Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can plastic water troughs be repaired

• 23-07-2013 2:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭

Hello all,
    just noticed yesterday that our JFC water trough is leaking a small pin-hole about 1 or 2 inches from top corner. Must be after all the heat because its only 6 yrs old.

Anyone ever repair theirs or did ye just can it!

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

just replace it with a concrete one, end of grief.... those drinkers drive me insane

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

westlander wrote: »
    Hello all,
    just noticed yesterday that our JFC water trough is leaking a small pin-hole about 1 or 2 inches from top corner. Must be after all the heat because its only 6 yrs old.

Thanks

Tec 7

http://www.tec7.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

If its a pinhole, could you drain the tank below the hole level, dry and clean the area up and plug the hole on the inside and outside with some Tech7 silicone or similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭Sami23

whelan1 wrote: »
    just replace it with a concrete one, end of grief.... those drinkers drive me insane

What about the concrete ones cracking in the frost :confused:

Sami23 wrote: »
    can live with that, not a day goes by here without a jfc drinker giving trouble, this morning the calves had the drinker on its side, yesterday the ballvalve was stuck down in another one and dont get me started on the big round ones

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭grazeaway

drain it in the winter when it is not in use, it wont crack if they are drinking from it as the water level is rising and falling all the time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 839 ✭✭✭Dampintheattic

Have a JFC plastic trough, with 6 inch long crack.
    Cleaned it and dried it off.
    Stuck good quality silage bale tape, on both inside and outside of the crack.
    That was 3 or 4 years ago.
    Not a bother since:p

Most silage tape you get, is sh1te.
    Sometimes however you happen to get real good stuff.
    Tough, and sticky.
    I have put it to an amount of temporary fixes, which turn out to be permanent:D

none of ours cracked in the hard frost snow of 2011

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭westlander

thank you for the replies!

I see steel type troughs for sale as well in some stores (well they're tinny type troughs)

Any one ever use these or do they just rust after awhile?

just use concrete ones, we had those galvanised-i think- ones they rotted after a few years , had to patch them up

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,949 ✭✭✭delaval

Throw in a piece of timber or gallon can 3/4 full not lost one ever

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,949 ✭✭✭delaval

whelan1 wrote: »
    can live with that, not a day goes by here without a jfc drinker giving trouble, this morning the calves had the drinker on its side, yesterday the ballvalve was stuck down in another one and dont get me started on the big round ones

Remove drain valve from the bottom and put in fast flow Philmac never any bother again

• Registered Users Posts: 6,843 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

bought 3X 500gl throughs seconds but perfect, brother has them the last 5 yrs only 270 euros, never plastic again. Got the lad dropping off the fertilliser to put them around the yard. They weigh 1.8 ton, Threw him a score happy days!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

our JFC water trough is leaking a small pin-hole about 1 or 2 inches from top corner.

Thanks

Screw off the ball and then bend the arm. Screw ball back on. job done

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭jp6470

Cordless,drill hole at the hole.to let a nut and bolt in.rubber washer and a metal washer each side and tighten up.

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Mulumpy

grazeaway wrote: »
    drain it in the winter when it is not in use, it wont crack if they are drinking from it as the water level is rising and falling all the time

If concrete tank is hard to drain put a bucket into trough upside down. The bucket will expand in the frosy and spare the tank.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,843 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

just hooked up the new trough, something nice about seeing it fill up after connecting up:D. Anyways got me thinking, theyre should be a few hours done on the greencert, teagasc on fixing up troughs, piping and connections. I always have to ask the lads in the co op about reducers etc, still sh%te at it

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭vinne

anyone here make their own troughs

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Scrag

If it is only a pin hole get a small self tapping screw. dip it in some epoxy glue and screw it through the hoe. It has worked on tanks for me. Worth a try

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

vinne wrote: »
    anyone here make their own troughs

have a couple of old cast iron baths with ballcock protected by the metal panel/mesh that you get on the back of domestic fridge,,.. they were here any way and they heavy set so no problems

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,267 ✭✭✭roosterman71

jp6470 wrote: »
    Cordless,drill hole at the hole.to let a nut and bolt in.rubber washer and a metal washer each side and tighten up.

This is what I was gonna say. Have done it, and it works perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭milkprofit

Hello all,

Thanks
    Drill out hole
    Gutter bolt-2 plastic washers - silicone Job done

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

get the .22 bullet that put the hole in it the first time and push it back in:D:D

Advertisement