Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SBR Challenge 2012 & training log links

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Shell to Run

A review of last week looks something like swimming – poor week, cycling – dismal week and running wise - excellent week. I will eventually get all three balanced. Had hoped to do club duathlon Saturday but had a work party which I had to attend so unfortunately I’m still in darkness regarding my race fitness.
    Objectives this week:
    1. Three swims
    2. Cycle 100 miles (accumulated)
    3. Massage

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭big mce

Went over on ankle this morning while running, spent 5 hours in casualty, on crutches now, no running/cycling for at least a month, absolutely gutted!!!

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

big mce wrote: »
    Went over on ankle this morning while running, spent 5 hours in casualty, on crutches now, no running/cycling for a month, absolutely gutted!!!
    Ah Jesus thats awful. So Sorry. Hope you heal quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

big mce wrote: »
    Went over on ankle this morning while running, spent 5 hours in casualty, on crutches now, no running/cycling for at least a month, absolutely gutted!!!

Crap, sorry to hear. Best of wishes on the recovery.

@Fazz, been watching.. 4.5 - 5k+ swim sets :eek:

With the work you are putting down, I reckon its you that will have a target on your back for me to chase in some race or other ;)

Dory, when is your pool opening again?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

@Fazz, been watching.. 4.5 - 5k+ swim sets :eek:

With the work you are putting down, I reckon its you that will have a target on your back for me to chase in some race or other ;)

Dory, when is your pool opening again?!

Haven't reached the 5k mark but yes, average is 4.5k over a session.
    Once you get into habit it becomes the norm.

Regarding performance, I'm not gonna kid myself I'm no front pack swimmer, but with the work hoping to be in chase pack now instead of miles back!

To put into perspective - Athy last year my Olympic swim was 30:xx mins so that's the level I'm coming from.
    Oh and my 100 is still low 1:20's so you've around 10 seconds on me there alone!!! ;)
    Much work needed!

Ps everyone get up and get out there!
    Epic training weather outside. :D
    Green 2 here I come...

Fazz wrote: »
    Ps everyone get up and get out there!
    Epic training weather outside. :D
    Green 2 here I come...

And first puncture on the road to greet me too :D
    Had gone into a hole before I even knew it so just a pinch flat thankfully. Few mins later on the road again.

Smashing day for a brick.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Massive visit to PB town today. Smashed my 10k time. Full report if I get a chance later today. Delighted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Sorry to hear that big mce!!

Well done BTH. And Fazz, slow down would you ;-) 4.5k swim sets!!!

• Advertisement

Massive visit to PB town today. Smashed my 10k time. Full report if I get a chance later today. Delighted.

Was there a 10km race on or in training?
    Excellent but you can't leave us hanging with no time :eek: :rolleyes:

@Bambaata - I can't honestly, I've got more time improvements to make up than you guys as you can see!

7 weeks to Race 1 thankfully... should go fast!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Was there a 10km race on or in training?
    Excellent but you can't leave us hanging with no time :eek::rolleyes:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056574465

Not even a podium finish? pffft...how dare you sully Bambatta's 2nd place triumph with your loser placing. :D

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056574465

Not even a podium finish? pffft...how dare you sully Bambatta's 2nd place triumph with your loser placing. :D

I know. I'm ashamed of myself.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭ Ingrid Whining Backstop

I can see Fazz and BTH pushing the IM boyos this year with the mileage you lads are putting in:)

I can see Fazz and BTH pushing the IM boyos this year with the mileage you lads are putting in:)
    Lets see if they push us in races too! Or worse still, leave us behind ...

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Shell to Run

Overall it was a good weeks’ training. Got the hair done this week so avoided the pool, feels good to look half decent every now and then!! Two swims, 3 road cycles, one turbo and two classes. Finally had tough sports massage, which was well overdue. Particularly happy with the three cycles as I got some specific work done and hopefully I am beginning to improve on the bike – time will tell.
    A new 10km PB, improved by 28sec (Jan 2011). The last 10km I took part in was The West of Ireland’s Mini Marathon in May, so I had no idea of my form (apart from info from track sessions). I think I only raced at 85% if I’m honest so will give 100% in Tubbercurry 10km this St Patrick’s Day.
    Objectives this week:
    1. 10km PB:eek:
    2. Stretch and roll
    3. 3 Cycles.

Where has RacoonQueen gone?

Took myself out. Haven't updated fully in about 4 weeks. Might re-enter somewhere along the line but for now it's just encouraging junk training. :)

Everyone below me got moved up a spot. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

Might re-enter somewhere along the line but for now it's just encouraging junk training. :)

That's an interesting point RQ and one I have considered. There is a temptation to get involved in chasing numbers rather than a plan.

I find it a good motivator for the bike though as I need a kick up the backside for that.

Ranked overall up to date folks, sorry for delay.

3 greens up on the board and a couple of cycling greens a dry weekend of cycling away.

Fazz the clear leader with 2 greens, well done Chief!
    DoryDory odds on to hit the first run green

Shame to lose RC, not the same without our prolific posting hoochie :) But hey its not all junk miles, Bamabaat is probably the fastest boardsie on the challenge and he is top!! Just log what you do

• Advertisement

Looks likely that there'll be three more greens by the time the weekend is over.

updated the ranking there folks. I know there are a few updates to come in, particularly green ones. I'll redo the ranking tomorrow if I get a chance

Well done on the cycle green Bambaata!

Echo that well done Ed.
    I'd hazard a guess and preempt with a well done Eugene and Izoard also! ;)

Steady as she goes. 6 weeks to first tri lads won't be long coming now!
    I'm itching to go, but need to do some speed work first of all so I'll take the 6 weeks :D

Recovery week out of the way now, the hard and fast work will be coming on board soon enough!

So again focus for this week is get through the hard sessions as best I can, and continue with injury prevention and keep up the consistency.
    Oh, and hopefully nab a PB of sorts at the hilly 10k on Sunday. I don't really have a 10k pb per say (never done one outside of tri's), and this is more a dust off the cobwebs and prep for speed work race so who knows.
    There is a few tri lads in it though so I'm looking forward to it.

I'd hazard a guess and preempt with a well done Eugene and Izoard also! ;)

I'm afraid not. Been flattened with the flu since Saturday eve. Feel like I've been hit by a bus. Damn work colleagues last week turning up at work when they're sick and coughing on me all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Cheers lads. Thought i was about to etch slightly closer to you Fazz but then i see you did a fair amount of cycling yourself!!

Bambaata wrote: »
    Cheers lads. Thought i was about to etch slightly closer to you Fazz but then i see you did a fair amount of cycling yourself!!

Bank hol and the weather that was outside I was only too happy to finish week with 2 x 4hr bikes. So yeah you would've caught me but for that.
    Not much in it really, more interested in the quality of work leading into this important phase now I think. I'm expecting my volume to decrease a bit in the coming weeks, though distance may be similar as harder paced probably.
    Last 2.5 months have flown by if you ask me!
    Wetsuit will be coming out of hibernation soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

Took myself out. Haven't updated fully in about 4 weeks. Might re-enter somewhere along the line but for now it's just encouraging junk training. :)

Everyone below me got moved up a spot. :pac:

Maybe a rest/recovery/sleep column should be added......with green and gold targets :D

Maybe a rest/recovery/sleep column should be added......with green and gold targets :D

At the moment I'd be winning that one. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Still running, not so much cycling, 0 swimming. Once Connemara Half Marathon is done I'll be working towards Swinford Half Iron so will share more love to swimming and cycling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

After struggling with injuries I've just recalculated how much work I need to do to hit the golds.

Feck! I reckon the swim and cycle will be done but getting my running up towards 50km a week will be tough!

Advertisement