Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interesting Dublin pub names

• 06-07-2009 2:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭1968

- The Bleeding Horse, Camden St.

"After the Battle of Rathmines (1649), a wounded horse wandered into a tavern. This made such an impression on the owner that he named his premises 'The Bleeding Horse" - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Rathmines

- Buck Whaleys, Leeson Street.

"Thomas Whaley (1766–1800), commonly known as Buck Whaley or Jerusalem Whaley, was an Irish gambler and member of the Irish House of Commons" Infamous Dublin character who jumped out of the window of his Stephens Green townhouse on a horse for a bet.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Whaley_(politician)

- Copperface Jacks, Harcourt Street.

"John Scott, first earl of Clonmell (1739-1 798), was known as Copperface Jack. He served as solicitor general, attorney general, and lord chief justice[SIZE=-1]. He had an extremely unpleasant reputation as a "hanging judge". He lived at nos. 16-17 Harcourt Street.

- Dicey Reillys, Harcourt Street.

Was Dicey Reilly a real person? Anyone know?

- The Gingerman, Fenian Street.

Named after [/SIZE] J. P. Donleavy's 1955 novel.

- The Hairy Lemon, Lower Stephen Street.

Named after an old Dublin character. A 1950s dog catcher who had a "lemon shaped face" and "hairy stubble".

---

Can anyone think of anymore?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

I thought Coppers was named after its owner-an ex-pig by the name of Jackson.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

The Bloody Stream, Howth http://www.thebloodystream.com/history.htm

10th August 1177, during the 2nd Norman Invasion of Ireland, Sir John de Courcy's expedition arrived off Howth. Unable to leave his ship, the command was taken over by Sir Almeric Tristram, said to be a descendant of Sir Tristram, a knight of King Arthur's Round Table. A great battle ensued against the Danes, who were then in occupation on Evora Bridge, over a stream; afterwards known as the Bloody Stream. During the construction of this public house, we found that the Bloody Stream runs directly under these premises. Having fought a constant battle with the stream flooding the bar, we decided to make peace with it, hence the name, The Bloody Stream.

The Summit Inn, Howth

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/summit

sum-mit;

1. the highest point or part, as of a hill, a line of travel, or any object; top; apex

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

The Ramble Inn in Killester. Always liked that name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭suzieb

the slaughtered lamb in swords...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭ Trace Howling Rapper

suzieb wrote: »
    the slaughtered lamb in swords...

I use to work on the door there!.

Darkey Kellys, Fishamble St.

Named after a prostitute who worked the street.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,363 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Des wrote: »
    The Ramble Inn in Killester. Always liked that name.

Ramble Inn and stagger out. One of my favourite pubs. Don't get to go near as often as I'd like.

Isn't the Brazen Head named after a red haired girl that watched on through the siege of Limerik? This I gathered from a very askew historic rambling guided tour I took some visiting foriegn friends on. The tour all ended in tears in the middle of trinity college. Drunkenness could have been partly to blame. I never saw the tour guide again. Thankfully.

The Flowing Tide (so I was told) was named so in the 50's as when the liffey swelled the water would rush past but only as far as the pub around the corner which was called (up until the 80's) The High Tide (its present name escapes me now).

The Headline (sound pub and happily re-opened) on Clanbrasil St. is simply named so because it was a slightly out of town beer shop for hacks (journos).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭suzieb

I use to work on the door there!.

I used to go there all the time,havn't been in about 6 years though! Got a bit too old for the place at 21!

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭StopNotWorking

An american friend of mine actually mentioned the bleeding horse to me before. He said he went to Ireland with some friends and while on a tour(:confused:) they were brought in there and told about that horse and the renaming of the pub..

Very weird..

Very weird..
    Not really wierd as it's a usual stop for tourists on the Joycean trail.

A pub opened on the grounds of the old Stardust and named itself Skelly's. Named after a highway robber that frequented Skelly's lane (the road it's on). This Skelly chap lent his name to the term scallywag. As Es's were often pronounced as A's back in them days. So from the man that had Skelly's Lane (and Skelly's pub) named after him also came the term Scallywag.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭ Trace Howling Rapper

suzieb wrote: »
    I used to go there all the time,havn't been in about 6 years though! Got a bit too old for the place at 21!

Probably know you so, I worked there then!.

It's just called The Lamb now, afaik.

What did The Thing Mote mean, anyone?

And I always wonder how 4 Dame Lane got it's name.

Oh, wrong thread, I thought this was Boring Dublin Pub Names.

And I always wonder how 4 Dame Lane got it's name.

Oh, wrong thread, I thought this was Boring Dublin Pub Names.

Thing Mote was named after a viking gathering of people once a year to discuss what was going on in the village and what they were planning on doing for the year ahead. It was attended by all villagers and all could voice. This then lended itself to modern democracy. The 'Thing' was the gathering and the 'Mote' was the place. The actual position of the Thing Mote is thought to be where O'Neill's on Suffolk St is. About 50 metres short of where the bar Thing Mote was.

The word Thing of course then also entered our modern lexicon to describe something we were familiar with but unsure of (much more like modern democracy).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Chris Lowe

It was a viking assembly: http://www.geocities.com/heatheneurope/thingmount.html
    Access it before geocities closes later this year.

humberklog wrote: »
    Thing Mote was named after a viking gathering of people once a year to discuss what was going on in the village and what they were planning on doing for the year ahead. It was attended by all villagers and all could voice. This then lended itself to modern democracy. The 'thing' was the gathering and the 'Mote' was the place. The actual positiom of the Thing Mote is thought to be where O'Neill's on Suffolk St is. About 50 metres short of where the bar Thing Mote was.

The word Thing of course then also entered our modern lexicon to describe something we were familiar with but unsure of (much more like modern democracy).

Interesting, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭ericl

The Stickit Inn.

http://ballydung.com/

The Capstan (or Fallon's) on Dean Street is named after a brand of cigarette. The logo was to advertise the fag. I have heard it mentioned (by USA tourists) that it was named after the rotating quay bollards used to haul cargo. But nope, not that...fags is what.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

The Capstan (or Fallon's) on Dean Street is named after a brand of cigarette. The logo was to advertise the fag. I have heard it mentioned (by USA tourists) that it was named after the rotating quay bollards used to haul cargo. But nope, not that...fags is what.

People actually call it The Capstan! :eek: I've never heard it referred to that ever, only ever Fallons.

People actually call it The Capstan! :eek: I've never heard it referred to that ever, only ever Fallons.

Yeah I worked at the back of it in '86 and it was called the Capstan much more so the Fallon's (was it even Fallon's then?). No bother getting served either and I was only 16, but loaded as the job was with Guinness. The brothers play a bit of music and that was one of their bands slots and it was always referred to as The Capstan.

Yeah I worked at the back of it in '86 and it was called the Capstan much more so the Fallon's (was it even Fallon's then?). No bother getting served either and I was only 16, but loaded as the job was with Guinness. The brothers play a bit of music and that was one of their bands slots and it was always referred to as The Capstan.

Don't think it was Fallon's back then tbh, not sure if you ever noticed it but if you stand at the New Row side of it, it still has "The Capstan" written up there, you can't miss it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I always like the names The Bird Flanagan and the Cat and Cage.

Don't think it was Fallon's back then tbh, not sure if you ever noticed it but if you stand at the New Row side of it, it still has "The Capstan" written up there, you can't miss it.

I know well. I about 90 seconds I'll be sitting inside of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

I'm not sure if I imagined it,but I was sure there was a pub around town somewhere (possibly dorset st??) called napper tandys. A search says there is one in the US ok. If it's not a pub here in Dublin is it a song?

I know well. In about 90 seconds I'll be sitting inside of it! Make that 20min.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

The Long Stone on Tara St.

Before Sir John Rogerson and his buddies built the quays of Dublin there was a long stone nearby where ships tied up.

Also the Gravediggers is De Coursey Square beside Galsnevin Cemetery so named because of a hole in the wall through which the grave diggers were watered.

Also the Hole in the Wall, Blackhorse Avenue, self explanatory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭Tannylan

Grumpy Jack's on the Coombe
    The Blind Ref Summerhill Parade:)
    The Bloody Stream Howth Railway Station

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Diarmsquid

1968 wrote: »
    - Dicey Reillys, Harcourt Street.

Was Dicey Reilly a real person? Anyone know?
    The Dubliner's had a song about her - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xj0kyluZZps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

The Deadmans Inn.
    The Goat Grill
    Turks Head Chop House

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭JoeSchmoe

Interesting, thanks

the thing moat was a hill area which was flattened as the city developed, the rubble from the hill was used in the construction of Nassau St, and that's why Nassau st is at a higher lvel than Trinity below it. Not sure when this all happened though

• Advertisement

Tannylan wrote: »
    Grumpy Jack's on the Coombe
    ... has ceased to be afaik, it's not Grumpy Jack's anymore.

Advertisement