Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[CoD Black Ops 2] News and Discussion

• 10-01-2012 9:58pm
    Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Bit too early for this to be stickied for the time being but there have been whispers about the game, codename - Ironwolf for little while now and now Activision has purchased the domain blackops2.com.

Activision prepping for Black Ops 2

Activision has purchased blackops2.com, suggesting that a sequel to Call of Duty: Black Ops could be in the works. The publisher previously purchased domains up to Black Ops 6, with 2 being noticeably absent from the list, but that domain has now joined Activision's collection.

According to a report by Fusible, the domain is owned by MarkMonitor, an "internet brand protection company" that "caters to over half the Fortune 100, of which Activision is a client." The domain's WhoIs data shows that it was last updated on January 6th.

This could be as simple as Activision protecting its copyright by grabbing the domain early, but considering that Black Ops sold over 14 million copies, a sequel is certainly not out of the question. A recent job listing suggests that a Call of Duty game is in active development, though we don't know if it will be Black Ops 2 or something different entirely.

Black Ops 2 can only be considered a rumor for now, but we've reached out to Activision and will update with any comment we receive.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

Here's hoping for a big overhaul of the game.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,329 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

Tmart has a video here about the possible new perks which there thinking about adding to the game

• Registered Users Posts: 53,758 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

?

Was it my imagine or where did my post go ?

Ade are trying to drive me over the edge?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Owned, That'll teach you for hating headshot ! :D

Lets hope they don't **** with the perks too much, and just remove the ****ty ones from blops. Then the usual new guns and whatever and lots of colourful maps !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭iMuse

I could put my house on treyarch making a better game than mw3 anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭ugglasdav

im hoping that the next game is World at War based

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Shifty Shellshock

Next November will be a cluster-free zone. Thank God.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

ugglasdav wrote: »
    im hoping that the next game is World at War based

nah, WW2 set first person shooters have been done to death at this stage, WAW was only 4 years ago and even that was stale at the time. wouldnt surprise me if its more Nam era stuff.

Slim i'd imagine. Don't think PS4/xbox3 will be out until at least Q4 2013. Would imagine there will be at least 2 more CoD's this generation with the 2nd probably being released on the new consoles aswel..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Still don't think COD has reached it's peak. I know a lot of you, particularly those staring from COD4 are consistently dissappointed but the franchise seems to be growing in popularity at each release (going by sales figures). The hatred for the series is growing too however.
    I prefer the IW games I don't know why I just do but am looking forward to blops2 even though the first one eventually crushed my soul.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,878 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

So long as Floyd P gets a copy of this I'll be happy..

I miss his "stream-of consciousness" type ramblings intermixed with copious statistics..

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

krudler wrote: »
    nah, WW2 set first person shooters have been done to death at this stage, WAW was only 4 years ago and even that was stale at the time. wouldnt surprise me if its more Nam era stuff.

To me Iron Wolf sounds like a WW2 game where the main character is Russian. But that's just a pure guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

I really hate WW2 shooters

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭yimrsg

Treyarch pretty much covered WW2 with WaW and going back to that would be a regression. Vietnam and the cold war was done in black ops and other games so I can't see the appeal in re-telling the same story but Treyarch aren't that adventurous in selecting the theatre of war as IW. They are better at making the major battles and set pieces seem less on the rails, IW's standard plan is to place player in a Humvee and drive him around for a few minutes before it explodes and the players screen goes all fuzzy.

I'd love for some of famous battles or engagements throughout history to be included, stuff like the Zeebrugge Raid from WW1 where there was the largest number of victorian crosses awarded for a single event and would make for a fantastic level.

Starts at 3 minutes in.

The submarine base is too far inland for a raid by ground forces, and the base is too well protected from aerial bombardment so an alternative plan is needed. The allies assaulted a port by sea, cut off the pier which is defended by a german destroyer from reinforcements by blowing up a part of it with a submarine, and block the harbour opening by sinking ships packed with concrete to stop the german u-boats from leaving and ultimately attacking allied convoys in the atlantic. Admittedly WW1 has limited appeal so they'd have to transplant it and it's probably better suited to the Halo universe than CoD.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭x43r0

everlast75 wrote: »
    I miss his "stream-of consciousness" type ramblings intermixed with copious statistics..

Me too strangely enough

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Thomasheen

Well if it is going to be Black Ops 2 rather than a new title more than likely it will stick in the cold war era. Theres an easter egg in Blops somewhere
    that shows Reznov is still alive so maybe he could return

I think Masons story wrapped up rather well in Black Ops but characters like Hudson could make a return

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭yimrsg

So long as Floyd P gets a copy of this I'll be happy..

x43r0 wrote: »
    Me too strangely enough

Sadists.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭DanTheMan91

I would love to see Call of Duty go back to the World War 2 setting.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

gimli2112 wrote: »
    Still don't think COD has reached it's peak. I know a lot of you, particularly those staring from COD4 are consistently dissappointed but the franchise seems to be growing in popularity at each release (going by sales figures). The hatred for the series is growing too however.
    I prefer the IW games I don't know why I just do but am looking forward to blops2 even though the first one eventually crushed my soul.

Power of advertising innit :)

Resentment is certainly growing, even from the MW2 crowd I've noticed at least on a personal level talking to friends of mine who only properly sampled COD in 2009 by purchasing said game.

Despite my seemingly long winded disappointment in the series post-COD4, I was reasonably pleased with BOPS especially going in what low expectations of it due to COD3. I got 4-5 months of fun out of BOPS so again, it exceeded my expectations. I just became bored of repetitive style type gamers - Ghost + Famas/74u rapid fire. New maps bar the first map pack were disappointing too but even then not everyone I played with had them which admittedly was bit frustrating - I really liked Stadium and Kowloon.

I might give an IW game a rent in future but I have more faith in Treyarch producing a decent COD and thus am looking quite forward to it. Vahn is throwing out some good ideas if you, or others aren't following him. It's refreshing instead of having to listen to that hyper, bull****ter Robert Bowling.

__

As for the theme, no WWII please. Beating a dead horse and all that. WaW it was considered by many to be past it back in 2008, hell that's half the reason I didn't buy WaW myself. Cold War as period in history I've always been interested in, I wouldn't mind them sticking with that again.

The actual timeframe doesn't really bother me. I don't play CoD SP and as long as the guns shoot bullets.. im fine. Last WW2 shooter i played for a good amount of time was probably CoD2 and before that RTCW... so those style of MP games aren't really overdone for me.

I imagine they'll keep it the same timeframe as Blops tho.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭hypermuse

having to listen to that hyper, bull****ter Robert Bowling.

I think this every time I see his gimpy looking head!! He really is full of BS, but you gotta give it 2 him! He knows how to tell people what they want to hear! Even if its all Bull!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,569 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

http://blackops2clans.com/call-of-duty-bo2/black-ops-2-will-be-the-game-to-watch-in-2012
    If you’re a frequent visitor to any of the large gaming news sites like IGN, you’ve probably already heard that Activision recently acquired BlackOps2.com. Are they just protecting their trademark, or are they actively developing the sequel and gearing up to an official announcement in the next few months? We think the latter, so we’ve started to let our minds wander on what we could expect from Black Ops 2 in 2012, which without doubt will be the game of the year if it happens to find its way onto our shelves.

The Call of Duty franchise began back in 2003, and since then almost yearly releases have caused the game to build up a huge following of hardcore gamers looking to keep up-to-date with the latest thing to cause a stir in the gaming world. For that reason alone, any new COD titles are going to be bought by the masses, regardless of whether or not the release is met with rave reviews. This has certainly rang true in recent years. Both Black Ops and, more recently Modern Warfare 3, received mixed reviews from gamers, with some suggesting that the company no longer cared about releasing quality games, instead just releasing as many games as possible to maximise revenue from the proven cash cow.

It should come as no surprise then, that with the increased speculation surrounding Black Ops 2, gamers began to question and speculate on the quality of the potential sequel. With the last two games in the franchise failing to please everyone, it would appear of the utmost importance that Activision get things right with Black Ops 2, and focus on creating a ground breaking first person shooter, rather than releasing sub-optimal games in an effort to make a quick buck, otherwise there seemingly indestructible followers may just become, well… destructible.

So, looks like the new game is Black Ops 2... 'sigh'

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,329 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

fcuk it, set it in Napoleonic era, big square formations of people marching slowly towards each other unloading muskets and single shot rifles. perks could include sleight of hand, which reduces reload time down from 3 minutes to 90 seconds. extra ammunition meaning 6 bags of shot powder instead of 4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,569 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Cheers, had a quick look, but didn't see it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,878 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

krudler wrote: »
    fcuk it, set it in Napoleonic era, big square formations of people marching slowly towards each other unloading muskets and single shot rifles. perks could include sleight of hand, which reduces reload time down from 3 minutes to 90 seconds. extra ammunition meaning 6 bags of shot powder instead of 4.

bi-plane strikes for 6 kills and reviving someone from last stand will involve leeches

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭Duff

bi-plane strikes for 6 kills and reviving someone from last stand will involve leeches

lol'd

• Registered Users Posts: 11,380 ✭✭✭✭klose

In fairness its hardly surprising that blops 2 would be coming given the success of blops itself.

Id buy a game for all its content unlike some people who only buy for multiplayer which is a tad stupid IMO and blops had a great campaign, I prefer mw multiplayer but blops isint too far behind however blops campaign is much more interesting and fun to play.

Of course theyll bring back zombies which could of course been released as a sperate game nearly at this point its became so popular, be interesting to see what they do with that this time round.

In fairness its hardly surprising that blops 2 would be coming given the success of blops itself.

Id buy a game for all its content unlike some people who only buy for multiplayer which is a tad stupid IMO and blops had a great campaign, I prefer mw multiplayer but blops isint too far behind however blops campaign is much more interesting and fun to play.

Of course theyll bring back zombies which could of course been released as a sperate game nearly at this point its became so popular, be interesting to see what they do with that this time round.

How so ? I got plenty of gametime out of BLOP's multiplayer to justify the price, i tried the SP till after the first level and thought it was boring as fook.. its fair to say a lot of people do the same. Personally i hate shooters on rails like the CoD/BF SP games which is why they bore me. Too many GOOD SP games on the backlog as it is !

Probably why im not all too concerned about the time period of these CoD games and don't think WW2 is overdone in games ! :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭hypermuse

I buy them for the multiplayer/spec ops tbh!

SP doesn't really hold my attention that well at all.. find them quite boring regardless of storyline!

Advertisement