Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy S3 Problems

• 22-06-2012 5:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭xnightwishx

I have a samsung galaxy s3 and it's all been working great. Two days ago however, the wifi stopped working. It stays connected but can't download or upload anything as if it isn't connected. Wifi is working on all other devices. Anyone else experience this? I've seen it's happened to someone on a vodafone.ie forum but can't register on that as I'm on 3.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,727 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Aye it happened to me once so far and a reboot sorted it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

I have a samsung galaxy s3 and it's all been working great. Two days ago however, the wifi stopped working. It stays connected but can't download or upload anything as if it isn't connected. Wifi is working on all other devices. Anyone else experience this? I've seen it's happened to someone on a vodafone.ie forum but can't register on that as I'm on 3.

Think someone in the main S3 thread was complaining about a similar problem about a week ago. Here you go Was suggested he get a replacement, which seems like a good plan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭xnightwishx

yeah i was hoping it wouldn't come to that because it took me ages to get all my numbers and apps and everything onto it and personalised!! looks like i will have to though.

yeah i was hoping it wouldn't come to that because it took me ages to get all my numbers and apps and everything onto it and personalised!! looks like i will have to though.

That should not be a problem. Just make sure your numbers are saved inn your Google account - and your apps are backed up to your Google account, they will automatically sync when you sign into your new phone.

Make sure you check another router, reboot the phone. And if that falls, after doing the above, a factory reset. The guys in the shop will likely do all this anyway

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

Zagato wrote: »
    That should not be a problem. Just make sure your numbers are saved inn your Google account - and your apps are backed up to your Google account, they will automatically sync when you sign into your new phone.

It's the same for apps. I moved to the S3 from another phone. When I signed in it downloaded all my apps automatically.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭TheMooseInNam

Zagato wrote: »
    Think someone in the main S3 thread was complaining about a similar problem about a week ago. Here you go Was suggested he get a replacement, which seems like a good plan

I picked up the S3 about three days ago. Have to say the phone's awesome but I'm suffering the same problem. Wifi connects at home but won't actually transfer any data. I know my wifi is setup perfectly, as I've multiple wifi devices connected to it and they all work fine.

Initially, it connected and worked great but I then plugged the S3 into the PC, it started charging and I upgraded the firmware to the latest edition, after that I suffered this wifi problem. Tried hard resetting the phone, turning off wifi power saving and power cycling the router but to no avail.

Rang Samsung tech support, initially the tech guy said he had a few similar calls and then reversed his story after going to speak to someone for a few minutes and said it wasn't a known issue at all. Waiting on a call back now.

Anyone figure out a fix for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭bogman

My rear facing camera was faulty, hardware problem, wouldn't focus, took it back to Carphone Warehouse and they replaced it immediately:cool:
    (Said twas the first S3 they had seen with a problem)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭xnightwishx

If you call *#0011#, hit the menu button, hit wifi, and turn power save to off, it's worked for a lot of people according to the interweb...it didn't work for me, i ended up resetting the phone, but it's worth a try!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

My biggest gripe is the battery life. I'm not overly impressed with the system for getting media onto the phone, but I'll get used to it.

But the battery life is atrocious. Dropped 22% while using for the last hour. Mostly browsing over 3G, and 5mins on a basic game.

I'm on the 3 network, and seriously thinking of bringing the phone back.

I've tried turning off all the usual things that eat battery, but it's made no difference.

Anyone else with the same problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 lycheemochi

I have the same problem, I'm in Australia and I just got my phone about 3 days ago.

About an hour after setting up my phone the wifi said 'connected' but it wasn't transferring any data and nothing would load, after googling the problem for about an hour, I gave up and restored the phone to factory settings which made the wifi work again. (I had tried the *#0011# thing but that seems to only solve it for people who were constantly disconnecting, but mine still says connected)

Its worked fine for 3 days, and now I have the same problem again... so restoring doesn't solve it, and it's not an application issue because I didn't have anything on my phone the first time it happened... I can still however connect to different wifis that is not my home one which I've been using for 3 days, I'm thinking I'm going to have to go back and get it swapped.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 614 ✭✭✭blankblank

Still getting the annoying home screen re-draw issue :(:(:(

Think i found a bug.

I have set up the default messenger for one of my contacts to be WhatsApp.

I then sent him a text using s voice, and although it picked up my voice perfectly, it sent the message to him using the Samsung messages app.

I can see that he replied in my notification centre, but when I click on it, it won't open messenger app at all. I get an error message saying that the app had to close, but now I can't open that app at all now.

Anyone else run into this problem?

Can s voice not be set to use any application for sms other than the built in one?

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭kenyard

its probably programmed to use the default sms app in it...
    either app needs to be updated (unlikely) or you need to do some sort of modification im guessing you need root and programming knowledge to carry out

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭thecross1

Does anyone have sound problem when making phone calls here's what's been happening I'd make a ph call or receive one but the person on the other end of the ph can't hear me to well I only got the ph a few days ago anyway this kept happening so brought it back to the shop the guy verified the problem straight away went home set up my new .ph yesterday made my first ph call and my mate said what the fcuk is wrong with your ph so it's still happening is there a setting I need to go to or is there anyone having the same problems

Just on battery issues (again):

Were there similar issues with the S2 in the early days?

I read somewhere that the "Cell Standby" consuming battery is a fault with the S3 that may be sorted with a firmware update from Samsung at some stage.

It's this standby that's consuming most of my battery, rather than browsing of screen. It's basically on all the time, but can it be switched off, or has it to be left alone?

I've installed Juice Defender on the "balanced" profile, so hopefully that will help.

Only way to switch it off is to switch to airplane mode - then you'd have an android version of iPod Touch!

It may be that it improves with new versions of the baseband(aka radio or modem) as they get rolled out with firmware updates.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Just on battery issues (again):

Were there similar issues with the S2 in the early days?

Yep I remember them well! The GS2 lasted longer then the GS but had lag, after a few updates to the Firmware the lag and standby times were much improved.

I'm seeing that Cell standby thing too and have found a quick restart sorts it for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

I'm not overly impressed with the system for getting media onto the phone, but I'll get used to it.

What system?

What system?

Kies. But I've learned that I can drag and drop without using Kies. Ripping CDs into kies is very messy compared to itunes IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

What system?

Kies. But I've learned that I can drag and drop without using Kies. Ripping CDs into kies is very messy compared to itunes IMO

Kies is ****e. Try Media Monkey, drag and drop.

• Advertisement

What system?

Kies is ****e. Try Media Monkey, drag and drop.

I'll try that, thanks. Does it rip cds okay? My problem with kies was that it made a mess of tracks after ripping, putting them into its own idea of what albums they should be in rather than just ripping a cd to a single folder.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭elderlemon

You running on a windows pc? If so why not use media player. Rip the cd and the phone will show up in the the sync panel and then just drag and drop.
    I'll try that, thanks. Does it rip cds okay? My problem with kies was that it made a mess of tracks after ripping, putting them into its own idea of what albums they should be in rather than just ripping a cd to a single folder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭heyheyhey1982

Every time I make a phone call the person on the other end says they can barely hear me. It's got the the point of me shouting down the phone. It must be the way we hold it and where the speaker is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭s_carnage

Anyone notice that every so often (maybe twice a week) when you unlock your screen a few apps start up by themselves. It's always the same ones too. AIB internet banking, phonebook and three more I can't recall now.

elderlemon wrote: »
    You running on a windows pc? If so why not use media player. Rip the cd and the phone will show up in the the sync panel and then just drag and drop.

I use a PC at work and a Mac at home. As it happens, most of my media is on the PC, so thanks for the tip.

I'd also like to be able to rip easily on the Mac, though! iTunes rips really well, and I have found out how to drag and drop media from the iTunes library, but the cover art doesn't make the transition. Not a deal breaker, but it's nice to have the cover art.

Hi,

Just wondering, is there a way to get a little badge onto the messaging app to highlight if you have any unread messages, like on the iphone?

I know the notifications show up in the central notifications area, but an app badge is what I'm used to!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

Hi,

Just wondering, is there a way to get a little badge onto the messaging app to highlight if you have any unread messages, like on the iphone?

I know the notifications show up in the central notifications area, but an app badge is what I'm used to!
    Handcent SMS has a Widget with an unread messages counter, its waaaay better than the stock messaging app too

Hi,

It does. A little number will appear showing number of unread messages. Well it does on mine at least?

Also it will be in the status bar until you clear it...

It does. A little number will appear showing number of unread messages. Well it does on mine at least?

Also it will be in the status bar until you clear it...

I see it in the status bar alright, but defintley doesn't show up as a badge in the icon. I have the icon docked on my locke screen and main home screen, so a badge would be handy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

For those with the battery drain form cell standby.
    Have a read of this.

Advertisement