Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

News and views on Greystones harbour and marina [SEE MODERATOR WARNING POST 1187]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

96CC0C4DD73F46CE895D292E94629198-800.jpg

0A25976DD7004FFF917975F468ECFD8B-800.jpg

7A5A96A6779646F197F2E82838DDCFA2-800.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

Its starting to look like something.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

Apparently Wicklow Council has been consulting Paul the Octopus on what to do next. Cowan was asked for a comment... he just said bit of butter, salt and pepper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭kramxw

Noticing all the boat trailers lined up in one of pixbyjohns photos, is the slipway currently open to public for launching/recovering boats?

kramxw wrote: »
    Noticing all the boat trailers lined up in one of pixbyjohns photos, is the slipway currently open to public for launching/recovering boats?
    Yes it is , at certain times.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭kramxw

Any idea where I can find out the times?

kramxw wrote: »
    Any idea where I can find out the times?

PM sent

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Blanchflower

ciaran67 wrote: »
    Apparently Wicklow Council has been consulting Paul the Octopus on what to do next. Cowan was asked for a comment... he just said bit of butter, salt and pepper.

Perhaps Paul the Octopus will take up residence in the harbour and predict when it will be finished!

• Advertisement

Perhaps Paul the Octopus will take up residence in the harbour and predict when it will be finished!

Hes been retired. Usually a good thing for humans, Octopus, not so much. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭dr ro

Hes been retired. Usually a good thing for humans, Octopus, not so much. :D
    octopus? octopi? octopuses? who knows

dr ro wrote: »

prefer it on a pizza rather than a pie. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,404 ✭✭✭✭Alun

dr ro wrote: »
    It's a word of Greek, not Latin, origin, so strictly speaking it should be octopodes although that is seen as being a bit pedantic. Octopuses is the most generally accepted form. Octopi is just 'wrong'.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,610 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

prefer it on a pizza rather than a pie. :D
    Alun wrote: »
    ...Octopi is just 'wrong'.

Classic, this is why boards were invented! I had a giggle with that one. Thanks guys.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

B46EF6A3063E4F7F9561AAFB8F268485-0000315917-0001869777-00800L-256FE37C7186427C97910796C147AAF1.jpg

4916103560_e4c036f3ce_z.jpg
    Harbour_HDR2 by pixbyjohn, on Flickr

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Nice work with the panorama shots pixby.

:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Blandpebbles

Good to see you getting into HDR :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

Great pics. Looks like it's slowly starting to take a bit of shape.

4980271617_9efd68d020_z.jpg
    DSC_9580 by pixbyjohn, on Flickr

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Fiachra2

I understand that Greystones Town council has been advised that the harbour project is now in NAMA and, contrary to the impression given recently, further progress is dependendent on funding being made available by NAMA.

I will post again when I get mopre details.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Langerland

This is a worrying (if not unsurprising) development - who or what's the source of this news?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Fiachra2 wrote: »
    I understand that Greystones Town council has been advised that the harbour project is now in NAMA and, contrary to the impression given recently, further progress is dependendent on funding being made available by NAMA.

I will post again when I get mopre details.

More detail here

Tuesday nights Greystones Town Council meeting was informed by developer Sispar that the major work on the seawalls would be complete at the end of November 2010.

Following this, construction of the Health Centre, public square and Community buildings for the Sea Scouts, Rowers, Anglers, Divers and Sailors will start in January and should be complete in December 2011.

The hoardings which have blocked the view of the harbour will be taken down as these works are completed in 2011.

Local councillor Derek Mitchell (and a Ruffian keelboat champion) told Afloat.ie: "I welcome this as Greystones had been trying to get the harbour rebuilt for over a hundred years and this will create the best Community Harbour in Ireland".

Councillor Mitchell adds "The developer has applied to change some of the housing and add 34 houses to the North. Wicklow County Council is to vote on this in December. These houses may not be built yet, depending on the housing market, but access will be provided across the site to the North Beach and the new swimming beach there"

"The meeting was also told that the loan would be going in to NAMA, as all loans will, however this is not expected to make any difference to the project", he added.

Councillors asked for more Community tours so that people could see what has been achieved.
    source

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭danjo

So what exactly is Councillor Mitchell welcoming?
    the delay in completion
    the move to NAMA
    the possibility that it might get NAMA approval for completion
    or that the hoardings might come down in 2012?

And he has been waiting 100 years? Well I suppose in that context it is on schedule.

What rubbish!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Blandpebbles

Derek lives in Mitchell world, a place where words such as 'welcoming', 'talking', 'pushing', 'calling for' equate to actually doing something.

This joker needs to be booted rapido!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

pixbyjohn wrote: »

Nice. On September 12th I flew into Dublin and had a perfect view of the marina from the aeroplane.

Advertisement