Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Track Inspections

• 27-03-2012 9:24am
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,202 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I was just reading an article about privatisation of the UK rail network. Essentially Network Rail looks after the physical rail network and train companies pay a fee for the use of the rail.

It doesn't work like that here.

So who looks after the actual track inspections and other safety concerns for the physical rail network? Is it all down to IR?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,891 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Basically, the work is done either with Irish Rail's own team of track workers for general checks and remedial work or via sub contractors, both for specific projects such as the reopening of lines and general track work on an ongoing basis. Irish Rail also have to maintain bridges, tunnels, station and loco buildings and offices so not all the work is rail related.

The network itself and it's safe operation is overseen by the Railway Safety Commission (RSC) while accidents on the railways are investigated by the Railway Accident Investigation Unit (RAIU); LUAS, RPSI and other railway operations are covered by both bodies as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭JeffK88

This group do alot of the networks inspections and other maintenance of the network
    http://www.lloydrail.ie/

Its a private company and according to their website they provide the personal for the track mounted inspection vehicles not sure if they own the vehicles themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭dowlingm

Separation of infrastructure from operations is likely when the derogation from the EU Railways directives runs out in 2013, and it has been announced that no extension will be sought to this on either side of the border. Interesting times ahead...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,202 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

what is the role of the RSC?

godtabh wrote: »
    what is the role of the RSC?

They are the state authority who oversee all rail operations. They licence operators, they have powers to nnspect and impose standards on track and infrastructure, they assess safety cases and practices, they may also set the relevant staffing standards and skills etc on behalf of the state.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭CaptainFreedom

JeffK88 wrote: »
    This group do alot of the networks inspections and other maintenance of the network

Its a private company and according to their website they provide the personal for the track mounted inspection vehicles not sure if they own the vehicles themselves.

There was a thread on IRN about them losing the contract to Balfour Beatty in the UK

There was a thread on IRN about them losing the contract to Balfour Beatty in the UK

It's gone to the courts so it may be tendered again depending on the outcome of the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

JeffK88 wrote: »

They work the on-track machines like the tampers. They also have Welders.

They dont own the machines.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭CaptainSkidmark

I actually got a Letter from them last month saything they were very interested in my CV and would kep me in mind for future recruitment, Hope to god they are recruiting soon

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

Lloyd Rail? I cant see them taking anyone on for a while yet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Hilly Bill wrote: »
    Another closed shop like Irish Rail?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,218 ✭✭✭✭Victor

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Another closed shop like Irish Rail?
    Read the thread, the contract is up for renewal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭CaptainSkidmark

Hilly Bill wrote: »
    Yeah lloyd rail, I cant either honestly.

Advertisement