Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tommee Tippee Sterilizer

• 08-07-2006 9:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭

Hi - just wondering has anyone any feedback on the new Tommee Tippee range, I had heard they are meant to be good, was in boots today and the sterilizer was reduced. I was going to buy it but a girl in the shop I got talking too advised against it saying she had nothing but trouble with it.

Any personal experience shared using this product or other in the Tommee Tippee range would be appreciated.

Thanks

S

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭dame

Hi,

Our daughter is 2 1/2 now and when we looked at sterilisers for her we chose the Tommee Tippee Microwave Steam Steriliser. We chose it because it uses no chemicals so seemed safer than other types available. Many parents don't feel their baby's bottles are properly sterilised unless they can smell the Milton off them but in my opinion, the less chemicals the better. Steam is just as effective at killing off any bacteria and 100% natural. Also, it's so quick and simple to use, all your sterilising done in a few mins! If you intend using a breast pump regularly then the quicker the better! If you would feel better using Milton once in a while then you can put it in the conatiner and give all your equipment a good soak now and again.

It's so simple to use;
    Wash out the bottles,
    pour 200 mls of ordinary mains tap water into the bottom,
    put in your bottles/beakers/breast pump parts/whatever (put everything in upside down, as in nack of bottle downwards),
    close the lid,
    pop the steriliser into the microwave for 5 mins on full pwer,
    job done.

Be careful of the steam for a few mins when you take it out of the microwave - don't open it immediately.

Also, the steriliser comes with a handy tweezers. This is excellent. Sterilise it with the rest then use it to put pull the teats back through the bottle collars. You then don't handle the teats AT ALL once they're sterilised.

I can't praise this steriliser highly enough. Best bit of equipment we bought. Only thing to make sure before you buy it is that you have a decent average-sized microwave, not a small one. There are other steam sterilisers on the market but to the best of my knowledge, they all take longer, are bulkier and need to be plugged in. This particular one can be taken with you when you go to visit the inlaws for a weekend or whatever.

Time to stop now I think, anyone still reading?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭C Fodder

It depends on what bottles you buy. Avent do a microwave sterilizer which perfectly suits their bottles and is of very good quality. I know of a few families where the same sterilizer has been used in different houses as the babies grow up. Ours seems unbreakable after 3 and a half years use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭dame

We did use Avent bottles and Avent Breast Pump in our Tommee Tippee Microwave Steriliser. It has wide openings in the trays to hold any size/brand of bottles. Incidentally, found the Avent bottles to be better than the Tommee Tippee ones but it's a matter of personal preference I suppose.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I use the Tommee Tippee microwave sterilser with no probs, its been grand. I did have a problem with their bottles tho, the writing came off them all within two weeks which makes it hard to fill them and see what babs is taking. I bought two lots of them in separate places so I dont think its just a bad batch :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

KatieK wrote:
    I use the Tommee Tippee microwave sterilser with no probs, its been grand. I did have a problem with their bottles tho, the writing came off them all within two weeks which makes it hard to fill them and see what babs is taking. I bought two lots of them in separate places so I dont think its just a bad batch :rolleyes:

Advent bottles and steam sterilser in our house. they are the business but in fairness all of them are good quality now are they would not survive in the market. We just found all the Advent stuff is easier come by and everthing just is compatible..so its excellent...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Leax

I have the tommee tippee steam steriliser and use dr brown's bottles, find the steriliser great, there are lots of bits to the bottles and can fit 5 in at a time plus spoons, syringes soothers etc at the same time. Byrne's world of wonder have them for €39

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭happy09

I could not decide on which to use - Avent or Tommme Tippee. I think second as they products are more greener and bipshenol free. This week going to NI to do some baby shopping? Anyone is shopping in NI?:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

We also used a microwave steriliser , worked perfectly , nice and simple and cannot be broken. This one had been used by two other family members before us.

Just a point , be VERY VERY careful about opening it , if it's hot then the steam is HOT and will scald you.

One interesting point , we had an American couple staying with us , they were amazed we sterilised , apparently in the US that's unhead of.

Anyone done any studies of this , or got any information if you really need to sterilise ? OP ( and everyone else ) I am not suggesting you don't sterilise at all , I am just interested because it seems in the US they don't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Davidth88 wrote: »
    We also used a microwave steriliser , worked perfectly , nice and simple and cannot be broken. This one had been used by two other family members before us.

Just a point , be VERY VERY careful about opening it , if it's hot then the steam is HOT and will scald you.

One interesting point , we had an American couple staying with us , they were amazed we sterilised , apparently in the US that's unhead of.

Anyone done any studies of this , or got any information if you really need to sterilise ? OP ( and everyone else ) I am not suggesting you don't sterilise at all , I am just interested because it seems in the US they don't.

I think the Americans just use the dishwasher and if they have it on high that sterilises the bottles.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

My advise is to buy a 24 or 48 hour steam steriliser,Ihad the tommee tippee 3 hour one and once there is more time between feeds,it is annoying.
    I also have a microwave steriliser,it is a travel oneandtakes 5 minutes,cost about 10 euro looks like a lunch box and was one ofmy best buys.

• Advertisement
Advertisement