know what car I'd be looking for if I were on a budget.

Like I say a 1.6 vectra is not a big car in the grand scheme of things and it is only marginally more commitment. A 2.0 is a probably different story.

But I'm repeating myself.

The key thing is to look at carzone.ie- it's definitely the most consulted search site on Boards. Limit your search to a little more than you want to spend (you can always haggle down a bit).

Limit the search to 1.8. Though no matter what car you get, you'll probably have to get the smallest engine in the range if there's a 1.6 or a 1.8, they probably wouldnt quote for the 1.8. Ditto if the engines in the range are 1.8 or 2.0 like a mazda 626 for example.

1.8s are probably not automatically out and 1.8s will be cheaper to buy, if you found one you fancied. Have a look and see what cars show up that you'd like and get a feel for the pricing- get some quotes.

Insurance will be your biggest factor since you're starting out on your own policy. Choose some potential cars and get some quotes for them.

I imagine if you are spending a couple of grand or less you will end up buying privately because a dealer car for this money will cost more and only have a begrudging and half-assed waranty (eg, engine and gearbox only which he probably wouldn't fully stand over).

MAKE SURE the car is as honest as possible whether buying from a dealer or privately by using a reputable mechanic- that's the key.

If you see something you like and you can insure it, you can then bring someone who knows about cars for a look like a friend or relative. If it seems okay, you MUST then get a mechanic to see it. Any local mechanic in the phone book will see it for you but use someone recommended locally (ask here for recommendations when the time comes) make sure he doesn't have to travel 20 kms cos he will charge you.

Must have decent amount of NCT, must be recently or just serviced and have impending work like timing belt etc, cos these are expensive. No obvios damage like cracks in the windscreen or doors not opening, electrcis all work etc. etc.

Keep asking if there's anything else you want to know:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

Are you sure your insurance would be 2k?

Im 20 with 2 years named driver no claims and I can get a 1.5l Toyota Paseo ST for 900 a year.

Try the quinn direct website and mess around with different cars that take your fancy, 2k seems alot.

As far as reccomendations go, Ive only driven the family 1.4 98 Nissan Almera. Ive been driving it exclusively for the last 6 months and can't find any fault with it. Over 120k and no problems at all.

I'm not sure on anything with insurance. I just ran through a quote on a sample 1999 1.1l fiesta valued at €2000 on www.insure.ie and it's about €1700.

I'll try the Quinn website and see what comes up for a few different models.

I don't specifially want (neither do I not want .. if that makes sense) a fiesta, I just used it as a sample.

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=643828

Stick that through as well for the sake of it...

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=643828

Stick that through as well for the sake of it...

Wait- no NCT on this one, actually

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,059 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

To be honest I would start off with something small like a Fiesta or Corsa and let the OP experience how comfortable he/she is with running a small car for a few months. If the OP is confident that he/she can afford to run a larger car then he/she can trade up. The small car will loose very little in the mean time and it will allow the OP to test the water rather than jumping in at the deep end.

My advice is to start off with something that meets your requirements firts and then move on from there to something that you like or want. That is what I did with my first car, an old banger of a Nissan Sunny that got me on the motoring ladder.

My whole point Bazz is look at the facts. They cost virtually the same to buy and run so there is no merit in buying and running the poor cousin for a tiny difference in money.

Starting in a fiesta is not a requirement by law. 'Starting off?- need a small car, then'. It's the oldest cliche in the book and it's totally unfounded. OP, don't fall for it, you will only fool yourself.

OP has full license and experience and going through the process of buying and selling cars twice in a couple of months is unnecessary complication and stress IMO. Considering what little he's told us about his usage seems to indicate high mileage, it seems he'll need something more substantial the day he buys his fiesta. So why wait?

The cars I'm suggesting change hands all the time. I'e helped numerous workmates (mainly from Poland) buy nothing but small engined carinas, mondeos and vectras. This is the new market for these cars. It is not fair to say that a 100k mile 1.6 saloon in good nick is going to be scrapped or is worthless. Buy it for €1500 and you'll get most of your money back- it's a fact.

How many people downgrade from a 1.6 to a fiesta other than retired couples? People change up and usually never look back.

There is very little extra commitment in 1.6 mondeo than a 1.2 fiesta so unless you have a specific need for one (which no one has, really). It wouldn't make sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭IrishPhoenix

Or instead of going for a Mondeo, he could go for a Ford Focus.

OP - my advice is test drive a selection of cars. See what size you're happiest with and then go on the hunt.

If you feel like a smaller or bigger car then, go for it. Ultimately though, from what I can see, your insurance seems to be costing as much if not more than the car. If that's a significant factor, then try to find out what's going to cost you the least.

Thanks for the advice lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

ciaranfo wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice lads.

Did you end up getting something?

Not yet Clonad, am looking around still but hope to get something in the next week or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭hamnegg

Don't touch a punto with a barge pole is all i'll say! Any of my mate that have them or have had them have had nothin but trouble. A friend of mine had an 89 starlet which he got for 500 yo yo's. not a bit of trouble. pissed through the NCT.

99 Opel Corsa.

It'll keep me going for a couple of months. Better to have one while looking for something then have none.

Did you get insurance? I think your €2,000 estimate is too high...

I threw a sample quote into quinn online quote service and came up at €830. I based the quote on 22yr old, 1 year named driving NCB (guess), driving a 99 3 door corsa (model: 55 sx), worth 3k.

Tried same details on 2 litre nissan almera, it was €950

Got insurance yah.

Can't remember exact figures she said on the phone but was €260 deposit and €100 a month.
    Open Corsa 5dr. 22yrs old. 1yr named driving. Fully comp.

• Advertisement

Oh yeah, thats not so bad, my figures were only for 3rd party cover.

Good luck with the new motor!! :)

Thanks a lot Cionad. I'll keep on the look out for a new car in the meantime but this should help me get around!

Advertisement